Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  29 mins ago
 Rob:  49 mins ago
 OlafS25:  53 mins ago
 zipper:  56 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Luc:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 9:13:28
# ]

Yes, yet another x86 topic. I know Hyperion might not be so keen on having AmigaOS4 ported to x86, but it's time to really fight for the future of the Amiga.
It's time to be realistic and everbody can more or less say that Amiga needs x86 in order to really be on the pair with Windows and MacOS X that now runs on Intel...

Amiga seems to be the only platform which wants to only use PPC, even for desktop. It's easy to see that PPC doesn't do well in the desktop market anymore. I don't understand why it's so important to focus almost 100% on the embeddet market for the AmigaOS4, leaving the desktop market more or less for dying, when it comes to the Amiga? It would be so much better if AmigaOS4 when finished, could be ported to x86, and there would be even more fun and a lot of x86 games and software could be ported easier and faster. x86 hardware is also much cheaper, much more powerful, faster and better, and also deadly easy to get everywhere. Amiga PPC hardware is much more difficult and very limited to get. Also much more expensive. Might be more powerful, but again more expensive and usually on a very limit range when released. How Hyperion with partners want to change that, remain to be seen, but if Rogue and Hyperion thought that the x86-debate is ended, then they are wrong. It isn't and will never be. Amiga needs x86, and we all know that. Even i do know...

Could someone make a poll about something similar about x86? Hopefully Hyperion will finally wake up and understand that Amiga won't survive without supporting x86.

Last edited by Helgis on 08-Jun-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Last edited by Helgis on 08-Jun-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Last edited by Helgis on 08-Jun-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Report this post  
afxgroup 
Re: Why AmigaOS Should Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 9:18:47
#2 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
nd there would be even more fun and a lot of x86 games and software could be ported easier and faster

why?

Profile     Report this post  
polka. 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 9:33:07
#3 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
It's time to be realistic and everbody can more or less say that Amiga needs x86 in order to really be on the pair with Windows and MacOS X that now runs on Intel...

Although I agree that going x86 would make our AOS much more popular (than 1000-2000 users), I don't think this would mean that AOS is automatically "on pair" with OS X and Windows. AOS is seriously lags behind these OS and this isn't about to change in the future.

Quote:
How Hyperion with partners want to change that, remain to be seen, but if Rogue and Hyperion thought that the x86-debate is ended, then they are wrong.

Yes, but we won't be able to change that. I am sure Hyperion will never port OS4.0 to x86. What happens after the release of OS4.0 final, who will develop the OS further to 4.x and 5.x, on what platform that will be, is not clear yet. There is still also the possibility that there is noone willing to further invest into this tiny PPC market and considering a port to x86 as an investment that is not viable. That's when AOS4 on the desktop will be doomed.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 9:35:06
#4 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@polka.

To Quote a bowl of Petunias "Oh no, not again!"

wizz.

Last edited by Wizzard_o on 08-Jun-2006 at 09:35 AM.

jahc 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 9:45:47
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

The decision has been made already. It's not going to be reversed.

RockDemon 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 9:51:07
#6 ]

@Helgis

Surely they should finish the PPC version before thinking about what else is out there... Bit late to start re-engineering it now...

Rich.

yoodoo2 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 9:51:59
#7 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
I know Hyperion might not be so keen on having AmigaOS4 ported to x86

PLEASE get it into your head that Hyperion do not have any say in the matter.

They only have a license for PPC. They only have a license for 4.0. Beyond that, it is still Amiga Inc's call.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 9:57:19
# ]

@jahc

Having Hyperion to not even explain why they don't want AmigaOS on x86, is just simply patethic and the question might be if Hyperion does have a realistic future for the Amiga anyway?

@Polka

I know we have had a lot of fights about PPC vs x86 and i know x86 would strongly be needed for AmigaOS. I don't expect AmigaOS to be quite on the pair with Windows or MacOS X, at least not in the beginning, but would perhaps be easier for AmigaOS to become on the pair of them both...

I don't really understand why Hyperion is so worried to port AmigaOS4 to x86. I don't really see the problem. It would definitely save a lot. Leaving Hyperion themselves not to explain why not might raise a question if Hyperion really does have a realistic future for the Amiga or not? Everybody else would be keen to port AmigaOS4 to x86. I mean the way AmigaOS has become today, which OS4 shows...

Polka, i never thought i should agree a lot with you, but i honestly do. I have grownt tired of the unrealistical dreams some of the big players in the Amiga markets have, like believing that PPC is the only way forward for the Amiga, when it seems more or less that PPC has failed the desktop market where x86 hasn't...Why ONLY focusing about 100 precent on the Embeddet market, is beyond my understanding...

Report this post  
Jacken 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:01:56
#9 ]

@Helgis

They have explained it over and over again why, so please do a search in the forum before you dragg this up again...(to late for that)

Framiga 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:04:07
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

first of all wellcome back

About the thread... have you read yoodoo2 reply? If i may suggest you something... Helgis, are you looking for troubles again?

Rogue 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:04:31
#11 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
but if Rogue and Hyperion thought that the x86-debate is ended, then they are wrong. It isn't and will never be

I am sorry, Helgis, but that debate never started, because those that could actually do a decision have made that decision a long time ago.

Oh and....

Quote:
Having Hyperion to not even explain why they don't want AmigaOS on x86, is just simply patethic and the question might be if Hyperion does have a realistic future for the Amiga anyway?

We did explain, more than once, and if you do a search here on the topic you will find the reasons.

I am sorry your blew your PSU, but I'm sorry you would blow things up regardless of the CPU.

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:04:54
# ]

@Jacken

Okay, we know that Hyperion doesn't have the rights or can say anything about a port of AmigaOS4 to x86. Actually, i asked Amiga Inc about that and they have considered it. It's a question about when it will actually happen. Perhaps they understand the great need to port an OS like AmigaOS4 to x86...

Even that x86-topics have been explained over and over again, it won't end here. The debate will continue. If not by me, then by others...The debate will continue until we actually see the new AmigaOS on x86...

Report this post  
EntilZha 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:07:15
#13 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
there would be even more fun and a lot of x86 games and software could be ported easier and faster.

Sorry, but that's cow manure.

Quote:
but if Rogue and Hyperion thought that the x86-debate is ended, then they are wrong. It isn't and will never be

Oh, yeah, it is over. It actually never started, simply because x86 was never the plan.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:08:27
# ]

@Rogue

This is no longer about my PSU being dead. So many in here want AmigaOS on x86. Why is that a problem? If Hyperion is not going to ever port AmigaOS4 to x86, i'm sure Amiga Inc will find another company or partners to do the job...

You are aware that PPC as a desktop has died, right? PPC is mostly only focused into the embeddet market and in game consoles. Why should AmigaOS 4 only be focused for the embeddet market is beyond me. x86 still dominates the desktop market, so why not save the Amiga also as a desktop and simplify a lot by porting AmigaOS4 (the new AmigaOS, in other words) to x86? Would save a lot, i can assure you that. I don't mean any harm to either you or your company, but don't you think it's time to be realistic and stop dreaming outside reality?

Last edited by Helgis on 08-Jun-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Report this post  
jahc 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:12:21
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Stop asking "why why why".. they've given reasons time and time again. Use the search function like everyones suggesting.

And btw, its spelt "embedded" not "embeddet".

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:14:06
# ]

@EntilZha

Then explain to me how you as a company believe that PPC is the way forward. It might be for the embeddet market, but for the desktop market, the PPC has failed. Apple moving away from PPC as a desktop provd that, as they went for x86...

Why not do like this? Support PPC/Cell for Embeddet, and x86 for Amiga desktop?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:14:56
# ]

@Framiga

Thanks. No, i'm not looking for troubles. Why do so many think that mention AmigaOS4 for x86 is causing troubles? I don't get it...

Report this post  
jahc 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:14:59
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
You are aware that PPC as a desktop has died, right?

What about PASemi's chips in development? They've given a roadmap towards 16 core chips in 2007. The PPC situation isnt as rosy as we'd like it to be, but I wouldnt say its dead.

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:18:53
# ]

@jahc

Believe me when i say i really, really want PPC to rise again as a desktop system and new technology that IBM and P.A Semi seems to provide are very interesting,
but until now it has been very hard to believe that PPC would bring Amiga forward, also as a desktop. I'm trying to convince people that supporting 2 most important and most used CPU-platforms like x86 and PPC are very, very important, even for the Amiga...

Report this post  
EntilZha 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:20:25
#20 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
Okay, we know that Hyperion doesn't have the rights or can say anything about a port of AmigaOS4 to x86

Then why the frell even bring up this stupid thread when you actually know that we couldn't, even if we wanted to (not that we do, of course) ?

In one post, you write:
Quote:
Leaving Hyperion themselves not to explain why not might raise a question if Hyperion really does have a realistic future for the Amiga or not?

Now, you say:
Quote:
Even that x86-topics have been explained over and over again, it won't end here.

Ohhh.. in your other post, you said we didn't explain, now you say we explained it over and over ? Well, are you talking BS now or then ?

Quote:
The debate will continue. If not by me, then by others...The debate will continue until we actually see the new AmigaOS on x86...

Or hell freezes over...

Give it a rest, really. Re-iterating this topic over and over will not achieve anything.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle