Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 169 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  35 secs ago
 Rob:  13 mins ago
 kolla:  16 mins ago
 Karlos:  32 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  45 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Luc:  4 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  the secret project of Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
Leo 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 20:20:45
#61 ]

Quote:

The x86 is based on a 70ies 8 bit architecture that was outperformed by much cheaper and more simplified CPUs like the 6502. Intel implemented some clumsy expansions to it, because they needed an interim product with 16 Bit to compete with Zilogs8000 . IBM selects this CPU, because it could be a solution for a product no one wanted to be a success. and the expansions to 32Bit where half hearted, just enough to get something like linear addressing other CPUs had since years.

It sucks so much that it outperforms anything else...

Profile     Report this post  
Alkaron 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 20:49:50
#62 ]

A real wild and bad guess..

Think about it. Hyperion has contacted Natami crew (or the other way around). Natami team has actually fixed that hardware they talk about and OS4.0 is ported for Natami.. (68070)..

Who knows..

elatour 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:00:39
#63 ]
Cult Member

@-pekr-

Quote:

-pekr- wrote:
@Arko

CherryPal is out of business, no? Well, Hyperion should port to ARM or x86 - PPC is over ...

Well, I doubt Hyperion will do x86 given their loathing for the platform, but my bet is that they are working on an ARM port. I don't know how they'd get past the licensing issues with AInc., but this is the only logical move to keep their platform alive for the mid to long term and the only thing that might breath new life into an even remotely posible commercial future for AmigaOS 4.x, that is of course other than an open source route which AROS is likely to continue to push forward for a long time to come.

stevieu 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:09:36
#64 ]
Cult Member

@Hondo

Quote:
Rogue it's fine you wont tell what its about, but at the very least could you tell us if it has anything to do with OS4 or the Amiga brand??

Given that Rogue just said they are focusing on OS4, therein lies the answer to your question, I'd say.

Steve

Last edited by stevieu on 09-Jul-2009 at 10:11 PM.

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:13:02
#65 ]
Hyperion

@elatour

Hyperion does not have any "loathing" for the x86 platform which is used daily in development of AmigaOS 4.x.

We remain convinced however that the PPC architecture is the most scaleable and least power hungry on the market and that an OS which specifically targets PowerPC instead of x86 with after thought ports to other architectures represents true value.

Proof of the pudding will be in eating later this year.

OldFart 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:20:43
#66 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@All

From this topic in the QuickFix list, I think it has to be something rather involving:
* Fixed Sam440ep ethernet driver to work with hubs and Envoy.

A port to other architectures is fully out of the question given Hyperion's recently renewed stance on that matter. And personally I do not see any benefit in a move to an aging architecture, specifically not now Freescale seems to stir up its PPC business and POWER still being the most powerfull architecture by a wide margin and OS4 being the only PPC-specific OS around.

But then again: what do i know about this matter? And DOES it matter that I natter? Computers? Not my CoT.

OldFart

CodeSmith 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:26:04
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Well, that should put a few rumors to bed then. We've heard from Rogue that Hyperion is focused on OS4, and from HyperionMP (is that still Ben or someone else now?) that Hyperion believes strongly in PowerPC.

That means that it's very unlikely that the secret project is related to anything other than PPC OS4.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that it's either a port to new hardware, or some significant addition to OS4's internals... maybe they figured out a way to do full MP without breaking old programs, or made OS4 64 bit and/or multicore capable. Or maybe a combination of the above (eg a 64 bit version of OS4 running on PPC970, or a dual core version running on one of those high end SoCs)

Personally, I'd consider news that the lawsuit is finally over to be better than any technological leaps the OS4 team makes. It doesn't matter if OS4 can run on a quad-core 970 if Amiga Inc decides to stop all sales.

cha05e90 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:38:04
#68 ]

@OldFart

Quote:
From this topic in the QuickFix list, I think it has to be something rather involving:

This was the one I really waited for. Excellent! (Sadly I now have some other problems with that Fix...but as I am not the only one, i suppose the team works on these ...)

Hans 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:42:48
#69 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:

OldFart wrote:
@All

Kind of off topic, but has anyone ever seen or used Envoy? I remember seeing it advertised, but the price tag was too high, particularly considering that I consider network filesharing, etc., to be something that should be built in.

Hans

-Sam- 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:45:53
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hopefully along with some official announcement that Amiga is now all Hyperion's and the court case can be forgotten.

Yum!

OldFart 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 22:58:48
#71 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Hans

Quote:
...but has anyone ever seen or used Envoy?

Why would it (Envoy) get mentioned specifically when there was no noticable interest for it? That struck me. I don't know the specifics of Envoy well enough (read; not at all), to make properly funded assumptions here.

Anyways it an't take that much longer anymore; more then half the year has gone by already, so the answer to the nagging question is coming nearer by the day!

Can hardly hold my water anylonger...

OldFart

Darth_X 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 23:02:05
#72 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

How about Yogurt?

The problem with PPC is that we are limited to G4 class processors. Unless you have the money to work with [IBM or another company with POWER arch license] to build a G5 class SoC that is...

cha05e90 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 23:05:43
#73 ]

@Hans

I use Envoy 3 for some years now for connecting my 68k systems. I think it were originally developed by Commodore - the maintainer nowadays was/is Heinz Wrobel and he did an excellent job! It works like a charm, fast, reliable, very transparent and "Amiga"-like in it's best sense.

Indeed it wasn't cheap - but i were able to purchase it through ebay for somewhat around 20 Euros...

And now my Sam talks to my OS3.9 systems - perfect.

Hans 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 23:32:15
#74 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:

OldFart wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
...but has anyone ever seen or used Envoy?

Why would it (Envoy) get mentioned specifically when there was no noticable interest for it? That struck me. I don't know the specifics of Envoy well enough (read; not at all), to make properly funded assumptions here.

I was interested in Envoy, but the price tag and not having multiple Amigas meant that I never got it. The other machines that I have are/were all PCs. I always hoped that someone would extend Envoy so that it could share files with non-Amigas. Samba works, but is a real pain to set up and use. Plus Samba currently has a 2 GiB file limit.

Envoy being mentioned in the quickfix doesn't necessarily mean that it's part of whatever they're working on. It could be, but they may have fixed that bug based on a report from someone using the last available version of Envoy.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 09-Jul-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Al4 
Posted on 9-Jul-2009 23:56:55
#75 ]

@Rogue

Is it hardware or software related?

java?
flash?

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 0:50:03
#76 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:

We remain convinced however that the PPC architecture is the most scaleable and least power hungry on the market and that an OS which specifically targets PowerPC instead of x86 with after thought ports to other architectures represents true value.

This really fits into my earlier thoughts on the QorIQ processors from Freescale.

The 2020 model (1.2 GHz dual-core, etc...) is priced out at < $100 USD here: Arrow pricing

These chips have on-board USB 2.0 and Gig ethernet.

The only downside IMO is the small number of PCI-Express lanes. However, this is addressed by the monster 8-core P4080 (rated at 30W power consumption!) which looks to be vapourware for a while yet.

Last edited by gregthecanuck on 10-Jul-2009 at 12:51 AM.

petrol 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 2:21:39
#77 ]

@Hyperionmp

could you give us some info about partner(s) in this great project? Are Acube, Amiga,Inc or other one involved?

Petrol

logicalheart 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 3:32:52
#78 ]
Cult Member

Hurray! Pudding! I hope it is banana flavored.

QuBe 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 6:23:14
#79 ]

@Hondo

Quote:
Rogue it's fine you wont tell what its about, but at the very least could you tell us if it has anything to do with OS4 or the Amiga brand?? You cant treat us like this.....we hate this uncertain state of mind....been there for many many years, and are tired of it. We need just a tiny tiny bit of hope that its amiga related....so please is it OS4/amiga or something totally not OS4/amiga.??? That's the least you and hyperion could say without spilling any beans!

I have to say I do feel similarly frustrated... Whilst Hyperion have done wonders for the community over some very "stressful years"; it has been even worse for us... the one thing we all treasured (and still treasure to some degree) is our Amgia, its viability as a platform, its technology and its future...

...and again, to all intense and purposes, like Commodore, we just can't seem to get excited about anything anymore... secrecy just makes the wounds deeper...

Will I ever run the OS of my choice, as a modern, lite, scalable OS, fully supported with the latest internet technologies and running on really meaty hardware?

The long wait continues... I just rejoice at ANY news I can that diminishes M$... it is the only hope I have now... thanks to Google they really brightened up my day... and I am glad, very glad Firefox / Chrome and Safari have really began knocking the wind out of Internet Explorer... and equally happy that Ubuntu Linux (and others) continue to build momentum... these are all good signs that a "better" playing field is being formed for the future... hopefully AmigaOS will be there too, in the mix, strutting it stuff and being taken seriously by the world again...

Q!

"i am home"

Last edited by QuBe on 10-Jul-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Last edited by QuBe on 10-Jul-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 6:28:33
#80 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@elatour

Quote:
I doubt Hyperion will do x86 given their loathing for the platform

Let me tell you I actually like AMD's Ahlon64 X2 CPU's. Really do. Nice CPU. My precious...

Er... I digress.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle