Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  6 mins ago
 BigD:  48 mins ago
 OlafS25:  50 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  the secret project of Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
Leo 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 15:53:54
#961 ]

Quote:

Still don't know what we need 2ghz for

For anything... You want to play a DVD and have some background tasks ? Well, nowadays you can't, cause DVD is eating almost everything. Too bad you have to stop your background tasks on a... multitasking OS.

A lot of sites are also eating a lot of CPU. Again, I'm pretty sure you could handle one tab running at a time... Now what happens if your listening to some clip and have more tabs... Too bad this will come to the max your CPU can handle and you'll have to stop your video,.. and so on

That's without talking about big demanding apps, like games, 3D applications.
Of course, there are no 3D apps/games right now. But if you don't have a fast processor, there will *never* be any ;)

That's also without talking about audio/video encoding.

That's also without talking about reduced compilation times (which could be even more reduced by using multiple cores btw).

Should I go on ?

The faster the better, in *any* case: there's no need to argue. Saying it's not needed is a lame excuse for the fact we don't have anything faster right now...

By using this kind of thinking, we would still be running 68000@7Mhz apps: what's the use of 600Mhz after all ?

Last edited by Leo on 03-Aug-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
d0c 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 16:26:04
#962 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

yes you should go on, becouse there are alot of people here that are blind and need their eyes opened. we got new hw horray!! we got a new aos4 horray!!.... but then it stops, thing takes time but we dont get any younger, so to wait another 30 years to only get whats needed and standard in 2009 when the year is 2039 is no option for me, i give sam and hyperion 5 years, if they cant make a modern function os out of the beta stage of aos4 and a 2ghz or more hw then its goodbye... hobby or not dont help... this is serious..

cv643d 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 16:28:17
#963 ]

Someone should sneak in the dumpsters outside Hyperions office and find out if there are any brainstorming papers, notes and other stuff.

This is really, really exciting. We know they are working on something that will make true Amigans pee in their pants of excitement once we get to know it. It could potentially be anything hardcore Amigans have dreamt of, how exciting!

F"ck yeah.. Amiga rulez!

d0c 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 16:45:36
#964 ]
Cult Member

@cv643d

cha05e90 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 16:55:14
#965 ]

@d0c

Hmm...whatever it is, I am quite sure (but: of course I do not *know*) you and a lot of other people here on the thread will be disappointed. All this "faster 1THz hardware, make cool demanding apps with 4D singularity simulation, make Windows...eh...x86 ports and so on" babble here will lead to massive disappointment. And - to conclude - it is self fullfilling

BTW: Yeah, we're in the run to 1024 posts here...

Akiko 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 17:08:54
#966 ]
Cult Member

Well personaly hoping for the YDL Powerstation

It's good to dream!

CD32/ FMV Module

rigo 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 17:22:27
#967 ]
Cult Member

@Akiko

And you'd be quite happy to pay 1500 USD for it?

Simon

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

Any comments are a personal opinion, and should be accepted as such.

Hondo 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 17:55:02
#968 ]

@All

IT'S A NEW AMIGA!!!

pavlor 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 18:37:02
#969 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

Quote:
And you'd be quite happy to pay 1500 USD for it?

Why not? SAM costs 1000 USD. 970MP is more than 6 (!) times faster than 440EP in SAM and this machine (YDL) has 4 cores...

TheKorn 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 18:38:38
#970 ]

@rigo

Where does this $1500 come from? The price is $1125.

http://us.fixstars.com/store/index.php?submit=hardware&submitimg[hardware][powerstation]=1

Buy the time you purchase the Sam MB and all the fixings you are pretty near that price anyway. You get a lot more for your money with the PowerStation.

EDIT: I for one would be extremely happy to pay that amount if it were to run AOS4.x

Last edited by TheKorn on 03-Aug-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Last edited by TheKorn on 03-Aug-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Last edited by TheKorn on 03-Aug-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Last edited by TheKorn on 03-Aug-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Last edited by TheKorn on 03-Aug-2009 at 06:40 PM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 19:06:45
#971 ]

@d0c

Hmm...whatever it is, I am quite sure (but: of course I do not *know*) you and a lot of other people here on the thread will be disappointed. All this "faster 1THz hardware, make cool demanding apps with 4D singularity simulation, make Windows...eh...x86 ports and so on" babble here will lead to massive disappointment. And - to conclude - it is self fullfilling

BTW: Yeah, we're in the run to 1024 posts here...

serk118 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 19:08:09
#972 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
Hyperion HAS a road map, they are just not sharing it with us ATM.

Yea they have and sems like they can not sell anymore OS4`es but atleast they can make money from games for by porting some sdl games to os4.

Dvd - playback on Aros/WinUAE_x86_Emulated
-------------------------------------------------------------------
i have try`ed ffmpeg & mplayer on my winuae and it runs/plays movies without any slowdowns.

on my aros system it just plays without any slowdowns..

i dont have sam & wont buy one @ that speed and @ that price but mainly speed is toooo
slooow (no thanks)

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 19:08:16
#973 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

Would you like to run a Poll for this?

Foody 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 19:17:57
#974 ]

@Rogue

Is the secret project allowing AmigaOS 4.x system to have the power LED turn on/off depending on mono/stereo sound ability like the classic Amiga and the flashing power LED when the system crashes?

Oh I hope it is true...I hope it is true.....* crosses fingers together *

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 19:58:30
#975 ]

@Foody

Swoop 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 20:38:05
#976 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:
I'm not sure of your point exactly. You start off by saying that the problem is not hardware or OS but applications. This sort of contradicts what you say later, which is that hardware and OS are the key to the development of applications. You then say that you can't generate interest without applicaitons, presumably meaning that the developers don't arrive. You seem to be describing a catch-22 situation.

Chris

I actually mean you won't generate interest from the buying public without applications.
We have some very talented on the Amiga scene, I just think that efforts need to channeled towards writing applications, rather than feature requests.

OK re-reading my earlier post, maybe I'm not explaining myself very well, but most people in this thread are complaining about either the "underpowered" hardware, or "missing" features in the OS, and that if these failings are met then Amiga will again increase the user base.

What I am saying is that I think applications are more neccesary than anything else to increase user numbers. I could have the most powerful hardware, the most uptodate OS, but without useful applications Joe public is not going to buy it, or be remotley interested in it.

Applications have to written for what hardware/os combination is currently available, not as and when a certain OS feature, or a particular hardware spec is available. Crikey look at the speed of classic hardware compared to what we have now. Amiga programmers are renowned for getting the best out of classic hardware, lets do the same for available PPC hardware.

The world has moved on from the applications that the Amiga was famous for, and now has different application requirements. Photos, and home videos, are the main uses for most people, and the area where the Amiga is most lacking.

Most people don't care about the CPU, or the OS, they just want to run a particular application, and if that means dedicated hardware, they'll buy it.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Leo 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 20:50:00
#977 ]

Quote:

Amiga programmers are renowned for getting the best out of classic hardware, lets do the same for available PPC hardware.

The best of slow hardware remains... slow.

Hans 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 21:34:50
#978 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:

clebin wrote:
You complain that someone asks for costs/specs of hardware 2-3 years in the future, but it was you who raised the possibility of dual-core 2ghz CPUs in that timeframe.

Uh, no. He brought up the whole hardware in 2-3 years thing, so I gave him a possibility. Then he turns around and demands a price, which obviously cannot be given. I'm annoyed with the ridiculousness of it.

Replying to anything in the rest of your post would require me to repeat myself yet again, which I can't be bothered doing. Clearly you and most other people here are working on the assumption that you know what the situation is when you don't. I don't know exactly what the situation is either (i.e., what the secret project is, what hardware is coming), but I'm not pretending to be.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 03-Aug-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Last edited by Hans on 03-Aug-2009 at 09:35 PM.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 21:36:25
#979 ]

Quote:
Amiga programmers are renowned for getting the best out of classic hardware, lets do the same for available PPC hardware.

I used Amiga back when it was "Do more With More". We had hardware power unseen before and we had an OS/Rom system that gave "us" control. The OS was simple to maintain and allowed multitasking with ease. Are hardware was awesome.

Later, when other hardware started catching up it was "Do more With the same". DOS/Windows might have had equivalent hardware, but Amiga could always do it better. The OS just got out of you way so you could use the hardware to the max.

It wasn't until our hardware starting getting dated and Commodore went under that we became "Do more With Less". We didn't have much of a choice. The world was moving on, but we could still squeeze all the juice we could to get or Miggys to play MP3s or "get online".

It's always been fun seeing how much your Miggy can do, but the things we want to day require massive data processing. Data we use today is not an MP3 that we can split across two floppies. People are storing movies and video on their computers. Playing with video files is in the Gigabytes now. 30 minutes of DVD data is a Gigabyte. You want to convert Gigabytes of data to DivX, well, you need power.

There's nothing wrong with a lot of us wanting to live in the present and want to use our OS of choice. We have a right to express our opinions and hope when enough voices come together repeatedly some one will here us.

Do more With more is what some of want and there is nothing wrong with that. That is the A1000 way.

Does anyone here remember when Amiga was "the best hardware" and "the best OS" ? Why are so many afraid of having powerful hardware?

Hans 
Posted on 3-Aug-2009 21:40:48
#980 ]
Elite Member

@-pekr-

Quote:

-pekr- wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

No, it cannot. Only part of the kernel can be portable over all CPUs. There's always a part that is specific to the particular processor. That's why the kernel has a hardware abstraction layer.

I think You are replying to different question. Should we care about low-level details? Just answer please in general - could OS be ported to different CPU in 2-3 year timeframe? Yes or no? I think - yes, it could.

No, I'm not answering a different question. He was getting into specifics, so I answered about specifics.

Quote:
Look, ppl are not dumb, right? We know, that we can choose between 2 plans:

1) short term - improve the OS, try to find new niche, support existing userbase, let it grow a bit with new oportunities you try to identify during that time. Define long term plan upon how situation evolves.

2) long term - stop depending upon mostly 1 HW developer!!!! This is the curse of the Amiga platform since the days of Commodore went bancrupt. Choose a port - ARM or x86, because then you will make your OS accessible to much wider audience. This kind of aproach however means, that you have to have money to finance the porting period.

Show me the money for the port that will cover the 2-3 years that keeps on being brought up!

Quote:

I think that what Wildstar is trying to say here is, that new devs will come back to platform, he is talking imo about volunteer/community job. You know, once ppl can see the light at the end of the tunnel, they will join. But - with whatever one-man-HW-guy show, there is no such light, just a big risk, that if such a company goes under, you are once again stuck with no HW option for your OS

You still need money to make the port happen. Where is it? Those other developers won't come until there is a platform to develop for.

Quote:

... and I think you are reading a bit too much into what he said. I see no insults in Wildstar's arguments. I am sure he does not think OS4 devs are stupid, lazy, anything like that. OTOH it is absolutly OK to have different point of view to the matter of porting-or-not topic ...

He's implying that we're just complaining and need to work harder. Saying that to someone who is already working hard is just an insult, regardless of what the intentions were.

Hans

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle