Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 163 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Rob,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 Rob:  3 mins ago
 blmara:  28 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 22 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 9 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Sam's ETA ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
COBRA 
Re: Sam's ETA ?
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 14:50:18
#101 ]

@umisef

Quote:
So, max total time needed to do this in the copying case: Three times as much as in the pointer-passing case. Is three times "magnitudes"? I think you know the answer.

We're talking about 2 different things. I said message passing is magnitudes of times faster and this is true. You're talking about overall system performance, which depends on the particular software, e.g. what the different components do with the data, a component might just want to add a header (e.g. VxWorks's network buffering system is incredibly efficient there, actually leaving extra space before the data to allow different protocol layers to add their headers without the need to move any data around) so in that case overall performance will be magnitudes of times faster. If you do very complex algorithms on the data, then the time for data copying can be neglected. Depends on what you're doing.

But as I said, we're getting way off-topic here, so if you want to continue the discussion, I suggest to move it to another topic.

Last edited by COBRA on 31-Oct-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
ssolie 
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 14:59:50
#102 ]
Elite Member

@m3x
Quote:
More info on how to apply for a free board will be released in the next weeks.

That bit deserves one of these:

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help things along. Although there are a few in this community obsessed with the negatives there are many more of us focused on the positives and we'd like to try and help rather than sit back in our easy chairs and criticize your team's efforts from afar.

Best of luck!

falemagn 
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 15:05:30
#103 ]

@COBRA

Quote:

Actually it was the sw department :)

Doing what, if I am allowed to know?

Quote:

I said unix-like, didn't say IS unix. *sigh*

No, you said linux-like, and then specified "unix core with a GUI pulled on top of it".

QNX doesn't have any unix core. Shouldn't you know that already?

Last edited by falemagn on 31-Oct-2006 at 03:12 PM.

~~ Henry Ford

falemagn 
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 15:10:10
#104 ]

@COBRA

Quote:

We're talking about 2 different things. I said message passing is magnitudes of times faster and this is true.

Would you clarify what you mean by "message passing", then, given that you don't seem to include into that concept the message itself?

~~ Henry Ford

COBRA 
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 15:17:30
#105 ]

@falemagn

Quote:
Doing what, if I am allowed to know?

I was working in the multimedia R&D department (in Ottawa), on an early video decoder for PPC, when they were working on porting QNX Neutrino to PPC. Great company by the way, wonderful work atmosphere, and they had an A1000 (!) on a table there :)

Quote:
No, you said linux-like, and then specified "unix core with a GUI pulled on top of it".

From an application programmer point of view (and also from a user point of view), it was no different than any other linux/unix system, the only difference I would say is its scalable architecture, but for instance there was no accurate timing possibility like we have under AmigaOS.

And this is the last message from me on this topic here, if you want to discuss it further, move it into a proper thread, this is a topic about Samantha.

Last edited by COBRA on 31-Oct-2006 at 03:21 PM.

adiaux 
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 15:41:58
#106 ]

@m3x

Quote:

m3x wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

it's our top priority, but please note, signin a contract is not a matter of minutes, it can take several days to accomplish it.

I understand, thanks for your answer.

I will follow your project with great interest!

Plaz 
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 15:42:27
#107 ]

@ssolie

Quote:
More info on how to apply for a free board will be released in the next weeks.

Quote:
That bit deserves one of these:

Wow, for sure. If I had more time to help on Amizilla again, I'd love to sign up for that.

Plaz

TheDaddy 
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 19:19:00
#108 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Maybe I have missed something but:

1) When is supposed to be available? A date (approx.)?

2) What's the highest (top of the range) configuration?

1) CPU and clock speed (1GHz?)
2) M9 is the fastest I presume...
3) Max ram including expansion slot used?

Thanks

Samwel 
Posted on 31-Oct-2006 23:21:14
#109 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

1) April 2007 for the consumer version is what I've heard.

2.1) At release it will be the 667MHz version, faster will follow when they're released.

2.2) M9 is the fastest yes.

2.3) 512MB onboard is max. A single DDR slot for, I think, a 1GB DIMM is also included.

Last edited by Samwel on 31-Oct-2006 at 11:22 PM.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

BigD 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 13:30:51
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
1) April 2007 for the consumer version is what I've heard.

I don't want to put a dampener on an already quite damp Amiga outlook (unless you count non-working pretty motherboard prototypes ), but April 2007!!'

I know Rome wasn't built in a day but just think about the timing of a April 2007 release!

1) A month after the PS3 release (which has many working prototypes and will definately be available - so is infinately more desirable as an expensive IBM CPU based game/media machine).

2) Around the time of Windows XP release - which will suck up all the news headlines and publicity the Amiga will need to resurface on the paying public's radar.

3) Mac OS Tiger is probably ready around this time too.

Bad timing + no publicity + no marketing + competition (especially Mac Mini/MacBook) = NO ONE BUT FANATICAL FAN BOYS (which includes me ) will care!

What if anything are Amiga Inc. going to do to counter the apathy that this machine is likely to face from the general public?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 13:46:18
#111 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

It better not be the 1st of April!

BobW 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 14:19:49
#112 ]

@BigD

I honestly don't understand arguments like yours. The release of PS3, XP (you mean Vista), Tiger (you mean Leopard) will only have one effect on OS4 and that is a drain on peoples wallets. If they are saving money for an OS4 machine they may very well blow it on one of the above platforms. I already have (24" iMac) but heck I might also have spent the money on a pool table.

The following people will buy an OS4 motherboard:

1) "FANATICAL FAN BOYS" - Thats a given. If they have the money they will buy it.
2) Curious ex Amiga users - Assuming they even know about it.
3) Techies who are probably already running 10 different operating systems and platforms and want to add another to their collection.

I'm certainly not going to tell my friends to go out and buy an Amiga. What would the average user do if they actually bought an OS4 machine for general computing use? I'll tell ya. They will bring it back for a refund. Wow, this machine has a fast and responsive interface but I don't have any modern apps and surfing the net is an exercise in frustration.

Quote:
Bad timing + no publicity + no marketing + competition

Bad timing? How about 6+ years too late.

hatschi 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 14:25:11
#113 ]
Elite Member

@BobW

I was just about to type exactly the same and then saw that you already replied. My sentiments, exactly.

COBRA 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 14:47:17
#114 ]

@BigD

Unless there are plenty of quality software titles available, it will only be of interest to Amiga fans anyway. I wouldn't be able to convince my brother to use it (he's into stuff like World of Warcraft which only exist on PC/Mac) or my mother, who needs to work with Word/Excel documents, do printing, use MSN with microphone/webcamera to keep in touch, with far away relatives, etc. A lot of software will have to be written before it could be considered useful by the masses out there. Until then it's just for us fanatics. What we need now is boards available at a reasonable, affordable price so we can have a steadily growing userbase, try to get more developers, offer free boards to people to port their softwares to AmigaOS, etc. April is a realistic deadline, although it does sound far away and I hope that they'll manage to wrap it up sooner.

jorkany 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 15:17:31
#115 ]
Cult Member

@BobW
Excellent post, sums it up perfectly.

Quote:
The release of PS3, XP (you mean Vista), Tiger (you mean Leopard) will only have one effect on OS4 and that is a drain on peoples wallets. If they are saving money for an OS4 machine they may very well blow it on one of the above platforms.

When I first learned about OS4 the only hardware available was the buggy A1. Instead of buying one of those, I bought a dual proc PowerMac. Now no OS4 hardware is available, but I just bought a dual core MacBook a couple months ago. Now, I'm not saying I would ever buy OS4 hardware at this point even if any ever becomes available, but I will say that over the past couple of years I've spent about $5000 in computers alone - money which did not go to the AmigaOne Partners but might have if things had been different.

By the way, I've never replaced the battery in the PowerMac, neither of the CPUs have burned up, it cold boots in just a few seconds, and I've never had to warm-boot it.

cHaOs667 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 15:28:30
#116 ]
Cult Member

@jorkany

Quote:
When I first learned about OS4 the only hardware available was the buggy A1

Nice, my µAOne-C has no bugs. Am i the only one?

Quote:
By the way, I've never replaced the battery in the PowerMac, neither of the CPUs have burned up, ... , and I've never had to warm-boot it.

I had never done such things with my µAOne-C but the last thing is what i've had often to do with my MacMini CoreDuo like after the last OSX Update!

So im away - going to the Amon Amarth concert here in frankfurt and to bang my head against the stage *lol*

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

ssolie 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 15:47:04
#117 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany
There seems to be a lot more to this than some technical issues:
Quote:
So for me, I would never pay nor use OS4 because I can't in good conscience support the abuse of the Amiga name. It would be like paying thugs for "protection". It's really the only OS I've ever run into where an ethical instead of technical issue prevents me from using it.

I can understand your reasoning for the technical issues with the AmigaOne hardware. The hardware does have problems and I have never personally recommended it for use by the average Amiga user. But I don't understand why you are withholding your non-technical issues from us at AW.net but feel it necessary to share them at another web forum pointing back to AW.net on a regular basis?

jorkany 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 15:55:42
#118 ]
Cult Member

@ssolie
Quote:
There seems to be a lot more to this than some technical issues:

Yes, it's sad that things finally came to that point, but it didn't start out that way originally. When I first began looking into the state of things Amiga a few years ago I was initially excited by the possibility of a new Amiga, or at least Amiga-like OS. To say that I was disappointed in the state of things is an understatement.

Quote:
But I don't understand why you are withholding your non-technical issues from us at AW.net but feel it necessary to share them at another web forum pointing back to AW.net on a regular basis?
I think most regulars here know what my stance is on the A1 and OS4. Besides, I can always rely on my fans to point out my postings elsewhere!

By the way, do you read CSAA on usenet?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 15:56:02
#119 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Most CPU’s where burned up by one individual “Helgis” alone, there where few cases where backup battery run out, I think some like “Helgis” can easily kill a Mac if ask him to fix the CPU for you.

I the Amiga market you buy when hardware is available, even if you know there might be some bugs, as long as you know you can live whit them, that’s what I do, I know of the bugs, they are not major problems but annoying mentally mostly, the USB bugs are the most annoying bugs, then IDE DMA I have fixed in hardware, the North chip dma bug is fixed in OS (Linux/AmigaOS), and it’s not really noticed, a few games might run slower then they should have but that’s all.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Nov-2006 16:01:40
#120 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
To say that I was disappointed in the state of things is an understatement.

I don’t know what you thinking about when you wrote this, but from OS point of view AmigaOS4 have improved a lot from the first version, and there have been lots speed improvements, lots of excitement during OS updates.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle