Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  21 secs ago
 Gunnar:  33 secs ago
 Kremlar:  14 mins ago
 Rob:  18 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  41 mins ago
 clint:  47 mins ago
 vox:  53 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiwest Report From AmigaKit.com
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigakit 
Amiwest Report From AmigaKit.com
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 22:44:51
#1 ]
Amiga Kit

We arrived at the new hotel on the Friday afternoon. This year the hotel venue had changed locations a few blocks down the road. It was great improvement to have Amiwest hosted within a newly built hotel with modern facilities, including improved Wi-Fi, which had been a problem in previous Amiwest events. The conference rooms were spacious and fitted with modern facilities such as digital projectors. By the time we had arrived, one of the organisers, Chuck, had already laid out the exhibitor tables and prepared the room. Chuck is an unsung hero. He works tirelessly every year to ensure that Amiwest venue runs smoothly and his attention to detail was as good as ever this year.

The Amiwest Show started on the Friday evening with a technical clinic and meeting amongst key Amiga people and developers. It was good to meet our North American customers face-to-face, most of which we serve regularly throughout the year with orders and technical assistance through our website. Microbrew beer refreshments were offered around the room which helped those with jet-lag.

Our Technician was quickly put to work with upgrading an Amiga 4000 with a CF IDE hard disk we supplied previously. The A4000 had some problems: the symptoms initially proved troublesome to diagnose as it failed to start Cybergraphics card and was crashing due to a stack problem. After an hour, all of the data from the old noisy hard disk was transferred over to the silent CF drive and Workbench was configured. Success!

Our Technician then helped setup the SAM 460 board that would be on display the following day. There was a lot of people catching up with each other and plenty of tech-talk about everyone's favourite computer.

The evening's meeting went well and it was generally accepted that it was very useful for key Amiga people to get together and constuctively discuss future of AmigaOS 4. AmigaOS developer, Steven Solie, did a great job facilitating most of the discussions. Key AmigaOS and Timberwolf developers, Hans-Joerg and Thomas Frieden gave us an incitful overview of the hard work that they and the OS 4 team had put in over the last year. Trevor Dickinson, Director of A-EON introduced himself to many who had not met him previously. He described his passion for collecting Commodore machines including the numerous Amigas that he has acquired over the years. Ahead of the Saturday announcement, it was revealed at the meeting that the forthcoming AmigaOS 4.1 Classic will be distributed by AmigaKit and it would crucially support another AmigaKit product, ZorRAM. This was positively received by all present.

Once the SAM 460 was up and running, a small crowd got a preview demonstration. As the evening came to end, everyone left slowly for bed.

The Saturday was an early start for exhibitors and vendors. The doors opened at 10am and it was a rush to get breakfast and then setup the tables for the day before the crowds were permitted into the venue. When we had arrived, Carl Sassenrath from the original Amiga development team, had started to setup next to our table. He had brought many Amiga treasures from his development days at Commodore which he offered for sale during the show. He was at hand all day to talk about the prototypes and sign books and hardware for anyone that asked. Another original Amiga developer, Dale Luck also attended the show wearing a distinctive Boing Ball jacket. Both were asked many questions about their Commodore Amiga days and it was great link to the past especially as this year's Amiwest was a celebration of Amiga's 25th year.

Jens Schoenfeld, hardware guru from Individual Computers, showed the prototypes of both his new 68030 based A1200 and A600 accelerators. The progressive designs of both accelerators are highly tuned to squeeze as much performance as possible out of the CPU. Our Technician took the A600 accelerator for a test drive and was very suprised at how responsive the Amiga 600 was. It is quite amazing that new Classic Amiga hardware is available such as this in 2010. Expect both of these much-anticipated products to be available at AmigaKit shortly.

Various speakers contributed at the show addressing the crowds.

Trevor Dickinson introduced A-EON and the AmigaOne X1000. He was happy to field questions from the audience. He confirmed that Beta Testers of the X1000 would also receive limited edition "Beta Tester" enamel pin badge and a copy of the game BOH.

Struggling with a sore throat, Ben Hermans from Hyperion elaborated on where OS 4.1 was destined in future development and was assisted in answering questions by the Frieden brothers. He also explained interestingly that X1000 cores are fully partitionable so Linux could be run on one core at the same time as OS 4.1.

Finally Carl Sassenrath announced that Rebol 3 had been ported to OS 4.1 since he has been donated a SAM440 machine. There was a cheer from the audience at that news. He then gave an overview of the Rebol language and explained how he came to develop it from early ideas.

The AmigaOne X1000 was on display in it's sleek black tower and running the latest AmigaOS 4.1 for visitors to test. Any product questions were answered by Trevor, Thomas and Hans-Joerg. The USA version of the AmigaOne keyboards and Boing Ball mice were also well received and eventually sold out over the course of the show. Walking around the room, it seemed as if every next gen Amiga on display had a matching Boing Ball equipped mouse and keyboard.

Minimig was also demonstrated nicely throughout the day by Joel Cholokians with a LCD flat screen and Boing Ball mouse.

Dave Morris organised the gaming event which I was told kept many visitors entertained.

Jamie Krueger, Bit By Bit Software, demonstrated the SDKBrowser 2.0 and GUI Builder. He talked about the work-in-progress of AVD. It certainly looks impressive with lots of potential and we hope it will be completed within the next year.

Sacramento Amiga Computer Club had officially licensed T-Shirts printed to mark the show and were selling them to the visitors. Our Technician couldn't resist and paid his $20. I urged him to get it signed by Carl and Dale but he missed the opportunity.

The whole show attracted over 100 visitors through out the course of the day from many different States and countries.

In typical Amiwest tradition, the Banquet followed the show at 7pm. Around 65 people paid for Banquet tickets this year which was the best turn-out since it's inception in 1998.

Every table had a bottle of Sassenrath Ranch red wine which was kindly donated by Carl. The meal was delicious as usual and well organised. The after dinner speaker this year was Trevor Dickinson who started his speech, tongue-in-cheek by showing the "Dancing Trevor" video that has been published on an Amiga forum, He then introduced the Banquet attendees to his passion for the Amiga and his many Commodore computer that he had collected over the years which were the catalyst for him becoming involved in the AmigaOne X1000 project. It was a fascinating presentation and many realised that Trevor is primarily a fellow Amiga enthusiast with a dream of a high specification Amiga. After his speech, the audience gave him a warm round of applause.

Despite his failing voice, Ben Hermans was also invited to talk and formally announced that AmigaKit will distribute the forthcoming AmigaOS 4.1 for Classic Amiga complete with ZorRAM support.

Customary awards were handed out by SACC President, Brian Deneen to Steven Solie, this years sponsors (AEON, Individual Computers and AmigaKit) and finally Carl Sassenrath.

Sunday's show was started with Ben Hermans taking the microphone on the show floor before he left to catch his plane home.

The day seemed to go very quickly with lots of people making last minute purchases. Our Technician helped a few users install their ZorRAM memory expansions in their Amigas. Once again the show was well organised with a pasta buffet laid on for sustenance throughout the day.

Bill Bosari interviewed exhibitors and broadcast the event across the internet to the wider audience. Every year Bill does a great job in ensuring that Amiwest has many virtual internet attendees.

A-EON generously decided to donate the X1000 tower for the raffle at the end of the show.

All too quickly, it was time to pack up to leave. Just before we did, Carl Sassenrath asked for an AmigaOne "Boing Ball" keyboard for his SAM440 computer.

We said our goodbyes and left for our evening meal with Trevor and Jens to meet a special guest, Amiga musician, Chris Huelsbeck. During the meal, he inspected the new X1000 motherboard and we reminiced on the many Amiga games he has composed great music for. After the meal Chris gave us an impromptu demo of his latest musical creations including a few of his remixes of classic tunes. Our Technician received a signed CD copy of his work- thanks Chris!

We would like to thank everyone who attended this year's Amiwest and especially Chuck, Brian, Bill and SACC members for organising this event. It was an enjoyable few days and we will be happy to continue attending and sponsoring the show in future years.

Last edited by amigakit on 30-Oct-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Last edited by amigakit on 27-Oct-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 27-Oct-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 27-Oct-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 27-Oct-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 27-Oct-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
sundown 
Re: Amiwest Report From AmigaKit.com
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 22:55:33
#2 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Excellent review, thank you very much.

amigakit 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:05:30
#3 ]
Amiga Kit

@sundown

Thanks, it was a pleasure meeting you again.

stevieu 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:06:11
#4 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

A lovely read. Thank you very much!

Steve

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

sundown 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:07:36
#5 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Still have that kb & mouse in wraps, just have to keep them shiny new for a few more days.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:10:52
#6 ]

@amigakit

Good to get the full page summary. Thanks.

Jens had some other exciting news about his personal projects, and insight into his attempts to return the community back to full glory.

Pentrite 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:28:24
#7 ]

I haven't read anywhere about current status of OS4 in A1X1000.

sundown 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:42:12
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Pentrite

It looked & felt the same as it does on my micro, I'm sure there are still issues to work on. I forgot to ask about the gfx care drivers though., usb2 is working, but there are a few devices that don't get recognised yet. I'm sure the x1000 beta testers will find plenty of bugs to report, but then thats the whole point.

agnus1975x 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:50:22
#9 ]

@amigakit

Quote:
Ben Hermans was also invited to talk and formally announced that AmigaKit will distribute the forthcoming AmigaOS 4.1 for Classic Amiga complete with ZorRAM support.

I'm sure many amigans were waiting for this moment...
I'll buy the ZoRAM with 128Mb and AmigaOS4.1 when the upgrade for classic will be available.

redfox 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 0:49:45
#10 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Thank you very much for the excellent report.

---
redfox

freeaks 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 3:53:40
#11 ]

@sundown
excellent review? in what sense?
he said he showed a sam460.
x1000 too was shown.
we knew that already. even before amiwest started this was known.

a more intersting review would have been to explain what was shown on those machine.
how apps ran.
how well the os itself ran
and maybe some bits of information about differences/ progresses between last time those machines were shown at vcf for example.

saying "ppl came", "machines were shown", "ppl enjoyed the show" then "ppl went back home"
is close to say nothing.

plus i'm not interested in amiga shows to learn how amigans performed.
hearing that trevor made a dance video, or that ben herman had a sore throat or such stuffs is absolutely useless. if i wanted to hear such stuffs, i'd run a social service for amigans wellfare.
or i'd come to some forum and see their posts, eventually talking with them directly.
the sole purpose of these amiga fairs is to get to see new hadware, Os progress, test out devices,
look at progresses being made and such.
... get new official announcements .. well amiga related news .. you know..

all the reports displaying photos of ppl's faces instead of computer screens...
it's as if you're all more interested in each other behaviors and stunts, than amiga's advances in general.

not that i dislike community or anything like that but come on .. where's the interesting information now ?
how well the x1000 performed?
how well sam460 performed?
what kind of test ran?
how fast is it compared to sam 440 or amigaone xe ?
how the long awaited shell improvements felt ? are they usable yet ?
boot time ?
os general responsiveness ?
3d apps can run ? games ? dvd or 1080p video ok ?
anyone tested usb2 ? (according to other reports it's done, only few tweaks needed for devices that don't fully respect usb2 standard..)
any decent video showing any of these?
unbelievable ... no contents at all and ppl seems happy .. "lovely read, excelllent review ?! excuse me ?!

i have nothing against you personaly amigakit
.. i even ordered a sam440flex from you 2 weeks ago.

about that, i'd appreciate if you could hurry up.
when i placed my order on your website it read "in stock" strangely, as soon after as i placed my order, the "sam440 complete system" item disapeared from your site.
did you took you whole stock to amiwest ?
i ordered it before amiwest..
and now two week after my order have just been updated from "pending" to "being picked" meaning it took you more than 2 day to just select what components to use to build my order.. come on the system is a SOC ! you only need to put ram stick in it and stuff the whole in a tower and send the package.. considering the time it takes, i seriously hope i'll have NO problem with it.
i expected i'd have it by now already .....

Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 04:00 AM.

ssolie 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 4:19:58
#12 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit
Thanks for the report! Always nice to catch up with you.

I plan to publish my own report on the AmigaOS development side of things including the roadmap which Hyperion shared.

@all
Yes, the 460ex is quite snappy. Time to update my signature.

AlexC 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 4:20:00
#13 ]

@freeaks
Thanks for sharing your negativity!

I could simply say that if you didn't like that review you should have attended amiwest and written your own... but instead I'll try to set you straight on a few points:

The amigakit staff was mostly stuck at their table so they didn't get to spend all their time taking notes about every little details, they just related what they saw.
It's not like this is going to be the only review ever published, so cut amigakit some slack please, other people will write reviews, publish pictures, videos, etc, and provide more insightful information.

All in all it was a great show and amigakit painted that picture quite well.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

sundown 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 4:30:22
#14 ]
Elite Member

@freeaks

Quote:
not that i dislike community or anything like that but come on .. where's the interesting information now ?

The show is very much a social event where everyone gets together once a year, we like to party.

Quote:
how well the x1000 performed?

I watched rogue start 2 Quake type games & run a video on DvPlayer, all running at the same time. Ranger showed it running at 1.8GHz, os4.1 was working just fine for the short amount of time I played with it. The case was smaller then I thought it would be, so a keeper for me.

Quote:
how well sam460 performed?

Tne 460 arrived Friday before the show, ssolie had to put it in a case, first boot was a no-go. Found the ram card was not all the way in, finally got it booting & installed os4.1. Some OS problems because the code had to be done on the sam440 before the show. Ranger showed it running at 1.166 GHz, nice surprise, not sure what that means for the public release as far as clock speed.

Quote:
how is the long awaited shell improvements felt ? are they usable yet ?

I played with the new shell, it has history & tabs, much like the morphos version, very nice.

Quote:
os general responsiveness ?

Both systems were very responsive with 4.1 & composite on.

Quote:
3d apps can run ? games ? dvd or 1080p video ok ?

Only saw games on the x1000, the 460 was a work in progress, so we didn't try. No idea yet about HD video on the x1000.

freeaks 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 4:37:48
#15 ]

@AlexC

i'm sorry but no.
"In my opinion his report isn't that interesting". i won't be saying it's good just to please the man.
plus he take a lot of time to process my order. which i made on monday 18th.
right now it reads "being picked" .. two weeks later.

i don't hate him. i just express my thoughts about the show, his report and eventually his service as a professional.

saying reports should have more contents, and order being labeled as "in stock" should be processed faster is not unfair or negative. it'd just the way i feel it. you ppl express your thougt too "excellent, lovely read and such.
i do the same. it's just that i don't agree.
you can put a sticker "negative dude" on me because it's easier for you to process that way if you want..
nevertheless i said my mind.

update: "In my opinion his report isn't that interesting"
sundown you're right. i have updated my post to reflect that this is just my personal opinion i express here. maybe i should put that in a signature or something.

Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 05:06 AM.

sundown 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 4:48:22
#16 ]
Elite Member

@freeaks

Quote:
his report isn't that interesting..

Try "In my opinion his report isn't that interesting", you stated it as a fact & not an opinion. Sure be nice if guys like you learned the correct way to say something without bashing other ppls effort to share information.

Please don't reply to this, we need to get back on topic.

freeaks 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 4:48:51
#17 ]

@sundown

now that's some info..
i can't ask for ppl to report in some way or another. everyone is free.
but i simply don't understand why the reports in general aren't filled with such details..
a lot more.
screens, videos, pictures, comparisons, progresses ..etc.

and .. those show aren't just social event "parties"
it's the time for progress reports, public announcements, public displays, test and showcase too.

imagine other compagnies that sell computer goods like "insert whatever company name here intel, amd etc .." commenting on ppl attending the show more than how the products they came to show performed ?!

well it's interesting to hear ppl appreciated the show but shouldn't the actual products be a bit more in focus here ?

Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 04:56 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 5:03:10
#18 ]
Elite Member

@freeaks

I think the only other time I heard a complaint about Amiga Kit's service was around the time of Amiwest so I guess that a few orders end up taking a while longer when they're busy preparing for the show. As far as I know there are only 3 people at Amiga Kit so if they all attended then no one would having been working between at least Thursday and Tuesday/ Hope you don't have to wait too long now that it's business as usual.

@Sundown

Quote:
I watched rogue start 2 Quake type games & run a video on DvPlayer, all running at the same time.

Sounds like stability has greatly improved since I had a play with the X1000 at VCF.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 5:16:37
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Yes, definitely (IMHO).

AmigaKit - thanks for your show report.

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 28-Oct-2010 at 05:17 AM.

freeaks 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 5:26:24
#20 ]

@Rob

fair enough. i can understand that.
next time i'll place an order i'll confirm about availability, and time constrains.
i just hope it won't take two more weeks. and the product gets well delivered.
well i'll just have to wait and see. eventually apologize if everything arrive soon in working order..

back on the topic,
thanks for the report but, it would be nice if it gained a bit in substance.
after all you had a sam460 to display, you surely had time to play a bit with the board.
at this point i'm sure most would envy this fact and would like to hear more about it. with respect to any nda of course.

like, is the sam460 already able to use pcie gfx card ? or not just yet ?
is the sam460 fanless like sam440? does it gets hot ?
if a fan is needed what can be done about noise reduction ?
any uptime info ? how stable is it compared to amigaone and sam440 at this moment in time of developement ? any idea about amigakit special desktop / tower to propose for a complete system ?
any idea for gfx card to propose for a complete system? possibly fanless gfx card ?
etc ..

thanks for insights, if any.

Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Last edited by freeaks on 28-Oct-2010 at 05:28 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle