Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 90 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  19 mins ago
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 Vidar:  37 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  47 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  the secret project of Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
Smurfen 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion
Posted on 22-Jul-2009 22:51:03
#441 ]

@Leo

Quote:
What are the advantages of current AmigaOS over *any* mobile phone OS available today. Just give me one ;)

Percived responsiveness

Profile     Report this post  
TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 2:09:52
#442 ]

@BigD

Looks like game over then I know it doesnt work on all macs, you may just be unlucky, what model mac are you using anyway?

ne_one 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 4:22:20
#443 ]
Cult Member

@Smurfen

Quote:
Percived responsiveness

For users of technology that predates cell phones?

The market is already far too crowded with huge players.

Last edited by ne_one on 23-Jul-2009 at 04:34 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 7:22:15
#444 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:
Sorry, I kinda lost the thread here.

I only recently got back in. But there seem to be a few subthreads or subtopics amongst this suibject.

Quote:
Are we still complaining how useless it is to have an industry standard text mode BIOS with human readable command line (like U-Boot) or menus (like PC bios) or are we now on to complaining about the lack of sensibility in the fancy GUI-bootloaders on other platforms?

No, I'm talking about this Intel Mac (Airbook) that had a problem and wouldn't boot at all with an OSX DVD stuck in the DVD drive. It had white text on a black screen that looked like a 90's PC without a HD looking for a floppy.

Like PC-Task does without a HD and floppy but less text on screen.

Oh BTW, UBoot may be readable, but I'd debate whether it is human readable. And I certainly don't think it is a human useable command line! No history! Can't halt output! (AFAIK.) Needing a serial debug on another computer to get basic features. c'mon!

OldFart 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 7:46:36
#445 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Hypex

Quote:
Oh BTW, UBoot may be readable, but I'd debate whether it is human readable. And I certainly don't think it is a human useable command line! No history! Can't halt output! (AFAIK.) Needing a serial debug on another computer to get basic features. c'mon!

Another part of Hyperion's secret project maybe: upgrade (or replace) UBoot to (with) something more comprehensable?

OldFart

Frek 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 8:01:17
#446 ]

@Hypex

What is an "airbook" ? If you mean Macbook Air- well it doesn't have an optical drive at all.

The only possible case a mac would display white text on a blackscreen is if you boot with -v flag or the kernel crashes early on.

There is no support for it in EFI!

To get text output otherwise the BIOS emulator has to be loaded- and it will only do that if you insert a windows/linux dvd or something- or if some idiot tries to boot from a hackintosh dvd you probably see the chameleon loader which will seriously fail to boot on a real mac.

Leo 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 8:47:32
#447 ]

Quote:

Agree. But people here seem to believe there is a reason hardware players would be convinced by a new one... Compatible with nothing else, having no software at all for this kind of market, not running on the main processor here (ARM). I was wondering how they could convince them...

'Hi. What about AmigaOS running on your phone ? We could do it if you would partner with us ;)"

"Does it run on ARM ?" - "No, but we could port it. It took us 5 years to make it run on PPC: I'm sure we could do it in half now :) And it's responsive !"

"What about software ? Do you have a suite of software for xx, yy ? Does it run Symbyan, WinCE, Android, whatever apps ?" - "no, but we could write it. And it's responsive !"

"Do you have a GUI that is ready to be runned in 400x200px (or whatever) ? no, but we could adapt it. It it's responsive !"

"Does it run JAVA ? Flash ?" - "No, but we could port it. And it's responsive !"

"Do you have everything ready for multitouch ?" - "Not at all, but we could write it. And it's responsive !"

Last edited by Leo on 23-Jul-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Last edited by Leo on 23-Jul-2009 at 08:48 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 8:56:18
#448 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

well, the first one is a little silly. You wouldn't contact a phone manufacturer until you had at least ported to a phone architecture.

And we DO have a GUI that can be run at 320x240. AmigaOS already runs on one (and I mean one physical, as there's only one left in the world) PDA. I reassembled the damn hardware myself after Bill McEwen had dropped it in the ground.

But multitouch, software, java and flash are excellent points. The thing is, you can work on all those 4 in parallell with Hyperion doing the actual porting.

Not that I'm in favour of porting to ARM or think for one second that this is what Hyperion are doing, but I just wanted to say that the argument is a little flawed

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

abalaban 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 9:27:11
#449 ]

@olegil

No matter what you can say or what good argument you can bring, it seems Leo assigned himself the "mission" every time a guy says 'I like xxx in AmigaOS' to demonstrate this guy how wrong he's and how things are better on other systems so the guy should leave in peace AmigaOS and go on with one of those major systems... Leo does not want to hear that despite backwardness the system might show compared to other current systems some people might still appreciate to use it like that and are prepared to slowly catch up ten years of stagnation...

@Leo

Just one word : Dreams. Dreams are harmless and if only people would dream more than they fight or compete themselves the world would be more peaceful... But anyway I know it's useless to speak with you, you are only here to show us how wrong and retarded we are to still use and love AmigaOS systems and don't want to hear our arguments. Ah nevermind last time I sworn I would not answer you again, seems I failed to follow my own rules

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 9:58:28
#450 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
"Do you have a GUI that is ready to be runned in 400x200px (or whatever) ? no, but we could adapt it. It it's responsive !"

You raise all valid points, except this one.
I want to add (this is not directed to Leo but to all others asking for an Amiga-smartphone) that the prototype wasn't a phone but a PDA which is a quite different thing because you need to manage various types of things (data, voice etc.)

Quote:
What are the advantages of current AmigaOS over *any* mobile phone OS available today. Just give me one ;)

Superfrog!!

Fransexy 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 10:14:04
#451 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

Agree. But people here seem to believe there is a reason hardware players would be convinced by a new one... Compatible with nothing else, having no software at all for this kind of market, not running on the main processor here (ARM). I was wondering how they could convince them...

'Hi. What about AmigaOS running on your phone ? We could do it if you would partner with us ;)"

"Does it run on ARM ?" - "No, but we could port it. It took us 5 years to make it run on PPC: I'm sure we could do it in half now :) And it's responsive !"

"What about software ? Do you have a suite of software for xx, yy ? Does it run Symbyan, WinCE, Android, whatever apps ?" - "no, but we could write it. And it's responsive !"

"Does it run JAVA ? Flash ?" - "No, but we could port it. And it's responsive !"

"Do you have everything ready for multitouch ?" - "Not at all, but we could write it. And it's responsive !"

Do you know that even IphoneOS not had Flash until recently? not even cut and paste or video recording, hell it can not multitask!!!!!!! and it´s the most desired Phone out there.By your logic the Iphone should have bitten the dust and was not so your logic is WRONG and you are TROLLING

Manu 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 10:46:49
#452 ]

@Fransexy

None of the three amiga like OS'es, (OS4,MOS,AROS) have any chance in the phone market. They are at least 5-10 years too late to start catchup there. And please stop compare Apple and Amiga, Amiga is for hobbyists and just accept that already. Apple has all the funds in the world to do almost whatever they want.

Frek 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 10:52:31
#453 ]

@Fransexy

The iphone doesn't support multitasking for AppStore apps, that's true- but the system is both memory protected and multitasking- apple just don't allow official 3rd party developers to multitask- most likely due to ram constraints of the iphone 2g/3g. (average free ram is around 20-30 mb, without any additional apps loaded)

Flash is not supported- that's true.

Cut & Paste is supported; and been so since iPhoneOS 3.0

Video recording is only supported on the iPhone 3GS due to hardware limitations- there are third party apps for jailbroken devices to record video but really it's more of a slideshow than a smooth video, I don't see what video recording has to do with the OS though...

I agree with you however that the iPhone 2G/3G doesn't excel in all areas, however it has something no other cellphone has. a usable nice looking and consistent user interface; Symbian, Windows mobile etc just can't compare.

It's also a pleasure to develop for as it's very similar to regular MacOS X development; this attracts alot of developers.

---

And I agree with Manu, I really don't get why many amiga users have to show the world the system is the best ever.
If you're happy with it, use it. But it really can't compare to modern operatingsystems in either featureset or application base. and that's what matters in the real world.

For hobbist usage however it's excellent.

Last edited by Frek on 23-Jul-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Fransexy 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 10:58:07
#454 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

Quote:

Manu wrote:
@Fransexy

Apple has all the funds in the world to do almost whatever they want.

Like make an uncomplete Phone and convince all people that is the best phone ever?

Anonymous 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 10:59:06
# ]

@Fransexy

You're right, although the iPhone still doesn't do Flash or Java unfortunately. I'm with Leo in asking for the benefit of AmigaOS on phones over Android, iPhoneOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile or Palm WebOS.

Although a few of those have come from nowhere, I sense that the market's pretty saturated already. Amiga on mobiles was talked about probably nearly a decade ago, remember. PDAs were still in vogue when this was raised. You now have Android and Symbian as strong open-source options. Apple and Palm are doing their own thing and building communities of users and developers. And you still have Windows Mobile as an established commercial OEM option.

All of those already run on the devices intended, have the appropriate phone apps developed, have the user-interfaces developed, including the whizz-bang user-interface toolkits that look good on phones and appeal to developers. They've all evolved and been refined to various extents over the years. They all have iPhone-style app stores, so developers have 5 platforms to choose from.

Maybe this is from watching Dragon's Den on TV last night, but if I was a hardware company looking for an OS, what would you say when I say "why should we choose you?"

Chris

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 11:01:39
# ]

@Fransexy

That's because it IS the best phone ever!

What's incomplete about the iPhone as of iPhoneOS version 3.0?

Report this post  
Fransexy 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 11:06:58
#457 ]
Elite Member

@Frek

Quote:
Cut & Paste is supported; and been so since iPhoneOS 3.0

Video recording is only supported on the iPhone 3GS due to hardware limitations- there are third party apps for jailbroken devices to record video but really it's more of a slideshow than a smooth video, I don't see what video recording has to do with the OS though...

I agree with you however that the iPhone 2G/3G doesn't excel in all areas, however it has something no other cellphone has. a usable nice looking and consistent user interface; Symbian, Windows mobile etc just can't compare.

That is.Apple did a phone with incomplete features and was updating with the time.Why do you think that Hyperion could not do the same?
Perhaps you cannot convince a big player but a one of an emergent market (india, china, rusia) and it´s a start

Obviously if we all think that AmigaOS is only a hobby OS it will be forever.They need expand and a mobile market is more open than desktop market (iopen in the sense of open to new opportunities)

Sure AmigaOS need more things but they are not going to write themselves.And if it was simple to do, it would not be ambitious

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 11:12:33
#458 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Overhyped tosh! The Nokia N95/96 range have consistantly out performed the iPhone on all 'Gadget Show' tests on Channel 5 (UK)! It's only Apple's branding, and the aesthetic/status symbol appeal which shift the units. It's value as a gadget is over-rated!!

Fransexy 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 11:12:37
#459 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:

clebin wrote:
@Fransexy

That's because it IS the best phone ever!

What's incomplete about the iPhone as of iPhoneOS version 3.0?

But apple not relase the Iphone 3.0 the day one; it was released two years after.So it start with an incomplete phone, that was my point that even multimillion dollar companies need to start at one point.If AmigaOS never start it never can caught nothing

Arko 
Posted on 23-Jul-2009 11:12:41
#460 ]

@Manu

Quote:

Manu wrote:
@Fransexy

None of the three amiga like OS'es, (OS4,MOS,AROS) have any chance in the phone market. They are at least 5-10 years too late to start catchup there.

Not only because they are to late, there are a lot of competitors.

A company designing a phone could chose between commercial WinCE, Symbian and Androis if they want to use a not commercial version they can use OpenMoko, all this OS versions are ported for phones. If a company would like to have something else, they could use other Linux/BSD variants, port Zeta ore some other Open Source OSes ..

Only Amiga fans does believe Amiga like OSes would have any advantage over other existing and approved Oses.

AN d compared to Apple, if Steve Jobs intoduces iMix as new elektric mixer there would be hughe hype about it, free advertising on hundreds of WWW pages. Thousands of Mac fans would bought a overprced mixer bacause it is a Apple mixer.

Ámiga could not compete with Apple anyway.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle