Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  26 secs ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 matthey:  28 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  39 mins ago
 RobertB:  41 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  What should "entry level hardware" be like?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
PosterThread
Crumb 
Re: What should "entry level hardware" be like?
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 8:54:22
#161 ]
Elite Member

@Troika

contact Dennis, the miniMig guy to integrate his FPGA implementation of custom chips and make a PPC AGA compatible miggy ;-P

Profile     Report this post  
CodeSmith 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 9:10:01
#162 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Um, IIRC the 2272 is a peripheral controller, meaning that it can't be used in host mode.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 11:31:18
#163 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Doh!

Ok, I didn't see that at all. So, it'll unfortunately have to be PCI based, which completely sucks, layout wise.

PCI topology will be something along the lines of:
Bus 1: SoC PCI2 - µATX slot 7
Bus 2: SoC PCI1 - µATX slot 6 - PLX6150 66MHz
Bus 3: PLZ6150 33MHz - USB controller - µATX slot 5 - µATX slot 4

And before you ask, the slot numbers refer to the µATX specification.
So far I've made a µATX-compliant starting point, with screw holes, IO backplate and PCI slots. We've got quite some distance ahead of us

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 13:11:10
#164 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Ok, new chip. It's got 2 OHC and 1 EHC controllers, 5 external ports, and will route signals to the corresponding controller based on bitrate (so a 480Mbps port will be connected to the EHC, and a 12Mbps will be connected to one of the OHCs).

So, is the USB driver in OS4 OHC or UHC, and who do I have to sleep with to get an EHC driver?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 16:13:13
#165 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Seems the SoC is even cheaper than I feared. Just found the price $91 quoted at the EBV websearch.

16 weeks lead time, so I should order up a handful right away if I want to have them by summer

CodeSmith 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 17:33:14
#166 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Yeah, sorry to rain on your parade... I knew about this chip, because it's the one that the gp2x handheld uses internally. There was some hope initially in the user community for the ability to plug all manner of USB peripherals to it, but after some research it was discovered (by the user community, I'm sure the company that makes the device knew all along ) that the chip is for peripherals only. I was actually half-hoping that you'd slap me silly and tell me "see, here in the datasheet it says it can do host too"

Here's a crazy idea... can't you use a PLD (CPLD/FPGA) as glue logic so that the PCI USB chip talks to the system like it was an SRAM? would that simplify layout or not really make a difference?

olegil 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 19:19:53
#167 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

That would just be silly, since there are already three PCI busses on the board

I'll be placing a NEC 5-port USB host controller (3 controllers and 5 ports in one chip) next to the PCI bridge, on the 33MHz PCI bus. All in all, it ain't too bad.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 19:22:08
#168 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Btw, can't you just make a really simple USB host based on a 48MHz Atmel AVRUSB microcontroller that acts like a repeater between two peripherals? Should be doable, and cheap

nzv58l 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 20:20:02
#169 ]

@olegil

Olegil, I'm not that much of a tech with hardware. In laymans terms, how hard would it be to make a board with a backbone on it? Are the connectors too expensive or could you use any kind of cheap connector and just wire it in?

I would like to see a board with a backbone type design with a through port so as you add devices you could sort of daisy chain them together and turn a small system into a monster. That way you could add things to your system without having much wasted space or problems with running out of room.

I think if it could be done it would make sense because you not only get to sell a mainboard, but you could also sell expansion boards that piggyback onto the backbone.

Would it be difficult to make a backbone that would be for any of the following expansion units? :

PCI
PCIE
Floppy Drive with a PCI port for a catweasle
CPU for a co-processor. ( I know OS4 is not there yet, but it looks like multiCPU support is at least a thought at this time)
Extra memory
AGP port
A legasy support expansion - zorro, video slot, AGA for compatability.

I see the expansions as sort of a simple board that allows extra things to be added to the system. I think the PCI or PCI E or AGP would probably be easy to do, however the legasy support expansion might be a bear. CPU co-processor I see might be a challange as well.

I tried to post my idea, but I am not sure how to get a picture to stick so I will send you the picture directly in a PM to see what you think.

olegil 
Posted on 9-Feb-2006 13:04:48
#170 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Hmm, seems the OS4 driver is UHCI.

Ok, I really really really need OHCI and EHCI drivers for this to become a reality.

Coder 
Posted on 9-Feb-2006 13:07:31
#171 ]
Team Member

@olegil

Quote:
Ok, I really really really need OHCI and EHCI drivers for this to become a reality.

How about setting up a site on which you can ask what you need and other relevant info? I always seem to miss info. Everything in one place.

Coder

olegil 
Posted on 9-Feb-2006 14:23:35
#172 ]
Elite Member

@Coder

I'm still in the brainstorming phase of operation

Needless to say, in a short while I'll either shut up or go official on y'all

Coder 
Posted on 11-Feb-2006 12:09:18
#173 ]
Team Member

@olegil

I hope you go on.

Coder

Samwel 
Posted on 11-Feb-2006 12:21:38
#174 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Hey wasn't they supposed to be working on a OHCI driver for OS4 final?!
I remember someone (Rogue?) saying as much. I could be wrong though.

EHCI was a totally other matter which they would not make a clear statement
about. If you don't take "Maybe", "If we got time" and "when it's done" as
clear statements.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 26-Jul-2017 19:02:32
#175 ]
Cult Member

After doing some thought about the A1222, I remembered starting this thread over ten years ago. Looking over many of the comments, I found some interesting things. Olegil began making plans for an AMC440 based system. A year later ACube brought out the SAM440ep. This thread may have been more important than I thought it would ever be to the Amiga community.

Our threads are rifled with negative attacks on how underpowered the A1222 is. Yet, it fits many of the requirements this 2006 thread required. It is under 400 Euro. It is an entry level machine running at 1.2 GHz. It runs AmigaOS 4.1 FE. The only thing that it lacks is expandability (single slot). With that said, it is now 2017. Should our idea of an entry level PPC AmigaOS machine be brought up to date, or are our current hardware offerings sufficient for AmigaOS needs, and Amiga user wallets?

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Jul-2017 19:42:19
#176 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Hail fellow thread Necromancer!

Tabor has enough expansion possibilities (PCIe for GFX, RAM expansion, SATA, USB). This is much better than uA1 or SAM440ep. If the price is right, it could be ideal entry level machine.

Quote:
Our threads are rifled with negative attacks on how underpowered the A1222 is.

Slow and noncompatible FPU for sure is not good choice. We don´t know real performance penalty, so there is plenty of space for speculations.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 26-Jul-2017 20:09:00
#177 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:
Hail fellow thread Necromancer!

Good threads don't die, they merely are archived.

You are quite right about expansion. I overlooked the expansion possibilities opened up by something as simple as a USB port. USB is not just for keyboards, mice, printers, scanners, and storage devices, but for audio expansion, video capture, and a whole host of other things.

With your point taken, the A1222 meets all of the requirements of this "walking thread."

iggy 
Posted on 26-Jul-2017 20:23:45
#178 ]

@PhantomInterrogative

Quote:
..."walking thread"

Ah, where is Rick Grimes when you need him?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle