Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

number6

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 number6:  2 mins ago
 Karlos:  23 mins ago
 matthey:  35 mins ago
 Rob:  48 mins ago
 kolla:  51 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  [Poll] Carl's Amiga Test
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Poll : Would you use OS4 if it ran on PC boxes/laptops?
Yes, immediately.
Maybe eventually.
No. Never.

PosterThread
greenmeanie 
Re: [Poll] Carl's Amiga Test
Posted on 2-Dec-2006 3:43:41
#421 ]

@Carl-S

i think the PC route is the way to go. just get os4 out there and start making some money.

Profile     Report this post  
Benji 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 21:43:35
#422 ]
Cult Member

@all those who voted "yes"

Would you still vote yes if it was called OS5 and made by Amiga Inc?

AndyBeeson 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 2:20:42
#423 ]

@Benji

Hi, I`d vote yes to that. OS5 is being designed to run on any type of system/CPU.

Oh to unchain a core2 duo or Athlon64 from the shackles of Windows and see how fast they can go! Just hope I won`t get done for speeding!

And for those that would miss all the bloat we could have Ami-UWE, then get all nostalgic when your favourite BSOD appears!

Andy

weirdami 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 4:27:20
#424 ]

@Carl-S

Since now Mac's are on duo core pentium thingies, does that count as a PC boxes/laptops?

Somebody define "IBM PC Clone" for me in modern times.

Hammer 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 6:55:59
#425 ]
Elite Member

@weirdami

Well, the market didn't define 68K Amiga as a 68K Macintosh.

Varthall 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 9:27:07
#426 ]

@Hammer

If the 68k Macintoshes would be the most used and widespread platform around, and would be built by countless manufacturers, you could bet some people would start seeing the Amiga as a Macintosh. Especially if Amigas and Macintoshes would differ solely in the used firmware. I also see the Intel Macs as PCs.

Varthall

Benji 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 11:46:56
#427 ]
Cult Member

@Varthall

Quote:
I also see the Intel Macs as PCs.

I know some Mac users who would still say OSX was the point where the Mac became a PC...

Manu 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 13:44:24
#428 ]

You can call a MAC what you want nowdays, it was still a very smart move
they did.

DaveyD 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 14:34:44
#429 ]
Team Member

@All

I believe a platform is defined by its OS and not the hardware used. All computers today have a fast CPU, lots of ram and storage space, plus powerful graphics and sound cards, so what's the real difference? Answer: the OS.

In hardware what really matters is the price/performance ratio and its availablity, the winner in this area is x86.

Fransexy 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 14:42:43
#430 ]
Elite Member

@DaveyD

Quote:

DaveyD wrote:
@All

I believe a platform is defined by its OS and not the hardware used. All computers today have fast CPU, lots of ram and storage space, plus graphics and sound cards, so what's the real difference? Answer: the OS.

I not agree.A macintel running windowsxp nor makes it a pc, it´s a still Mac running Windowsxp.And a pc running MacOsX not makes it a Macintosh, it´s a pc running Macosx but still a PC.ZETA, haiku, linux and others are then OSs without a platform, they run on every others platform

BobW 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 14:48:34
#431 ]

@Benji

Quote:
Would you still vote yes if it was called OS5 and made by Amiga Inc?

That depends. Right now we don't know anything more than a name and that it's not based on Linux. I'd need to see demos, screenshots, feature lists and a heck of a lot more before I got behind OS5.

dietmar 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 15:23:45
#432 ]
Cult Member

@Fransexy
> A macintel running windowsxp nor makes it a pc

Maybe we are all runnning in an emulation on x86, think The Matrix. Scary thought?

painter 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 16:19:36
#433 ]
Cult Member

@Carl-S
Hardware doesn't matter to me, all that counts in amiga os4 runs native on it. Also I noticed that with this poll in Aweb I could not get the vote buttons and in Ibrowse I could. don't know why that.

painter

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 18:43:24
#434 ]
Cult Member

feh. You kids, puttering on about speeeeeeeechal hardware and OH NOES NOT A PEE CEE!

God damn it, port the OS to x86 or else it's dead. Dead, dead dead and nobody, not even niche hobby enthusiasts are going to bother with it any more. What's that? It'll be eclipsed by Linux/Windows/Macos/BeOS/and on and on?

Look, the fscking thing might sell maybe ten times the number of copies it's got out there now. Okay, sure, that's only ten thousand but that's tenfold more than what you have now.

I wouldn't touch OS4 with a fifty meter bargepole. If I had two grand and the phone number of a guy across the street willing to sell me an "AmigaOne"...I'd go spend the cash elsewhere.

Your "hardware platform" is borked, in both sales and distribution model and physically/electronically. Take a look at the C64 scene, hell, take a look at the retro x86 gaming scene and you'll see healthy scenes for enthusiasts. The Amiga scene is sick to it's core and a laughingstock for the few people who can be bothered to gawk at the circus of runaway stupidity that this whole thing became. Not "has become" or "is becoming", but became, in 200...what, 2000? 2001? Whenever Amiga issued that idiotic "ON SCHEDULE AND ROCKIN" when Hyperion hadn't even been paid to START.

Forget thriving and succeeding - the Amiga will never do that. For god's sake try to get it back to "interesting hobby" levels. There's like TEN OF YOU LEFT.

As wrong as C= was in their marketing efforts or lack thereof, as screwy as things were behind the scenes, at least they got things done and that's 180' around from anyone involved today. I have nothing but contempt for people who still look at this as some kind of contest. The contest is over. It was probably effectively lost in 1990 or 1991 when C= curtailed any real advancement of the Amiga hardware. But it could still be a fun hobby if you people would let it.

Rit 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 19:43:51
#435 ]

The almighty one has spoken.

Manu 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 20:15:01
#436 ]

By looking through Dave's abd Carl's posts in this very forum it's easy to se where
they had expected Amiga would be heading today hardware wise.
It think that tells a lot.

Last edited by Manu on 13-Dec-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Last edited by Manu on 13-Dec-2006 at 08:15 PM.

weirdami 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 20:52:52
#437 ]

@Manu

Quote:
By looking through Dave's abd Carl's posts in this very forum it's easy to se where

Summarize?

nzv58l 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 20:58:51
#438 ]

So which PC board you going to support?

What if PC hardware was supported, but not the PC hardware you own? Then all the complaining would be about "OS 4 is a piece of ____ because it doesn't work on my PC I bought 10 years ago" In the meantime Hyperion would be wasting valuable time tweaking the OS so it will run on this or that rather than improving the OS to maturity.

I don't really care too much about running old software, I would rather see some new and up-to-date software on the machine. If your going to run on x86 then how about making it run pc software under an amiga like OS would be a little more exciting.

AROS is already on the PC. Why don't we see what happens with that? I think that project is running into the same hurdles that OS4 would need to overcome to get to the x86 hardware, and I would prefer it to be AMD, not Intel. If OS4 jumped on x86 software it would probably kill AROS. I have a bit of hope for AROS yet, so I would hate to see that happen.

I also do not see much of a future attraction of ex-Amigans. I would rather something was done to attract new users to the platform. I would also rather stay away from the x86 as I still say it would be a mistake. If it ran stable on everyones PC with all the varieties of configurations/hardware then it would be OK, but I do not see that happening and even then it would be impossible to support with the limited resources available.

I would rather see something resonably priced that ran OS4 out of the box with OS4 installed on it as the primary OS. Having it downloaded to PC's and not knowing if any of those people are even using it is not going to attract real developers. I would also not be happy with just a port to the PS3 unless it were properly sanctioned by Sony as the primary OS for these machines. Although it may be a good idea to try the Cell processor out under OS4 until another board can be made to utilize the Cell.

Manu 
Posted on 13-Dec-2006 20:59:17
#439 ]

@weirdami

It's there if for any one to see, just read their comments.

T_Bone 
Posted on 15-Dec-2006 9:06:39
#440 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Quote:

nzv58l wrote:
So which PC board you going to support?

What if PC hardware was supported, but not the PC hardware you own?

Who cares? That's a high class problem to have, and not something that's particularly important when you have immediate emergencies like imminent userbase extinction to worry about. If buying supported hardware is something you think people would be unwilling to do, then that doesn't lend itself to the way we're doing things now anyway, as that requires a new hardware purchase too.

Quote:
In the meantime Hyperion would be wasting valuable time tweaking the OS so it will run on this or that rather than improving the OS to maturity.

How old does an OS need to be before it's mature enough to port?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle