Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  6 mins ago
 Frank:  12 mins ago
 OlafS25:  13 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  32 mins ago
 MickJT:  51 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AROS splits (goodbye AROS?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Manu 
Re: AROS splits (goodbye AROS?)
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 20:33:13
#41 ]

@ne_one

I agree, what are people afraid of here REALLY ??

Profile     Report this post  
retro 
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 20:44:36
#42 ]

@Manu

make it small fast an cheap..

anyway it might be the secret amiga os 5.0 (five) from amiga inc

but it dont think that my self. how many pices har amiga land ind now.

winuae/euae
amigaathlon
amigaxl
amiga classic
amiga classic with ppc
amiga one/samt ( os 4.0 ) with i see as the futhure.the time for classics is over time to move over.
amiga de
aros
morphos.

as fare as i can remember dident gateway2000 make some new os with the unix crew with was allmost finish. way dident the use some code from that to os 4.0 insted of 3.5/3.9 only

Hans 
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 20:59:32
#43 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Time will tell if AROS disappears. Somehow I don't think that it will just drop out of site.

I'm actually curious as to what this Anubis will be. Like the OS 4.x community, AROS developers are also interested in moving toward an OS with all modern features (e.g., memory protection, SMP, etc.). Seeing as this will break source compatibility, and making a sandbox is going to take quite a bit of effort, leveraging the core of a Linux kernel does sound like a good place to start. How about waiting until the Anubis team have more than a logo on display to the public.

On a side note, they're using Silverstripe as CMS, the same one that my site uses.

Hans

xispo 
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 21:47:18
#44 ]

I like this idea. The great elephant in the room in Amigaland is the concept of the "big leap".

The "big leap" is nothing less than designing a new but incompatible API with the Amiga spirit embedded into it.

It looks like Anubis developers just want to concentrate on the big leap. That's the really difficult part, because this "Amiga spirit" concept can be very tricky to grasp. Some people will reject the result inmediately, not because of technical de-merits, but because this strong sense of identity that amigans have. It's gonna be personal all the time.

They want to use Linux because they seem to understand that the PC platform is not only the hardware but also the drivers that vendors make. They cannot use Windows, so the second natural choice is Linux.

They want to concentrate in the funny part.

ChrisH 
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 22:05:13
#45 ]
Elite Member

@xispo
It is hard (if not impossible) to define the "Amiga spirit", so I have to wonder how many Amigans will accept Anubis (there were enough arguments about MorphOS vs OS4, and they are almost identical by comparison). Especially being built on a Linux kernel!

@all
I have no idea how many active AROS developers are working on Anubis (and so presumably abandoning AROS due to limited time), nor how many remain. I hope that we will find out.

I also wish them good luck with Anubis, because they will need it. If they are working on something they find interesting (rather than a slog as maybe AROS may have become), then maybe they will make faster progress than AROS...

Plaz 
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 22:26:14
#46 ]

@Darth_X

Quote:
Anyone here ever use Matt Dillon's DICE C compiler?

Yes, a very long time ago for a few small programs before moving on to SAS/C. II may still have my disk and manual around here some where.

Plaz

HenryCase 
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 22:41:30
#47 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH
Quote:
ChrisH wrote:
I have no idea how many active AROS developers are working on Anubis (and so presumably abandoning AROS due to limited time), nor how many remain. I hope that we will find out.

I also wish them good luck with Anubis, because they will need it. If they are working on something they find interesting (rather than a slog as maybe AROS may have become), then maybe they will make faster progress than AROS...

Such speculation is not helping ChrisH. AROS development isn't going to stop any time soon. All you can say for sure is the two AROS developers mentioned in the AROS Show blog will be working on Anubis.

Last edited by HenryCase on 09-Nov-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 23:00:33
#48 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Generally I like the idea (not a new idea and not very innovative though, but still a good idea). Question will be how much Amiga will it be in the end? And how much *nix will be in there?
MorphOS and AmigaOS4 are somehow in trouble (stuck to ppc (which I stll like a lot and haven't given up yet) and other limitations (which may also seen as strengthes)), and while I like these systems and support them, I think it doesn't hurt to look for alternative approches.
There's not much to lose, but rather to gain...
AROS (x86) isn't binary compatible anyway (and *I* have my serious concerns that a transparent 68k emulation will ever find its way into AROS) , thus why stick with teh Amiga limitations and don't do soemthing new?
MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x are different, they succeed the 68k line directly. In case of MorphOS I am still waiting for the QBox - the new approach of MorphOS. I guess Anubis may become something similar that the QBox should have become (and maybe will become one day).

opi 
Posted on 9-Nov-2008 23:23:24
#49 ]
Team Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
Generally I like the idea (not a new idea and not very innovative though, but still a good idea). Question will be how much Amiga will it be in the end? And how much *nix will be in there?

Think about balance between UNIX and OS X. You can do evertything (OK, almost) that's UNIX-y in OS X, but you don't have to. I think with OS X this balance is perfect (still, I'd rather use Linux for when it comes to work and use OS X as home system) and if there will be something Amiga like with all UNIX goodness, I'm sold.

umisef 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 0:27:32
#50 ]

[Sorry, context error. Post made no sense, thus deleted]

Last edited by umisef on 10-Nov-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Phantom 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 8:22:29
#51 ]
Elite Member

@ne_one

Quote:
C'mon that's not only incorrect but just plain silly.

Yeah...

Anyway AnubisOS needs our "good lucks" and I hope that they know what they are doing. I wish all the best with this project.

damocles 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 10:34:43
#52 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

It's a handful, not sure how many of those will continue with AROS. Wonderful thing for Anubis OS, supposedly two major AROS developers who left for Linux (one left a good two plus years ago) will be active Anubis OS developers. I expect to see more former AROS developers to get involved with Anubis OS as it goes forward in development. New developers are of course, always welcomed.

Dammy

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 10:52:53
#53 ]
Elite Member

Do we really need another OS?

Why they don't uset this time to develop for OS4?

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 11:00:49
#54 ]

Have you guys figured that the hardest part of AROS is probably adlready done?
What's there to wait for? Some seldom used APIs? Some more apps? Do you expect people interested in OSes to spend their days porting apps. Other interested parties will/should do that.

Right now, with the recent complete audit of the Amiga API, you can see exactly what is lacking. It is grunt work from now on in, and probably not particularly challenging for these core developers.

It therefore seems appropriate that the core devs would move to the next challenging step(which is better than leaving entirely). The big leap to a more modern AmigaOS-like system. Why should they be forever bound to an ancient API? How is that a reward for their enthusiasm and support? Supporting any programming effort, is never as much fun as creating a new one. AROS when complete, will, by definition, always lack modern OS features. Only a merging of Anubis and AROS can take it further.

AROS as an OS, isn't really going to improve much. Only new apps are needed. But for that to happen you need an OS that you can use every day to build a critical mass of users/devs. That looks like what they are trying to create, something more comfortable. The vast majority of AROS enthusiasts probably run AROS hosted anyway, so it's hard to imagine that the Anubis OS won't be used as a hosted environment. I can't see the devs kicking their own brainchild to the curb. This developement doesn't hurt AROS at all. It creates a logical separation between legacy and a more modern architecture. The missing AROS libs will be filled in sooner or later.

I really don't understand all the whining. Why do we need yet another OS? Well, point me to the other AmigaOS-like system, that is open source. You can't. So there you go. They're doing it because they can!!!

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 10-Nov-2008 at 11:07 AM.

serk118 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 15:44:49
#55 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
AROS are now working on a new "Amiga inspired" OS called Anubis:

if its a another unix/linux than im out of here no thanks.

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

Phantom 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 15:48:13
#56 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Quote:
if its a another unix/linux than im out of here no thanks.

Unfortunately it is...

Snuffy 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 15:57:40
#57 ]

@HenryCase

Why look at Anubis and AROS competing? They both aim to serve a slightly different section of the Amiga community. There are some former AROS devs coming back to work on Anubis, but that's not the same as saying AROS development will stop, because there are no signs of that.

That's the way I see it, MS Windows or a XWindows enviroment.

Troels 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 16:05:30
#58 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Good luck to the Anubis OS team.

Personally I don't really give a S##t about what kernel is used. System just have to be Amiga like to me as a user. If it isn't, I'm not interested.

Right now OS4 is good enough for me but if/when my XE breakes I will need new hardware and I would like something better than the SAM.
I would also like something portable, so Anubis might be interesting when I need new HW. Of course AmigaOS 4.x might be ported to other hardware by that time, we will see.

But doesn't Anubis OS seem like Gatesway idea, re-invented??

ne_one 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 17:33:51
#59 ]
Cult Member

@serk118

Based on a customized kernel, not a derivative of the entire operating system.

In the end, this will amount to another counter-productive religious argument.

Let's be real: investing resources in preserving compatibility with 15 year old software is ridiculous and failing to leverage the contributions of the vast Linux community is beyond comprehension. Add to that the fact that inexpensive, capable hardware is an ongoing concern and you have a recipe for disaster.

This should have been done long ago.

Manu 
Posted on 10-Nov-2008 19:56:47
#60 ]

They are not doing it because they want to make a "just-another-linux-distro"
I never thought of Anubis when I first heard of it in that way, because simply
that would make no sense !

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle