Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 176 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  19 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 56 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 34 mins ago
 billt:  5 hrs 42 mins ago
 amigang:  5 hrs 53 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  5 hrs 55 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 19 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Deniil715 
Re: Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF!
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 9:15:08
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
IMHO Timberwolf was too early to released to us. Okay it was Alpha and we kept asking. But it was buggy and just unsable for surfing. Without a Beta following it's still just a blimp on the radar and I went back to OWB after five minutes.

They really just had to release it because we were nagging so much. They probably feld quite a releif after doing so. They also said FF is moving towards 4.0 and no TW will be released or even worked on before that since it would be a waste of time.

Quote:
I'd much prefer the features of FF adapted to OWB.

What??! OWB isn't an Amiga application, its just a window displaying web pages. Nothing more, and that was the goal Joerg had. We might as well use MultiView as frontend.

Quote:
Timberwolf gave me a warning, of what is to come to have a modern browser on the Amiga, and I didn't like it. When I use an Amiga application I like to have the look and feel of a real Amiga application. Timberwolf just didn't do this. It had it's custom GUI designed for Windows trying to work on Amiga and it doesn't look like it will get much better with the Gecko interface. But I have used FF on Windows and it looked and felt like a Windows application so why does it still have to look and feel like a Windows application on Amiga.

At least TW is a complete featured application like IBrowse. Yes the alpha didn't have customized Amiga menus and buttons, hardly unexpected. Besides, it doesn't feel like a windows app but rather a Linux app. yes it would ge great if it was adapted to some extent, but I rather have a stable and feature rich Linux looking TW than a half-cooked lacking Amiga-looking verison that is impossible to maintain and keep up-to-date.

Profile     Report this post  
drHirudo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 10:24:14
#62 ]

@gregthecanuck

Quote:

gregthecanuck wrote:
@thread

Oh come on, stop it. A question on Timberwolf has evolved into a bunfight over OWB and who did the most work on it and whether or not they got donations. Give me a break.

MorphOS people are so predictive. They aren't getting Timberwolf unless Hyperion decides to share their source contribution to the tree. They have MorphOS OWB port that use it to slam the Amiga browsers. My first post was using words of well known MOS devs on Amiga.org when Timberwolf was first released. Some people saw the irony, other did not. Whatever.

But I am glad that this thread made Hyperion developer to speak and clear some rumors and red herrings posted over and over again. Lets hope new version of Timberwolf is released soon (in two weeks), because the version available now is just a proof of concept. It is useless as a daily browser. I read Cyrillic websites and Timberwolf don't even display the text on them. The speed is lazy and it gurus a lot. But as written already, Timberwolf is not just a Browser (Like OWB). It's a platform that will make many Amigans use other OSes for browsing less and less (I will be one of these people).

Regards

DAX 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 10:36:22
#63 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo
Indeed, your joke was so borderline it fooled the developers themselves

Anyway, FF 4.0 is great technology and a fantastic Browser (3.6 with a plethora of add ons is my Windows browser) so can't wait.

paolone 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 10:43:20
#64 ]

Please. Don't judge Friedens' Timberwolf work for the alpha release. An Alpha is always an Alpha, which means "far incomplete, barely usable and buggy" for definition.

cha05e90 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 12:20:56
#65 ]

@drHirudo

Quote:
(in two weeks)

Tomas 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 15:37:18
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Akiko

Quote:

Akiko wrote:
@drHirudo

You do realise OWB on OS4 has ceased delevopment?

Are you really sure about that? I am using 3.30 that was released only a month or so ago.
Would be too bad to stop development on this browser when it is finally starting to get really good.
Especially when there are currently no mature alternative besides outdated browsers like ibrowse.

ChrisH 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 19:15:17
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas
Yes, OWB v3.30 is the last version we are getting from Joerg. I don't mind too much (even having only donated a few months ago), since OWB does the main thing you want a web browser to do - browse the web! The missing stuff is mostly an inconvenience, which I can live without until Timberwolf/Firefox gets finished for OS4.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 20:03:41
#68 ]

@drHirudo

Thanks.

realize 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 22:40:00
#69 ]

@drHirudo

Quote:
But t I am glad that this thread made Hyperion developer to speak and clear some rumors and red herrings posted over and over again.

Yes, this is what happens when you actually ASK instead of what most aw.net users do and Speculate on rumours and things they read on the internet instead of asking the sometime unpopular questions and being a bad guy. Too much fanboyism on the os4 user base imho.

And if its not a fanboy its a troll or a flame baiter or whatever. Always some chump "i know how you morphos guys are" or "the blue side this red side that" We are all amiga users and long time computer people, such people are demanding and hard to please at time. I'll tell you this users just sitting by saying its coming or its going to be ok is not going to advance the platform.

Last edited by realize on 27-Oct-2010 at 10:40 PM.

pixie 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:15:42
#70 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo
Thanks god! I thought for a moment that the world was spinning backwards! You got the irony to unprecedented levels, not only making a stir where otherwise we'd probably had none, but actually fueling it up.

Congrats, one have to have balls to acknowledge being trolling, my kudos to you.

Last edited by pixie on 27-Oct-2010 at 11:18 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:37:30
#71 ]
Elite Member

Could be a bit of a wait until Timberwolf is released if we are waiting for FF 4.0:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/27/firefox_4_slips/

Last edited by -Sam- on 08-Nov-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Nov-2010 14:50:57
#72 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:
They really just had to release it because we were nagging so much.

Quote:
What??! OWB isn't an Amiga application, its just a window displaying web pages.

My point was it contains a proper Reaction GUI interface. Which is more to me than a simple window or Multiview with a Gadtools TapeDeck gadget.

Quote:
At least TW is a complete featured application like IBrowse.

But at what cost? I mean what overheads will it have? Will it take ages to load? Like my old Abiword does.

nimrod7 
Posted on 8-Nov-2010 15:01:33
#73 ]

@-Sam-

yes, as i understood the AMiWest news, devs are aiming at FF4.0, cos they won't finish the current version before FF4.0 is out and the bounty rules demand to be up-to-date

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

djrikki 
Posted on 8-Nov-2010 15:02:24
#74 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

:(

Deniil715 
Posted on 8-Nov-2010 17:48:20
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
My point was it contains a proper Reaction GUI interface. Which is more to me than a simple window or Multiview with a Gadtools TapeDeck gadget.

Well, yea, it's a little more than just a window
What I mean is that I don't think it makes any difference if you put all the FF features into OWB or simply use FF as it is. OWB will be just as heavy.

TW alpha takes a good number of seconds to load. Not acceptable if it was a finished product. But OWB also used to take half a century to load in the beginning.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Nov-2010 13:35:23
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:
What I mean is that I don't think it makes any difference if you put all the FF features into OWB or simply use FF as it is. OWB will be just as heavy

Then this a worry. I was using Facebook to type a message with OWB recently and it was dog slow. Like one character a second. Reminded me of YAM on my '030 A1200. Ouch!

If it's getting to the stage we need all this horse power just for simple word processor or text editor even then I am really worried about the future of computers and the internet. Web based apps? Yeah right!

Looks like the intenret will force us all into using W7. Not because we need that quad 3.5Ghz monster but because we need it to type a few words into a web site!

Tomas 
Posted on 17-Nov-2010 14:40:38
#77 ]
Elite Member

So in other words the X1000 will be released at a time when we have no up2date modern browser.. Good idea indeed....

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Nov-2010 15:58:04
#78 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Then this a worry. I was using Facebook to type a message with OWB recently and it was dog slow. Like one character a second. Reminded me of YAM on my '030 A1200. Ouch!

If it's getting to the stage we need all this horse power just for simple word processor or text editor even then I am really worried about the future of computers and the internet. Web based apps? Yeah right!

really? i use facebook on my SAM and i don't have that issue at all. so long as i wait until the page fully loads, everything is fine.

and yes, i have to agree about the horsepower needed to drive the javascript interpreters that are needed for the 'web-based' brave new world. it seems a bit much.

@Tomas

Quote:
So in other words the X1000 will be released at a time when we have no up2date modern browser.. Good idea indeed....

yes, i'd like to see an OS4 variant of firefox when the X1000 ships to the general public, but frankly, i have yet to find a site that OWB chokes on but firefox (on my solaris boxen) handles better. i'd love to see OWB built with more recent webkit builds and feel that OWB is just fine. i would also think the friedens would also like to have timberwolf released around then as well, but the code responsibilities on their shoulders at the moment are fairly huge.

rather a working OS4 which is able to take advantage of the performance improvements the 'mystery processor' brings to the table than firefox. but i certainly see your point. i would be wonderful if it was available at GA as well.

-- eliyahu

Anonymous 
Posted on 17-Nov-2010 16:11:45
# ]

@EntilZha

Quote:
Just shows that you don't think beyond the browser. Firefox is not only a browser, it's technology.

You mean it's not only a great browser, but it's a thoroughly awful technology. Sorry, but I just don't see the 'Mozilla platform' argument. It sucks as a platform, that's the truth of it.

EDIT: See Mozilla Thunderbird 3 - where did you go wrong?

Songbird is the same. I could point to a ton of bug reports, forum posts and explanations from the team about why Songbird hogs CPU and memory, why performance is still lacking, why the roadmap is slipping and why features are being dropped.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 17-Nov-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 17-Nov-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Report this post  
Tomas 
Posted on 17-Nov-2010 16:16:34
#80 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu
Personally i would rather have a updated and more complete version of OWB, as that simply runs alot better on my low end sam. Firefox is even a hog and leaks memory like hell even on a modern pc running windows or linux.
OWB actually now starts up about as fast on my 533mhz sam as firefox does on a modern pc.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle