Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
5618 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
Home
Features
News
Forums
Classifieds
Links
Downloads
Extras
OS4 Zone
IRC Network
AmigaWorld Radio
Newsfeed
Top Members
Amiga Dealers
Information
About Us
FAQs
Advertise
Polls
Terms of Service
Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

(Uses JAVA Applet and Port 1024)
Visit the Chatroom Website

Who's Online
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.


 samo79

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 samo79:  4 mins ago
 gregthecanuck:  34 mins ago
 Barret:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 ed:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Jasper:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 simplex:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 Amiboy:  3 hrs 42 mins ago
 JayCee:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 Chris_Y:  4 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 18:51:50
# ]



@Theodosius

You could have awaited my reply to your PM. It seems you are kind of trigger happy in all kind of ways. I am sorry this happened.

Quote:
Quote:

Theodosius wrote:
OK, if you want, I am going to put that post of yours up in a different thread. It will be totally unmoderated. There will be a link to that thread from which it was taken from. We'll let the poeple decide whether what was written was necessary to have remained. Don't complain to anyone if the the users start trashing your post. Nor will I accept or process any Abuse Reports filed against you or by you or for you.


1. The thread was locked away and forgotten many days ago now. In amigaworlds IRC-style posting culture, this mean it's ancient history since a long time back.

2. My reply was to some corporate representatives that I have seen (IMO) mudslinging (repeatedly) and accusing certain *other* corporate representatives of bad conduct online. Don't missunderstand me. I respect their full right to have whatever opinions they like, and also posting it here or otherwhere. I like discussing things online. My main point with my (removed) post was to point out that "bad conduct online" isn't quite as unique to only one party as they tried to make it look like, but goes for other corporate representatives as well, and that scars will never heal if someone constantly scratches them.

3. Creating a new thread for my reply would be a very strange thing to do. Doing that would look totally silly, out of context and strange, it would look like an attack instead of a reply and this would indeed cause people to get upset. As you probably noticed if you read my post, my intention was never to upset people, only to point out that not a single corporate representative (from *any* company in this community) has a flawless track record on "online conduct", they have all been similar bad in the past, and they are all similar good since a year back or so. That's all!

Quote:
Why am I doing this? I just read your cr4p over at moo. I decided to protect you and even stated that it was not trollish. Seems as though you just can't control yourself and have to nag like a four year old over one bloody post...


A. Thank you for your kind offer, but as you see from my reasoning above, it would be a very bad idea, no point, and I have to decline (however, I spent a great deal of time writing that post, and if it isn't too much to ask, I would like it as a PM so I can paste it the next time the situation calls for it).

B. As far as I can remember, I have never, ever been moderated, on any site. I take pride in my online conduct. I spent around half an hour writing that post, carefully choosing the wordings, and a few seconds after I post it, you delete it. You may think I am overreacting, but I think you haven't got a clue about how insulting that is. I demand no special treatment, just a *fair* treatment.

C. You can't "unmoderate" things. You simply can't, no matter how much you want to. And moderation often have more negative consequences than positive consequences, sometimes an entire avalanche of consequences as seen from this site, but also others. You should have that in mind when you moderate, and you will have to live with any consequences your actions bring!

D. With the above in mind - You moderators here are *waaay* to trigger happy, sometimes moderating things without thinking it seems. Many things of "the cr4p" you see over at moobunny are caused by summary moderation on this site. In fact, that very thread "was created" by the moderators on this site. Less is more when it comes to moderation. Take part in the conversation and try to steer it your way, instead of killing it.

 
     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 18:54:38
# ]



@DruidPoet

Quote:

DruidPoet wrote:
@Theodosius

I think posting this thread just fuels the fire.


Wise words.

 
     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:01:14
# ]



@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@DruidPoet

Funny thing was, when it was at its worst with campaigns to get all links to amigaworld.net removed from other sites and the site made an outcast the visitors to the site just kept growing and growing at an ever faster pace, along with site traffic.


Funny thing is how the site came to be. Some time back I had very difficult to picture myself being here because of that reason. I came here some time back, ignoring the warnings from others, thinking what the h*ll, it's just another amiga site, right? But I can't say I think it's fun being here now, I realize more and more that this is a very strange place ...

 
     Report this post  
The_Editor 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:04:21
#24 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 7-Mar-2003
Posts: 7626
From: 192.168.0.02 ..Pederburgh .. Iceni

@takemehomegrandma

I too, am very strange !!

_________________
******************************************
I dont suffer from Insanity - I enjoy it

******************************************

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:12:04
# ]



@GregS

Quote:

GregS wrote:
@Theodosius
Amigaworld was for me and is for many others I suspect a refuge, a refuge from FUD and trolling. Also from just bad manners and pointless rudeness. We will never get it 100% right as moderators, we would be kidding ourselves if we thought we could.

...



I appreciate the difficulties in being a moderator, but you would have it far more easy if you "only" took on the role that a moderator has on practically all other sites, where moderation is something extreme, the very last resort, not something you do a couple of times per day just to make worth for your moderator status.

See my reply to "Theodosius" in this thread.

You can't "unmoderate" things, if you try to (like this?), it may only become worse. So be careful with the knife in the first place ...

 
     Report this post  
fjudde 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:13:12
#26 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 12-Mar-2003
Posts: 146
From: Stockholm/Sweden

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
But I can't say I think it's fun being here now, I realize more and more that this is a very strange place ...


If you don’t like what’s on the telly, change the channel or turn it off. If you don’t like this site, change to another site.

_________________
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:20:41
# ]



@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
Heres the thing, see Report Abuse button? Hit the f**king thing! It is what it is there for!


I am sorry, but I don't like the idea of "abuse buttons" at all, to me that feels like being an annonymous informer to some kind of secret police.

If I have something to say, I like it better to say something straight up.

Quote:
Quote:

These posts are most often left untouched.
But otherwise you could almost wonder if the site admins have some kind of commission to edit/remove posts, lock threads down or banning people they don't like. It sure looks that way.


You are one two faced hypocrite takemehomegrandma,


How is that?

I try hard to be clear with who I am and what I think!

Quote:
that remark is seriously uncalled for, and if you truly believe it
don't let me keep you here.


Well, all this seems to be the "most uncalled for competition" day to me, so ...

 
     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:26:42
# ]



@The_Editor

Quote:

The_Editor wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

I too, am very strange !!



Indeed!

 
     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:28:26
# ]



@fjudde

Quote:

fjudde wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
But I can't say I think it's fun being here now, I realize more and more that this is a very strange place ...


If you don’t like what’s on the telly, change the channel or turn it off. If you don’t like this site, change to another site.


I'll do just that. For now at least ...

 
     Report this post  
Rogue 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:43:54
#30 ]
OS4 Core Developer
Joined: 14-Jul-2003
Posts: 3999
From: Unknown

@Whoever wrote this:

Quote:
BBRV was (as was others, like Fleecy, Ben Hermans, Alan Redhouse, etc, etc) very present in Amiga forums some year back or so. And you, of all people, should know how impossible it is to post things, outline new directions, suggest things, etc on public forums in this community, without upsetting a lot of people.


There is a mile of difference between "suggesting things" and posting other people's private phone number in a public forum with the intent of getting this person harassed by their own BF's.

There is a mile of difference between "suggesting things" and openly posting private email, without actually asking for permission.

Sorry, this is not about the usual posting that would be considered controversial. This was about threatening people, giving out private detail. If you can point me to similar postings from Fleecy, Ben Hermans or Alan Redhouse, I would be *very* surprised.

Quote:
Whatever certain people say, there is always some people who will get upset in some way and throw #### at you in one way or another


Well, if I would tell people to pirate MorphOS, or demand that someone somehow "make it available" on the AmigaOne, this is not "suggesting things" but rather (in my book - maybe other people's idea about this varies) a call for piracy.

Quote:
However, you two seems to be of the opinion that this is something that goes for BBRV only (and I think we all can understand why).


You either willfully or accidentially miss the point. I wasn't talking about different opinions or directions, but about direct threats, breach of confidentiality and a call for people to break the law. If you can point me to where I did some such thing, I'd be very surprised.

So please don't sell me for a fool.

Quote:
Whatever you say about BBRV, I can easily mirror it back to Ben Hermans, Alan Redhouse, Fleecy, etc, etc


Tell me a posting where Fleecy leaked a private phone number.
Tell me a posting where Alan Redhouse called for others to pirate software.
Tell me a posting where Ben Hermans leaked a private email.

If you can, I'll grant you have some point. If you can't, then you don't.

Quote:
But I must say that I think it is a little ugly, and it gives a bad aftertaste, to see you two (as the corporate representatives you are, and for OS4 as well) descending down to the level I talked about above by constantly repeating that mantra of yours at every single chance you get, fueling any fires that would have burnt out long time ago if only some people wouldn't prevent that by constantly fueling them.


I think I have said multiple times that I don't represent any ####ing cmpany, but it seems that some people cannot udnerstand that. Again, if you can tell me any real proof other than that general chit-chat, go ahead, otherwise don't tell me nothing about "levels" - you have't seen me playing it ugly. If I really wanted that, things would get a lot meaner.

For crying out loud, I never posted my opinion about MorphOS because I ####ing have none. I never seen it, never used it, and have no intention of ever doing so. I have never seen a Pegasos except at some shows. I don't like Genesi's policy, and I don't have any sympathy for their head honcho, and in fact I never made a big deal out of that. What I don't ###ing like is when people like takemehomegrandma or redrumloa post this on forums that I seldom or never read just to be able to #### around with me.

_________________
Seriously, if you want to contact me do not bother sending me a PM here. Write me a mail

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
EntilZha 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 19:51:40
#31 ]
OS4 Core Developer
Joined: 27-Aug-2003
Posts: 1679
From: The Jedi Academy, Yavin 4

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
Wise words.


Then why didn't you swallow yours before you wrote such a ####.

Show me one single post where I was ranting about Pegasos, Genesi or MorphOS ? Just one ?

No ? So don't go to Moobunny and tell people there I would. I normally don't read Moobunny for sanity reasons, so if you want to dis me, do it here or shut the frell up.

I'm really fed up with this ####.

_________________
Thomas, the kernel guy

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 20:03:20
#32 ]
OS4 Core Developer
Joined: 14-Jul-2003
Posts: 3999
From: Unknown

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
corporate representatives


To err is human, but for the one millions time, I DO NOT REPRESENT HYPERION. I AM NOT EVEN EMPLOYED BY HYPERION. I AM A CONTRACTOR, AND AS SUCH CANNOT REPRESENT HYPERION BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER CONNECTION TO THEM.

Quote:
mudslinging (repeatedly) and accusing certain *other* corporate representatives of bad conduct online


Repeatedly? I don't think so. You will at most find three or four postings by me on the topics of leaking out private phone numbers, leaking private emails and asking for people to pirate a product.

Quote:
Creating a new thread for my reply would be a very strange thing to do


Well, it certainly didn't stop you posting on Moobunny. Starting a thread here is strange, bull####ing on Moobunny is ok? Strange logic, really.

Quote:
out of context


But on Moobunny it is totally IN context, right? yeah, sure.

Quote:
they have all been similar bad in the past, and they are all similar good since a year back or so.


You cannot refer to me there, because I

A. am no coroprate representative.
B. have never asked people to pirate other company's software.
C. have never leaked any private email
D. have never leaked any private phone number.

Quote:
however, I spent a great deal of time writing that post, and if it isn't too much to ask, I would like it as a PM so I can paste it the next time the situation calls for it


Maybe next time you could consider writing me a PM instead of trying to throw me to the friendly crowd on Moobunny for dissection. Thank you.

Quote:
Take part in the conversation and try to steer it your way, instead of killing it.


Yeah, that's going to be fun on Moobunny. I didn't try to read the other posts there to keep my blood pressure down, yours was already enough for me to get it up to 180.

_________________
Seriously, if you want to contact me do not bother sending me a PM here. Write me a mail

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 20:04:15
#33 ]
OS4 Core Developer
Joined: 14-Jul-2003
Posts: 3999
From: Unknown

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
I am sorry, but I don't like the idea of "abuse buttons" at all, to me that feels like being an annonymous informer to some kind of secret police.


Ohhh, I understand. You prefer Moobunny.

_________________
Seriously, if you want to contact me do not bother sending me a PM here. Write me a mail

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
shoe 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 20:27:23
#34 ]
Super Member
Joined: 14-Sep-2003
Posts: 1584
From: Gothenburg, Sweden

@Thread,

hey hey hey.. Easy now.. Take a step back. Turn around. And walk away. It won't make anyone happier trying to explain all this crap.

Man .. I thought all this had passed. That good times was acommin'. Seems I was wrong. But anyways, I had totally missed that first thread that got locked, but now I had to visit bunny and read that post. Now I'm just nauseous.


Belive me: Ignorance IS bliss.


Let me know when this place is safe again..


p.s.
@Hyperion (and their contractors ) Keep up the good work! With OS4 the Amiga shall rise again! Hallelujah!

/shoe

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Coder 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 21:02:50
#35 ]
Team Member
Joined: 15-May-2003
Posts: 4523
From: The Netherlands

@shoe

I believe we have a record for having the word f###### so many times in a forum thread. But hey it is a good thing to blow of some steam at certain times.

Coder

_________________
Can't get enough of me?
The Bucket Diary Blog
The Bucket Diary Twitter Account

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
cecilia 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 22:38:27
#36 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 18-Oct-2004
Posts: 860
From: Amiga Land

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
But then there is this little group of people, of which you two seems to be included, that simply ignores this and constantly repeats this "mantra" that no-one should want to have anything to do with BBRV (and BBRV only!) because of their cunduct online, even if their conduct online has been quite flawless for a very long time by now.

What a load of cow-pies!

Maybe you should do some behind the scene investigating. Then you might find out exactly how unscrupulous BBRV are!

They have damned themselves with their own words and their own actions.

They insult people in public AND in private. They live in a deluded universe where everything revolves around them. The only reason they are "quiet" at the moment is because they are hoping to return when they think it's safe and everyone has forgotten.

Well, I NEVER forget. and I NEVER forgive. I'll be right here, reminding everyone of their stench.

_________________
"In terms of worship, I worship the God of Irony.
That's the only God that I know exists." Terry Gilliam

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
L8-X 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 22:42:24
#37 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 24-Dec-2002
Posts: 2630
From: Glasgow, UK

@TMHG

My take on this type of thing is that your post was never meant to have appeared. When the moderator has called time on a thread, anything posted inbetween the thread lock announcement and actioning can and should be removed. It was removed retrospectively. I'm sorry you have a problem with this, but if yours had stood, no doubt someone would have PM'd me to insert their reply. This has already happened to me in the past and I've been in numerous PM's with people bitching about not being able to reply to someones posting.

When the threads locked...its locked, end of story.

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 5-Apr-2005 23:59:05
#38 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 22-Dec-2004
Posts: 3390
From: Freedom world

@Rogue

Quote:

I wasn't talking about different opinions or directions, but about direct threats, breach of confidentiality and a call for people to break the law. If you can point me to where I did some such thing, I'd be very surprised.


Unproven "MorphOS is based on illegal source code" from Hermans, anyone?


URL 1
Quote:

1) In my opinion a a lawyer, MorphOS violates the intellectual property of Amiga Inc for which they paid 4.5 million dollar. It's a well known fact that the MorphOS people are using the OS 3.1 source-code.



URL 2
Quote:

Let me repeat it: as long as MorphOS allows for OS 3.x to be installed and OS 3.x compatible products to be run, it will constitute "unfair and parasitic competition" under German law.



URL 3
Quote:

MorphOS: is a product which is considered to be illegal by Amiga Inc.



The last quote also suggests that Amiga Inc was with this slandering game.


Cant say I'm particularly happy with Genesi either. But at least the development teams are doing their best.

_________________
Amiga Developer
Amiga 500, Efika, Mac Mini and PowerBook

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
GregS 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 0:26:03
#39 ]
Super Member
Joined: 28-Apr-2003
Posts: 1797
From: Perth Australia

@itix
Quote:
Unproven "MorphOS is based on illegal source code" from Hermans, anyone?


Unproven perhaps. No let me make this clear. This accusation was based on eyewitness evidence from a respected person, as you know. However, what was actually witnessed is open to debate.

For those that don't know this is based on someone seeing original source code comments from Amiga Inc IP material in some MorphOS code.

Now this was all that was seen and does not constitute, in itself, a breech of copyright. A reasonable suspicion is not proof of course, but then nor is raising this in the form of accusation wrong in itself.

Let everyone please be clear no damning proof has been found and this may be entirely based on no more than a breech of coding etiquette.

The accusation has been denied, though it has never been clear to me who the coder that was responsible, it is entirely possible that no one is lying in sorry little issue and no IP has been misused.. Moreover, whatever was there may by now no longer exist in any form and any IP issue long sidestepped.

In the entire sorry episode other than denials and accusations (now running both ways) there was no attempt made to investigate the accusatiion. It is just another one of those God awful messes.

SO:
It may be a case that a breech was made or was not, but the accusation was not made without evidence.

Conclusion:
Yet another storm in the tea cup.

_________________
Greg Schofield, Perth Australia

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 0:43:37
#40 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 22-Dec-2004
Posts: 3390
From: Freedom world

@GregS

Quote:

This accusation was based on eyewitness evidence from a respected person, as you know.


Dave Haynie, I presume?

Dunno. However MorphOS was not the first re-implementing Exec. See this:
AmiExec.lha
AmiExec.readme

_________________
Amiga Developer
Amiga 500, Efika, Mac Mini and PowerBook

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright 2000 - 2017 Amigaworld.net.

Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle