Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 63 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  19 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 JimS:  4 hrs 4 mins ago
 Hans:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 55 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 20 mins ago
 A1200:  5 hrs 21 mins ago
 Kremlar:  5 hrs 42 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 50 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Mono for AmigaOS
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
midwan 
Re: Mono for AmigaOS
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 22:04:41
#21 ]

@yttriumox

Sorry to dig up this "ancient" thread, but I was wondering how far you got with this?

I was considering something similar as an idea, though more realistically for the OS4 platform.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 18:55:19
#22 ]
Elite Member

@midwan

http://lifeofliveforit.blogspot.no/search/label/.Net

I wanted to learn C#, and make a cross platform program.

I started implementing some of the class libraries for .net framework, but it is incomplete.
the basic idea here was to reuse let's say 80%-90% of my program code with out having to change too much.

Porting Mono from Linux won't work well, you need to support native audio, graphics and network API's of AmigaOS, or it's going to be dog slow.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 07-Jul-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 07-Jul-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 07-Jul-2015 at 07:00 PM.

yttriumox 
Posted on 15-Jul-2015 19:40:19
#23 ]

@midwan

How far I got was "not at all", since I never got any access to a modern Amiga system and as per one of my posts here, I'd decided it wasn't even worth trying to do a 68k port.

I'd actually love to do it at some point, but since I last posted, I've gotten married, become a father (twice over) and been promoted from developer to management (actually this is a reason I'd love to do it if I could, I miss coding!)... so I'd first need to get my hands on a modern Amiga system and then find some time amongst everything else.

On the plus side, mono has grown and grown and become more and more of a mainstream thing. The agreement/partnership between Xamarin and Microsoft adds a lot of legitimacy and should assuage a lot of the "it's a doomed project" naysayers.

DC_Edge 
Posted on 15-Jul-2015 20:39:55
#24 ]

https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet

??

nzv58l 
Posted on 15-Jul-2015 22:00:06
#25 ]

@yttriumox

Access to 4.1 should be a little easier now. I think you should be able to run OS 4.1 final edition Classic on UAE with a PPC configuration.

May not be that fast, but at least you would have something to work with.

Not sure if it would be feasible, but I wonder if it would be possible to have a code converter that would just replace platform specific code with Amiga friendly code. Then you wouldn't need to run anything extra on the Amiga, the code would just be converted then compiled. I am not much of a fan of extra things running in the background. For instance every time a new Java version comes out then they start updating the stuff that runs on it and then you have things that run with old versions that don't work with the new stuff.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Jul-2015 16:31:39
#26 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Quote:
Not sure if it would be feasible, but I wonder if it would be possible to have a code converter that would just replace platform specific code with Amiga friendly code.

Let's say if it was feasible, some one head done it already.

The "C" and "C++" language is OS dependent, just because "all" Operating Systems are written in this language, and what was written is the difference.

.net is just a windows API, that has its own commands and it object oriented uses "Classes", unlike AmigaOS that where what we call object is just structs, and list nodes.

And even more an issue many of the things that exists in Windows, does not in AmigaOS.
Quote:
Then you wouldn't need to run anything extra on the Amiga[quote]
AmigaOS is written in "C" or originally in "BCPL", .net is classes are "C++" a more modern API.
We do not have this Classes this methods, on AmigaOS, that’s originally a Microsoft Windows thing.
There is nothing to translate too.
[quote]the code would just be converted then compiled.

If we wrote the C++ .net classes, them it is very possible to compile, MS windows .net C++ programs.

Quote:
I am not much of a fan of extra things running in the background.

Originally, C# was Microsoft Java, it is runtime engine, but instead of Java Classes, it uses .net Classes, the point is that C# takes care of the disposing of things when they are not in use, and C# is safe language, there is no pointers, you can't poke around like you can in C++, You can access things by reference, but so you can in C++ as well, that’s the fundamental difference.

Basically C# allows you to code, without having to worry about finer details. If you tried to compile C# code as C++, you most likely run out of ram fast.

Quote:
For instance every time a new Java version comes out then they start updating the stuff that runs on it and then you have things that run with old versions that don't work with the new stuff.

That happens with C++ and C programs as well, when API's change or libraries change things stops working. Unless the programs are statically linked, so libraries are built into the exe file.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Jul-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Jul-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Jul-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Jul-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Jul-2015 at 04:32 PM.

itix 
Posted on 17-Jul-2015 17:39:10
#27 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
.net is just a windows API, that has its own commands and it object oriented uses "Classes", unlike AmigaOS that where what we call object is just structs, and list nodes.

It is not "Windows API" although it wraps large parts of native Windows APIs (like Bitmap class what is basically GDI+ repackaged).

Quote:
Originally, C# was Microsoft Java, it is runtime engine, but instead of Java Classes, it uses .net Classes, the point is that C# takes care of the disposing of things when they are not in use, and C# is safe language, there is no pointers, you can't poke around like you can in C++,

As a matter of fact you can although it should be avoided. Typical example is modifying bitmaps directly.

(Struct exist in C# but are no way same with C structs.)

Last edited by itix on 17-Jul-2015 at 05:42 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Jul-2015 17:48:18
#28 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Well it was not designed for Linux, that is what I meant by it.

Basicity you have.

Program (VB or C#) -> RunTime (VB or C#) -> .net API for (C++,C#,VB2008 or newer).

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Jul-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Jul-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Jul-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 17-Jul-2015 19:24:54
#29 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

DC_Edge wrote:
https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet

??

This is actually the Internet of Things version of the .NET core redone using LLVM in place of the Visual Studio runtimes. It is integrated into the latest versions of Mono.

Re:Mono written for Linux
I've run it on my Mac but it looks terrible if you use the .NET native GUI. I'd rather use wxWidgets or something that uses native gadgets.

cdimauro 
Posted on 17-Jul-2015 20:55:04
#30 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

The "C" and "C++" language is OS dependent, just because "all" Operating Systems are written in this language, and what was written is the difference.

C and C++ as languages aren't o.s. dependent. Of course, the implementation for a specific o.s. depends on it, but it's obvious: the o.s. has to provide some services to let implement the language and it's standard library.
Quote:

No, .NET is not based on the Windows API.
Quote:
AmigaOS is written in "C" or originally in "BCPL", .net is classes are "C++" a more modern API.

Not even "fully" C++, since .NET doesn't support multiple inheritance (from classes) even for the C++/CLR. Only inheritance by interfaces (and a single class) is supported.
Quote:
Originally, C# was Microsoft Java, it is runtime engine, but instead of Java Classes, it uses .net Classes,

The primary language which inspired C# was C++, as its creator stated several years ago.
Quote:
the point is that C# takes care of the disposing of things when they are not in use, and C# is safe language, there is no pointers, you can't poke around like you can in C++, You can access things by reference, but so you can in C++ as well, that’s the fundamental difference.

That's not true. C# has pointers too, and therefore can execute code which is called "unsafe" in the .NET terminology.
Quote:
Basically C# allows you to code, without having to worry about finer details. If you tried to compile C# code as C++, you most likely run out of ram fast.

That's depends on the application. Also, see above: you can execute unsafe code in C#. Last but not least, you can also compile the whole application in the native binary format at the first execution, optimizing it for the given architecture.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle