Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 159 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

saimo,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  1 secs ago
 Gunnar:  21 secs ago
 DiscreetFX:  12 mins ago
 amigakit:  18 mins ago
 OldFart:  18 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  38 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Has any developer received the dev board from ack?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sneaky 
Re: Has any developer received the dev board from ack?
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 14:42:01
#61 ]

@debrun

No. PASemi is due Q3-Q4 2007.

LowEnd System was said too be at developers mid May, production release Summer 07, if I remember correctly.

Profile     Report this post  
debrun 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 17:58:47
#62 ]

@Sneaky

Ah! Thank you for clarifying...

Well, I hope we hear from ACK about this. Adam was pretty vocal here on AW.
I truly hope its not a crock of bull. Apparently ACK doesn't have a good track record. Guess time will eventually confirm this especially after the court case.

Derfs 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 18:05:24
#63 ]
Cult Member

@All

so i take it from this no one was in irc when ACK stated that A.Inc had asked him to hold back on them for a bit. this was a few weeks back now.

shoo little trolls.. shoo !!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 19:20:11
#64 ]
Team Member

@Derfs

Quote:

Derfs wrote:
@All

so i take it from this no one was in irc when ACK stated that A.Inc had asked him to hold back on them for a bit. this was a few weeks back now.

shoo little trolls.. shoo !!

If you take it that none of us were in this other irc when "ACK stated that A.Inc had asked him to hold back on them for a bit. this was a few weeks back now" then we did not know this new info. If we did not know this new info then how would be be trolling?

If you know something others don't just considerately state it. Writing "shoo little trolls.. shoo" obviously gives you some amusement but it seems pretty lame.

Does anyone have a link to what Derfs is talking about? And as others mentioned ACK could have simply restated that, if its the case.

Amiga 1200

ssolie 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 19:32:41
#65 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback
Quote:
Does anyone have a link to what Derfs is talking about?

Many of us know all about what Derfs is talking about. If you really want to stay on top of things you have to augment your data gathering to include IRC channels, mailing lists and personal contacts at a minimum.

Web forum dwellers are always the last to know...

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 19:37:54
#66 ]
Team Member

@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@fairlanefastback
Quote:

Many of us know all about what Derfs is talking about. If you really want to stay on top of things you have to augment your data gathering to include IRC channels, mailing lists and personal contacts at a minimum.

Lol! Well good for ACK that he provided that update. And at least now us Web forum dwellers have had the info finally trickle down to us!

Amiga 1200

Shadowolf 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 21:11:56
#67 ]

@Sneaky

Quote:

Sneaky wrote:
@debrun

No. PASemi is due Q3-Q4 2007.

LowEnd System was said too be at developers mid May, production release Summer 07, if I remember correctly.

That's not entirely correct.
The final version of the PA-Semi is due for Q4/2007.
But they already have samples for some time of an earlier step.

Ferry 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 21:28:37
#68 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

You are right about my previous post, to much anger even for my taste, so I apologize if someone felt himself insulted, I sincerely do.

Anyway, I endorse word by word what Kicko said:

Quote:
Cant you just wait to next month at least. Were not talking about a big firm like microsoft here. Damn you people :) Amiga community is worst then ever picking everywhere they can :)

In this Amiga world when someone announces a new hardware project, there are very few chances it will be a big company with a lot of resources and money, it will more likely one or two guys -die-hard amigans, be sure- putting his own money, effort and spare time into it . And we are asking them to deliver in time? Come on... Even if they want to, there are big chances they will run into problems sooner or later: design problem, test problems, redesigning, relayouting, etc. that eventually will make them run into more severe problems: money ones. Damn, even if they fail, at least they have tried! and that's much, MUCH more than any of us can say. How many initiatives of this kind, out of 10, do you expect to succeed? 1? 2?

And what do we do in the meantime? Do our best to make that guys feel like sh|t, like if they owed something to us, doing our best to bash them, being picky for the smallest, minimal thing, showing little to no patience nor respect. Even if we say that it has been a lot of previous failed announcements, it not their fault! Another announcement? Let's hope this one will be the right one! Does anyone remember how many guys made home-made mem expansions or SCSI controllers for the A500? I've seen many amateurs try and fail. Did anyone complain? Not at all! Why? We had alot of hard available back then, so one expansion more or less was a drop in the ocean. Now, every new initiative seems to be our last resort, and perhaps it is, but the truth is that it's the same than the guy and his A500 mem expansion: he tries and makes it because he wants to, and he owes us nothing. If he makes the damn thing and deliver, hooray! If he doesn't, bad luck, perhaps next time, next one.

Again, sorry for my previous post.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 22:39:56
#69 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@fairlanefastback
Quote:

Why is it so hard for Ack and Amiga INC to just let us all know? It does not give people a good impression when one announce a thing and then just go quiet and act like the announcement was never made.

Especially not with the track record that Ack and Amiga INC has from before.. There has been plenty of announcement that just never ever happened. I recall some previous statement that the Ack board was in beta stage and that they were gonna be shown to the public in a week or two.. Here we are like a year later and we have not even seen a picture!
The fact seems to be that it simply did never exist.. If it existed, they surely would have at least shown a picture? Even troika managed to show a picture..

Last edited by Tomas on 01-Jun-2007 at 10:44 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 23:02:39
#70 ]
Team Member

@Ferry

I agree with what you are conceptually saying on many levels. At the same time though these guys should not be so quick with the promised dates in press releases if you are indeed right about the situation. Bear in mind also that Bill is talking to mainstream press saying stuff like "we are well funded" and making multi-million dollar deals like the Kent thing.

So then we have this dilemma as a group. There are those that believe what Bill says and then expect with saying he has such at his disposal that he should not be afforded many excuses and should be able to meet dates with his partners, there are others that say its just him being full of sh*t again and therefore already doubt anything he or ACK is saying. Then there are those who think he exagerates to the public to earn investors and showboat for the court, but that despite that we in the community should cut him a break and not expect much from our camp because we should know better. And a bunch of other variations exist on how we should view Amiga, ACK, and any of the other players and how we should treat them.

My view is if you are hanging up a sign as a business and making announcements and you view me as a prospective customer then don't exagerate. ESPECIALLY if you've been accused of doing so in the past and produced nothing that you promised. Let alone that you should be smart enough as a savy Amigan yourself about what happens reaction-wise to people who do so.

I'm willing to pay multiples of what on paper the damn thing should be worth as a hobbyist. I have the money and the willinginess to buy, I'm meeting my requirement as a good customer.

As a good businessman learn how better to handle yourself with your buying public, especially when you already know that buying public well is what I am getting at.

Bill can woo multi-million dollar investors, he can talk Kent and the Thunderbirds into multi-million dollar deals, but he and his partners have never learned how to properly communicate with us, and thats just sad.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Jun-2007 at 11:04 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 23:09:38
#71 ]
Team Member

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:

Why is it so hard for Ack and Amiga INC to just let us all know? It does not give people a good impression when one announce a thing and then just go quiet and act like the announcement was never made.

Especially not with the track record that Ack and Amiga INC has from before.. There has been plenty of announcement that just never ever happened. I recall some previous statement that the Ack board was in beta stage and that they were gonna be shown to the public in a week or two.. Here we are like a year later and we have not even seen a picture!
The fact seems to be that it simply did never exist.. If it existed, they surely would have at least shown a picture? Even troika managed to show a picture..

I think an unfortunate culture in our community has developed. You will find that many people have forgotten to hold the companies involved to the basic standards they would hold any other companies to in other aspects of their lives. They wouldn't excuse the manufacturer of their TV for this type of behavior, or their dry cleaner, or whatever. But because they hold an emotional investment in the product and because they've had years to have this fester you get some of this behavior. Throw in certain people who like to show how they are "in the know" (and silly you for not being) and you are not and then this is what you get.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Jun-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Amiga 1200

Ferry 
Posted on 2-Jun-2007 0:37:20
#72 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

I was not talking about BillMcE, I doubt he's putting any money on Ack cards, just remember Eyetech, it was Alan who financed the AOne, just to end leaving the scene because of the sort of problems I mentioned, the kind of problems that make you run out of money. If Amiga were really that wealthy as they are trying us to believe, they won't have announced the new hardware as "Amiga and Ack", they would have bought the whole thing and announced it as an own product. Bill looks to me like a car salesman, able to sell you the crapiest car in the world with his spellbinding chat. If he finally delivers something real, tangible, that would be a surprise to me, after years of nothing for the Amiga market.

About "good businessmen": a good businessman would not touch the Amiga market not even with a barg pole, it's ruinous! How many Amigans left? 10.000? -and that's being generous...- How many would buy a new motherboard? 5.000? How does it cost to develop and produce a new board? How much will you charge per unit to get some profit -that's what businesses are made for, aren't they?-, taking into account that you will sell only 5.000 units? Then you, as a good businessman, realize that you need to focus your product to another market if you really want to make some profit, just as ACube did or tried: embedded market, industrial customers and, maybe, as a side-effect, as a secondary market, eventually sell some units to Amiga customers, that's if you get a license, if you have an AmigaOS to run on your MB, if, if, if... Too many 'if'. All in all, what I'm trying to say is that only TRUE Amigans take the risk involved in such a venture: to produce something for the Amiga market.

Only Bill seems to have a new plan of world domination for the Amiga market, after years of ignoring it and its community, US, the ones who make possible that there's still an Amiga market, even if it's a ruinous one :¬)

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200

mailman 
Posted on 2-Jun-2007 7:47:19
#73 ]

@Turrican3

Quote:

But I guess that even if someone actually did, they wouldn't tell us, mostly because of NDA's and things like that...

Well, I don't think that saying "Yes, I have the dev board" would be the breach of NDA.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 2-Jun-2007 9:11:27
#74 ]

@Ferry

Quote:

Ferry wrote:
@fairlanefastback

You are right about my previous post, to much anger even for my taste, so I apologize if someone felt himself insulted, I sincerely do.
[...]
Again, sorry for my previous post.

You have nothing to sorry about. You answered in a much more polite than most people in this thread.

With everything else you say I fully agree.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 2-Jun-2007 9:22:33
#75 ]

@d0c

Quote:

d0c wrote:
@Cool_amigaN

if he coudnt release any new hw with this ongoing legal battle, then he could have said so in this thread, it isnt that hard you know.... but ack did choose to avoid answer the question of this topic...

I wouldn't. Does this make me a crook?

Amiga inc clearly said that "No, we are not a hardware developer because there are not money in it" even though they also stated that they have millions of dollars as a back up and/or to invest in marketing.

Now, If you were Adam and let's suppose that you have already the boards in a working/prototype condition, there is an ongoing legal dispute, you as individual have no financial back up, why you would risk anything if not all. Personally, I would stay queit until everything is settled up and then make any announcement on public via a forum or through irc.

Also, I feel that ACK appeared a lot in these forums and irc and he was kind enough to provide extra infos although this is not his job.

1Mouse 
Posted on 2-Jun-2007 9:47:30
#76 ]

@Cool_amigaN

So why not produce a board that can run Linux

Surely this would be a way of getting hardware out there, that may in future run OS4.

Linux seems the way to go, the A1 originally ran Linux (awaiting OS4).

Ref:
Dell are npow to supply there hardware with Linux installed instead of Windoze.

I would prefer to buy hardware with Linux and in the future (a true promise of) OS4 than no hardware at all.

Does this seem to make sense to anybody, or is just me.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

ackcontrls 
Posted on 2-Jun-2007 15:34:13
#77 ]

@1Mouse

Quote:
I would prefer to buy hardware with Linux and in the future (a true promise of) OS4 than no hardware at all.

Does this seem to make sense to anybody, or is just me

The biggest issue is that it takes extra manpower to support customers with Linux. The release of the AmigaOne with Linux at the beginning added extra work that detracted from the main goal. Customers will view this as lack of support, even when it is clearly stated that you will receive little support regarding Linux.

Adam

1Mouse 
Posted on 2-Jun-2007 15:40:22
#78 ]

@ackcontrls

Sorry for any upset.

I, like many others, just need to know where and when we can see some results.

It very frusting for many Amiga users who wish to take the next step.

I have no preferance as far as hardware is concerned (ACK or ACube) I jst wish to have a computer (Amiga) running an enjoyable OS (OS4).

We all wish to know whether these goals are obtainable, do you have any answers

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

scabit 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 17:39:14
#79 ]

@ssolie

Please don't take this the wrong way...but there have recently been a lot of posts that are just outright lies and fabrications by people who seem intent on destroying the Amiga community (I do NOT mean you ssolie, I'm talking about others.)
I have tried to read all of Acks IRC logs and thought I had, several times. So far I have never seen any mention of Ack saying they would slip the target dates for the new boards...everything Adam has said so far has indicated that the legal proceedings were not going to affect his development schedule, which is opposite of what someone is now claiming. I think that unless someone will provide a link to the Ack IRC session that hast his information, I must continue to consider it invalid.

Could I have missed one of the sessions? Absolutely. But could you please give me a link to it so I can determine for myself what is going on?

You are right, forum dwellers are the last to know!

Thanks,

Scott

Derfs 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 20:06:49
#80 ]
Cult Member

@scabit

i believe what most people dont realise, and this is not a go at you scabit, is that ACk has never had an official irc question and answer session. it is more he is online and people ask him questions. as he isnt a complete #### (IMHO anyways heh) he answers them as best he can.

Adam is a victim of being too nice, as if he never said anything the general public would be none the wiser, and find someone else to abuse. i mean, there is always amiga.inc isnt there?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle