Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
5616 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

(Uses JAVA Applet and Port 1024)
Visit the Chatroom Website

Who's Online
 46 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.



You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 TRIPOS:  15 mins ago
 A1200:  23 mins ago
 Rob:  24 mins ago
 Daedalus:  43 mins ago
 Trekiej:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 Sir_RUSH:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 eliyahu:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 DustyA1200:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Fransexy:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Beans:  1 hr 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga.com down?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 18:28:55
#341 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 10-Jul-2005
Posts: 8415
From: Unknown

@ikir

Quote:
Im a IT tech guy and i must work against Windows every week. Same thing: if you are lucky it doesn't mean Windows is usually stable. Anyway it is embarassing for standards support, software included, usability and much more things.


I can speak only from user´s point of view: Vista is not bad OS, it is (for me) even more stable than XP (that was stable).

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
clusteruk 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 19:40:33
#342 ]
Super Member
Joined: 20-Nov-2008
Posts: 1405
From: Marston Moretaine, England

@pavlor

Have you been sniffing glue

Vista was the biggest piece of system hogging rubbish that Microsoft ever released.

Windows 7 is actually the only successor to WinXP, even though I know it is probably Vista SP2 with a face lift and a serious clear out.

I personally think Windows 7 is as good as anything out there now and I say that as a .Net developer.

_________________
Amiga 1000, 3000D Toaster, Amiga 2000 beast, Aros Nvidia PC, and an Aros powered Rasberry Pi owner and user.
http://www.vrexperience.net

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 20:19:10
#343 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 10-Jul-2005
Posts: 8415
From: Unknown

@clusteruk

Vista on my computer is at least 100000x times more stable than AROS...

I use Vista on this computer more than 2 years without ANY problem.


Quote:
Vista was the biggest piece of system hogging rubbish that Microsoft ever released.


Have you ever used Windows ME?

Last edited by pavlor on 13-Feb-2010 at 08:22 PM.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
eXec 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 20:27:48
#344 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 21-Jun-2004
Posts: 954
From: Burkina Faso

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@clusteruk

Vista on my computer is at least 100000x times more stable than AROS...

I use Vista on this computer more than 2 years without ANY problem.



Then, what is the mostly used option on your computer....restart and shut down? ;)

hahah

_________________
____
...administration is for serious people only....

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Leo 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 20:42:51
#345 ]
Super Member
Joined: 21-Aug-2003
Posts: 1552
From: Unknown

Quote:

Windows stablity sucks, usabilty is even wrost, structure and included softwares are pathetic.

As bad as it is, it is *years* ahead of AmigaOS (NG or not)... both in terms of usability and stability.

As much as I like AmigaOS, I have to admit I wouldn't rely on its stability... I still have the reflex to move the mouse to be sure it's not crashed... I don't do that on XP, simply because it doesn't crash.

Any application can bring AmigaOS down, any. Unless you have a bad driver (ie: some kernel mode code), there's no way to bring XP¨down. Much like there's no reason a modern Unix (be it Darwin/MacOSX, or Linux) would go down.

As for the usability, I surely wouldn't give an AmigaOS to my mom... I wouldn't mind giving her XP or MacOS though.

And that's a user's point of view: I'm not even talking about development, where you do bad things without wanting to...

The difference between AmigaOS and any modern OS (be it WinNT/Linux), it's that on AmigaOS the user has to be careful not to run a bad written application...

_________________
http://www.warpdesign.fr/
http://www.warpdesign.fr/blog

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
linnar 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 21:10:44
#346 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 26-Dec-2005
Posts: 923
From: Unknown

@ikir

Quote:

ikir wrote:
@pavlor

No it sucks, for most things even now Im a IT tech guy and i must work against Windows every week. Same thing: if you are lucky it doesn't mean Windows is usually stable. Anyway it is embarassing for standards support, software included, usability and much more things.

I have worked with:
Vic20
Commodore 64
Amiga 500 with hd
Windows
Linux
Mac

The absolute best operating system is Windows. It has EVERYTHING! If it was as bad as you say would not have so many use it.

Linux is best for those who like to keep on with the operating system. There is no need for other software. It Åste also have two lifetimes available

Mac is as much fun as a stone with the world's most messy menus. An evening with the Mac and have had their dose of sleeping medicine.

Vic20 was a great time.

Commodore 64 was better than the Vic20.

Amiga 500 with hd and WB2, 05 was faster than my first PC with Win3.1. It was only with WinXP that Windows was better.
Amiga was and is the funniest and nicest OS I've worked with.

I also complain that Windows sometimes. But for most people and businesses is the best Windows.

I would not get OT because I stop writing about Windows here.

Last edited by linnar on 13-Feb-2010 at 09:25 PM.

_________________
There are very interesting in all languages.
http://www.kensonpro.com
Program, codes for websites, hifi, measuring instruments and more. The site is of more than 1200 pages and nearly 3Gb .

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
linnar 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 21:18:31
#347 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 26-Dec-2005
Posts: 923
From: Unknown

@TheKorn

Quote:

TheKorn wrote:
@all

If you have Windows 7 avoid update (KB-971033).

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000681.html

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1591757/windows-activation-update-won-hit-china

My Windows computer does not work worse by the fact that there are people who complain.

Last edited by linnar on 13-Feb-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 13-Feb-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 13-Feb-2010 at 09:19 PM.

_________________
There are very interesting in all languages.
http://www.kensonpro.com
Program, codes for websites, hifi, measuring instruments and more. The site is of more than 1200 pages and nearly 3Gb .

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 21:32:13
#348 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 10-Jul-2005
Posts: 8415
From: Unknown

@eXec

Quote:
Then, what is the mostly used option on your computer....restart and shut down? ;)


It is computer of my brother (I have only A1200, A500 and 486SX notebook). I (or my brother) must restart it only in case of update or when I want to play any game installed on other OS (Vista 64 bit, why two OSs? Why not...). This computer is turned on usually 12 hours/day every weekend (my brother is computer addict...).

I think we both stay off topic... (this thread is about unavaiability of amiga.com, not about superiority/inferiority of some OS...)

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 21:34:15
#349 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 10-Jul-2005
Posts: 8415
From: Unknown

@Leo

Quote:
The difference between AmigaOS and any modern OS (be it WinNT/Linux), it's that on AmigaOS the user has to be careful not to run a bad written application...


Exactly. However, when you know what you use, then AmigaOS can be very stable (I use often OS 3.9 for several hours without need to restart).

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
wajdy 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 21:42:16
#350 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 27-Oct-2006
Posts: 175
From: Amigania

While it is unethical to bash Amiga.inc because they are not present to defend themselves, but it is also shame to spread this negativity about AmigaOS being unstable, unreliable or ancient!

Did Amiga.inc every try to modernize AmigaOS to compete with Windowz?
Their best attempt was to develop something called AmigaDE hosted on Windowz.

Waj

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
TheKorn 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 22:43:46
#351 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 15-Oct-2008
Posts: 168
From: Washington State

@linnar

I am not complaining about anything. Simply warning those who wish to have full and uninterupted use of there operating system.

_________________
Amiga 4000 3.9 / Pegasos II 4.1 F.E.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
stone 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 23:31:38
#352 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 25-Aug-2004
Posts: 102
From: Copenhagen, Denmark

@linnar

Quote:

The absolute best operating system is Windows. It has EVERYTHING! If it was as bad as you say would not have so many use it.


rather consistently for all posts is that your arguments are lacking - as in not being there at all and only being unsupported claims.

eat sh!t - 10 billion flies cant be wrong. right?

just because a lot of people use something, or you say something, doesnt make it right

/stone

Last edited by stone on 13-Feb-2010 at 11:32 PM.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
linnar 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 1:17:36
#353 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 26-Dec-2005
Posts: 923
From: Unknown

@stone

Quote:

stone wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

The absolute best operating system is Windows. It has EVERYTHING! If it was as bad as you say would not have so many use it.


rather consistently for all posts is that your arguments are lacking - as in not being there at all and only being unsupported claims.

eat sh!t - 10 billion flies cant be wrong. right?

just because a lot of people use something, or you say something, doesnt make it right
/stone


I've tested most of the computers and most os that exist and have existed.
For ordinary users as the Windows versions clearly the best. When you install the operating system so there is almost always all the drivers for all hardware included in the package. Plug and play fix the rest. When the computer restarts, so the most updated online shortly after. then you only need to work, everything is moving fine and stable year after year. My previous computer with WinXP crashed never to 7 years. There are lots of software for Windows, both free and paid versions.

There are bad things också.Windows are large systems that take up much space. Footprint of the operation is also very large. You can not move Windows from one computer anyway.

Most fun and most intimate, it is to work with Amigas different operating systems.
Mac works well but it is saddest of all.
Linux is for people with a lot of time and like to fiddle the system.

_________________
There are very interesting in all languages.
http://www.kensonpro.com
Program, codes for websites, hifi, measuring instruments and more. The site is of more than 1200 pages and nearly 3Gb .

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Inquisitor 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 12:48:12
#354 ]
New Member
Joined: 13-Feb-2010
Posts: 4
From: Unknown

@Chuckt

What insightful posts about accounting, marriage, con men and life in general! Hats off!


@wajdy

> While it is unethical to bash Amiga.inc because they are not present to defend themselves

Why? Amigaworld.net, like all other Amiga sites and forums, is a free site. Free as in free to be present and read, and free to be present and post.

Amiga, or Bill McEwen, would be most welcome to join, IMHO. If Asseco Prokom posts on Moo Bunny, why should anyone from Amiga not post on Amigaworld.net? If they don't post and join the community debate, it is their choice. If for some reason they wish to not do so as a company, their officers and supporters can. And I presume they do


@linnar

> The reason for this snowman and all other mobile phone applications
> have been on the website is to withdraw money so they can get this
> particular Amiga soft / hardware. Nothing wrong with that.

How do you know? What if there was another reason?

Do you know how much money 87 million dollars is?

You spoke about Amiga Documents being biased, hinting at a mathematical/statistical/historical perspective, and I liked that. Let's try to keep it rational and proportioned.

Do you really think that a company that has been valued 87 million dollars by the likes of Asseco Prokom needs to sell online an app like Snowman?

Wouldn't it be more likely that apps like Snowman and the Tip Calculator were there just to claim that Amiga was using the trademark in commerce (for USPTO.gov purposes). This is a technicality, but it's more important than the $100 or so they may have made in sales (my guess).

Apart from the value itself, which I would argue is by an order of magnitude too large even if this Amiga OS had been for real (competing with Java, Linux, AROS, etc.), it's 87 million dollars for something that did not exist (Amiga Delaware did neither develop nor have a license for Amiga DE/Tao, as stated by Asseco Prokom).

This is what the alleged fraud is about. It's an $87M problem (or $20M two years before that). It's not about bashing Mr. Bill McEwen.

And we could go on and talk about coupon scams, backdated contracts, unpaid employees, other contract workers who could not even sue because they were working without a proper visa, etc.

If, by merely reading posts at amigaworld.net, amiga.org, and so on, I have reasons to believe that there's an 87 million dollar fraud, I put my papers together and report to authorities.

And you, what do people like you do?

Had there been a more analytical and critical approach, rather than a "fanboy" one (how Bill McEwen referenced the community in an email), we might have a better company, community and real products now. That is what freedom of information and press are good for. They help improve society.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
SHADES 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 12:49:26
#355 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 13-Nov-2003
Posts: 610
From: Melbourne

@Chuckt

Quote:

Chuckt wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:

SHADES wrote:
I for one personally see all this closure stuff as A BAD THING even for Hyperion who make the AMIGA OS. Why? Well, anyone looking at or for AMIGA is going to see another damaged and unreliable product. Hyperion are making that product, screams to the world, AMIGA is going down like the Titanic and wow, Hyperion just so happens to be making the OS.... It's not rocket science to figure out what people will think, heck just look at all the garbage spread here in debate! 1+1 doesn't equal a window if you have any type of logical brain.

This is stupid, I am wasting my time here lol


Con artists usually involve other people in a way that other people can't always extricate themselves from the trouble that con artists cause them.

Correlation doesn't prove causation. Just because Amiga Inc. chose Hyperion doesn't mean anything. Hyperion should get the credit and the public for Amiga Inc. shouldn't try to take credit for someone else's product.



love in a marriage looks like? Real love means that each partner is going to do everything possible to make the marriage work. The alleged shell game between Amiga partners looks like divorce and if they were doing everything possible to bring us a product then where are the goods? If you look around the net, there are different people building their own single board computer yet there is nothing new with Amiga Inc. I tell people, if someone loves you and if someone really loves you they will do almost anything and I mean anything. When there are games involved and when people don't live up to their commitments then I question that love because someone is just stroking me to get something instead of giving me love.




I fail to see any correlation between love and marriage and this discussion.

So I must ask why are you trying to correlate causation in the first place? I thought it was a joke to use it as example to begin with!

I don't care and neither would you if you didn't know who was making the OS for AMIGA when it was discussed all those YEARS ago, WHO AMIGA hired to make the OS.
Heck, it could be frikken Mr Juicy for all it matters!, just as long as the team making it are clever, bright and make a great product! AMIGA did what they thought was best at the time, what matters is the product delivered. Period.

Do I know about love and marriage?? lol
Just for fun, if you are going to try stipulate the meaning for some grasp at how a relationship in business works, I'm afraid this is going to look stupid. None the less, Ill start with some irrelevant statistics for actual love and marriage in the western world. Totally unrelated to what is actually going to be debated here, but a nice diversion to make me look oh so clever in tying it back to a pointless debate because it doesn't matter what you feel here, the rest of the world won't google anything any more as the page can't be found and they will end up here where the company trying to re-launch it's name gets bagged every second. Yay.


I understand that 82% of the time, the two (love and marriage) are mutually exclusive, statisticaly speaking :) Lets start there.

$M even makes it's in-house departments bid against each other. Want call that love, cause they are CLEARLY the winners here.
They didn't need to divorce or settle with anyone, they just closed them or payed them out. They don't care if you bag them daily cause they own the majority and they say it works better their way. Statistcally speaking, they must be right!
If you want to look at survival and all that other stuff you hold so dearly and claim to be pushing here, love has very, very little to do with it.
$M don't just survive, they dominate the market. So does $M Really, truly love someone? Sure they do, and if they don't get any love back, it's "go to your room! now!" or worse ;)

I'm not saying AMIGA INc didn't do wrong, sure they made some lousy decisions.
Want to put it in comparison with $M and their lousy decisions, oh, hang on a minute, they don't care because they are GOD in the OS marketplace and what they say goes. Don't like it, to frikken bad. let's see how you do getting your point across for any development changes in their forums.
AMIGA INC also made some wise choices. If they had not, you wouldn't even have your precious and loved OS4.
Lets see how you feel after being stroked by $M some more, when they make you use Bing instead of everybody hates google time and include the most popular browser in the world in their OS and cram it down your neck.
Want to play a game? well then laddy, get you gumboots on and drop those trousers cause Direct X is coming and it's 3x mummy and daddy time. That's right, they dictate the market on graphics HW too. Bigger HDD, faster MEM, well yes sir! $M demands it. It's so inefficient at what it does, it mandates computers will get faster to do the same things they did yesterday, but they wiggle a bit more.
Want to know why Internet Explorer the most popular browser in the world? Because most of the world uses Windows and it comes with it. That's right folks, most humans who use a computer, use Windows. Now that's a problem for me, but too bad, I have to suck it up and run WinUAE for a bit of fun now. Maybe $M secretly buried AMIGA for good this time... omg....did I just inject a hint of conspiracy in to my discussion for fun, or was their actual merit. Brilliant lol

You talk about love when it's mum and dad who don't have all that much but try, mistakes and all to give you something, but you push it back saying "I don't like peas"
This whole debate is crap. I have wasted another 10 mins typing on something I find so stupid and pointless but I got roped in to by trying to make me seem silly without any real solid evidence and just speculate and word twist.
Ill spell it out. No closure on AMIGA ground is welcome in this age. It's the AMIGA brand you nuff nuffs. Crappy website and all, it's what we had. They hired Hyperion, they put this road on the map. They made some crap deciaions and some not so crap ones, but it's all we had as an AMIGA community.
One thing out of all this is for sure, AMIGA the company if it survives will need lots of your perceived "love", mistakes and all if it is going to ever get off the ground.
It will need it for free and not gripe over a failed, stupidly made in good merritt, T-Shirt deals and anything else it tries to do to stand up against giants with bigger loves than it has in the OS world.
....love
lol

_________________
It's not the question that's the problem, it's the problem that's the question.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
SHADES 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 12:54:26
#356 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 13-Nov-2003
Posts: 610
From: Melbourne

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
@SHADES
I qoutar not your post, it becomes too much

I'm not so good at English so I do not understand all of your expression.

Microsoft Windows is a great operating system. I ran WinXP from 2003 to 2010. Not a single Blue Screen of Death or something else wrong, I had over 7 years. It will take a long time for Hyperion to reach the levels of MS Windows on nearly all points. So is there and is nothing to discuss about.
Bil Gates is a very generous person. He donates more money to the U countries than many developed industrial countries. All credit to him. The people in the United States must be very proud to have him as a citizen.

A tip for you: Scrub your way to express yourself, it serves you in!


Gates gives so much because he has the most $$$ in the world.
Ever think about this?? IF AMIGA had as much money as Gates has, not Microsoft, just Gates, would they also be donating around the globe?
I can't stand Windows. I think it's a pile, but it's what we consumers have and if you want to do anything remotely properly supported, this is what you will use.

A quote for you.
"Don't bite the hand that feeds you."
AMIGA gave you OS4, not Gates.
AMIGA gave you Hyperion, not Gates.
As unfortunate the turn of events is with this OS(Meaning a fight over rights does not look good), it is not wise to try and pull down the thing you want to hold up.

Last edited by SHADES on 14-Feb-2010 at 12:57 PM.

_________________
It's not the question that's the problem, it's the problem that's the question.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 13:19:41
#357 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 10-Jul-2005
Posts: 8415
From: Unknown

@Inquisitor

Welcome!


I hope your are more kind than name of your avatar.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 13:30:18
#358 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 25-Mar-2005
Posts: 9790
From: In the village

@Inquisitor

Quote:
Had there been a more analytical and critical approach, rather than a "fanboy" one (how Bill McEwen referenced the community in an email), we might have a better company, community and real products now.


I think if you search this website for key terms of which you are WELL aware, you'll find not everyone took things as lightly as you indicate.

I happen to believe in freedom of the press as well, and therefore believe it important to let AW users know more about what seems a remarkable effort on your part.

http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbthread.pl/amiga/expand/168649?page=1
Quote:
Your help is needed:

- Provide feedback (on this thread or to e-mail in article)

- Submit missing documents, insider knowledge, etc.

- Inform authorities and the press, especially in India, Poland, Singapore, Malaysia, USA and England

With your help we can prevent another McEwen-Kouri fraud from happening.

.
.
.inquisitor/section 5
.greets to rich


However, if you're here to solicit information to add to your body of work to date, I'm not sure approaching this anonymously is going to get you many contributions.
Just my 2¢.

#6

_________________
This posting, in its entirety, represents solely the perspective of the author.
*Secrecy has served us so well*

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
SpaceDruid 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 13:46:25
#359 ]
Super Member
Joined: 12-Jan-2007
Posts: 1748
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Thread

Quote:

Why? Amigaworld.net, like all other Amiga sites and forums, is a free site. Free as in free to be present and read, and free to be present and post.


There is still the matter of libel laws. You might think this doesn't apply to you (anyone reading this), sitting at home, just a bloke/lass in a room with an opinion, but by posting your views on a public forum, you are subject to the same laws as a newspaper editor or a TV journalist.

Libel law is international as well, so don't think you are immune because the person/company is thousands of miles away.

"I think Company X is full of thieves" is opinion.

"Company X is full of thieves" is libellous (if you can't provide factual evidence that would stand up on court).

Free speech only works if there are ways to protect the innocent. Wither your opinions of "Company X" places them in that category or not, the law protects them (And you) from false claims and harassment.


Note the purpose of this post is to provide a caveat lector to the unaware and not a dig at anyones personal views.

_________________
"Anyone with a modicum of reasonableness may realize that it is like comparing the ride in the world to descend the stairs to catch the milk in the house."

Google Translate

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Chuckt 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 13:49:27
#360 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 22-Feb-2008
Posts: 445
From: Unknown

@SHADES

Shades,

It has been years since Amiga went out of business. Commodore was kind of a cult to begin with and their bankruptcy had people asking what it was all about. There was a lot of promises made. They told us that Commodore had the most loyal customers in the world and Jack Tramiel admitted there was no loyalty.

Amiga customers were gouged by higher prices than PC users were paying for hard drives and third party devices.

When I bought a computer I wanted the past results the company had. The Commodore 64 delivered a standard and compatibility. The Amiga 500 delivered less of a standard because there were programs written that only ran on a hard drive and other programs that didn't run on a hard drive. Then you had people pulling out the different chips to put in ones with more memory. Every update made users have to pay pay pay and those who didn't had less compatibility. It is a revolution in doing business by yanking a chain around the customers to take an audience that could afford a Commodore 64 and then they had to save and make the jump to the Amiga platform just to be yanked around by a chain to upgrade all the time.

Amiga could have sold the Commodore 64 platform to CMD which would have made more sense than selling it to people who would never develop it other than a platform for the iphone.

Eyetech came out with the A1 and they were missing chips and stuff didn't work.

I sit back and I watch the wrangling. I don't have to put up with it because I know Bill McEwen will make bad decisions because he doesn't know how to do business on the long term. I work in a building that business tenants come and go and they never stay because the landlord doesn't know how to speak to them correctly, they don't always pay their bills on time, etc.

I work with a manager that is an alcoholic and nothing is ever right when he gets involved. He rented his house out, the tenants were using space heaters and burned the house down. He paid someone money to fill the foundation with concrete and the contractor came back and said he wanted more money and even though he had a contract, he lost his house. Sound familiar?

I don't care if Amiga OS4 is the best OS on the planet. Operating Systems can only do what the owners let you do with it. And if the owner is beavis and butthead then you have to take your chances because shell deals, bankruptcy, court cases make for good soap operas but they don't make for happy users.

I regard them as alleged con artists and I only say alleged because I don't wish to be sued or end up in court. The only way to stop the con artistry is to not to deal with them because until you do you are going to pay to play and you can't pay them to do their job. But if you like waiting for them to come up with a million dollars to start production, I'm sure there is a sucker somewhere they can swindle if you don't mind waiting another 5 or 10 years or so for your promised hardware. And then you will probably get another Eyetech like product without processors and stuff that breaks.

Quote:

SHADES wrote:

I understand that 82% of the time, the two (love and marriage) are mutually exclusive, statisticaly speaking :) Lets start there.

$M even makes it's in-house departments bid against each other. Want call that love, cause they are CLEARLY the winners here.
They didn't need to divorce or settle with anyone, they just closed them or payed them out. They don't care if you bag them daily cause they own the majority and they say it works better their way. Statistcally speaking, they must be right!
If you want to look at survival and all that other stuff you hold so dearly and claim to be pushing here, love has very, very little to do with it.
$M don't just survive, they dominate the market. So does $M Really, truly love someone? Sure they do, and if they don't get any love back, it's "go to your room! now!" or worse ;)

I'm not saying AMIGA INc didn't do wrong, sure they made some lousy decisions.
Want to put it in comparison with $M and their lousy decisions, oh, hang on a minute, they don't care because they are GOD in the OS marketplace and what they say goes. Don't like it, to frikken bad. let's see how you do getting your point across for any development changes in their forums.
AMIGA INC also made some wise choices. If they had not, you wouldn't even have your precious and loved OS4.
Lets see how you feel after being stroked by $M some more, when they make you use Bing instead of everybody hates google time and include the most popular browser in the world in their OS and cram it down your neck.
Want to play a game? well then laddy, get you gumboots on and drop those trousers cause Direct X is coming and it's 3x mummy and daddy time. That's right, they dictate the market on graphics HW too. Bigger HDD, faster MEM, well yes sir! $M demands it. It's so inefficient at what it does, it mandates computers will get faster to do the same things they did yesterday, but they wiggle a bit more.
Want to know why Internet Explorer the most popular browser in the world? Because most of the world uses Windows and it comes with it. That's right folks, most humans who use a computer, use Windows. Now that's a problem for me, but too bad, I have to suck it up and run WinUAE for a bit of fun now. Maybe $M secretly buried AMIGA for good this time... omg....did I just inject a hint of conspiracy in to my discussion for fun, or was their actual merit. Brilliant lol

You talk about love when it's mum and dad who don't have all that much but try, mistakes and all to give you something, but you push it back saying "I don't like peas"
This whole debate is crap. I have wasted another 10 mins typing on something I find so stupid and pointless but I got roped in to by trying to make me seem silly without any real solid evidence and just speculate and word twist.
Ill spell it out. No closure on AMIGA ground is welcome in this age. It's the AMIGA brand you nuff nuffs. Crappy website and all, it's what we had. They hired Hyperion, they put this road on the map. They made some crap deciaions and some not so crap ones, but it's all we had as an AMIGA community.
One thing out of all this is for sure, AMIGA the company if it survives will need lots of your perceived "love", mistakes and all if it is going to ever get off the ground.
It will need it for free and not gripe over a failed, stupidly made in good merritt, T-Shirt deals and anything else it tries to do to stand up against giants with bigger loves than it has in the OS world.
....love
lol

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright © 2000 - 2017 Amigaworld.net.

Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle