Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 Frank:  17 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  36 mins ago
 MickJT:  55 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. started trial versus Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tomas 
Re: Amiga Inc Started trial versus Hyperion
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 19:55:13
#181 ]
Elite Member

@kriz

Quote:

kriz wrote:
Very strange that they, announce new hardware the same day as they announce they wil sue the programmers of OS4 ? How stupid is that ? And they will include OS4 with this new machine, without developers ?

Is not like they announced it

Profile     Report this post  
Amiga4000 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 19:56:26
#182 ]

The way I see it?

Hyperion tries to sell OS4 with new HW before the expiration of the buy-out using Amiga name and logo, (which they gotta know will backfire). They seem to have suckered the SAM people on a lick and a promise!

A-Inc then partners for new HW and does the same thing that Hyperion did (offer OS4 with new HW) AFTER the expiration of the buy-out clause. Tit for Tat? Although it looks like A-inc is just going to sucker ACK on a lick and a promise too!

There can only be one winner in this outcome! And this ain't gonna get settled anytime soon so it looks like Hyperion AND A-Inc really suckered the Amiga community! That's real good business! Screw each other, screw your future developers, screw the rightful owners, screw the Amiga community (this is what makes all this ironic - and seen for what it is - a media sham).

Guess what guys? There STILL ain't no new hardware that you can buy OS4 with or for!!! The only reason A-Inc. came out and said that there would be new hardware is 'cause Hyperion did!!!!!! We're all screwed!!! I got a boner for nuthin!!!

On the other hand (npi), It would be cool as hell if A-Inc announced the new machines with OS5 THIS FREAKING WEEK!!! It could be that A-Inc. simply needs to stop Hyperion from using the Amiga name and logo for the deal Hyperion made with SAM.

Yup, it would seem this whole thing is over naming rights. I'll bet A-Inc. even licensed OS4 to Hyperion. Hyperion just needs to call it something else.

Benji 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 19:59:30
#183 ]
Cult Member

@Amiga4000

Quote:
There STILL ain't no new hardware that you can buy OS4 with or for!!! The only reason A-Inc. came out and said that there would be new hardware is 'cause Hyperion did!!!!!! We're all screwed!!! I got a boner for nuthin!!!

lol Its true though - they both announce hardware to try and help the court case and make out the other hasnt been doing anything to help (hence the "been working on it for 12 months" line on the Ack/AI release...)

I wonder who will be first to blame Eyetech for sabotaging everything...

Last edited by Benji on 30-Apr-2007 at 08:01 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:00:35
#184 ]
Elite Member

@Androxyn
IMHO, Amiga Inc has been stone-walling Hyperion for years (witness all the failed h/w licenses), so Hyperion finally called Amiga Inc's bluff, and Bill McEwan has responded.

It may not have been the sane option for Hyperion to continue development of OS4 since (say) 2003, but without it I think Amiga Inc would have simply moth-balled OS4 until someone stupid enough came along to buy all their IP (inc OS4). I can only hope & assume that Hyperion have a plan...

edit: If Amiga Inc had truly been interested in making money from selling licensed h/w with OS4, they wouldn't have taken 4 years to sue Hyperion. Either they'd have sued them immediately, or failing funds for that they'd have caved in to *some* of Hyperion's demands & widened the scope of the contract, so that they could get on selling stuff & make money for both sides.

Last edited by ChrisH on 30-Apr-2007 at 08:21 PM.

Mobileconnect 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:03:06
#185 ]

IMHO Amiga Inc deserve nothing less than a complete boycott - a boycott of buying their products and of doing any business with them whatsoever.

Hyperion are the only people to have done anything to keep Amiga alive all this time, and now they get this as a thank you. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Mobileconnect on 30-Apr-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Benji 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:04:43
#186 ]
Cult Member

@Mobileconnect

Boycott them all! Its all a waste of time!

smartroad 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:06:26
#187 ]

@fryguy

like it Tho the benny hill music is better at the moment as AInc go round in circles chasing another company they have worked with

markus_wankus 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:07:54
#188 ]

@ChrisH

Agreed.
The only explanation for Hyperion's behaviour (other than sheer madness) is that they have been dealing with sh*t for years from Amiga Inc. and finally had enough. They must have figured they were on solid enough ground contractually to legally to do what they have done. I'm positive there is a lot that happened many years ago that we are not aware of.
The more recent stuff, Hyperion *officially* releasing in Dec., strategic partnership with ACube, everyone clamming up from both sides, Amiga Inc. *trying* to make a new, more up-to-date website, Amige Inc. announcing hardware - that's all stuff done in anticipation of what is happening right now - a court case.

M.

T_Bone 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:13:42
#189 ]
Elite Member

@nine

Quote:

nine wrote:
@Tomas

Quote:
We just dont know a #### about what is happening behind the scenes.

I think this is one of the most sensible things that has been said all thread.

I see a lot of people siding with one of the two parties involved in the proceedings, but to be frank, none of us know the full details. Each account is tainted by personal opinion and it is the court's place to decide what is the truth and what course of action should be taken.

Regardless, what is important here is that we remain impartial. We aren't the judges.

Only the Judges need be impartial. The customers are free to side with whomever can deliver the better product and treats the customers better.

Holy cow these are interesting times!

Manu 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:14:29
#190 ]

@Toaks

Quote:

Toaks wrote:
@moderators

May i suggest some heavy moderating in this thread?

it's littered with accusations, fud and attacks.

Must be the least moderated thread ever here on AW.

"We are not in Kansas anymore, Toaks."

DBAlex 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:22:06
#191 ]
Cult Member

@Manu

We're in Alabama instead!

Alabama, the only state where its advisable to carry a gun AND a bible...!

If thats not a contradiction I don't know what is...!

Ok, Offtopic...!

And, by the way, im keeping out of all the discussions... Its all hot air after all.

Dunno if I want to be part of the Amiga Inc dictatorship anymore.

I feel a bit like this:

It feels like 2 steps forward 4 back... !

yoodoo2 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:22:49
#192 ]

There are so many holes in A Incs documents, I could make a string vest.

If the XE/SE and Micro A1 aren't AmigaOnes, but rather only the Escena thing that never was, then Hyperion haven't prevaricated beause there was no hardware to deliver OS4 for. Rather, A Inc should be prodding Escena or Eyetech to get the AmigaOne out.

Hyperion have quite clearly increased A Inc's IP value by continuing to develop and add features and by maintaining market interest in a product that A Inc had to all intents and purposes abandoned (and there are many public documents to that effect).

Hyperion have always pointed to A Inc for hardware licensing issues so the claim that they are targetting other hardware is spurious. A Inc however, have always pointed to Hyperion for issues about OS4, so they should not be surprised if Hyperion put up a nice-looking website after A Inc refused to do so.

Even if A Inc win, they will basically only get the object code and a little bit of source as so much is sub-licensed, including the all important kernel. The negative side of this is that A Inc may well get what they want: the death of AOS so that they can focus on DE nonsense.

The question I've been asking myself for a long time (way before any of this) is when and why exactly did Ben Hermans jump ship and Evert Carton take over? What does that bring to the table?

I'm sort of assuming that Hyperion is a one-man company with lots of sub-contractors. Ultimately, this may be very bad news for one man, but for the rest of us, life goes on as normal

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

T_Bone 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:26:34
#193 ]
Elite Member

@PulsatingQuasar

Quote:

PulsatingQuasar wrote:
I really hope that the Judge that gets this case also investigates the forums like this one to get a better idea of what is going on.

I hope not. None of us know everything, and see everything through the eyes of a customer regardless of the laws. I know I do. Lawyers are a necessary evil for this kind of thing. Assuming both sides have competent lawyers the Judge should have an accurate picture.

in theory anyway

dirigent 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:28:42
#194 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
IMHO, Amiga Inc has been stone-walling Hyperion for years (witness all the failed h/w licenses), so Hyperion finally called Amiga Inc's bluff, and Bill McEwan has responded.

AI say they were begging for years for OS4 to get finished, and Hyperion never really kept any of their promised deadlines.

DBAlex 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:32:20
#195 ]
Cult Member

@dirigent

Why didnt they pay for more developers then... They have cash remember, they have so much cash they bought a frigging events centre when they have no product to sell!

Do they really expect 2-3 programmers to develop an OS quickly...? Because I certaintly wouldnt.

I think Amiga Inc lives in a very big reality distortion field...!

Maybe im being pessimistic but has Amiga Inc planned this? They want to get OS4 for free and sh*t on Hyperion from a height...!

Hans 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:38:49
#196 ]
Elite Member

@yoodoo2

Quote:

yoodoo2 wrote:
There are so many holes in A Incs documents, I could make a string vest.

If the XE/SE and Micro A1 aren't AmigaOnes, but rather only the Escena thing that never was, then Hyperion haven't prevaricated beause there was no hardware to deliver OS4 for. Rather, A Inc should be prodding Escena or Eyetech to get the AmigaOne out.[quote]

If there is no such thing as Amigaone hardware then Amiga Inc. can't claim that they've been working hard to make a business out of Amiga OS4. Seven years and no licensed hardware?

[quot]Hyperion have quite clearly increased A Inc's IP value by continuing to develop and add features and by maintaining market interest in a product that A Inc had to all intents and purposes abandoned (and there are many public documents to that effect).

In one of my software engineering classes, people lost marks for exceeding the design specification. The lesson: don't exceed the specification, people won't thank you for it. Instead, you'll be accused of delaying, delivering too late, and going over budget.

Quote:

Hyperion have always pointed to A Inc for hardware licensing issues so the claim that they are targetting other hardware is spurious. A Inc however, have always pointed to Hyperion for issues about OS4, so they should not be surprised if Hyperion put up a nice-looking website after A Inc refused to do so.

It looks like it's going to be a messy court case.

Hans

Jamie_S 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:38:58
#197 ]
Cult Member

All this just makes me think "Awww crap! Not more of this rubbish"

Will us Amigans ever know happiness?

nicholas 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:43:47
#198 ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@Colin_Camper

Quote:

Colin_Camper wrote:
@CodeSmith

[quote]I think it was blatantly obvious to the rest of us that nicholas is one of the last few sad individuals trying to keep the old Red vs Blue thing alive. His comments come as no surprise to me.

oh! Come on! I think the Blues have a right to gloat just a little. I say this as a long time red! He is being pretty civil about it! Don't spoil his fun.

Et tu, Colin? Even he felt this was some sort of karmic justice, ####ing on people's graves is just rude.

[/quote]

Where did I say that?

I don't believe in such pagan nonsense anyway.

billt 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:48:08
#199 ]
Elite Member

@yoodoo2

Quote:
The negative side of this is that A Inc may well get what they want: the death of AOS so that they can focus on DE nonsense.

How has the existence of OS4 ever been a significant distraction to AI? They've been quite irrelevant to the AmigaOS (as we know it) product line for a long time. All they had to do was collect their royalty payments ($25/unit from Eyetech OEM or $20/unit from Hyperion for standalone version) And other than depositing payments spend the rest of their time on their precious DE/Anywhere thing.

T_Bone 
Posted on 30-Apr-2007 20:51:02
#200 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:

billt wrote:
@yoodoo2

Quote:
The negative side of this is that A Inc may well get what they want: the death of AOS so that they can focus on DE nonsense.

How has the existence of OS4 ever been a significant distraction to AI? They've been quite irrelevant to the AmigaOS (as we know it) product line for a long time. All they had to do was collect their royalty payments ($25/unit from Eyetech OEM or $20/unit from Hyperion for standalone version) And other than depositing payments spend the rest of their time on their precious DE/Anywhere thing.

You're probably right, they may be indifferent towards OS4 at worst, but they don't benefit in any way from killing it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle