Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 89 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  8 mins ago
 matthey:  24 mins ago
 amigakit:  38 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 1Mouse:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Allanon:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 Mr_Capehill:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  the secret project of Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
damocles 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 12:33:43
#701 ]

@TheMaskedMuchacho

Quote:
What you x86 supporters need to understand is that amiga os is just as dead on the desktop as PPC and to survive there needs to be a more viable market to sell to, you all seem to assume it would automatically sell millions of copies if ported to x86 or you expect hyperion to write off a huge investment in porting.

Easy around that, they could just sell copies of OS4-X86 labelled as "Beta" or "In Development" and not pay anyone for seven years or so years until they have enough money to pay devs? Guess that wouldn't work too well, now that I think about it.

Profile     Report this post  
Leo 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 12:52:11
#702 ]

Quote:

The first paragraph of my post was geared towards those who are NOT amigans. Those peaople will not buy a x86 machine that is not capable of recognising and make use of all the external devices they want to buy from their regular pc store. Or they will install Windows and work on it rather than spending their time strugling to find a device with exact specifications that will be ready for use.

Non-amigans won't buy anything. Be it on x86, or on PPC.

Going x86 won't magically make people buy OS4. Never said the contrary.

But (and that's my point), on x86 the hardware is fast, common, and most people (let's say 95%) already own one. If OS4 was an attractive and modern OS, it would be possible to make people try it, for 100e or whatever. A lot more easier than make people buy a 800 euro machine they can't even see/try and that's slow as hell.

The only way to expand is to go to x86. But going x86 doesn't mean people will magically buy it. But at least you may try to convince them.

You can't convince people to spend 800euro on a board to play with OS4...

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 13:12:20
#703 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:
You can't convince people to spend 800euro on a board to play with OS4...

Exactly, in fact no one here has ever actually tried to get me to buy a Sam!!?! I keep asking people to try and give me some positive reasons to shell out so much money, and the only response I get is "Because your an Amigan", as if 'Amigan' directly translates as, "someone with more money than sense"! Commodore's philosophy (under Tramiel anyway) was "Computers for the masses not the classes"! Oh how we have failed in this line of thinking!!!

I agree 'Hollywood' sounds great, but the very fact that the release of 'Lunar Lander' on OS4.1 gets top billing on AmigaWorld's webpage puts things into perfect clarity. This is a club for geeks who "like the feel" of the AmigaOS more than the wads of cash in their pocket!!! I think Mac hardware is expensive but next-gen Amiga stuff takes the biscuit!!!

What exactly are we trying to achieve here? Keeping the AmigaOS alive for its own end IS NOT ENOUGH! Is Hyperion going after any market at all other than RICH GEEKS? If not then I' not interested. I might have been labelled a geek a few times in my life, but rich I'm not!!!

Second hand MacBook (YES IT'S GOT AN INTEL INSIDE ) here I come. The iBook will remain for Classic Mac programs like Settlers 2 and web browsing under OSX Tiger, but sadly it seems it will never give me chance to use the buggy hobbiest OS known as OS4.1!!! I really hope Hyperion don't go to silicon heaven but sadly it is ever more likely as time passes!

@Hyperion

Please Hyperion don't port this OS to x86 as no one outside of this forum will buy it and you'll have to file for bankruptcy! Keep fighting for as long as you can with embedded PPC chips and well done for trying. You were beaten by events outside your control! Apple's switch to Intel was the final nail in the Amiga's coffin. It's quite apt that our closest rival dealt the death blow, but hey there's always the Retro scene and imagining what could have been. TO THE FUTURE!!

cha05e90 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 13:21:27
#704 ]

@BigD

Quote:
Is Hyperion going after any market at all other than RICH GEEKS?

Maybe. In your eyes I'm a "rich geek". So what? If there are enough "rich geeks" like me, it might pay the bills...

Quote:
but hey there's always the Retro scene and imagining what could have been. TO THE FUTURE!!

...this is meant ironically, isn't it?

QuBe 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 13:25:24
#705 ]

@BigD

That was a big post... couldn't have put it better myself... for the retro boy in me, it is either getting my A1200 working again, Minimig or Natami at the moment...

Q!

"i am home"

QuBe 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 13:30:42
#706 ]

@cha05e90

I don't think a few hundred (or thousand) "rich geeks" can keep a scene alive infinitely... let us be realistic and look at the long term... Amiga/Hyperion still need a comprehensive web strategy to be part of the overall OS; integrating necessary technologies "to make it happen"

Anyway, let us see what they have up their sleeves, we may be surprised yet. The past 20 years have been a good ride anyways for me, some tears and some laughter... can stay on the roller coaster for a few more years yet...

Q!

"i am home"

serk118 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 15:01:11
#707 ]
Cult Member

@BigD
Quote:
Please Hyperion don't port this OS to x86 as no one outside of this forum will buy it.

All real Amigans WILL BUY x86_AOS4`es because we are SO hungry for fast HW and we have been waaaiting for LONG time as an amigan we do deserve a FASTER HW NOW and run are beloved amigas on x86 pc`es and we dont want to wait any longer we have great coders in the community will help/port apps we need and we can use WINUAE to play around with old games or run old apps.

@ALL

Since we have put 1200 in a towers and i did see amigans spent lots of money to make them 1200`es more faster/graphics/speed/sound/addons from clock port/etc and i did see magic creation just on simple 68k amigas like DEMOS we coders done without real power like x86 has or even they always had that power we always wanted and now you PPC lovers why do you care too much about Hyperion porting Aos4 to x86 which they have not even said anything they will or not plus you as>>>> ppc dead hw owner you have AmigaOS4 for ppc so why do you care about having AmigaOS4 for x86?

Torrent Download?
well i can only talk for myself and no sir i will not use any torrent to download amigaOs4
because we had the pain for years & years & i realy want to see amiga up UP level UP
and i dont see llegally downloads from or within this community.

I personally will PAY even if its over 200e for OS4_x86.

I will not pay for ppc sam hw or other ppc HW to run AmigaOS 4 (stick to winuae till)
unless they come up with some kind of 2ghz or faaaaaster ppc hw

I will not code for ppc hw(only coding for 68k amigas for now).

i will leave this community just like others did back than and i still wont use windoz as OS
but will use linux86 if amiga become ppc only.
lets do a bit of maths here >1000-1(me)=999/5=ppc/68k/aros/mos/aros(199.8 each lol)

if ppc dead why try to dress up dead person???

@Hyperion
x86 is the only live market today and while we have a bit of community lets do it
Hyperion just PORT Your lovely work and are beloved AmigaOS to Sunlight and you never know till you do it because we dont have any other option or any company making HW for amiga so are best option forget HW side and select a x86 that we will suport than we work on Software side of everthing not HW .

Please do not port AmigaOS to PS3 or xbox or other game consoles because Amiga is not an a Game.

thank you

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

OldFart 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 15:19:22
#708 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@serk118

Quote:
if ppc dead why try to dress up dead person???

why dress up an old croon like x86??? Because she did so well in the past? Future lies AHEAD of all of us and future implies new ways when old ones get long in the tooth.

OS 4 should be ported to something entirely new like the Logically Enhanced GPU, abbreviated to LEG. Together with an ARM that is then exactly what it will cost: an ARM and a LEG! Now who's not willing to spare them?

OldFart

serk118 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 15:45:14
#709 ]
Cult Member

@OldFart

Quote:
OS 4 should be ported to something entirely new like

I`m in for that.......OldFart and if amigans want cheap cheap hw than x86 must be done...

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 15:45:29
#710 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Quote:
now you PPC lovers why do you care too much about Hyperion porting Aos4 to x86 which they have not even said anything they will or not plus you as>>>> ppc dead hw owner you have AmigaOS4 for ppc so why do you care about having AmigaOS4 for x86?

I would like resources diverted to porting to Mac PPC hardware ASAP. If Hyperion are to make ANY profit in the next 2-3 years off OS4.1 then they need to port it to something easy (i.e. another PPC platform) and something with a fair few users! x86 will sap resources and develpment time for years and will NOT yield the profits you presume. I don't own ANY x86 hardware and am not about to buy any, other than a second hand Core2Duo Mac which no doubt will NOT be supported by the Hyperion licence limitations/UBoot mechanism etc. Therefore we'll be in no better a situation for a much greater outlay from Hyperion! This would probably bankrupt them and they know it!!! Your plan spells game over!

P.S. Why do you need x86 hardware anyway? Does Lunar Lander benefit from x64 multi thread CPUs or Direct X version 10?

Last edited by BigD on 29-Jul-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 29-Jul-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Gleng 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 15:51:42
#711 ]

@BigD

Quote:
I would like resources diverted to porting to Mac PPC hardware ASAP.

Me too. My G4 Mac mini is still sitting here unused and waiting for Amiga OS/MorphOS.

serk118 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 15:59:49
#712 ]
Cult Member

@Gleng

Quote:
Me too. My G4 Mac mini is still sitting here unused and waiting for Amiga OS/MorphOS.

I can't understand why some people can be so selfish??
you want os4 for g4 mac mini Because you have a g4 mac?(lol)

i`m sorry but we as a small community will not grow with that kind of attitude.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 16:09:35
#713 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

You are the selfish one. Not all of us can
A) Afford expensive customised boards!
B) Afford the wait it would require to port this OS to x86

It would make far more sense for Amigans to trawl eBay for second hand PPC Macs (they'll be a lot now that Snow Leopard has been announced as to NOT support PPC), than to continue to buy into these limited edition embedded hardware projects Amiga companies are creating! ACube Sam hardware offers no advantages over 4 year old Mac PPC hardware, hence I'm not going to buy it for a premium! Call that selfish if you will, I call it common sense!

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 16:39:06
#714 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Quote:
x86 is the only live market today and while we have a bit of community lets do it

If that is so then why does the PowerPC still exist? Have they fully stopped manufacturing it? And now x86 is the only embedded CPU as well in the market place? I've been told it's running on a cars computer so that may be true.

Or do you mean only live for the desktop? Yes that would be true. But why would Hyperion care only about the desktop? And limit themselves to it? If they did then x86 would be the only choice but then why would they limit themselves to the last thousands left in the Amiga market place. Once they sell copies of OS4 that's it, nothing else to do.

Hyperion said they want to expand in other markets. Perhaps not good for us right now, but if OS4 can run on other PowerPC hardware, where it can expand it's market that will be better for Hyperion and the growth of OS4 overall.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 16:46:24
#715 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
I would like resources diverted to porting to Mac PPC hardware ASAP.

On that note I've got it! Hyperion is going to preempt us all with our talk of this PowerPC computer is better than that one and OS4 shoukd be ported too it.

They are going to port OS4 to the YDL PowerStation! She likes to multiply, are they gonna do it? OS4: The perfect match! 4 cores at 4Ghz will make OS4 destroy everything else!

Hahahah.

Gleng 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 16:59:31
#716 ]

@serk118

Quote:

I can't understand why some people can be so selfish??

Yes, wishing that Amiga OS was ported to a cheap, extremely widely available, (relatively) fast PPC computer is an unbelievably selfish act.

Quote:

you want os4 for g4 mac mini Because you have a g4 mac?(lol)

Um, yes. (lol?) Anyway, not just OS4. MorphOS is coming soon for the G4 mini apparently, so that will do the job.

Quote:

i`m sorry but we as a small community will not grow with that kind of attitude.

Yes, I'm sure that the community will grow like crazy if the OS is restricted to difficult to obtain, expensive, slow hardware.

Look, I respect the work of Hyperion and ACube, and I'm toying with the idea of buying a Sam later this year, but come on, how can porting Amiga OS to a widely available peice of hardware be bad for the community?

marko 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 18:33:44
#717 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@thread

This thread has gone mental, long time ago...

m4rko.com/AMIGA

Leo 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 19:29:12
#718 ]

Quote:

Or do you mean only live for the desktop? Yes that would be true. But why would Hyperion care only about the desktop?

Because it can't seriously run anywhere else ?

retro 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 19:43:09
#719 ]

@serk118

you can buy a sam then code in e-uae and then run it via jit in os 4.x thats how your futhur 680xx amiga is working.

hahahaha

i will ether replace my amiga before a more high-end boards shows up.until that i will continue using my amiga one. i am happy on other pepoles behaf that ther is a flex an upcomming radion 2400 gfx card
driver

Last edited by retro on 29-Jul-2009 at 07:43 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Jul-2009 19:43:45
#720 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@BigD

[quote]They are going to port OS4 to the YDL PowerStation! She likes to multiply, are they gonna do it? OS4: The perfect match! 4 cores at 4Ghz will make OS4 destroy everything else!

Hahahah.

If they did I buy it i hart beat, I don't care bout price this hobby and they cost allot.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle