Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  10 mins ago
 kolla:  10 mins ago
 amigakit:  51 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  54 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 corb0:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  The Mystery Device Running OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
EntilZha 
Re: The Mystery Device Running OS4
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 14:50:57
#81 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@gary_c

Quote:
This "misinformation" is verified by one of the individuals involved in the negotiations.

No, it's not. See Senex' post, and read it entirely. I said, "Amiga, Inc prevented it from happening" is not the full story, and that's what Senex also said.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 14:53:35
# ]

@gnarly

(To the music of Knick Knack paddy wack)

Topaz 8, I do hate.
I get really quite irrate,
when people want to reiterate
that Topaz 8 is really great.

Last edited by DruidPoet on 24-Mar-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Report this post  
Loki1 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 15:31:01
#83 ]

@jd997uk

How about a full blown PPC based Digital Video Recorder with dual turners (with support for more) plus full AmigaOS 4.0 support.

All in a nice slim and attractive set-top case!

This would kick some serious #ss!

Loki

gnarly 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 15:48:42
#84 ]
Cult Member

@Nightcrawler

No, I think you'll find its grates.

It may have been good in 1985 but there's no excuse for it now

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 16:10:37
#85 ]
Elite Member

re:topaz 8

When I was on the TV with my A1200 when I first got it I changed my Workbench preferences to use Ruby 9 for everything other than fixed-width fonts. It looked much nicer.

As for the PDA there is a small bitmap font that came with OS 3.9 that worked nicely that would make a PDA look pretty. I used that after I got my 1084S monitor on my A1200 and the screen looked spacious at 640x200. (That and I switched all my drawer icons to be tiny 1 disk-sector miniatures. )

nzv58l 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 16:16:21
#86 ]

@DruidPoet

Quote:
(To the music of Knick Knack paddy wack)

Now I know your true identity. DruidPoet is really Barney the Dinosaur...

nzv58l 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 16:19:56
#87 ]

@Rogue

I just figured out what it is... It's that light sabre thing your holding in your avatar... Carefull, youll put your eye out with that thing!

AndrewKorn 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 16:37:43
#88 ]

@Dirk-B

Bah. 320x240? FAR too big.

@druidpoet

You should have come up with that little ditty a few years back. Dave Stroud was such an arch Topaz-hater he'd have probably given you a free sub to AmigActive for that.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 17:58:21
#89 ]
Elite Member

PDA market is massive. A cheap PDA would sell loads. It would be cooler than a PSP as it would be touch screen and be relativly open to development.

miksuh 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 18:04:19
#90 ]
Cult Member

@Kronos

Quote:
The gadgets (ReAction, MUI, GadTools, all of them), the ASL-requesters, the shell and all the other things that make up the Amiga-UI are completly unsuitable for such tiny devices.

Don't you remember we used Amiga in 640x256, 320x256 or smaller screenmode, are you a bit too used to something like 1280x1024 ?

Quote:
Sure one could replace all of those, but would that still be AmigaOS ? Or just another the OS with similar name and limited compability ?

Even if there would be new UI library I don't understand how it would change anything. Why it would not be AmigaOS anymore? MUI and Reaction are not original AmigaOS UI-libraries either.

Last edited by miksuh on 24-Mar-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Last edited by miksuh on 24-Mar-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Last edited by miksuh on 24-Mar-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Last edited by miksuh on 24-Mar-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 18:40:44
#91 ]
Elite Member

@miksuh
Quote:

miksuh wrote:
Even if there would be new UI library I don't understand how it would change anything. Why it would not be AmigaOS anymore? MUI and Reaction are not original AmigaOS UI-libraries either.

Actually BOOPSI is an Intuition extension so, in fact, all BOOPSI classes are extensions of the AmigaOS. Both MUI and ClassAct/ReAct use BOOPSI classes internally, however only the latter uses the file format that Commodore outlined in their documentation.

samos3.9 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 19:55:48
#92 ]

@Theodosius

Surely a sandwich cant be that bad, i mean a sandwich is a sandwich.
I mean a circus monkey could make a good sandwich.
Speaking of sandwiches is making me hungry.
I feel like a 1 metre stacked hight BANANNA SANDWICH!

Who here likes bananna sandwiches because my brother says im sick wen he sees me eating one for breakfast.

Sam.

gary_c 
Posted on 25-Mar-2005 1:00:23
#93 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
Then I propose you go and do indeed read Senex posting.

Do you mean this one?-->

Senex: "Yes, we were interested in licensing the name and OS4, yes we were ready to pay for it, yes we came to agreements with the respective parties - but right when the only thing left had just been to sign and transfer the money, surprisingly Mr. McEwen stepped in with sudden demands and restrictions which, to put it nicely, had not been economically acceptable for us - so that we finally listened to our advisors like PWC, who had been strongly suggesting to establish our own brand instead before already."

Or the earlier descriptions on other sites, which I was actually referring to and were essentially the same as the above?

Quote:
You where not involved in the negotiations, and as such, you should abstain from making unqualified comments, especially if you are not ready to reveal your source of information.

It's hard to believe you are actually responding to my specific post rather than just posting reactionary boilerplate. I made no "unqualified statements." I failed to "reveal my source of information" not because "I wasn't ready to" but because I don't like to name individuals as sources unless I have the URL on hand, as a matter of courtesy. Anyone, such as yourself, that wanted to question the veracity of the source could simply say, "Would you please hunt up the URL?" and I would gladly make the effort. No need for the confrontational attitude. You guys must be working under a lot of pressure.

Quote:
Until such time as you do, your credibility on this subject is non-existent.

Of course it is. I never claimed to have any credibility on this subject apart from having read Senex's description and passing it on. Wow, anyone for a beer?

-- gary_c

gary_c 
Posted on 25-Mar-2005 1:06:51
#94 ]
Cult Member

@EntilZha

Quote:
Quote:
This "misinformation" is verified by one of the individuals involved in the negotiations.

No, it's not. See Senex' post, and read it entirely. I said, "Amiga, Inc prevented it from happening" is not the full story, and that's what Senex also said.

Do you mean his post in this thread that I just quoted again? I don't see any cause of the negotiations breaking down other than Bill McEwen's last-minute demands that were unacceptable. Maybe there is more to the story than that, but I don't see any indication of it based on what has been said by those involved, so I think my summary stands. I'd be happy if anyone would like to more fully inform us.

-- gary_c

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Mar-2005 1:26:25
#95 ]
Elite Member

@gary_c

"Amiga, Inc prevented it from happening"

They where given an option to accept or not to accept an agreement, it where not up to Amiga Inc unless they where willing to change there mind about there demands, so the issue can not be blamed on one part! your blaming one part so your statment is false

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Mar-2005 at 01:27 AM.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 25-Mar-2005 1:40:06
#96 ]
Elite Member

@gary_c

What I read in there is "we had worked out a rough agreement, and before it was finalized a last-minute change was made that we didn't like, so we decided not to sign it". I don't know in what world you live in, but the rest of us are very familiar with last minute changes before things get signed. McEwen was the one who presented the changes, but it could have been anyone who asked for those changes to be made (accountants, lawyers, etc). Given how badly they've been punished for not carefully going over agreements before signing them, you can hardly blame Amiga Inc for being extra paranoid. You're trying to make it look like McEwen came in and ripped up the agreement on a whim, which is not what Senex was saying (and what the Friedens are probably referring to).

EntilZha 
Posted on 25-Mar-2005 1:50:16
#97 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@gary_c

Quote:
I don't see any cause of the negotiations breaking down other than Bill McEwen's last-minute demands that were unacceptable.

That's exactly what I mean.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Rogue 
Posted on 25-Mar-2005 1:53:57
#98 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@gary_c

You don't get the point, do you? It says "Mr. McEwen". It does not say "Amiga Inc".

Ah, nevermind. It's probably a "sides" issue for most of you folks anyway.

Fransexy 
Posted on 25-Mar-2005 2:17:28
#99 ]
Elite Member

@jd997uk

i wish that be a pda but my vote is for the pegasos
why? because the pegasos is the most seemed to an amigaone and maybe the os4 can run on it with minor modifications and may be the friedens brothers have tried a port to verify how difficult is to port to other hardware, but it has not been done officially because there has been no deal with genesis, and that is the reason for which EntilZha must to kill you if he says you; because if not, you would buy a pegasos instead of amigaone

Last edited by Fransexy on 25-Mar-2005 at 02:20 AM.

gary_c 
Posted on 25-Mar-2005 3:59:11
#100 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
You don't get the point, do you? It says "Mr. McEwen". It does not say "Amiga Inc".

Ah, now the light comes on. I'm sorry; I assumed Mr. McEwen, as an officer of Amiga, Inc., represented the company in this matter, which seems to me a natural assumption (since he was the company president and is now a vice president). It's very odd that if he didn't represent Amiga, Inc., he was able to interject himself in the discussions and subsequently derail them. I wonder in what capacity he was acting, then, if not as an Amiga, Inc. representative. And I wonder, if Amiga, Inc. had one position and Mr. McEwen had another, why his prevailed rather than the company's. This wouldn't seem to bode well for future negotiations between the company and potential business partners.

Well, it's water under the bridge now, and doesn't really matter to me at all, other than being an interesting little story. I'm not really sure I want to hear the Machiavellian details anyway.

Quote:
It's probably a "sides" issue for most of you folks anyway.

Not in my case. I think these events are interesting in their own right, and can be discussed independently without any "sides" context. Personally, I don't really see much of a competition any more. I'm wondering if MorphOS is going to survive the upheavals of its dev team, and I wonder if the AmigaOne will survive beyond the sales to longtime supporters. Both "sides" seem almost doomed to fail, though the short term is interesting. Maybe we'll see some kind of mutation of the projects as they try to find some survival path, but I don't think -- at this point -- they're competing with each other so much as each simply struggling to find some rationale for continued existence.

-- gary_c

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle