Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 144 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  48 secs ago
 RobertB:  6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  7 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  21 mins ago
 janelancy:  22 mins ago
 -Sam-:  31 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [Poll] Would you purchase an Amy Developer MB for $300-350 US /227 Euro?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Poll : Would you purchase an Amy Developer MB for $300-350 US /227 Euro?
Yes
No
Pancakes

PosterThread
TheDaddy 
Re: [Poll] Would you purchase an Amy Developer MB for $300-350 US /227 Euro?
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 12:29:29
#141 ]
Elite Member

@Geennaam

>>As long as you touch the housing before you touch the electronics then there shoulnd't be a problem. You then simply lift the ground of the complete PCB to your potential.

I didn't mean it in a static-danger way....I meant why not on a desk?

Either it's all true or this will come down as one of the biggest hoaxes in Amiga's history

Profile     Report this post  
DJBase 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 12:50:05
#142 ]

@Troika

Quote:

Troika wrote:
@DJBase

Quote:
I don't know...it sounds like a new vapor story to me. You should better come back when you have a working and running prototype with some pictures or videos.

sorry you feel this way.

This is one of our Software development and testing systems used in our development program. Please note the added a printout from the BBC news website today.

Ok, you have at least a reference board from Freescale but this is something that everyone can get and didn't proves any development of a new own board. Come back when you have a working prototype of your design running OS4 and I may change my mind.

RodTerl 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 14:07:00
#143 ]
Cult Member

Just a thought..

Given Microchip PICS these days are heading rapidly past 50 Mhz, 512k Flash, USB 2 and Ethernet SoC for a few pounds, and PCI-Express is a Serial point to point system, how much does it cost on a SoC to implement Express, or add an Express hub.?

More importantly, and to try and get people to think whats possible, how many PCI Express 1 lane Headers can be fitted into the space of a single PCI slot, and how much then for a Express to PCI adapter board, using a ribbon cable, to each of those Headers, so that slots dont take up uneeded room on the mobo?

Or, Modern Backplane design variation?

Just a thought. Stacking half height cards horizontally in low profile cases.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 14:34:49
#144 ]
Team Member

@Derfs

Quote:
i dont see what the big deal is. isnt the question "Would you purchase an Amy Developer MB for $300-350 US /227 Euro?". seems very simple to me, i dont know why so many are getting bent out of shape.

One obvious reason is that this may sway people considering SAM to hold off buying it in hopes this board instead comes. In that case it can hurt business needlessly for Acube and hurt the OS 4.x community by having fewer members.

Another obvious reason is that people don't like being lied to. And if people get a hint that that may be the case they have a right to be put off by that. Troika did not just pose the question, they made specific statements as facts in their poll post. They put the drawing of it in there, they spoke about work done since 2007. You'd make it sound like they are getting picked on because they simply asked one question and said nothing else.

Quote:
they post a schematic, people ask for more proof. they post pics of the dev board, people say that is not good enough. just going around in circles now..

Not really. A couple of folks have stated its not the same board as in post #1 and instead it appears to be an unmodified dev board from Freescale. Their believability factor is higher based on history so so far we've learned that this is most likely another piece of BS, especially in light of ChrisH mentioning in the past that they lied about sending a previous prototype to Hyperion. Now Troika can rebut of course, which I'm sure many of us would welcome. They can clear this up with showing us what they claim a bit more clearly.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 06-Feb-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Amiga 1200

billt 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 14:49:25
#145 ]
Elite Member

@webhead

Quote:
my ideas are suggestions, and i still want agp or pci-e ,and the use of plugin cpu,s is a good 1 as if you cant afford top spec you can go lower until you can afford the high just like pc,s do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modularity like that. Potentially more than you are. I cant' say more than that. I just think that using Mac PPC modules, while once a great idea, is too antiquated today. Granted, a new CPU module for us may have limited variation due to such small numbers of us to buy them, but I'd put whatever modern SOC CPU on a module of some kind anyway. I know what kindof module(s) I'd be choosing to use too. There's alrady two PowerPC implementations using it, though they aren't full to the defined feature set of that standard enough for my tastes, so they're no good. I enjoy imagining how I'd make one myself.

I don't have an idea of 2GHz minimum. My fantasy Amiga designs are more int he range of 1GHz to tops 1.4GHz. I'm not sure what clock speeds the IBM G5 has, but I'm not at all interested in those parts because of how many electrons they suck down. Too much, don't care how fast they are. I want something capable of running off a battery for a few hours without catching me on fire. PA Semi's G5 based chip would have been perfect in the 2GHz class. I look forward to learning more about AMCC's Titan core, which they claim will go up to 2GHz. I'd like to elarn more about Freescale's QorIQ as well. Sounds cool, but lacks Altivec. :(

I've posted somewhere, maybe amiga.org, my fantasy design around 8610 I'd choose the slower 1GHz versions due to price compared to the 1.2GHz ones. Hundreds of US$ difference to save that way based on avnet.com pricing of single units of just that one chip. Questionable if we'd get enough to make their smallest number units bulk pricing level.

I do think that seeing everything in the 500 to 700MHz range is rather low though.

billt 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 14:51:36
#146 ]
Elite Member

@webhead

Quote:
actualy you sound like you worked for commodore lol they sucked.

I completed high school in 1993... What could I have ever done for Commodore?

elcabron 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 14:52:51
#147 ]

This poll is a joke.

Everybody can show off a reference board made by others. Everybody can say that AmigaOS 4 would run on his hardware schematics. Everybody can build vaporware.

Sorry for roughness, but this looks like a pure hoax. Do we need to repeat ack's crap?

billt 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 14:54:18
#148 ]
Elite Member

@itix
Quote:
Would it be too obvious just to remove extra chips?

I musta said that part in the amiga.org thread on this. Yes, that should be the first consideration, and only remove routing if for some reason there's a problem with it being there but no chip to connect to.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 15:01:58
#149 ]
Team Member

@elcabron

Quote:

elcabron wrote:
Do we need to repeat ack's crap?

Well ACK seemingly had a need for attention. It would appear that it filled some void for the person running ACK. Could be the same thing here for Troika. Some people crave attention, even if its bad.

Amiga 1200

billt 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 15:06:46
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Geennaam

You could import and edit the germers, or find a gerber editor. :) I only have Eagle myself, and only the schematic part for now. I'd love to be able to import Orcad stuff, it's a pain to have to reinvent all those schematic symbols and footprints that chip vendors like to supply in Orcad format. But, alas, I don't have the kind of cash to get an Orcad/Allegro license. :/ I talked to them, and it was going to be minimum US$10000, they wanted me to get their 2-year subscription card license thing, I think a perpetual license was about US$15000 without all the performence package features for PCI-Express type signalling. I wish I was rich...

elcabron 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 15:14:57
#151 ]

@fairlanefastback

"sic transit gloria mundi"

I agree with you.

billt 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 15:40:01
#152 ]
Elite Member

@RodTerl

Quote:
More importantly, and to try and get people to think whats possible, how many PCI Express 1 lane Headers can be fitted into the space of a single PCI slot, and how much then for a Express to PCI adapter board, using a ribbon cable, to each of those Headers, so that slots dont take up uneeded room on the mobo?

First of all, EEEEEEWWWWW! on the ribbon cables to PCI-Express header. I don't think a ribbon cable would keep signal integrity intact at 2.5Gb/s signal speed. There is a spec for PCI_Express cabling, but you would need that special cabling.

And check this out:
http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpress/expressbox7/index.html
http://www.i4u.com/article8821.html

Make a host card that fits in a PCI slot, has a bridge to PCI-Express using a PEX8111/8112 or 8114 to connect the cabling to, and maybe we'd have that connected to our AmigaOne/SAM/whatever too. :) (No, this is not what I want to get for my A1XE)

bison 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 17:01:12
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Troika

Pancakes.

Now if the question had been, "Would you purchase a quad-core YDL Powerstation for $1250 if it ran OS4," my answer would be different.

number6 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 17:22:49
#154 ]
Elite Member

@thread

***Intermission***

Time for a brief cleanup on the disinformation front whilst everyone gets more popcorn and gummy bears.

@Yogi27

Quote:
This is just another pipe dream from the Amiga Inc. gang.

Again, as stated earlier, Troika is NOT ACK.

@CodeSmith

Quote:
And if this turns out to be just some Amiga Inc ploy to help their case (the timing of this announcement is... suspicious)

Again, Troika is NOT ACK. And if you're saying you understand that, but think Troika is Amiga Inc's "next" ACK, please think again.

@Jupp3

Quote:
Also I think it would be weird from them to grant them a license so that they could compete with their official hardware partner (ACK) and not announce it to the public in any way. Especially when the hardware is already publicly available for sale.

Also, as stated earlier...ACK is neither working FOR or WITH Amiga Inc.

@ChrisH

Quote:
BTW, do you think we have forgotten that you claimed to have given Hyperion a prototype board of Amy (or was Panda?) to port OS4 to, yet they confirmed to have never received such a board?

I suggest you reread those threads and pay closer attention to the exact wording and the message being conveyed.

Beyond that, people actually have to sleep, so don't expect immediate responses to all posts and don't assume there are no answers due to such a delay.

Thank you.

damocles 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 17:29:49
#155 ]

@Troika

Dunno, I think iWin did a better job of hyping vaporware. New poll question perhaps?

Rogue 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 17:31:05
#156 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@ChaosLord

Quote:
Can someone please give Rogue a YDL PowerStation?

Not again.

How many times do I have to point out that I do not influence what hardware AmigaOS is ported to.. If you want to make business proposal to Hyperion, go ahead and make one.

*edit: Actually, the word is "again"...

Last edited by Rogue on 06-Feb-2009 at 05:45 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 17:40:59
#157 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:
Troika is NOT ACK.

They don't need to be the same entity to both act in similar unprofessional ways though. So people drawing comparisons is not surprising at all IMHO.

Quote:
And if you're saying you understand that, but think Troika is Amiga Inc's "next" ACK, please think again.

Since many of us don't know who Troika is beyond a username on an internet forum I think its only natural, given prior Amiga, Inc. behavior, for some to suspect they may have had a hand in this oddly timed announcement. Unsubstantiated or not some are going to suspect it.

Also when these posters refer to the "Amiga, Inc. gang" they may just mean any companies they consider hoaxsters (based on their own personal opinions). Not necessarily that they work in full collaboration to hoax together.

Personally I'd like to hear more about the company. Does anyone know anything more about them or their workers to lend some credibility to them?

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 06-Feb-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 06-Feb-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 06-Feb-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Amiga 1200

retro 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 17:45:09
#158 ]

@Rogue

okey then
http://www.edimensional.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
pm me the address to the right pepole. then i will ship a pair off these...
who at the hyperion to contact ??...

i have a pair off these.
www.3dvisor.com
there are cool. 800*600 thogh but still. no 3d anyway... but i can use them on os 4.1 but agen with no 3d...

iff i got the finance or know how, i would have taking the interitiv to make a buy in deal an a bounty for driveres. but lets get the wise guy´s jugement on them..

iff you are intrasted i will give you a pair off these,. and i dont think you will need a licens from ether hyperion or amiga inc. to make a grown up boy happy...

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 18:08:04
#159 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

http://www.troikang.com/faq.html

Quote:
Our good friends at Hyperion...

I know you are not Hyperion, but you are a contractor for them. Troika is trying to give a presentation that they are associated with Hyperion. Is there any way you can ask Hyperion to clarify for us if this firm indeed has a shot to be a hardware producer for OS 4.x? It would be a shame letting stuff like this fester when Hyperion can simply chime in one way or the other. Bottom line is, if we were to find out if Hyperion takes them seriously, then we can.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 06-Feb-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Amiga 1200

Yo 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 18:24:18
#160 ]
Team Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Bottom line is, if we were to find out if Hyperion takes them seriously, then we can.

Dude!! Way to put the monkey on Hyperion's back! Epic!

(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle