Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 billt:  51 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  the secret project of Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 17:26:42
#141 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:

Oh and I also think Kronos is right.....that you should tell more to such a tiny community.

No thats not what I wrote (or meant). They should either tell factual&straightforward what they are up to OR keep it completly quiet.

As it stands now, everything they will release will be a disapointment compared to this hype.

Profile     Report this post  
Hondo 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 17:53:44
#142 ]

@Kronos

I dont think it will be a dissapointment, but I'm just tired of Rogues attitude. I can somewhat understand him when talking about the Kronos who litterly ####ed up and down the whole OS4 situation some time ago......but this time you're right and he should acknowledge this, and quit the nagging. As I see it you have become far more constructive recently, and thats great!

But Hyperion/Rogue cant use the naysayers as an excuse for not telling anything at all.....thats just too childish.

Wildstar128 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 17:57:06
#143 ]

@ those who commented that Amiga Inc. would try to stop all sales

That is not in the interest of either Amiga Inc. or Hyperion and Amiga Inc. would want Hyperion to continue developing. Amiga Inc. does not have any personal hatred of Hyperion but certainly have fustration and stress with the legal dispute matters. I expect the sentiment is the same on the other side of the court.

It is a legal dispute not a personal hatred and the people don't personally hate each other. Things maybe heated at times but not personal hatred.

@rogue & Hyperion PR guy: Keep up the great work with things and I sure hope Hyperion and Amiga Inc. resolve the legal issues to a mutual benefit. Maybe a little compromise from both sides so things are mutual. Finding that is a trick and part of the stress of any legal dispute. On the note of ideas and the secret project. Consider every idea submitted and I don't expect them all to go into this secret project but something to keep a mind about on AmigaOS and the future of it. PPC production does not seem to be as high as it has in the past. Hey, Apple is moving away from PPC slowly and to x86 hardware. The reason is not whether the chips technical feats but simply that x86 chips are less costly because of volume and hardware and chipset for x86 platform is less costly and in the end the performance is nearly as fast to faster then the PPC counterparts and at a lower price point.

PPC is losing desktop computing marketshare simply because vendors buying and using PPC and performance/price margin is leaning towards x86 and this is greatly due to success of Microsoft's Windows Operating Systems and the hw cloning since the 1980s with IBM started the IBM PC & clone wars which we still are in.

By locking down to one CPU ISA sets you into a limited market and also put you in increased risk of having a sw for out of production hardware and when the last PPC based device burns out and there is no more PPC cpu then what? This could be interpreted as an argument for x86 but I am not promoting it for the sake of porting to x86 but to keep minds open and consider portability of the OS over multiple hardware and not just x86.

It may not be today but it might be a reality tomorrow. Good luck with the project(s) at hand even if I don't know what it is.

Keep people's ideas in mind whether it be incorporated in a current project or in a future project development.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 18:08:31
#144 ]

@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:
The problem here is that Hyperion/Rogue just don't get it.......ALL WE WANT IS TO KNOW IF ITS AMIGA/OS4 RELATED......got damn!

They have staed that not anyone else outside the OS4 dev team knows what it is. So, it has to be something regarding OS4.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 18:10:44
#145 ]
Team Member

@jkirk

Quote:
i would think hyperion knows us well enough to know a little info can spur a lot of hype.

I agree with that. I don't agree with the characterization that they have been propogating a message over months to grow hype.

And I think they are making a mistake in how they are handling this, that my personal opinion anyway.

I think the folks who would buy whatever it is is not going to change much at all, no matter how much hype there is or not.

So I'm much more for the idea of community inclusion, where we are brought along more for the ride with more info.

Amiga 1200

itix 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 18:12:01
#146 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Maybe Steven Solie leaked something already.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 18:29:22
#147 ]
Team Member

@Wildstar128

Quote:
Amiga Inc. would want Hyperion to continue developing. Amiga Inc. does not have any personal hatred of Hyperion but certainly have fustration and stress with the legal dispute matters. I expect the sentiment is the same on the other side of the court.

Interesting. Why are you only able to guess at Hyperion's sentiment, but speak with direct statements as to Amiga Inc.'s position on this, when Amiga actually sought an injunction against Hyperion continuing to distribute during the case?

Quote:
Apple is moving away from PPC slowly and to x86 hardware.

What?? They moved off PPC rather quickly and did that years ago already.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Jul-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Amiga 1200

rigo 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 18:58:49
#148 ]
Cult Member

@itix

Reading the post in the link, it looks like ssolie is using multi-core support as an example.

I say this, because I know he is not party to any details of said "ambitious project".

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

Any comments are a personal opinion, and should be accepted as such.

Wildstar128 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 19:22:45
#149 ]

@fairlanefastback

Injunction is the only legal power to stop what was potentially is piracy until issues are resolved but in a long term strategy they want AmigaOS under production.

This maybe a measure lawyers suggested as a course of action needed in order to draw compliance on issue. The case dispute involves use of trademarks which Amiga Inc. holds and anyone that knows how to use the US Patents & Trademark office and also the copyright office would know and realize that Amiga Inc. has these rights registered and spent money to have registered.

Now the issue is complicated but it is in neither parties long-term interest to have AmigaOS cease production in any sense of the word permanent.

The point is, there is a dispute over breach of contract and stuff and ultimately Amiga Inc. and Hyperion folks neither wants to go through this but from a legal stand point Amiga Inc. felt under legal advice of the lawyers that they needed to address this through court/settlement proceedings. Hyperion has a differing view on the matter as normal as there is always at least one view per party involved in case. Both wants AmigaOS being produced and sold. Amiga Inc. doesn't want a breach of contract either so it is a rough deal going on but neither side personally hates anyone. It is a business matter not a personal matter and the only ones really taking it personal are the folks who are outside of Amiga Inc. and Hyperion. They both want this dispute resolved and courts are slow because it is A) a court involving parties that are from two different countries and B) The case is a low priority case in the court room and there is alot of paper work and documentations going on all the time so it is obviously stressful for both parties.

The court system almost always is an annoying and fustrating system to be involved in but the point involves concerns of legal contract and money and neither company wants to be screwed in the deal. You can't blame 'em.

This is why it is senseless for anyone to call either company evil or imply they are. Amiga wants their money and Hyperion wants theirs and if either feels that they are going to get screwed out of money in a business deal with a company they will sue and file injunctions to halt production of licensed software until issues are resolved. This is so if a piracy/copyright infringement case is building that no parties is compounding the infringement. It is up to interpretation but an injunction can be helpful to stop a violator (if proven and not speaking specifically about Amiga/Hyperion) from making the problem bigger because then each instance means a fine and royalties to be compensated for.

You see where the situation lies and it is not an easy case with Amiga/Hyperion.

The issues is about money & rights and whether or not a contract agreement was violated and to resolve them under legal proceedings with pure facts and findings. People themselves are frustrated (no doubt) but personally hate each other... doubtful.

That is my point. I read most of the legal proceeding docs available for read and neither people are at this personally attacking. I don't see Hyperion and Amiga folks holding personal hatred of each other. After the dust settles, things will probably iron out for both companies and it seems things are coming closer to a resolve so lets hope things works out.

steril606 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 19:25:02
#150 ]

Sometimes the Amigascene really reminds me of yellow press papers crossed with a bunch of crazy chickens.

Every small detail of whats going on gets analysed to death, and people take all of this serious like their life depends on it.

Let Hyperion do what they plan to do. Just wait. One day you will know what they wrote about on their homepage, and maybe you will like it or not, life will go on, I promise you.

Until then, play a round of Turrican or Port of Call, or whatever else pleases you...

Peace out...

Last edited by steril606 on 10-Jul-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Last edited by steril606 on 10-Jul-2009 at 07:26 PM.

itix 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 19:34:55
#151 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

How do you know that?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 19:35:27
#152 ]
Team Member

@Wildstar128

My simple point is you spoke about one side's intentions with authority and the other not, when it turns out you can not speak about either side's intention with authority. You are in actuality guessing at both, not just one.

Amiga 1200

Wildstar128 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 20:08:15
#153 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@Wildstar128

My simple point is you spoke about one side's intentions with authority and the other not, when it turns out you can not speak about either side's intention with authority. You are in actuality guessing at both, not just one.

Sorry, I wasn't intending it to that extent. From what I can see in the legal documents and publically, the case is a legal dispute and it is reasonable to assume based on whatever facts/findings that Amiga Inc. had at the time to decide to file an injunction but then there was a concern for copyright violation due to contract violation concerns. So it was probably a legal advise of the legal counsel of Amiga Inc. to file an injunction to halt AmigaOS production during the case.

This is an assumption but what I am safe to assume is both companies want's their fair cut of the money pie and not be screwed and resolve these matters and keep AmigaOS producing so there is money income.

OldFart 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 21:12:15
#154 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@steril606

Amen!

OldFart

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 21:12:45
#155 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
damocles wrote:
@gregthecanuck

Quote:
This really fits into my earlier thoughts on the QorIQ processors from Freescale.

Problem with going with QorIQ is OS4 is not SMP. Not really sure how the OS4 Devs can make OS4 SMP without breaking 3.1 API. Time will tell.

The QorIQ series starts with a low-end single-core model that is pin-compatible.

It would be nice if Hyperion got SMP support going at some point. To me this seems like an ideal processor series to get their feet wet on. The cost of entry appears to be low as well.

The "ambitious" part of OS4 (based on previous hints) appears to be most likely a big change to OS4 (SMP, memory protection) or a new platform support (i.e. QorIQ) or a combination of both.

Perhaps an opportunity has come up to partner with a platform vendor that requires a port of OS4. Who knows... we will find out in the next 6 months.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 21:17:20
#156 ]

@Wildstar128 + others involved
Could you keep offtopic talking of the court case out of this thread, thank you ?

@thread
Rogue is right. What he said has been the trend in amigaworld.net in past 5 years or more.

(Btw. Hype is common marketing nowadays to Intel, nvidia and ATI/AMD. (Saying it in short.))

I agree and second Gebrochen, HKvalhe and steril606 (posts #109, #111 and #150).

@thread
I have a new idea what it could be but I don't know if I'll tell it or not. But I agree with gregthecanuck also.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 10-Jul-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Last edited by Tomppeli on 10-Jul-2009 at 09:19 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 21:21:15
#157 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

uhm...

Multicore project is not ambitious? 64 bit?
You are a developer, right?

I'll try to ask you calmly

"SPILL THE BEAN!!!"

JK

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 10-Jul-2009 at 09:21 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 21:24:45
#158 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

What idea?
Quote:
I have a new idea what it could be but I don't know if I'll tell it or not.

It's a promise or a menace?

rigo 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 22:08:58
#159 ]
Cult Member

@itix

As I know who has that information, it's a simple matter of ellimination :P

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

Any comments are a personal opinion, and should be accepted as such.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 22:20:32
#160 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

Spill the bean, or i will send you the user with the "Renč Zelweger" avatar, and trust me: he have the barb

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle