Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 102 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  15 mins ago
 amigakit:  43 mins ago
 Maijestro:  55 mins ago
 Hypex:  56 mins ago
 fingus:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 amigagr:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Now that OS 4 is final...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
SvenHarvey 
Re: Now that OS 4 is final...
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 19:49:37
#21 ]
Cult Member

@SoundSquare

As long as an enhanced clone-A AGA+ card can be put in it lol

Profile     Report this post  
jorkany 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 19:57:36
#22 ]
Cult Member

@kindergip
Quote:
you all would like to see this admittedly
small crew drop whatever they are doing to ease new
hardware into the pipeline to address this request?

Sure, why not seeing as how they did this already for the A1 version? Originally Hyperion said they were going to produce OS4 for the classic systems BEFORE the AmigaOne:

http://www.amiga.org/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=16

And, why does it have to be NEW hardware? What's wrong with releasing it for classic hardware that is already out there?

Last edited by jorkany on 10-Jan-2007 at 09:21 PM.

jorkany 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 20:04:50
#23 ]
Cult Member

@SoundSquare
Quote:
Or even no hardware at all but OSes that could run and live on other platforms.

You mean like AROS, UAE, and MorphOS?

Quote:
Just anything to get rid of classic hardware (and amiga resellers/ebay crooks/speculators) once for all !

Why are you so anti-Amiga?

Hagbard_Celine 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 21:05:41
#24 ]

Well the way I see it, we all want that OS4 for the Classic, and actually the only ones who don't understand us are Hyperion Ent.

Well, I will wait, but not forever

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 21:41:50
#25 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Dandy

The classic version just got a priority bump. Right now, the plan is to release it as soon as possible, *hopefully* within 1Q2007, although it will depend on a few factors naturally.

Hagbard_Celine 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 21:47:23
#26 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Right now, the plan is to release it as soon as possible, *hopefully* within 1Q2007, although it will depend on a few factors naturally.

That "few" factors being new Hardware of course. Guess we'll have to wait forever then. I do not and never will understand why you software guys believe that Hardware falls from heaven. There is no reason to develop Hardware, if there is nothing available to run it with.

And developing new Hardware consumes x times more money, than developing a OS

If you don't beleive me, feel free to unravel history and we'll work up some development costs for Phase5 Hardware

nzv58l 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 21:50:23
#27 ]

@Hagbard_Celine

It seems as though it is hard to tell exactly what Hyperion are busy with these days. I don't know how much work it would be to get the final release of OS4 to the Classic. Could be that they haven't touched it since it first ran on there a few years ago.

I want to see Amiga move forward, but I can also see a good benefit in having OS4 on the classic machines. It is also hard to say how important a classic version would be once some other hardware were available for sale.

I have to hope that at some point it will be available, but there are too many unknown factors involved to say anything at this point. I would like to hear what Hyperion have to say. With their limited resources and all they have accomplished, I know that some plans may have to change. Perhaps it is the actual support of the classic hardware that is part of the reason for not bringing it out. I half expected the Classic version to be out with the release of the AmigaOne version. Perhaps there is some unseen by us mortals reason why it has not appeared.

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 21:57:13
#28 ]

@Rogue

YES YES YES

ironfist 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 22:17:30
#29 ]
Cult Member

What is that alarm?!

SharkPPC Attack!

-Sam- 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 22:28:18
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

That is good news. At least it gets more sales.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 22:59:34
#31 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Hagbard_Celine

Quote:
That "few" factors being new Hardware of course.

Of course not, because the classic version hardware has been released a few years ago already.

Quote:
I do not and never will understand why you software guys believe that Hardware falls from heaven.

Somehow I get the impression that you think I am a complete idiot.

The topic was, IIRC, OS 4 for the classic. I have answered that we plan to release it 1Q2007, period. Why you need to write such crap is beyond me. I know exactly what it costs to develop hardware, I know what it cost to develop OS 4, and let me assure you these figures aren't that far apart.

So, do I need to propose a place for your wise words?

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 23:04:55
#32 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@nzv58l

Quote:
It seems as though it is hard to tell exactly what Hyperion are busy with these days.

The usual. You know, eating the last cookies from Christmas, slaying a few babies, the usual stuff we do at Hyperion.

Quote:
Could be that they haven't touched it since it first ran on there a few years ago.

Could be, but isn't. There had been a few components on the classic version that had lagged behind, and most issues of the classic version had been put on the backburner in trying to get the final update out for Christmas.

Quote:
I would like to hear what Hyperion have to say.

Er... huh? I think I just did.

Quote:
Perhaps there is some unseen by us mortals reason why it has not appeared.

Like I said, work had been put on the backburner. There had been some drivers on the classic that hadn't been updated to the new memory system yet, and there will be a general problem with those drivers that are just "clever".

polka. 
Posted on 11-Jan-2007 0:29:35
#33 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@nzv58l

Quote:
It seems as though it is hard to tell exactly what Hyperion are busy with these days.

The usual. You know, eating the last cookies from Christmas, slaying a few babies, the usual stuff we do at Hyperion.

Sometimes you really crack me up!

Tomas 
Posted on 11-Jan-2007 0:53:30
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

nicholas 
Posted on 11-Jan-2007 0:58:08
#35 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Dandy

The classic version just got a priority bump. Right now, the plan is to release it as soon as possible, *hopefully* within 1Q2007, although it will depend on a few factors naturally.

Excellent news!

Can we have a rough idea of the retail price of it?

nzv58l 
Posted on 11-Jan-2007 4:05:10
#36 ]

@Rogue

Cool!, I must have been typing while you were replying.

That´s very good news!

The one thing I worry about with the release of the Classic version is will there be any compatibility issues between the Classic and A1. Even if it is though, I think it will be a great day for Amigan´s.

Those classic users are going to enjoy OS4. I use it daily now and it´s just a good thing that I can´t be on it while I am at work or I would get nothing done.

Well, good luck with Killing the woman, Raping the cattle and eating the children! Thank´s for keeping us updated!

Hagbard_Celine 
Posted on 11-Jan-2007 6:29:20
#37 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Somehow I get the impression that you think I am a complete idiot.

No, not at all. I think you did a great job on OS4. But I cannot understand why you leave us out in the rain. We payed a huge amount of money to buy stuff where your OS can possibly run on, but we get nothing, no prerelease, nada. I (and many others) are just desperately waiting for updates, and the only thing that comes from your site is "We are working on it".

And all those statements about releasing a Classic version the same time as the AOne version comes out, are now just plain lies, because you simply do not care about Classics.

It really makes me angry to see how you treat the users that made it possible to even think about an OS4. If we wouldnt have supported that platform by putting 1000 of Euros in it for Expansion, you wouldnt have sold any of those really cool games, and there wouldnt be a need to develop a PPC OS.

But well, you have your own opinion about that, and I do have to accept it, tho I cannot see this as a wise step.

stefanor 
Posted on 11-Jan-2007 9:38:49
#38 ]

@Rogue

I would like to thank you for taking time to read forums and answer user questions. We, the classic users, look forward to OS4 with grat expetation, as you may notice

Yabba 
Posted on 11-Jan-2007 11:04:19
#39 ]

@Hagbard_Celine

Quote:
No, not at all. I think you did a great job on OS4.

If this is true, why don't you stop insulting Rogue for not beeing the one that develops new hardware???
I find it amazing and very sad that people like you have the guts to outright claim the right to demand things from Rouge and others. Let me put it like this. We are not exactly idle. We have priorities. But with that, we are going to make some people happy and some less happy. Thats life, accept it. Insulting us is not likely to change the priorities. And right now the priority was to get AOS4 out for the XE and uA1 boards. If the classic came higher, then this would have pissed the XE and uA1 users off instead.
Besides, why do you expect Thomas and Hans Joerg to do all the work? There are many reasons why the classic version of AOS4 is 'behind' and they spell DRIVERS. Something that hasn't been Hyperions major part in. Bitching on Rouge for things he cannot do anything about is just likely to piss him off and make him loose any motivation he has left for this. Thank you very much for wanting to spoil all efforts here.

Quote:
And all those statements about releasing a Classic version the same time as the AOne version comes out, are now just plain lies, because you simply do not care about Classics.

I suggest you make a nice appology for that. Nobody lied to you!!!! Nobody claims that the classic version will be out tomorrow. Those were the original plans made several years ago. You know what, things change. But at the same time, things are beeing worked on, but to be honest, it is impossible to please everybody at the same time. But when people like you dont understand the reason why you wern't priority number 1 and start insulting people for it, you are not very likely to get any priority at all.

regards,
Stefan

Derfs 
Posted on 11-Jan-2007 11:05:06
#40 ]
Cult Member

missed link above - ignore

Last edited by Derfs on 11-Jan-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle