Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 billt:  10 mins ago
 QBit:  22 mins ago
 zipper:  28 mins ago
 kolla:  35 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga.com down?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
steril606 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 14:30:49
#41 ]

@Boot_WB

I have been coming back to the Amiga community around 2006. And around that time a lot of people gave them still the benefit of doubt. But lots of people were kind of getting upset around that time as well. That were 6 years they had to get anything going. And it seems they stopped communicating with the community very early on. And that doesn't work in a niche platform as small as ours.

I can understand people got frustrated, and left for other pastures (Hyperion). For me it seems, they are the first company since Commodores demise who got their #### together and actually do something for the platform.

So, well, I think for the Amiga this is kind of the best turnout of events. And don't expect people to mourn the loss of Amiga Inc.

I would be still interested in an honest interview with Bill McEwen. You know, I 'd like to hear why he acted that stupid all of these years, what that weird website was about, and how he lost the vision of Amiga as a valid hardware&OS platform, and not some kind of mobile device thingy no one cares about and is a shame for the Amiga name. Why the Kent Arena desaster? What happened to Fleecy? etc..

But after that, make a big Amiga checkmark on Amiga Inc, and let's all move to the greener Pastures, that are Hyperion.

Profile     Report this post  
Caveman 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 14:38:34
#42 ]
Cult Member

@steril606

I bet the investors had something to do with Bill McEwen not being able to push AmigaOS forward,but it still does'nt explain why he announced "AmigaOS 5 will be better than OSX" and all the other stunts he did. It would be quite interresting with a interview of Bill McEwen,but right now,i doubt we will hear the actual truth of the matter. Maybe in 10 year time,when the wound is healed.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 18:52:19
#43 ]

@Colin_Camper

Quote:

Colin_Camper wrote:
@Boot_WB

Quote:
a lot of pent-up aggression and frustration is directed their way - perhaps somewhat more than they deserve.

or perhaps not!

If defrauding hundreds of coupon holders wasn't enough then maybe trying to defraud a whole Town was! (Kent). \
The only person from scAmiga Inc to come up with anything he promised was Garry with the T-shirts.

In the interests of accuracy, they never tried to defraud anyone over the Kent Stadium fiasco, it was simply a marketing deal which went south - the first payment for the marketing deal never got paid.
Imho this (and the Ack partnership announcements) was simply about giving the appearance of having an ongoing business venture being threatened by Hyperion's position in regard to not handing over OS4, thus strengthening Amiga Inc's legal position at that time during the court proceedings.
The coupon scam was out of order - again, I suspect, with good intentions at the time, but time dragged on and they never fulfilled the bargain/refunded the money (afaiaa).

I'm just trying to make the point that we are sometimes more passionate about such subjects than there is really any need to be. This was, after all, a company which wanted to grow the Amiga brand - and whether through incompetence, bad luck, dodgy investors calling the shots (PK, RIP), bad management, or (insert personal theory here) it never worked out. I'm not trying to be an apologist for Amiga Inc or defend them, just trying to add a more dispassionate perspective.

[2 EDITS: minor corrections]

Last edited by Boot_WB on 06-Feb-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 06-Feb-2010 at 06:54 PM.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 19:35:05
#44 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Thread

Aren't we getting a bit ahead of the gun again? I've seen no evidence that Amiga Inc has ceased to exist, only that their website has been down for a few days...

Google Translate

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 19:36:31
#45 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

Wishful thinking maybe?

amije 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 19:48:47
#46 ]

@SpaceDruid

yeap, we are in a harry to bury them before the dawn!

Pegasos2/G3 AmigaOS4.1.2/Morphos2.7/Debian6.0/OpenSuse11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8

Long Live Amiga

Boot_WB 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 19:49:36
#47 ]

@SpaceDruid

Hirsute one: I refer you to the 5th paragraph of my first post:
Quote:
Disclaimer: I assume that Amiga Inc is going down. If not, most of the below is still relevant to their departure from the Amiga(OS) community.

(Gah! I've finally sunk to the depths of quoting myself. It won't wash off...!)

EDIT: Broken code

Last edited by Boot_WB on 06-Feb-2010 at 07:50 PM.

amigasociety 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 19:50:17
#48 ]
Cult Member

@Caveman

I think Hyperion is getting ownership of the URL and will be soon posting updated more official news about X1000. So, that is why their mention of a updated web site in the other thread about a few more days has been delayed and they are staying under the radar while they work out getting the URL. Then, whamo, the let they world know the Amiga is back.

Did I just say that?

tj

Last edited by MacSociety on 06-Feb-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 20:01:28
#49 ]
Cult Member

@MacSociety

Imho...

The Amiga.inc url is worth less than dirt,because the Amiga name,has less than zero reputation nowadays. Amiga.inc is probably looked at as some kind of scam business,by those that know the name in the businessworld(a very few)

ruben 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 20:48:56
#50 ]

@Caveman
Quote:
The Amiga.inc url is worth less than dirt,because the Amiga name,has less than zero reputation nowadays

I disagree. Most people have no idea what happened after Commodore went kaput. A number of people will remember the Escom failed ressurection attempt, and only an even smaller number (not a lot more than the current Amiga community) will know about Gateway and later times.

The Amiga name is very much associated will fun computing and great videogames, and whoever owns the trademark would be a fool not to take advantage of that.

Troels 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 21:01:45
#51 ]
Elite Member

@ruben
I agree and Amiga inc really was (is?) fools not to take advantage. It's like everything they did was wrong though some of their ideas was quite good.

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 21:02:02
#52 ]
Cult Member

@ruben

But would a investor even consider it? certainly not! If you were a businessman,and knew about some of the stunts Amiga.inc pulled during the later years,would you touch the Amiga ip? I doubt that even a bank would give you a loan,if you carried that name,nowadays.

Hondo 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 21:09:26
#53 ]

@Caveman

The name is not to blame.....only bad management

The amiga name is still VERY MUCH close to a lot of peoples hearts - im glad you dont own that name

Rob 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 21:25:08
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Actually it would be better if he owned the name because it wouldn't take an awful lot of money for him to part with such a worthless brand.

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 22:12:39
#55 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Quite the contrary. I care about that name very much. But my view is not shared with a businessman/bankier view. This is the sad fact.

And i know Amiga is close to many peoples heart,including mine.

Last edited by Caveman on 06-Feb-2010 at 10:15 PM.

ruben 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 22:17:28
#56 ]

@Hondo

Exactly. An investor would probably not be impressed by Mcewen's team, but may see value in the brand, under a different managment.

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 22:20:26
#57 ]
Cult Member

@ruben

But only if that new management managed to prove them self somehow A good start would be deliver what they promised,and get some attention around the media(internet,or whatever)

mingle 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 22:34:47
#58 ]

@Caveman

You're spot-on...

The only people who have any inkling about the name "Amiga" are the dedicated hobbyists - like us, I guess...

To the rest of the world, it means nothing... Apart from Spanish-speakers of course...

Cheers,

Mike.

steril606 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 0:46:51
#59 ]

Are you people nuts?
Off course you want the Amiga name for all future products of Hyperion. And having the Amiga.com domain could only be a positive thing in the right hands. Plus the Logos and namerights to everything thats left.

Whoever wants the X1000 being called "Amiga" instead of "AmigaOne" may raise his hand. I am surely the first one, and I cannot believe there are people who think different on this matter..

I cannot even believe we have a discussion about this...

bison 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 2:29:34
#60 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Still down, it seems...

bison@home:~$ ping amiga.com
PING amiga.com (207.126.57.129) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- amiga.com ping statistics ---
19 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 17999ms

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle