Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  10 mins ago
 Vidar:  26 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  36 mins ago
 RobertB:  55 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why can't AROS catch on?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Al4 
Why can't AROS catch on?
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 1:44:34
#1 ]

AROS could be a proper alternative to Windows.

AROS and linux are both free. But, linux has lots of graphics tearing on watching videos and is slow for certain things. AROS doesn't have either of those issues. Therefore, it could be the alternative to Windows in the future, in a way linux can't.

??

Profile     Report this post  
Samurai_Crow 
Re: Why can't AROS catch on?
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 1:52:50
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Al4

In 3 words: Blue Collar Coding.

It takes a large quantity of software to make an operating system take off. If AROS had as much software running on it as Linux did it would probably take off.

phase5fan 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 2:04:17
#3 ]

@Al4

AROS has no memory protection, resource tracking , does not use multiple cores.

IKE 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 2:21:13
#4 ]

@Al4

The reason for me: To be brutally honest I took one look at: http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/users/installation.php

If you're not a current user, take a look at it and that should give you a reasonable answer as to why the average user is not too keen on installing it on a working machine.

In comparison, I partitioned and installed MorphOS on my Mac Mini into a dual booting Mac OS X 10.5/MorphOS 2.4 setup in less than 30 minutes...that's with no MorphOS user experience and I hadn't touched a Mac since about OS 8.1!

IKE

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 2:33:48
#5 ]

@Al4

There just aren't a lot of coders for it. I know people think that means people don't want AROS and they use the "Linux if open source" and it's fine so people must just not want Amiga on x86.

But, as of January 2010, 75% of Linux code written by paid developers.

http://apcmag.com/linux-now-75-corporate.htm

Channel_Z 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 2:42:24
#6 ]

@IKE

You seem to have missed that there is a distribution of AROS.
http://www.icarosdesktop.org/
It is not hard to install, especially not the VM based variants.

Last edited by Channel_Z on 12-Feb-2010 at 02:42 AM.

ssolie 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 3:12:12
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Al4
Because AROS fans are still talking to the wrong people. This is an Amiga-only forum with a dedicated crowd which have already decided what they like and do not like. In other words, you guys are really wasting your time here. And I'm not just saying that because I happen to enjoy AmigaOS. Years of wasted energy trying to convert the dedicated is getting AROS nowhere.

Go out on the net, carve out a space and start attracting new people and AROS may have a chance.

Channel_Z 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 3:42:58
#8 ]

@ssolie

Quote:
This is an Amiga-only forum

Just because you do not include AROS in your definition of what qualifies as Amiga, it does not mean that I do too.
Last time I looked, both MorphOS and AROS news and discussions were welcome on this site, which means that either this is not an Amiga-only site, or that those two are included in the definition of what Amiga is.
Stop projecting your personal views on other people.
And I dare say that the upcoming AROS-68k port is going to be even more "Amiga" than OS4 running on PC-style hardware is ;)

Last edited by Channel_Z on 12-Feb-2010 at 03:43 AM.

jahc 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 3:48:31
#9 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
with a dedicated crowd which have already decided what they like and do not like

Good point (buried in there). :) Some users like to play with the options, but most have decided on their favourite I think. We gotta branch out. We = all flavours. How we can do that is a topic I dont wanna touch.

robo-ant 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 5:25:24
#10 ]

I haven't really been exposed to AROS yet. My only contact is via AW, an occasional snoop over at aros-exec.org, and an AROS LiveCD that I downloaded a couple of years ago that didn't run very well on my old Amithlon box.

If I get a netbook, it will be chosen based on AROS compatibility, and I will try it with AROS. And Haiku. And maybe some other things.

For someone wanting to go off the beaten path, who doesn't have a history with Amiga, I think that Haiku might be a better choice than any current Amiga flavour. That is said as a BeOS/Haiku outsider based on reading items on OSNews. Maybe the Haiku reality isn't as good as the news items.

I am already invested in AmigaOS4, so there is inertia to overcome.

klx300r 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 5:48:18
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Al4

I'm intrigued by AROS and will try the Sam440 port when it's available

Last edited by klx300r on 12-Feb-2010 at 05:50 AM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

tonyw 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 5:49:17
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Channel_Z

Quote:

...the upcoming AROS-68k port is going to be even more "Amiga" than OS4 running on PC-style hardware...

I seem to remember the original rationale for spending all that work writing an AmigaOS clone from scratch was so that AROS would run on "fast, modern X86 hardware" and be freed from the limited hardware availability that was the m68K Amigas.

So now it has been decided to rewrite it again so that it runs on 50 MHz MC680x0 machines that haven't been made for more than fifteen years? Why not simply run the original? After all, it's had a lot more man-years put into it.

Perhaps if AROS and MorphOS dev teams got together, they could generate something that challenged the position that AmigaOS4 has today. Separately, they are both just wasting time.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Hans 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 5:57:47
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Channel_Z

Quote:

Channel_Z wrote:
@ssolie

Quote:
This is an Amiga-only forum

Just because you do not include AROS in your definition of what qualifies as Amiga, it does not mean that I do too.Last time I looked, both MorphOS and AROS news and discussions were welcome on this site, which means that either this is not an Amiga-only site, or that those two are included in the definition of what Amiga is.
Stop projecting your personal views on other people.

I think that you've misunderstood him. Of course AROS news is welcome here, but it isn't going to have much effect because most people here have decided that they prefer Amiga OS 4, and aren't interested in AROS. Hence, ssolie's suggestion that spreading the word elsewhere would be more productive than trying to convince people here to switch to AROS.

Speaking for myself, AROS is a mild curiosity, but other than try out a few of the live CDs, I haven't done anything with it. Nor do I plan to. I'm just not interested enough in AROS to give it more attention.

Hans

Channel_Z 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 6:30:23
#14 ]

@tonyw

AROS is platform independent. It runs on PPC hardware, for example. Porting stuff does not negate work made on AROS. Don't you know about AfAOS?
Have you missed that new 68k hardware with a real Amiga chipset with improvements is in the works?

www.natami.net

@Hans

Actually, I have gotten the impression that most people actually are open-minded.
But there is a hard-core of Amiga brand loyalists that _claim_ to represent the absolute majority and _claim_ that this majority only wants to have anything to do with OS 4, looking down even upon classic-users.
If you want to visit a community where that is true, you could go for amigans.net. There you have 100% OS4. But Amigaworld is supposed to be a site for all Amiga-related things, and saying that that is not the place for propagating for a open-source OS 3.x rewrite just because you yourselves only care about OS4 is not right.

Manu 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 6:39:02
#15 ]

@Al4

Quote:

Al4 wrote:
AROS could be a proper alternative to Windows.

To a certain point, but not all the way. As I see Aros...it's not out on a mission, Aros is for people coding that likes Amiga and the Amiga way of doing an OS. These coding people are also there for the fun of it, they like to see it evolve. Take the fun out of it make it into plain business mission and Aros stop right there, the fun is then no fun anymore. So Aros is not for users then you might say, well today with Icaros it's also aiming at users. But don't expect a Windows alternative......yet

Quote:

AROS and linux are both free. But, linux has lots of graphics tearing on watching videos and is slow for certain things. AROS doesn't have either of those issues. Therefore, it could be the alternative to Windows in the future, in a way linux can't.

It's a long way to go, ask again in 10 years and we might be closer.

Back to enjoying Aros...

Hammer 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 6:43:53
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Al4

AROS has competition from ReactOS i.e. open source MS Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 clone. Refer to http://www.reactos.org/en/screenshots.html

Hans 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 6:44:40
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Channel_Z

Quote:

Channel_Z wrote:

Actually, I have gotten the impression that most people actually are open-minded.

Open-minded is different from actually being interested.

Quote:
But there is a hard-core of Amiga brand loyalists that _claim_ to represent the absolute majority and _claim_ that this majority only wants to have anything to do with OS 4, looking down even upon classic-users.
If you want to visit a community where that is true, you could go for amigans.net. There you have 100% OS4. But Amigaworld is supposed to be a site for all Amiga-related things, and saying that that is not the place for propagating for a open-source OS 3.x rewrite just because you yourselves only care about OS4 is not right.

You're still missing the point. He didn't say that you weren't allowed to discuss AROS here, or that it's not the right place; he just said that you're largely wasting your time, and you might be better of casting a wider net beyond aros-exec, AW.net, etc.

Hans

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 6:45:07
#18 ]

Quote:
Why can't AROS catch on?

I believe there are several reasons and I hope this doesn't sound disparaging:

I think a lot of the resistance is because of a perception that AROS suffers from a lack of maturity. It hasn't reached version 1.0, which is full OS3.1 source compatibility. The other perception is that it firmly embraces the past and the future less so. The Anubis project has signaled that AROS and the classic AmigaOS architecture is a dead end.

The level of excitement surrounding AROS needs to be raised to that of OS4's next release, and this would require some significant functionality to be added for it to be perceived to be viable competition.

I think AROS needs a simple one stop website for promoting AROS which sticks to how-to videos and feature demonstrations. It shouldn't have so many videos that it seems over-whelming. Users need to be eased into it.

I would love to see clear and concise video demonstrations and tutorials covering:
1. Installation.
2. Amiga Basics.
3. Customisation demos.
4. Setting up internet access and surfing the web, FTP, IRC and Mail.
5. Running classic apps and games.
6. Demos of native bundled Applications and games (e.g. Wordprocessing, spreadsheets, Doom ports).
7. Developing cross-platform applications within AROS (IDE?).
8. How to help develop AROS further.
9. Porting guides.
10. Commercial software available.

A new user like myself tends to think it may be a little too intimidating at first and so puts off getting into it, until there's enough spare time, and there may never be. I think if people know what to expect, and how easy it is to get a working system up and running, it would go a long way to making AROS seem worthwhile to them.

If such a website exists...then I would apologise for being unaware of it, except that it would be a failure of promotion.

It isn't all negative though, there are a lot things that are being done right. The Icaros project has grabbed AROS by the scruff of the neck and put it into the spotlight. The AROSShow interviews do keep me interested. Updates regarding bounties and their progress is also raising momentum. There's some interesting 3d work going on.

It would be great to hit the 1.0 milestone for the Amiga's 25th Anniversary.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 12-Feb-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Manu 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 6:51:32
#19 ]

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Al4
Because AROS fans are still talking to the wrong people. This is an Amiga-only forum with a dedicated crowd which have already decided what they like and do not like.

It's an OS4 MOS and AROS forum and yes Amiga too. (Amiga WORLD remember ?)

Quote:

In other words, you guys are really wasting your time here. And I'm not just saying that because I happen to enjoy AmigaOS. Years of wasted energy trying to convert the dedicated is getting AROS nowhere.

No one is trying to convert anybody anymore than anybody else does on this forum.
We play the same games. If you don't like Aros then ditch it. Easy.
Quote:

Go out on the net, carve out a space and start attracting new people and AROS may have a chance.

Aros always have a chance. It's open source.

amije 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 7:05:50
#20 ]

@ ssolie Hans: +1
the sad thing is still they don't understand the spirit of the words...

Pegasos2/G3 AmigaOS4.1.2/Morphos2.7/Debian6.0/OpenSuse11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8

Long Live Amiga

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle