Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  4 mins ago
 amigang:  20 mins ago
 pixie:  29 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  43 mins ago
 kriz:  48 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 JimS:  5 hrs 38 mins ago
 Hans:  5 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Stephen_Robinson 
Re: Why AmigaOS Should Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:21:19
#21 ]

@Helgis

You come back from being banned and the first thing you do is bring up the done to death i386 question.

Why not do your own poll anyway? Why ask someone to do it for you?

Also, I think you're right about going to i386, but that's not really the point of this Whinge.

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:23:56
#22 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
but for the desktop market, the PPC has failed. Apple moving away from PPC as a desktop provd that, as they went for x86...

Apple went for Intel because they get better prices for their iPod CPU's then.

EntilZha 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:24:21
#23 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
Then explain to me how you as a company believe that PPC is the way forward

As I said, we already did explain multiple times, and I'm not going to explain it to you _again_. Read the fora from a while back when I was still posting here to read up on what I had to say (if you don't want to read Rogue's posts again).

Quote:
for the desktop market, the PPC has failed

Surprise: The desktop market is firmly in the hands of Windows. If Windows were to run on 68k suddenly, it would be firmly in the hands of 68k.

Quote:
Apple moving away from PPC as a desktop provd that, as they went for x86...

Apple moving away from PPC was a political decision, and had nothing to do with the PPC. One company making a false move does not prove anything.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:24:43
# ]

@EntilZha

Don't get me wrong when i say i really want PPC to be a popular desktop platform and not only for the embedded market. It's just that it has been hard to see a bright future for PPC even as a desktop. Will that change when P.A Semi and IBM actually have these new revolutionary PPC-hardwares released sometime in 2007? Would the new PPC Amiga-hardwares like PowerVixxen and Amy be the first to show a bright future for the Amiga as a PPC Amiga-desktop platform, as well as an embedded system? I really hope so...

Then the x86-topic really is over. I'm sorry i brought it online. I was simply very worried. That's the only reason why i mentioned it. I meant no harm at all...

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:26:57
# ]

@Rogue

So Apple going for Intel because of a better price rate influences that Apples' move was a stupid non-reasonable move, right? There is still plenty of hope for PPC?

Last edited by Helgis on 08-Jun-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:27:40
#26 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
I'm trying to convince people that supporting 2 most important and most used CPU-platforms like x86 and PPC are very, very important, even for the Amiga...

No, you aren't.

You have blown your machine, and are p/o'ed about that, and now you are ranting. Nothing else. You know exactly that it isn't going to happen, you are just another one of the know-it-all type that thinks he knows better.

I propose that next time you get a machine you indeed take superglue and fix the jumpers into place, because otherwise you are going to blow that as well.

afxgroup 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:31:02
#27 ]

@Rogue

lol..

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:32:02
# ]

@Rogue

I understand. I do appreciate your explanation. I now know PPC really has a bright future at all. It might come sometimes that i try not to fail sometimes. I don't really look at myself as being "I-know-better-than-you" type. That was never the intention, but i'm sorry if i have given an impression of that...

My A1G4XE really seems to work. I was very lucky, miraculous speaking, but the black screen is still present, but this will be solved very soon...

And yes, i'm going for the PowerVixxen TL next year, mentioned in another topic..

Report this post  
AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:32:08
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

The PPC is the only hardware that can make the Amiga different from the others "PC".
There are several OS's that has failed in the X86 market: Be os for example. Zeta, Haiku: it hard to take off for these. OS/2 it's powerfull and strong but never had the mass flavor. And what about Linux? It's a mess, boy. How many distribution you can count?
Starting a new Amiga on X86 project, mean delay again the final realease of OS4. We are waiting OS4 for years, now. Should we restart from scratch? And who provide the money for the port?

Rogue 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:32:21
#30 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
So Apple going for Intel because of a better price rate influences that Apples' move was a stupid non-reasonable move, right?

If Apple just wanted to go x86, why wouldn't they have gone AMD64? After all, they advertised Mac OS X with 64 bit support, and the G5 is a 64 Bit CPU and the Pentium isn't.

Quote:
There is still plenty of hope for PPC?

FYI, all next-gen consoles use PowerPC CPUs. The PowerPC's market share on Apple computers was a single-digit percentage only, IBM will hardly notice that Apple's gone.

winnetcom 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:33:24
#31 ]

@Rogue/Entzilla

Love you guys !!! Kick Butt :^)

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:36:12
# ]

@Rogue

I see I like the way you explain it. It really shows how stupid Apple has been

@All

I do like the idea of still keeping Amiga being special, and that going for PPC can only be considered as the most correct choice that the Amiga has ever made. I know PPC hardware currently is a bit too pricey and a little limited, but this will surely change anytime soon...

I'm very hopeful on this

Never mind about x86 then They can go jump in the lake

Report this post  
polka. 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:38:09
#33 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
I have grownt tired of the unrealistical dreams some of the big players in the Amiga markets have, like believing that PPC is the only way forward for the Amiga, when it seems more or less that PPC has failed the desktop market where x86 hasn't...

Quote:
It's just that it has been hard to see a bright future for PPC even as a desktop.

5 minutes later...

Quote:
I now know PPC really has a bright future at all.

Quote:
going for PPC can only be considered as the most correct choice that the Amiga has ever made

Last edited by polka. on 08-Jun-2006 at 10:39 AM.

Kicko 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:43:46
#34 ]
Elite Member

Once again Helgis changed his mind. Little windy here arent it.
a1/Troika/ACK/X86->PPC, whats next ?
Helgis, os4 isnt based on what you want, like or think.
If you dont like what Hyperion does just buy a x86 machine and
run whatever you like on it, except os4. Amiga upto os3.9,linux etc.

and stop dreaming about 16cores PPC's etc. Live today.

Ill soon go mad. mom where are my dipers. (spell ok ?)

Last edited by Kicko on 08-Jun-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Last edited by Kicko on 08-Jun-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:44:28
# ]

@polka.

Yeah, i'm deadly funny

But perhaps changing the topic to "Why AmigaOS Shouldn't Be Ported To x86"

But Rogue and Enthiza are both right too. They know about the PPC issue, and the announcements of new better PPC-technologies like P.A Semis' 16-core PPC-chips in 2007 and IBMs' Cell are very interesting, and just about all game-consoles are using PPC-chips. PS3 being able to run Linux with Cell might be the first embedded system that will be able to run a OS-system that is both used as a desktop/server-OS....Very weird it might look like, but i can see the potensial here...

New and better PPC-hardwares as mentioned here would surely become cheaper and be produced in a much larger volumes than what has been seen until now, i'm sure of it. It could be that PowerVixxen and High-End Amys will be the first new PPC Amiga-hardwares that will show that PPC is far away from dead and raising again with new and better technology, which P.A Semi and IBM seem to provide...

I love this

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:47:45
# ]

@Kicko

Don't worry. I know now PPC is the way. No need to worry anymore

By the way, what is dipers?

You're such a sweet baby If you only looked a bit happier on that picture you use as avatar, then i would love to raise you as my son

Report this post  
jahc 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:48:35
#37 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Jeez, its stupid isn't it.. the constant flip flopping of opinion. I think he just changes his mind to suit whoever hes talking to.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:49:57
#38 ]

@Helgis

Whilst I am for AOS on x86

Why bother with the same, repetetive thread? There WAS a poll, about 2 weeks ago. Use the SEARCH facility. Or organise direct mailing of Amiga.Inc, because they are the only ones who have the power to choose.

Quote:

A.inc Management sat around a table in a dimly lit room, smoking cigars & playing cards.

Suddenly, Fleecy, the office junior bursts in, and in his boyish voice shouts
"Hey fellas, I've got a scoop; Had an email from a guy named Helgis suggesting we put AmigaOS onto x86!"

The men around the table spit out their cigars in surprise, throw their cards on the table and look at each other.
"AmigaOS on x86 - why didn't we think of that? That Helgis is one smart cookie. Boys, let's get to work"

Whilst I am personally for AmigaOS on x86 (for the ongoing survival of the OS and the Amiga community, as well as not wanting to have 3 computers to have to maintain, upgrade, etc) I am personally not naive enough to think that posting in the forums is going to change that.

If you're serious, and committed to starting a campaign - open your own website, gain members to support the campaign.
Starting YET ANOTHER thread in the same vein is not going to do anything, except bore people, disillusion potential supporters and discredit the AOS on x86 cause as just being a bunch of whining obstructionist crapflooders.

IMHO..

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:51:38
# ]

@Boot_WB

Oh dear I got a new enemy Hopefully not

Report this post  
elwood 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 10:54:33
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Now that Helgis says PPC is the good choice, I hope there's nobody left that will talk about x86

Last edited by elwood on 08-Jun-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Amiga Translator Organisation

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle