Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  31 mins ago
 lewishamilton0998:  38 mins ago
 amigakit:  47 mins ago
 Hammer:  50 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 miggymac:  3 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  The Kent Events Center - Just the facts
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: The Kent Events Center - Just the facts
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 18:06:25
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Sure. But the quote stands on its own merit.
A clear indication of disagreement.
If this is NOT a new request from AI, then why do we hear of this only at this late stage?
Would this normally not be discussed well prior to final closure of such a deal?

Profile     Report this post  
Tigger 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 18:16:52
#102 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Tigger

Sure. But the quote stands on its own merit.
A clear indication of disagreement.
If this is NOT a new request from AI, then why do we hear of this only at this late stage?
Would this normally not be discussed well prior to final closure of such a deal?

Oh Absolutely. This is something that should have been agreed to before you sign a contract. I was just making a side comment that that most named stadiums have similar requirements in there contract. But what do we expect, McEwen signing a poor contract, that sounds pretty typical to me.
-Tig

jorkany 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 18:21:42
#103 ]
Cult Member

@Geennaam
Quote:
@number6
Quote:

Quote:
Also, Amiga wants the power to approve advertising by technology companies in or around the 6,025-seat arena, a demand that city officials and the Thunderbirds say is unreasonable.
Ah, the plot unveils. Kent asked to show them the money they simply don't have.
So now they make unreasonable demansd in order to clear the way for a retreat. How obvious again. Just like the New York case against Hyperion.

Saw the other responses from Tigger, et. al, but heck yeah I bet the city officials are against the demand. *Real* companies with actual advertising dollars might want to advertise, Sprint for example. Without those other advertisers they're stuck with Amiga advertising - what? Amiga DE crap?

Senex 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 20:33:19
#104 ]

Quote:
Also, Amiga wants the power to approve advertising by technology companies in or around the 6,025-seat arena, a demand that city officials and the Thunderbirds say is unreasonable.

So there are last minute demands/restrictions suddenly brought up by AI, possibly leading to the contract being canceled? Wouldn't surprise me if this issue has been raised intentionally as an "exit strategy".

ChrisH 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 20:38:51
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Senex
That's what I think too.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 22:09:03
#106 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I think we missed this one.

Quote:
And the clock is ticking, with the Kent City Council expected to vote July 26 on whether to build the arena.

We appear to have a new element here from the Seattle Thunderbirds. Unlike the Seattle Times article some time back they are now positioning themselves as concerned, unlike before. Granted time has past but its still an important shift since it became known they were a third legal entity in the naming deal itself.

Quote:
And even if the Amiga deal falls apart, Kent and Thunderbirds officials say they are prepared to proceed with a new naming rights sponsor.

How do you guys read this? That they already have one lined up or just that they are ready to move on to another one in general? Seemed a bit unclear to me.

Quote:
Amiga Managing Director Bill McEwan did not return several phone calls seeking comment.

Bill's title seems to keep shifting, president, acting president, Managing Director. Maybe means little but still found that interesting.

Quote:
"The bad press that came out about Amiga has caused us to want to move quicker to understand where the money is coming from and when it will be paid," Campbell said.

Also interesting that the Thunderbirds want to understand how the funding dollars are supposedly there at Amiga. I'm guessing Amiga will not be too keen to open up their financials to anyone.

Quote:
Ranniger, the City Council president, was also displeased that the council found out about Amiga's demand to control all of the arena's technology advertising from a Puget Sound Business Journal reporter.

"We're not as informed as we'd like to be," she said. "I don't know the reason why not, but I find it very disturbing."

Totally amazing. All this talk about lawyers talking and then stuff like this.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 22:14:05
#107 ]
Team Member

@Senex

Quote:

Senex wrote:
Quote:

So there are last minute demands/restrictions suddenly brought up by AI, possibly leading to the contract being canceled? Wouldn't surprise me if this issue has been raised intentionally as an "exit strategy".

Still I am damn curious what they hoped to really accomplish with all this nonsense in the first place. But yes I agree with you as well.

Amiga 1200

jorkany 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 22:23:09
#108 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback
Quote:
We appear to have a new element here from the Seattle Thunderbirds. Unlike the Seattle Times article some time back they are now positioning themselves as concerned, unlike before.

Probably because they realize they vouched for AInc. and now their face is red.

Quote:
How do you guys read this? That they already have one lined up or just that they are ready to move on to another one in general?

If they did have somebody else lined up, would they still be dorking around with Amiga Inc? Pretty sad too, when you consider a totally legitimate and productive business moved into the area just a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Bill's title seems to keep shifting, president, acting president, Managing Director.
When it's just you and a few boxes, you need to wear many hats!

Quote:
Ranniger, the City Council president, was also displeased that the council found out about Amiga's demand to control all of the arena's technology advertising from a Puget Sound Business Journal reporter.

"We're not as informed as we'd like to be," she said. "I don't know the reason why not, but I find it very disturbing."
That's what happens when you deal with a company that has the business ethics of your typical carny.

number6 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 22:24:44
#109 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Many of the articles from post #1 contain spelling errors and minor factual errors. Puget Sound Business Journal's mention of "title" possibly falls in that category. But it is quite plain from the fact we get this new information from the Journal and not from the government, that this is an exceptional embarassment to Kent at this point.
I fully expect the Seattle Times to do a followup here.
I would not expect them to follow this "blow by blow", but certainly after the vote on the 26th they will revisit the issue, considering the statewide ramifications.

Last edited by number6 on 19-Jul-2007 at 10:43 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007 22:38:56
#110 ]
Team Member

@jorkany

Quote:
If they did have somebody else lined up, would they still be dorking around with Amiga Inc?

Possibly. They may not want to terminate anything earlier than originally agreed upon (the breaking ground date), so that if anyone is going to sue anyone else in the end that its Kent suing Amiga rather than Amiga coming up with some possibly fabricated reason to sue the city.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Jul-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Amiga 1200

jtsiren 
Posted on 20-Jul-2007 0:25:29
#111 ]
Cult Member

@Senex

Quote:

Senex wrote:
Quote:

Yeah... just waiting for the McEwen interview where he tells us that they had to pull back from the Kent deal because the city was unwilling to settle to Amiga's quite "reasonable and normal" (last-minute) conditions. That theory would at least fit their usual patterns. A few years back it might have worked too in this community...

Or maybe they'll pay up if this is a part of some grander scheme to, say, sell Amiga Inc. in the next year to someone with a significantly higher price. They still have time to pay.

Zontrox 
Posted on 20-Jul-2007 1:19:33
#112 ]
Cult Member

I've been trying to follow this whole "soap opera" and the only thing that came to my mind right now is that this whole thing is getting weirder and weirder by the minute, not to mention frustrating!

"Would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?!?" William Wallace (Mel Gibson in Braveheart

Moxee 
Posted on 20-Jul-2007 2:56:55
#113 ]
Team Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

From the pics of the city though it looks like a nice place to be outside, away from computers! :)

If you check out the map on that page and look directly north of Kent you will see the city of Renton. I live just to the west of Renton and a couple of blocks within the city limits of Seattle. Not that you really wanted to digest this information.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Jul-2007 14:54:00
#114 ]
Team Member

@Moxee

Cool. Seems at least like Kent has a bunch of infrastrurture improvements going on (roadwork expansions etc). So it appears to be a growing area in general which is nice to see. We just had a pipe that was still in service today, yet installed when Calvin Coolidge was president explode a couple of days ago right near Grand Central Station. :(

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Jul-2007 14:55:01
#115 ]
Team Member

@all

Just an FYI I watched the July 17th City Council meeting last night. There was nothing in regard to the Amiga situation.

Amiga 1200

number6 
Posted on 20-Jul-2007 15:27:48
#116 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Just an FYI I watched the July 17th City Council meeting last night. There was nothing in regard to the Amiga situation.

Uh huh.

This is consistent with my personal observation above:
Quote:
But it is quite plain from the fact we get this new information from the Journal and not from the government, that this is an exceptional embarassment to Kent at this point.

Sometimes what is -not- said is as telling as what -is- said.

number6 
Posted on 22-Jul-2007 14:54:43
#117 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

4 days and counting.
Nothing on the city website yet.
Meeting closed to public?

@thread

Anyone phoned the city about this?

jorkany 
Posted on 22-Jul-2007 15:35:21
#118 ]
Cult Member

@number6
Quote:
4 days and counting.
Nothing on the city website yet.
Meeting closed to public?

Nice try at a haiku, but too many syllables.

NathanH 
Posted on 22-Jul-2007 15:57:45
#119 ]

@jorkany

LOL... Ever snort a Cheerio through your nose during breakfast due to
laughter?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 23-Jul-2007 14:40:32
#120 ]
Team Member

@all

Kent Rreporter 7/21

http://www.kentreporter.com/jumpstory.html?story=news2&pubdate=7/21/2007

Quote:
The city and the Thunderbirds continue to negotiate with Amiga Inc., a computer software company with offices in Issaquah and New York, on naming rights to the proposed center. Amiga has said it would pay the city $10 million over 20 years, including an initial payment of $2.5 million for the rights to call the facility the Amiga Center at Kent.

The city initially asked Amiga to make the $2.5 million payment the day construction begins, but now wants the payment before construction starts following news reports that revealed past financial troubles for the company. Amiga has yet to pay the money.

Amiga 1200

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle