Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  20 mins ago
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 agami:  34 mins ago
 Vidar:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Swisso:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  wxWidgets
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
AlexC 
Re: wxWidgets
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 7:41:39
#61 ]

@Hans

Ah well, I misread something it seems, I thought that Blender depended on wxWidgets but I don't see it listed in the dependencies list from the blender.org site.

Still, it looks like wxWidgets would be useful for some things, like AudioEVolution 5 and Spot's unquenchable thirst for new ports , so I'll lend a hand, e.g. with the ReAction stuff, but like you say, the SF project should be updated to the latest code, and SVN I suppose.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 11:23:55
#62 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@AlexC

Blender has already been ported to OS 4 (albeit not released), wxWidgets are not used in Blender.

Swoop 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 17:15:40
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:
Blender has already been ported to OS 4 (albeit not released)

Any chance??

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

AlexC 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 23:31:10
#64 ]

@Rogue

Who do I have to ki^H^H bribe to get this released?

Thanks for mentioning it as it would be a waste to duplicate the effort when so many other things need to be coded or ported.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

abalaban 
Posted on 21-Apr-2008 8:37:49
#65 ]

@Hans

Quote:
but we need to update to the latest version of the WxWidgets code. Preferrably we'd sync with the upcoming v3.0 code. Then work on the GUI components could start.

I know I promised you to do it a long time ago, I already activated the SVN repository but I have less and less time for Amiga programming with my first child coming in August I have many things to prepare in the house... If you want and you are really motivated I might give you some more rights on the repositories, just ask.

@AlexC

Quote:
I downloaded the files from the CVS and (after tweaking utils.cpp as the TimerDelay() function could not be found) I was able to compile a libwxBase.a and then sample/console with -lwxBase

I then tried to port some wxWidgets apps but eventually realized that wxBase is only the non-GUI part of wxWidget :-/

What's needed next?

Yes you are right : until now only basic classes were ported (wxBase) and even not the whole framework yet wxBase contains many many many utility classes ranging from network/socket to xml parsing that are not ported yet. For now the library is barely usable for a (very) simple console application, a lot of work need to be achieved before we can even start to think about the GUI part...

Cyborg 
Posted on 21-Apr-2008 9:53:04
#66 ]

@Hans

Some months ago i did a quick and dirty merge of the current wxBase Amiga sources with some official 2.8.x version.. it took me some hours, but in the end, at least the console test app worked.. well, that was a day i was utterly bored and after getting the test app working with the 2.8.x code, i didn't do anything more with it .. i'm not even sure the test app worked 100% correctly ..

As said, it was really quick and dirty .. but to give you some hint about the time needed to merge the stuff basically, you shouldn't need more than a couple of hours ..

And IMHO it would be better to start with the latest 2.8.x release to merge the code and continue the porting until 3.0 is released.. maybe you have more information, but i couldn't find any other plan than releasing it somewhen in 2008 (yes, "hopefully in the beginning" which already past ;) ) ..

As far as I read about 3.0 it will contain a lot new stuff, but the basic stuff remains in huge parts.. so it surely wouldn't be a waste of time to get a full wxBase port and maybe even some GUI classes until then..

After all, we could then also wait again for 3.1, because they may fix some issues... then for 3.2, 3.3, etc.. ;)

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)

abalaban 
Posted on 21-Apr-2008 10:33:51
#67 ]

@Cyborg

Hello Cyborg, will you be interested in having write access to the wxBase Amiga repository ? It would be really cool if your work (even if "quick and dirty" as you characterize it won't be lost, at least it's a start, other people would be able to build upon that, every little step done forward is still a step forward, so don't hesitate, also you can send it as a patch using the patch submission feature of sourceforge).

Cyborg 
Posted on 21-Apr-2008 10:59:13
#68 ]

@abalaban

I'll have to check that stuff i did before i can give it away... but basically its of course no problem .. i'll see when i find the time and get back to you.

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)

Hans 
Posted on 21-Apr-2008 14:16:33
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Cyborg

Quote:

Cyborg wrote:
@Hans

Some months ago i did a quick and dirty merge of the current wxBase Amiga sources with some official 2.8.x version.. it took me some hours, but in the end, at least the console test app worked.. well, that was a day i was utterly bored and after getting the test app working with the 2.8.x code, i didn't do anything more with it .. i'm not even sure the test app worked 100% correctly ..

It would be great if you could update the source repository with that.

Quote:

And IMHO it would be better to start with the latest 2.8.x release to merge the code and continue the porting until 3.0 is released.. maybe you have more information, but i couldn't find any other plan than releasing it somewhen in 2008 (yes, "hopefully in the beginning" which already past ;) ) ..

Details for v 3.0 are a bit sketchy but it sounds like there may be a few changes in the internals. The biggest change is that everything is unicode internally (which means that Tetisoft's help would be great, if he has the time). There's also some change to the device context for rendering. They changed from using virtual methods and inheritance, to delegation.

Having said all that, I'm perfectly happy if we work with the existing release.

@abalaban

Right now I'm still to busy with MiniGL and other stuff to spend more time on wxWidgets. However, Cyborg's update should be a good step in the right direction. BTW, is there how much more is there still to do on wxBase?

Hans

elwood 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 12:57:08
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Just found this thread.
I would like to bump it up to see if some people might find some time to work on it.

Amiga Translator Organisation

DaveAE 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 13:01:58
#71 ]

@elwood

I'll donate 400 euro if all parts of wxWidgets needed to compile and run Audio Evolution 5 successfully are ported. That is: native and fast enough.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 14:36:32
#72 ]
Elite Member

@DaveAE

Quote:
Some very early screenshot on OS4/X11 of AE5:

You was right not to develop it any further. It would have been an insult to AmigaOS4 if the OS4 version of AE5 looked like it was running on Windows 3.1!

Last edited by Hypex on 26-Feb-2009 at 02:09 AM.

DaveAE 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 14:54:22
#73 ]

@Hypex

It's all a matter of how the window manager looks.
Anyway, it wasn't really developing, it was merely a recompile from the multi-platform sources.

Troels 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 17:08:16
#74 ]
Elite Member

@DaveAE
It's no secret that wxWidgets will be the next bounty on amigabounty.net so I will hold you on to that promise

Just have had a lot of personal stuff to take care of (like finding a new job) so haven't had enough time to really look into t that project yet (like defining rules etc.)

Last edited by Troels on 25-Feb-2009 at 05:13 PM.

DaveAE 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 20:14:01
#75 ]

@Troels

Heh, that's ok. It's just that I can't take the risk of giving it up-front.

Btw, I'm currently adding MIDI sequencing, so it would be a great app on OS4! :)

Last edited by DaveAE on 25-Feb-2009 at 08:14 PM.

spotUP 
Posted on 30-Mar-2010 22:08:39
#76 ]
Elite Member

from amigabounty.net:
Quote:
Because of lack of time Alexandre has asked to have the deadline for wxBase pushed until end of January. Alexandre still encounters some problems with the wxBase port and probably won't have time to fix the remaining errors during December. I hope everyone is ok with the delay, if you have any concerns please send me an email. Thanks for your support!

its almost april now, any news?

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

mr2 
Posted on 30-Mar-2010 22:49:43
#77 ]
Cult Member

@spotUP

Quote:
UPDATE: 11.02.2010 wxBase is more or less complete only a few errors remain. Unfortunately Alexandre (the developer) have trouble with his AmigaOne (that might be dead) resulting in a DELAY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. If anyone has any questions or suggestions don't hesitate to contact me.................. wxCore deadline will be announced when Alexandre has got the A1 or a replacement up and running.

ne_one 
Posted on 30-Mar-2010 23:55:05
#78 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
UPDATE: 11.02.2010 wxBase is more or less complete only a few errors remain. Unfortunately Alexandre (the developer) have trouble with his AmigaOne (that might be dead) resulting in a DELAY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. If anyone has any questions or suggestions don't hesitate to contact me.................. wxCore deadline will be announced when Alexandre has got the A1 or a replacement up and running.

Sounds like a good candidate for a development box loaner.

spotUP 
Posted on 1-Apr-2010 1:05:24
#79 ]
Elite Member

what a shame... :/

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

ferrels 
Posted on 1-Apr-2010 3:59:48
#80 ]
Cult Member

@Hans

I've used wxwidgets in the PC environment for several years. Cross-platform compatibility is great across several systems but the code tends to be very bloated and somewhat slow. For example, if I compile a PLPLOT example using the Windows native display driver, I get executables that are roughly 300KB in size. If I compile them using the wxwidgets drivers, the file size balloons up to 1.5 MB and the interface is noticeably slower.

I prefer the FLTK library because the code is much smaller and faster and the API seems easier to understand, at least to me anyway. It's at least as capable as wxwidgets.

You can find the AmigaOS 4 version of FLTK already pre-compiled and ready to go here: http://www.soft3dev.net/pages/fltk.php

If you really want to be wowed byFLTK's capabilities, I recommend Erco's FLTK Cheat page, found here: http://seriss.com/people/erco/fltk/

Last edited by ferrels on 01-Apr-2010 at 04:07 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle