Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  17 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 Seiya:  5 hrs 39 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 vox:  7 hrs 15 mins ago
 kolla:  8 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  the secret project of Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
OldFart 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 15:21:16
#221 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@serk118

But they already did din't you know? it has flash by the score, buckets full of office, customers on java, firefox is perfectly happy and they will surely sip from their port x86 or whisky vat69 or whatever pleases them most but it is stil a bit in beta stage but once released it will attract users by the score heck manufacturers will even install it ex factory now that will be a real boon! mark my words the name? working name has been leaked to be windows 7 they not only circumvented Amiga Incapable's much hyped System V eh sorry OS 5 but they even skipped a number to reach the all lucky figure of 7 and just like Austin 7 will be remembered fondly years after.

Furthermore: sigh

OldFart

Profile     Report this post  
Jupp3 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 15:39:36
#222 ]

@NovaCoder

Quote:
• Full OpenGL support (eg 3.1)

Are there any OpenGL 3.1 compatible graphics cards, that are compatible with any hardware buses available on any "amiga-alike" platforms (except AROS)?

(Well I think there are PCI models of some 3.0 compatible cards, short googling revealed that at least nvidia has some, and even with nvidia being a clear "no-go", I guess ATI might have some aswell)

terminills 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 16:56:36
#223 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Varthall

I Don't know I think I would consider it a pda with mass storage capabilities. Since you can write programs and store them on it.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Arko 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 16:58:10
#224 ]

@terminills

Quote:

terminills wrote:
everyone knows it's a port of os4.1 to a PDA ... like this one here

or Maybe it's a cell phone os here

AFAIK they where already paid to make a port to IBM's PDA reference platform.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

terminills 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 18:52:48
#225 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Arko

I hope it supports hardware acceleration. or at least pen refills :)

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Varthall 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 20:04:19
#226 ]

@terminills

Well, it can't execute programs by itself but it needs to be inserted in a mainframe. The only thing it can do by its own, without any help, is to be writable and to store what's been written, and it doesn't distinguish between datas and instructions.

Varthall

Fransexy 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 20:19:07
#227 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Quote:

serk118 wrote:
Quote:
Porting to ARM would be a very productive move, I think.

Well me not so sure about that but if they port os4.0 to x86 that will sort hardware problem
for good and we amiga community will grow and WILLGROW but if we stick to dead ppc than no x86 user will never sell x86 board and buy ppc try are lovely AmigaOS4.0 so best thing to get amiga os to run on x86 so people can install os4.0 to x86 and feel the real power of os4.0.

1.port amiga os 4.0 to x86

2.port firefox as browser.

3.java.

3.openoffice.

4.flash player

with them new user will feel home and wont be limited to this or that.
and they dont have to buy ppc sam or anything else if amiga gives what they want than thats what anyone want from an os and the hw.

when new user comes why would he/she have to run windoz to surf the net if amigans can have 1/2/3/4 than we would not need to use windoz or others at all..

Is ironic that you mention NOW a port to x86 when in the OS news review of AmigaOS 4.1 thomas said this:

Quote:
So, to get back to my original question: is the Amiga platform worth its hefty admission fee? It will completely depend on what kind of person you are. If you're a long-time Amiga user, or you have very fond memories of the platform, it's certainly a good investment and you won't be disappointed. However, are you a geek like myself, with a more general interest in operating systems and software, then it becomes really hard to justify spending all this money to get an operating system that is by no means modern, and which - it pains me to say - will be nothing more than a very expensive toy. Consequently, I have to add that if money is no issue for you, my point becomes moot. Now, what if we look at the sam440ep without taking the AmigaOS into account? After all, the lovely tiny board can run a whole lot more than just the Amiga, such as AROS, FreeBSD, and various Linux distributions. A single sam440ep (smaller than the flex variant) with a 667 Mhz cpu, 512 MB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon M9 64Mb and 5.1 audio onboard will set you back 558 EUR (incl. Taxes) which isn't all that much for such a PPC board. If you're building a power-efficient, passively cooled, and small system for running Linux or BSD, this is an excellent piece of kit, well worth its price

So for a non Amiga user he thinks is more worth its price the Sam itself than AmigaOS So if you port AmigaOS to x86 in the current status you have nothing worth for noone.This text writing by a non Amigan is the final probe that a port to x86 would be a complete disaster

Last edited by Fransexy on 16-Jul-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Al4 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 20:25:52
#228 ]

Porting OS4 to X86 would NOT be that sensible. A user would be faced with either Windows 7 or OS4, and would ask which has more software, and which has the useful software, ie office and internet (with Flash). OS4 would get laughed out of the arena. That could be why Hyperion are not going there any time soon.

Last edited by Al4 on 16-Jul-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Last edited by Al4 on 16-Jul-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Last edited by Al4 on 16-Jul-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Last edited by Al4 on 16-Jul-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Al4 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 21:29:27
#229 ]

Quote:
We remain convinced however that the PPC architecture is the most scaleable and least power hungry on the market and that an OS which specifically targets PowerPC instead of x86 with after thought ports to other architectures represents true value. Proof of the pudding will be in eating later this year.

The info is here. Something new regarding hardware for OS4 will happen later this year. Is this the ambitious project?

It's not going to be a port to intel. Therefore, probably ARM. PPC ain't going anywhere, and ARM is going to be in netbooks this year also. They haven't made significant money out of OS4 yet.

Last edited by Al4 on 16-Jul-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Crumb 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 21:41:53
#230 ]
Elite Member

@Al4

Quote:
Porting OS4 to X86 would NOT be that sensible. A user would be faced with either Windows 7 or OS4, and would ask which has more software, and which has the useful software, ie office and internet (with Flash). OS4 would get laughed out of the arena.

I wonder why some people think that those facts don't happen right now. Come on, we are not living in 1991 anymore, people usually have more computers in addition to Amigas and they actually know windows/linux/osx, users have not been living isolated from the world.

Your PPC amigas are in direct competition with x86 machines and the competition is much harder since you have to spend much more money than you would invest on a PC. And the value for money will be much worse than with a PC

People will get rid of AmigaOS4 machines more easily if you take into account that the toy computer will cost you twice than a normal an common multicore x86 peecee.

So forget that pathethic argument.

The only argument against x86 is that we would lose m680x0 compatibility and we would have to use UAE for 680x0 stuff not ported to OS4. The advantage is that all games and demos would work (even AGA/060 ones) at full speed (remember that x86 uae has a great JIT designed by Bernd Meyer)

They could even force the x86 port to work in big endian mode like Amithlon did, regardless of losing some speed (x86 cpus still would run rings around the ppc chips any amiga hardware producer may access... just take as an example the Sam440: a L2-cacheless 603e running at 666Mhz... and remember that dual core G5/2.8Ghz was released many years ago)

Last edited by Crumb on 16-Jul-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Last edited by Crumb on 16-Jul-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 21:46:15
#231 ]

Quote:

Porting OS4 to X86 would NOT be that sensible. A user would be faced with either Windows 7 or OS4, and would ask which has more software, and which has the useful software, ie office and internet (with Flash). OS4 would get laughed out of the arena. That could be why Hyperion are not going there any time soon.

Just like porting to PPC faced you with OSX, Linux which both have more software, are more stable, run an office suite, and so on...

Your argument is void. Linux on x86 also faces competition with Windows, and yet the x86 is where main Linux development is headed at: now please explain me why Linus didn't choose to release Linux on some obscure expensive, slow, not common hardware instead of x86 where he has been facing Windows since the beginning...

I'm really wondering...

No, the main problem is money. OS4 is closed source. Their main developers are supposed to be payed. The only way for that to happen is to sell it, and quite expensive. And the only way to make people buy it is to make it available on the less common hardware, where it has the less competition possible...

It has nothing to do with OS4 being successful or not. Again, and again, it's all about money... Making it available on (selected) x86 hardware would make it more successfull than it ever was...

Money is the only possible reason I see why it doesn't go to common, fast, open hardware.

Al4 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 21:53:54
#232 ]

@Crumb

But ARM hasn't been taken control of yet by any OS. ARM looks like it will sell somewhat. On ARM, when it comes out in netbooks this year, will be Ubuntu and Windows CE. Amiga OS 4 could much more easily gain users on ARM than on x86. It's about getting more people to use it. What other ARM devices exist? PDAs? Mobile phones? Hyperion said something about these things before. OS4, being fairly small in mb on hard-drive and RAM, would be a good fit for slower devices using ARM. Additionally, OS 4 with its (nice) Amiga menu setup takes up less of the screen than Windows CE or normal Ubuntu, a plus point on small gadgets.

Al4 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 21:58:13
#233 ]

@Leo

Quote:
Your argument is void. Linux on x86 also faces competition with Windows, and yet the x86 is where main Linux development is headed at: now please explain me why Linus didn't choose to release Linux on some obscure expensive, slow, not common hardware instead of x86 where he has been facing Windows since the beginning... I'm really wondering...

Linux has the advantage that it is free.

Al4 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 22:04:40
#234 ]

They said PPC is the most power efficient hardware on the market. Given their consideration for power efficiency, I doubt x86 will be their next port of call.

Al4 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 22:14:01
#235 ]

Amiga OS 4 on both PPC and ARM would compliment each other well. Two obscure platforms for a little fish to try to succeed. If you like it on your ARM netbook, maybe you will consider buying it as a PPC desktop option, too. The bottom line is that on x86 it would be out of its depth with Windows. Anyone reviewing it would say "on the one hand there is WIndows with hundreds of thousands of programs, and on the other hand is Amiga OS 4 with a few thousand programs. Better internet on WIndows, a whole office suite using the de facto standards on windows."

Amiga would get laughed at on x86 when compared against WIndows. It now is the only commercial OS on PPC, and on ARM, new territory, it can better try to get a userbase.

Last edited by Al4 on 16-Jul-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Al4 
Posted on 16-Jul-2009 22:38:16
#236 ]

Also, look at those previewed big icons. Big icons = little screen = ARM devices.

minator 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 1:07:39
#237 ]
Cult Member

@Al4

Quote:
Amiga OS 4 on both PPC and ARM would compliment each other well. Two obscure platforms for a little fish to try to succeed

Interesting definition of "obscure" ARM not only sells sells more than 10x the number of x86 processors sold per year, but overall revenue is also larger.

Quote:
Amiga would get laughed at on x86 when compared against WIndows.

Amiga would get laughed at full stop. The CPU is irrelevant.

Quote:
It now is the only commercial OS on PPC,

Wrong it' just one of
many.

Quote:
and on ARM, new territory, it can better try to get a userbase.

The ARM netbook market is open but you are going up against much better specce'd OSs that are free.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 6:36:11
#238 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Quote:
Well me not so sure about that but if they port os4.0 to x86 that will sort hardware problem... best thing to get amiga os to run on x86 so people can install os4.0 to x86 and feel the real power of os4.0.

What makes you think that porting OS4 to x86 [CPU architecture] would enable it to run on a common PC?

Let's look at a practical example. Just because OS4 is a PowerPC OS doesn't mean it runs on a PowerMac or a quad core 4GHz YDL Linux machine. And those are certainly more powerful than a Sam and A1 combined!

Now Apple may have "Compiled" OSX for x86, but in doing so they also made the stupid mistake of turning the Mac into a PC. Look at how quickly we saw all those OSX86 DVD image hacks, where you download a torrent and can burn a DVD the boots on a normal PC and can install MacOSX!

I also witnessed evidence the Mac had become a PC when I saw a MacIntel laptop with an OSX DVD stuck in the drive that couldn't boot. Unable to boot off the HD and with a stuck DVD in the drive, it reported back:

Non-bootable disk. Please insert a bootable disk and press any key

: !!!

I thought I was using PC Task!! The new Mac really is a rip off!

Mr_DBUG 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 10:10:07
#239 ]

@Hypex

But remember, people who are buying AmigaOS4 now, with hardware are pretty dedicated to the platform ... Why would these people suddenly start pirating and not buying when they knew that it would kill the little forward motion for Amiga that is left ? The worst case scenario is that Amiga possibly wouldnt gain as much users, due to a number of new users pirating, or then again would it ??

Varthall 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 11:00:18
#240 ]

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

Just like porting to PPC faced you with OSX, Linux which both have more software, are more stable, run an office suite, and so on...
successfull than it ever was...

Regarding OSX, on both Sam440 and the AmigaOne to run it you need to resort to emulation, so we are not comparing the OSes in the same league. About Linux, I don't know how's the situation on the Sam, but on the AmigaOne AFAIK there still isn't an AGPGART solution (at least until 2006), so no 3D acceleration exists under Linux, which rules out every program and game which needs accelerated 3D. OS4 is the OS that best supports the AmigaOne motherboards.

Varthall

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle