Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  7 mins ago
 pixie:  14 mins ago
 kolla:  18 mins ago
 Rob:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  40 mins ago
 corb0:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  x1000 is Vaporware
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
ddni 
Re: x1000 is Vaporware
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 13:23:26
#181 ]
Cult Member

@DAX

New issue of AFuture magazine is out 5th March.

Profile     Report this post  
winnetcom 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 14:29:19
#182 ]

@Leo

At this point all A-Eon can do is damage control. I would rather not see or hear anything til all specs are set and the h/w is ready to ship soon, like Apple.

No more teases, Please.

klx300r 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 15:29:32
#183 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

TheDungeonDelver wrote:
@klx300r
Quote:

klx300r wrote:
@amigang

i can't stand dark colours..it's depressing...try Amiga red & white

No thanks, I'd rather not have a clownputer on my desk....

well I have one 'clownputer' on my desk right now as I type...makes me smile all the time but then again I've never liked to blend in with the blacks and greys of the world...and white is too bloody 'Apple'ish for me

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Caveman 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 15:34:18
#184 ]
Cult Member

@klx300r

Nah,bring back the old trusty breadbox look of C-64,but this time around,make it glow a brown'ish light in the dark

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 17:24:59
#185 ]

@Smurfen

Quote:
CPU vendor wants to make a joint announcement? Or that the CPU vendor is not ready to officially announce that they have an agreement using this CPU due to other business reasons?

What I am saying is that people are making stuff like you posted UP. What makes you think there is a secret CPU? It's just "feels" like it?

I am using logic. Logic about how many boards can they expect to sell over the life of the X1000? I feel I'm being generous with "1,000". That is probably way too high. How many are expect to sell in the short to middle term? 200 ??

So even if they bought ALL the CPUs up front for 200 CPU a vendor wouldn't give 2 ****s about that, they'd probably be more annoyed at making such a small order They have to sell 100,000s (in the best cast) or millions in order to cover the cost of FABing a CPU like the ones we are guessing at.

So no, I don't think there is a secret agreement to sell 200 chips. That is ridiculous.

DAX 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 18:25:35
#186 ]
Elite Member

@ddni
20 days

realize 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 20:11:57
#187 ]

@DAX

Ok, now the article for Amiga Future is coming out we really know its real.... not.. should i show the old Amiga magazines I have filled with vapour? I dont think this product is vapour per se but Im wondering how and to who they will sell these boards for the prices thrown about and where is the SOFTWARE? Nobody has an answer for the last part.

COBRA 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 20:24:02
#188 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
No the chip is not known, most likely because it is not set what it will be if it goes into production and they don't want us to know they are not 100% sure on CPU yet, because they know people will get upset they are announcing a product that isn't even designed fully yet.

Changing a CPU is not something you can do easily, it usually involves a complete motherboard redesign, unless the CPUs are pin-compatible, which is not usually the case with PPC chips. If they plan to release this thing by summer, you can be sure that the CPU is fixed as there would be no time to do a redesign of the motherboard. In fact we have been told that OS4 developers already have prototypes they are working with, we have also seen screenshots of the CPU being tested under Linux, so then why do you still think that the CPU is not finalised?

There can be many reasons for a company not disclosing certain aspects of their hardware before it is finished. Did Apple reveal the iPad's CPU before they finished the product?

COBRA 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 20:27:51
#189 ]

@Leo

Quote:
Well, why creating a website, making an announcement if you know you can't announce anything ?

Excuse me? They announced the AmigaOne X1000, coming this summer, with the following specifications:

ATX Formfactor
CPU: Dual-core PowerISA v2.04+ CPU
Co-processor: "Xena" XMOS XS1-L1 128 SDS
Audio: 7.1 channel HD audio
Memory: 4× DDR2 SDRAM slots
10× USB 2.0
1× Gigabit Ethernet
2× PCIe x16 slots (1x16 or 2x8)
2× PCIe x1 slots
1× Xorro slot (gives access to "Xena")
2× PCI legacy slots
2× RS-232
4× SATA 2 connectors
1× IDE connector
JTAG connector
1× Compact Flash

I wouldn't call that as "can't announce anything"...

COBRA 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 20:41:18
#190 ]

@realize

Quote:
but Im wondering how and to who they will sell these boards for the prices thrown about and where is the SOFTWARE? Nobody has an answer for the last part.

Prices are only speculations, so how about wait and see how much it is going to cost, rather than deciding that it will cost $2000 for instance. As for the software, TrevorDick mentioned that he has a programme to send free boards to developers for various ongoing software projects. You can't expect Hyperion to come up with all the software everyone needs, in the same way as Apple does not develop the application software people use under MacOS, they develop the OS. The Application software is up to the application developers to make. But you need an attractive computer platform to attract developers, and most developers would not take hardware with specs like the Sam440 seriously enough to get going on this platform. The X1000 may just do the trick, especially if Trevor and Hyperion do a good job of contacting talented developers and arranging a system for them in return of bringing their software to AmigaOS4.

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 21:22:29
#191 ]
Cult Member

@klx300r

All I'm saying is that when you look at the boing ball it seems like there should be calliope music playing.

Smurfen 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 23:44:16
#192 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
What makes you think there is a secret CPU? It's just "feels" like it?
Did you read my post? Please reread it again and note that I have not written anything about a secret CPU, those are your words., not mine. I do not believe there is a secret CPU, I did not write any such thing.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 0:04:03
#193 ]

@Smurfen

You wrote:

"Or that the CPU vendor is not ready to officially announce that they have an agreement using this CPU due to other business reasons?"

That sound like the opposite of "public". Sounds more private or secret to me...

200 cpu's ain't ****

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 0:20:37
#194 ]

@COBRA

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Changing a CPU is not something you can do easily, it usually involves a complete motherboard redesign, unless the CPUs are pin-compatible, which is not usually the case with PPC chips. If they plan to release this thing by summer, you can be sure that the CPU is fixed as there would be no time to do a redesign of the motherboard. In fact we have been told that OS4 developers already have prototypes they are working with, we have also seen screenshots of the CPU being tested under Linux, so then why do you still think that the CPU is not finalised?

What I am suggesting is that the design is no 100% known to themselves.

Look, A-EON hasn't even had a website for 60 days yet. You really think they are going to come up with a motherboard in another 4 months?

Quote:

There can be many reasons for a company not disclosing certain aspects of their hardware before it is finished. Did Apple reveal the iPad's CPU before they finished the product?

You are proving my point. If you are creating a new product that is going to sell in the 100,000s and are creating the CPU YOURSELVES then maybe you would want to keep it secret.

A-EON probably isn't going to even order 200 CPUs at one time, are certainly not designing and FAB-ing the chips themselves, so no there is no reason to HIDE the CPU unless you are not certain what the CPU will end up being.

minator 
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 0:52:02
#195 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
so no there is no reason to HIDE the CPU unless you are not certain what the CPU will end up being.

There's a perfectly good reason, it's called an NDA.

While it's normal in the desktop market to announce chips before they are made, the embedded market is a hell of a lot more competitive and manufacturers will keep specs under wraps until the chips ship. Customers will know about them but there'll be nothing public on them.

If you look at the AMCC roadmap there's a bunch of chips due in 2010, only one has been announced though.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 0:54:43
#196 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
Look, A-EON hasn't even had a website for 60 days yet. You really think they are going to come up with a motherboard in another 4 months?

Hmmm! I was going to ignore your post but I thought I make one last attempt to put your mind at ease.

1. We already have a motherboard with chosen CPU. Orders are already in place for a significant quantities of the CPU. (far in excess of 200)

2. Hyperion have the board and are currently porting OS4 to it. Good progress is being made. I'm hoping for an official announcement soon.

3. The website is in the process of being updated, I also expected it to be up by now but to be honest it's not a priority as most of the time, effort (and money) is going into the X1000 hardware development/testing and production.

4. I also expect a joint Hyperion/A-Eon announcement soon. (I expected it to be announced earlier but see 3. above)

As an Amiga enthusiast and fully paid up member of the Amiga community I have also suffered the many disappointments and false dawns. However, I decided to try to do something about it by helping to fund a new high spec Amiga computer. If these answers do not help, then there is nothing more I can say.

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 14-Feb-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Last edited by TrevorDick on 14-Feb-2010 at 12:55 AM.

COBRA 
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 1:08:15
#197 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

According to the information available, they have already come up with a working motherboard.

Quote:
You are proving my point. If you are creating a new product that is going to sell in the 100,000s and are creating the CPU YOURSELVES then maybe you would want to keep it secret.

Apple did not create the CPU themselves, it's just an ARM CPU with the same core as some other ARM chips out there, but even if they did, it wouldn't make any difference, it's common business strategy not to reveal everything about a product until it is ready to ship. It gives your competitors less time to respond and that gives you an advantage on the market. In fact not revealing the CPU just yet tells me that there is someone at A-EON who actually knows about business.

Quote:
A-EON probably isn't going to even order 200 CPUs at one time, are certainly not designing and FAB-ing the chips themselves, so no there is no reason to HIDE the CPU unless you are not certain what the CPU will end up being.

Why do you think that they are not going to order 200 CPUs at one time? There are many reasons not to disclose certain details of a design before it is released, they may have an NDA with the chip supplier which says they cannot disclose it yet, or they simply want to ensure that another more potent company cannot interfere with the availability of that chip (it wouldn't be the first time in history that one company bought up large supplies of chips leaving smaller companies unable to get any).

Antique 
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 1:30:48
#198 ]
Cult Member

@TrevorDick

Good enough answer for me.

Just ship me one ASAP. I wan't one.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 1:55:31
#199 ]
Elite Member

@Antique

Quote:
ust ship me one ASAP. I wan't one.

Me too!

TrevorD

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Feb-2010 4:14:53
#200 ]
Elite Member

@TheDungeonDelver

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle