Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 134 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

AndreasM,  outlawal2

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 outlawal2:  1 min ago
 AndreasM:  3 mins ago
 sibbi:  13 mins ago
 saimo:  27 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  27 mins ago
 vox:  39 mins ago
 kolla:  50 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  51 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigBentheAussie 
Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 16:28:50
#581 ]

@T-J
Quote:

iPad is a 1GHz machine. Sam460 is tiny, I've seen it. A bit of development cash, Simon Archer's touchscreen drivers, a new UI for the AmigaOS and a case, and you're away.

You don't need us to do that. And why wouldn't we use Amigo innards or even Atom?
How fast does the tiny SAM with the on-board graphics go though?
Not in the Ghz range surely...

Quote:

Aaaanyway, isn't your 'Commodore Amigo' a 1GHz machine?

We're still considering whether we'll bring Amigo(which would be called something else) to market after all.
Our low-end will likely be the PC64.
Actually, if memory serves me correctly, the Amigo innards got a speed bump to 1.5Ghz last I heard.
It's no speed demon, but it's a nice browsing computer
Could be nice for some 8-bit emu on a standard def TV.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 16-Sep-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
amigang 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 16:31:53
#582 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

.....pop corns getting low now.

ruben 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 16:32:44
#583 ]

@T-J

Quote:
Gwendolene X1000

Ah...I found the smiley that conveys my feeling about this name:

But, your PowerAmiga suggestion is good, better than AmigaOne anytime.

linnar 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 16:38:18
#584 ]
Cult Member

@elatour

Quote:

elatour wrote:
@Leo

Quote:
Any company related to the Amiga today, just wants to make money, with old/already done stuff...

Commodore USA just buying the name to resell existing PC motherboards. They wouldn't even release some Amiga in a Joystick. That would still be some old stuff, but a true new product.

And I don't see that changing...

You may be correct. But I saw this as a possible - even if unlikely - means to and end...with the end being raising enough cash to actually improve upon and release real and innovative consumer Amiga branded products in some distant future that would appeal to wider audience than just nostalgic hobbyists like me and many others in this community, which would elevate the brand and attract more investment whether monetary or otherwise as well as attract more interest and good will.

I was just being hopeful there may be a dim but nevertheless present glimmer of hope that something good could come out of it, ideally even with Hyperion taking part, but I have once again been shown that too many people in this community these days are more interested in shooting down ideas and the people that come up with them than coming up with their own or embracing new ones.

It's a sad state of affairs when people start getting personal and shooting down any new companies they see as a threat to their insular view of the world. It's one thing to be suspicious, critical or doubtful, but hulring personal insults at the company and/or the individuals running it appears to be more like delusionally paranoid people with personal agendas shouting down people they don't agree with rather than people that present objective criticism or want to encourage discussion to me.

I am utterly amazed at what has gone unmoderated in this and other threads on this board regarding this topic when I consider what HAS been moderated for far less when addressed at other individuals or companies.

Oops!
Really good contribution to the debate!
You get 110 points in 100 out of me.

Anyway, I have for years pointed out that as you type. I am bad in English so it has been difficult to write so people understand.
Here are the years going on pure persecution of people. When someone, in a nice way, says he believes in Bill McEwen has been followed by all-out war. Strange that some Post and continues here. They are well strong I guess. Much stronger than the cowardly rabble who write down everything that does not have Hyperion stamp.

Now that it finally seems to begin to come off the Amiga by a new company (Commodore) begins gatloppet again. But now it's "BigBentheAussie" who can run, believe the attackers. They have faults. BigBentheAussie is too strong to allow themselves to be hunted.

Now when trying to chase BigBentheAussie through the threads a few days, the one and one to turn switched hats and congratulate BigBentheAussie for what has been achieved in such a short time.
Those who are still trying to talk bad about the Commodore has now just their website's appearance left to throw up on. Frankly, I think BigBentheAussie offer it for everyone to enjoy the splash pool. He does it because he knows that outside paddling pool is a sea of potential interest. The sea is so large that the Amiga paddling pool would seem a little dirt on a rock ledge that has never gotten anywhere, or will get anywhere.

I can smell the times before when the Amiga was king of the world.

T-J 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 16:39:51
#585 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

The Sam460 is 1GHz and is physically very small. It'd make a nice netbook is what I was saying.
As to the Amigo's clock speed, 1GHz next to a 1.5GHz isn't really relevant. On a single core, its still too slow for anything more than browsing, to the customer on the street.

If you want 8-bit emu on a Standard definition TV, why not do the C64 on a joystick thing? FPGAs are cheap.

I've said it before - a Commodore-Amiga (Maybe an A100) branded Minimig with AGA support and an SD card loaded with the best games would be enough to pay homage to the old lineup and keep some criticism at bay.

As it stands, you're doing what Acorn (2006) did - you've bought a brand, made some grand announcements, frankly insulted the surviving efforts (Acorn dismissed RISC OS as irrelevant, you've been the same way about the AmigaOS) and have decided to only bother with the mass market PC sector.

@ruben

I picked the name with the least 'home computer brand-value' I could think of at short notice, to express my feelings about the 'AmigaOne' brand.

Glad you liked it.

@linnar

?

I'm not throwing up on anything. I'm just disappointed that the little 'Amiga Corporation' type guys are having their sandcastle kicked down by the big money guys at Commodore.

Again.

Last edited by T-J on 16-Sep-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Last edited by T-J on 16-Sep-2010 at 04:41 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 16:48:13
#586 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:
You claim that you've sold more 'Commodore Phoenixes' than there are NG Amiga systems. That must mean at least 5000 sales. Why have we seen no reviews, or indeed no posts anywhere on the internet from excited purchasers declaring that they've just got back into their favourite computer brand?

The same way B.McEwen claimed AmigaAnywhere 2 was better than MacOSX without showing a single demo to anyone ? :)

But please LEO, Bill McEwen never said AA2 is better than one operating system. AA2 is no operating system, it is a programming tool. A programming tool can never be called the operating system of,. But this you already know.
You use this way to write to dirty the new Commodore.

The style is not in the long run!

Who wants to see a demo here? No! For what they show is the gauntlet again.

Last edited by linnar on 16-Sep-2010 at 04:50 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 16:54:25
#587 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
Bill McEwen never said AA2 is better than one operating system.

True. He said that OS5 will be better than Mac OS X... maybe Hyperion has some surprises for us.

Last edited by pavlor on 16-Sep-2010 at 04:54 PM.

ruben 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:06:00
#588 ]

@T-J

Quote:
I'm just disappointed that the little 'Amiga Corporation' type guys are having their sandcastle kicked down by the big money guys at Commodore.

I'm not sure if C=USA is a threat to Hyperion/Acube/A-eon. One will be selling standard PC systems (though in a "cool" case) to the mainstream buyer, the other is selling exotic (I don't mean that as a pejorative) systems to advanced users / geeks.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I don't see a C=USA success implying an Hyperion/etc failure. If anything, it would have the opposite effect, i.e., awareness of Amiga world / community and more users around here.

What's your point of view?

T-J 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:13:35
#589 ]
Cult Member

@ruben

C=USA existence will lead to confusion between machines running the Amiga OS and machines with the Amiga brand. Since C=USA seems to be able to put $30m into advertising, this confusion is likely to be short-lived, as a Linux-in-heavy-disguise' is made to look like an Amiga-like OS.

C=USA success implying more users and customers for Hyperion/etc seems very optimistic and would, I think, require marketing of Power Amigas alongside the x86 games machines. Think about how the A4000 was the nerd machine to the A500 games machine. That's how I see an ideal PowerAmiga/CommodoreAmiga split.

Unfortunately, Mr Nigro seems dismissive of A-Eon and ACube's products and seems to have no wish to try to bring the AmigaOS on board.

number6 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:13:42
#590 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
True. He said that OS5 will be better than Mac OS X.

Actually, he said that OS5 wasn't even the name.

Quote:
The product that we are going to ship is going to be much better than OSX from Apple, so OS 5 is not an accurate name or description of the product offering.

Source

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:20:51
#591 ]

@T-J

Quote:
Unfortunately, Mr Nigro seems dismissive of A-Eon and ACube's products and seems to have no wish to try to bring the AmigaOS on board.

Have you read what I said?
I said we contacted A-Eon well before Amiga Inc.....
What do you think was talked about? Chewing gum?

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 16-Sep-2010 at 05:21 PM.

T-J 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:22:54
#592 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

You said you contacted them before Amiga Inc, but have you been in touch recently? You've also said that you consider it to be 'up to Hyperion' to bring the AmigaOS to your machines.

Meaning that they will get no support from you, I presume?

If I'm wrong there, and you do intend to offer support and assistance, then great.

Last edited by T-J on 16-Sep-2010 at 05:25 PM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:28:19
#593 ]

@T-J

why would anybody use a SAM board for developing anything other then a hobby computer? C=USA is not after hobby market, that much is certain.

If you want a bespoke, custom OS+hardware, buy a X1000 or something like that.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:39:15
#594 ]

@T-J

Quote:
You said you contacted them before Amiga Inc, but have you been in touch recently? You've also said that you consider it to be 'up to Hyperion' to bring the AmigaOS to your machines.

Yes... They wanted confirmation of the Amiga license being granted.
I'm hopeful there can be some positive discussion in future between companies.
But in the meantime...both companies will go on doing what they were going to do anyway.
I think people should buy what they were going to buy anyway.

Quote:
Meaning that they will get no support from you, I presume?

WTH?
We're the ones reaching out to them!!!
Don't paint us as bad guys because they wont talk to us.
If you want us to do something with them, then go hassle them.
We've always been totally open to it.

Without cooperation, supporting Hyperion would be as ridiculous as Dell supporting HP.
Why would we, or they, do that?

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 16-Sep-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 16-Sep-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 16-Sep-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:45:20
#595 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:

What I really I want is custom hardware with a different OS.

AND

Quote:

I'd buy a 'Gwendolene X1000', frankly, if the specs were right and it ran the Amiga OS.

Oh, and you can call the Amiga OS 'Geoff' if you like and I wouldn't care. As I said, its the attitudes and 'philosophy' behind the OS4 project, the X1000 effort and ACube that have drawn me in.

+1 Except, I think 'Scheherazade' is more befitting.

http://www.answers.com/topic/scheherazade

@amigang

Quote:

.....pop corns getting low now.

Need I remind you that popping corn is YOUR duty today ???

sheesh!

andres 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:51:47
#596 ]

Frankly, 30 millions for advertising when you don't even seem to have an original product to sell...
With 30 millions you could probabily buy all Commodore, Amiga Inc., and still having some money for a pizza... mah...

Last edited by andres on 16-Sep-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Last edited by andres on 16-Sep-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Home Recording Audio

T-J 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 17:52:28
#597 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Well, I can understand them wanting confirmation of the Amiga license being granted, after their history with AmigaInc. I can't see that being a problem, just nail McEwen to a public statement or get a third-party to reveal all.

Quote:
Don't paint us as bad guys because they wont talk to us.

I'm not painting anyone. My assumption was that you didn't intend to support Hyperion's port, either financially or otherwise. Your previous comments suggest that you consider AmigaOS to be nothing more than a relic for the hobbyist, so I think I was basing that on fairly solid evidence.

Anyway, your machines don't need AmigaOS to run PC games any more than the A500 needed Workbench to run Amiga games. Its only on the enthusiast market that the AmigaOS has real value, both now and in the past.

This is why I feel there is room for two complementary product lines - games machines and enthusiast computers. And A-Eon's X1000 would make an ideal PowerAmiga to complement your line of games machines and bring a much-needed connection to the custom-hardware Amiga legacy to your lineup. But to get anywhere, it would need to avoid being overshadowed by your brand/advertising.

That would require either the X1000 adopting a different brand, to avoid confusion (the 'Lorraine' solution) or you adding it in some way to your marketing material/web shop as the enthusiast's choice.

@Mechanic

Scheherazade is good. I like the name's background, but perhaps the general public might mistakenly think that A-Eon is selling some sort of carbonated drink...

Last edited by T-J on 16-Sep-2010 at 05:55 PM.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 18:15:37
#598 ]

@T-J

Quote:
My assumption was that you didn't intend to support Hyperion's port, either financially or otherwise.

WTH?
How the hell is that our problem???? They don't even want to port to x86.
What you seem to be suggesting is like paying Microsoft a huge sum up front just for the honour of them being able to sell Windows to us?
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 16-Sep-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 16-Sep-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 18:35:31
#599 ]
Elite Member

600 Odd posts.

I don't think I can eat any more popcorn.

Pass the Nacho's someone.
*BURP!

elatour 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 18:53:12
#600 ]
Cult Member

@T-J
Quote:
The saddest thing though is that CommodoreUSA's money men are coming in and stamping all over the efforts of smaller groups of engineers and developers. You know, people who actually do stuff?

Hmm... I hate to be the one to point this out, but I'm sure that is how many AROS, MorphOS, Amithlon and/or UAE developers and users felt in the early part of the past decade when Hyperion (supported to some extend by Amiga Inc.) painted them all with the same brush, accusing some of doing illegal things, when at the time, all they actually had was a license from Amiga Inc. but still nothing to show anyone...which only came many years later. And these developers were...you know, people who actually HAD DONE stuff by that point.

Bottom line is that it's business and they've all done something that could be perceived as trampling on others' their efforts, although it was probably not their intention.

I see each new Amiga venture, including but limited to EON's X1000 platform and C= USA's systems, as an opportunity to re-ignite, re-envirogorate and revitalize the Amiga brand, platform and/or spirit of creativity and innovation that once used to be so prevalent in this community to different and wider audiences... Many things Amiga were not "it can't be done" or "you can't do that"...it was instead "watch me do it/get it done"...usually followed by a "WOW! How'd they do that?!?!?!?!" This is after all a large part of what Amiga was known for and this is what I would like to see again some day.

I'm not expecting any of these things to happen over night or without substantial resources and money, and I am realistic that it is unlikely to ever happen, but I'm nevertheless hopeful and applaud anyone that has the cojones to try to make something/ANYTHING happen/move forward.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle