Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  18 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  31 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Comi:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  My copy of AOS4.1 arrived today !!!!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: My copy of AOS4.1 arrived today !!!!!
Posted on 12-Sep-2008 12:51:48
#121 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Quote:
Actually no, but I am surprised it doesn't. Although the outer shipping cover had an ugly brown stain on it. Coffee? I don't want to speculate any further.
I've managed to pop out the OS4.1 box, but it still has a dent in the front. The top right corner where you close the flap has a tear in it also. I can live with it.

Heh! I had no idea that Wal-Mart was doing the distribution.

Profile     Report this post  
Moxee 
Posted on 12-Sep-2008 12:54:03
#122 ]
Team Member

@QuikSanz

Quote:

It was wrapped up so well I had to cut the bubble wrap envelope out from around the box.
All but the box are in perfect shape.

Miss Piggy was probably holding your package in one hand, slurping coffee with the other hand, all the while using mine as a cushion to sit on.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

hotrod 
Posted on 12-Sep-2008 13:42:21
#123 ]
Elite Member

@Stephen_Robinson

One of the most pleasing way of using a scrollbar is to click in the empty area (where the scrollbar isn't) to move it down one page, I allways use that. In combination with a scrollwheel, the arrow keys wich often works etc I allmost never use the arrows no matter if they're placed together as it's in AOS 4 and pre versions (wich I actually think is better anyway) or if they are at each end.

Yo 
Posted on 12-Sep-2008 15:15:30
#124 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:
Heh! I had no idea that Wal-Mart was doing the distribution.

United States Postal Service... same employees.

(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)

AmiDog 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 14:39:32
#125 ]
Cult Member

@Moxee

Quote:
The package looks like Miss Piggy sat on it. I swear you can see the imprint of cheeks. I always wondered if postal employees do that on purpose when they see a sticker labled Fragile / With Care like this one had on it.

Looks like I got a Piggy (TM) too. Man, I have never seen a box that badly beaten up before. Miss Piggy did I really good job there.

Next time I order something which is in a box, I'll ask AmigaKit if they can flatten the box before sending it, I bet it has a much better chance to arrive in a somewhat decent state that way.

After a few minutes of working on the box, it almost looks like a box again...

murakami 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 15:30:13
#126 ]

E-UAE doesn't work under OS 4.1...

redfox 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 15:49:55
#127 ]
Elite Member

@Syperhawk

My OS4.1 package has been sitting in Canada Customs in Vancouver, BC for a few days. Not sure if there is a hold-up at Canada Customs or if it is business as usual. I'll check later today to see if there are any further updates on the Canada Post tracking site.

Amigakit sent me several updates be email as they filled out my order and Royal Mail promptly completed their end of the overseas delivery. Many thanks to all parties involved at that end of the transaction.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 13-Sep-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Moxee 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 16:41:21
#128 ]
Team Member

@AmiDog

Quote:

Quote:
The package looks like Miss Piggy sat on it. I swear you can see the imprint of cheeks. I always wondered if postal employees do that on purpose when they see a sticker labled Fragile / With Care like this one had on it.

Looks like I got a Piggy (TM) too. Man, I have never seen a box that badly beaten up before. Miss Piggy did I really good job there.

Well, I hope you do not end up with all the trouble I am having. The CD looks fine, but when I got to setting up my new 3512 serial controller and sata drive I found that there are files missing in the partitioning menu on the CD. All the partition profiles are gone. I wanted to try that to see what the partitioning profiles set up was like.

I installed the slb, then set up my partitions manually. Of course I saved the configurations, but the slb kept disappearing. Whenever I would look back it would be gone. I had to install it several times before it took hold. Finally I was able to install OS4.1. Alas, another problem. OS4.1 won't boot because it cannot find the slb. After 12 hours of frustration I have given up and taken out the serial controller and gone back to the VIA. Looks like I will have to do an update to my existing 4.0 install.

But, I don't see how any of this is related to the flattened shipping package.

Interesting 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 16:58:47
#129 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@Moxee

Quote:
I'll do the install on Saturday.

we will be waiting for your install video

Moxee 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 17:56:28
#130 ]
Team Member

@Interesting

Well, I started it on Friday afternoon. It is a good thing that I did not have a camera set up with all the fussin' and fightin' I was doing. I broke for sleep and tried again this morning.

I can't figure out why the slb is not found when it is there. How do you clean off a hard drive and start over? I've never tried that before.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 18:33:30
#131 ]

@Moxee

Been looking through the the manual and it looks like a reformat job. Then set uboot to boot from CDROM and start from there.

Chris

Moxee 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 21:50:57
#132 ]
Team Member

@QuikSanz

You mean reformat the drive as one whole piece? Hell, this drive will not even let me delete a parition. Every time I think I have cleaned the hard drive and start the CD over again I find my original hard set up still there.

I just came in from 4 hours of weeding some rose beds and yelling at speeders racing by. Maybe now I've got rid of most ofl that frustration to try another go at it.

Rogue 
Posted on 13-Sep-2008 21:58:47
#133 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Moxee

Normally, all you would have to do to completely wipe a disk is to delete all partitions and make new ones. Make sure to select "Save setup to drive" (or something like that, don't know the exact string anymore) before quitting, otherwise nothing is changed.

Syperhawk 
Posted on 14-Sep-2008 1:56:00
#134 ]

@redfox

Quote:

redfox wrote:
@Syperhawk

My OS4.1 package has been sitting in Canada Customs in Vancouver, BC for a few days. Not sure if there is a hold-up at Canada Customs or if it is business as usual. I'll check later today to see if there are any further updates on the Canada Post tracking site.

Amigakit sent me several updates be email as they filled out my order and Royal Mail promptly completed their end of the overseas delivery. Many thanks to all parties involved at that end of the transaction.

---
redfox

I don't think mine hit Canada Yet
Last update was that Roylal Has it

I know when my A1 came here, It was in Customs for a few days
& that was coming from US

SyperHawk

Telnet:->amigaisland.dyndns.org (Down Until Further Notice)
=================================================

Syperhawk 
Posted on 14-Sep-2008 1:59:50
#135 ]

@Moxee

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
@AmiDog

Quote:

[quote]The package looks like Miss Piggy sat on it. I swear you can see the imprint of cheeks. I always wondered if postal employees do that on purpose when they see a sticker labled Fragile / With Care like this one had on it.

Well, I hope you do not end up with all the trouble I am having. The CD looks fine, but when I got to setting up my new 3512 serial controller and sata drive I found that there are files missing in the partitioning menu on the CD. All the partition profiles are gone. I wanted to try that to see what the partitioning profiles set up was like.

I installed the slb, then set up my partitions manually. Of course I saved the configurations, but the slb kept disappearing. Whenever I would look back it would be gone. I had to install it several times before it took hold. Finally I was able to install OS4.1. Alas, another problem. OS4.1 won't boot because it cannot find the slb. After 12 hours of frustration I have given up and taken out the serial controller and gone back to the VIA. Looks like I will have to do an update to my existing 4.0 install.

But, I don't see how any of this is related to the flattened shipping package.[/quote]

I was gonna buy a serial card for my A1 from AmigaKit until someone told me that you cant boot the OS from the Serial HD.

SyperHawk

Telnet:->amigaisland.dyndns.org (Down Until Further Notice)
=================================================

Moxee 
Posted on 14-Sep-2008 3:07:33
#136 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Moxee

Normally, all you would have to do to completely wipe a disk is to delete all partitions and make new ones. Make sure to select "Save setup to drive" (or something like that, don't know the exact string anymore) before quitting, otherwise nothing is changed.

Highlighting the the partition names and selecting Remove/Delete would not work. I finally pulled each partition down to zero then they could be Removed/Deleted.

I spent another 8-9 hours on this today. All the partition templates or profiles are missing. That whole menu is empty. No matter I can make my own partitions, but it makes me wonder if other files are missing or corrupt on this CD. I noticed that the SLB file size increased a couple of times after reinstalling.

I finally got OS4.1 installed again. When it tries to boot there are several recoverable alerts (red box flashing). Other error boxes show up in different places, but I am too cranky and irritable right now to even think about writing down or saving any of the numbers. I simply have to quit this and get away.

I know I have done everything correct. I done it all step by step and saved everything when it should be. I've spent close to 24 hours over two days and done it so many times I am tired of trying.

Conclusion:
A faulty install CD or a faulty hard drive.

Moxee 
Posted on 14-Sep-2008 3:13:06
#137 ]
Team Member

@Syperhawk

Quote:

I was gonna buy a serial card for my A1 from AmigaKit until someone told me that you cant boot the OS from the Serial HD.

I've never heard that. But if this is true that would explain all the trouble I am having.

Can anyone answer this for sure?

nbache 
Posted on 14-Sep-2008 11:10:42
#138 ]

@Moxee
Yes, it's true, booting from SATA is currently not supported.

Also, regarding the missing profiles, I believe they are simply missing from the CD. At least, there are none on my copy either (they would normally live as files in the Profiles subdirectory of the System drawer), and also none on the last beta ISO I tested before 4.1 went "gold". Whether this was intended or merely an oversight, I don't know; I only spotted it now. Maybe Rogue or Rigo would know. But at least it's probably not down to your CD being damaged.

P.S. Going back and checking, in previous updates there was only one profile in that directory, called OS4Def_template (unless of course you saved some more in there yourself).

Best regards,

Niels

Last edited by nbache on 14-Sep-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Toni 
Posted on 14-Sep-2008 13:49:56
#139 ]

@murakami

Starting E-UAE on a JXFS-Partition did'nt work on my µA1 (backdrops where not found), but starting it from a SFS-Partition 'fixed' the problem ...

Chris_Y 
Posted on 14-Sep-2008 13:59:07
#140 ]
Elite Member

@nbache

Quote:
Yes, it's true, booting from SATA is currently not supported.

No, that's only half true.

If you have a SiI 3112 then you can boot from it.

However, if it is a SiI 3114 then you can't.

It's been like this for ages and I doubt it has changed with 4.1 as it is a U-Boot restriction.

Chris

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle