Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  19 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  25 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  29 mins ago
 kolla:  41 mins ago
 Gunnar:  44 mins ago
 Comi:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Where is OS 4.2?? Why NO NEWS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
xeron 
Re: Where is OS 4.2?? Why NO NEWS?
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 17:48:31
#41 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@realize

Quote:

Ummm who is this "we" ? Dont forget its mainly 2 guys working on this list of yours? I know they are German but are they Zarathustras?

What the hell would you know about who is working on OS4? Clearly nothing. So don't make claims as if you do.

BTW, heres a quote from a recent interview with Olaf Barthel:

Quote:

After working on the AmigaOS 3.x, you worked on the new generation AmigaOS 4. Firstly, could you present the active members of the AmigaOS 4 development team?

That's difficult. I'm a member of the development group, but I am not involved in management, never was. The best I can do for you is give you a list of the people who have, over the years, worked on and contributed to the AmigaOS 4 project:

Tobias Abt, Andrija Antonijevic, Simon Archer, Olaf Barthel, Don Cox, Richard Drummond, Stefan Falke, Stephen Fellner, Philippe Ferrucci, Hans-Jörg Frieden, Thomas Frieden, Peter Gordon, Timothy de Groote, Stéphane Guillard, Paul Heams, Joshua B. Helm, Steffen Häuser, Matthew Kille, Alexander Kneer, Christopher Kossa, Adam Kowalczyk, Jens Langner, Henning Nielsen Lund, Martin McKenzie, Martin Merz, Costel Mincea, Rene Olsen, Sven Ottemann, Andrea Palmate, Almos Rajnai, David Rey, Thomas Richter, Rudolph Riedel, Oliver Roberts, Stefan Robl, Hans de Ruiter, Stephan Rupprecht, Csaba Simon, Vit Sindlar, Steven Solie, Ignatios Souvatzis, Martin Steigerwald, Dirk Stoecker, Jörg Strohmayer, Massimo Tantignone, Rene Thol, Thomas Graff Thøger, Laszlo Torok, Massimiliano Tretene, Andrea Vallinotto, Ross Vumbaca, Charles Warwick, Scott Wegner, Davy Wentzler, Colin Wenzel, Frank Wille, Heinz Wrobel, Tony Wyatt and Detlef Würkner.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 17:51:39
#42 ]
Elite Member

@xeron

Just to add...that list is not complete.
Perhaps it's an official listing, but there were others.

xeron 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 18:15:46
#43 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@number6

I know. I'm on the list

wawa 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 18:20:20
#44 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero: to me both the sides are worth each other. realize has not violated tos perhaps but he is provoking and the others are dumb enough to go after him.

what concerns hyperion as long as they dont share with the community and make it cosa nostra there is no reason for anyone who isnt directly involved to support what they do. it is a commercial product (or at least it is handled as such) and i decide to get it or not, based on its features. charity is for those who really need it.

@number6: the list seem to contain pretty much everyone that contibuted to os4 or even os3 over the years. for instance thomas richter, i dont think he is part of the team. not that i asked him but everybody can, on natami site, hes visiting there. most likely he was comissioned for something years ago and os4 contains some of his code, or even not as much.

Hondo 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 19:15:30
#45 ]

@realize

Quote:
How funny is hostility when asking for os4 news?

Well maybe if you understood and apologised for being SUPER OVERLY NEGATIVE against OS4 for many years, then maybe some devs would actually answer you (can you hear the silence? )

Last edited by Hondo on 10-Dec-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Last edited by Hondo on 10-Dec-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 19:18:50
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo
Maybe i should take back what i said about me taking back my claim that he was a troll...

number6 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 19:40:39
#47 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
@number6:
the list seem to contain pretty much everyone that contibuted to os4 or even os3 over the years.

Right, but I'm using Olaf's definition:

Quote:
That's difficult. I'm a member of the development group, but I am not involved in management, never was. The best I can do for you is give you a list of the people who have, over the years, worked on and contributed to the AmigaOS 4 project:

There were quite a number of helpers on the "project" level, that would not appear on Olaf's list.

zerohero 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 19:48:28
#48 ]
Team Member

@Hondo

I suggest you edit your post a little bit. While your opinion is nothing I can do anything about, flaming another user is.

zerohero 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 19:54:17
#49 ]
Team Member

@Tomas

Quote:
I have mixed opinions about this. Hyperion used to be more open, but that led to people flaming them whenever they went even slightly past deadline and we had people actually suggesting that they dont announce anything or any dates before it is ready.

Hyperion is a company. It is not a person. It shouldn't matter if some people post bad stuff about them on some forum. What matters is how they present themselves to their users and prospective buyers.

Mechanic 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 20:21:07
#50 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:

zerohero wrote:
Hyperion is a company. It is not a person. It shouldn't matter if some people post bad stuff about them on some forum. What matters is how they present themselves to their users and prospective buyers.

So when some bottom feeder makes a statement like;

'Hyperion is nothing but a bunch of liars'

They are talking about a company, not the people with that company?

cha05e90 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 20:24:16
#51 ]

@zerohero

A Company? Yes. But I've seen a lot of not-so-nice stuff getting pretty personal. It's not that easy to switch seamless from "Company" mode to "personal" mode and vice versa - in the end the situation is as the situation is. Even two hundred more threads about "defeaning silence" won't alter anything. And: The MorphOS team isn't screaming out "breaking news" every 2 weeks either. Every now and then comes an update - some of the MorphOS developers communicate through forums - helping here and answering questins there. And that's it. I can't see that much difference between both. And *I* can perfectly live with it. And some more on topic: I would guess the answer is something like "No. No news. Still working." Would that be sufficient?

cha05e90 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 20:24:51
#52 ]

@Mechanic

Last edited by cha05e90 on 09-Dec-2010 at 08:25 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 20:32:45
#53 ]
Team Member

@Mechanic

No, they're talking about the people, obviously. Still, Hyperion is a business, they shouldn't argue with the users. They should behave like a company. If they decide on the silent route, then that's fine, if they decide on being more open, they should get used to the fact that not everyone will agree with what they do.

While I agree this particular userbase is fubar Hyperion, the company, have chosen to stay and do what they do. They even fought in court to do this. They have known the playfield for years and years, it shouldn't be news to them. I've supported them with my money and bought their product, yet I'm treated like dirt sometimes. How do you think they treat those they think are trolls?

That's bad business right there...

zerohero 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 20:36:59
#54 ]
Team Member

@cha05e90

No, MorphOS-Team hardly ever give out news either, but what has that got to do with one user asking about AmigaOS 4.x news?

The difference, as I see it, is that the MorphOS-Team is not a company, they're a bunch of people working together. Granted they're sometimes arrogant towards their userbase as well, but that's none of my concern, it doesn't happen here on AW.Net.

EDIT:
Added "sometimes"...

Last edited by zerohero on 09-Dec-2010 at 08:41 PM.

nikosidis 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 20:42:37
#55 ]
Cult Member

I rem.. Hyperion used to reply to some threads etc. but they stoped since people started to
speculate about everything they said.
They then made an anouncement that they would stop posting to forums etc.

I guess they just kept their word about that ;)

I still understand it is frustrating waiting while there are so many things that should be updated
in the OS and that the time plans are pretty much never kept. But that is nothing special for
Hyperion. That is just real world.

Keep in mind that Hyperion might be the best AmigaOS owners and I'm sure they will do all they
can to please the users. Still their buget must be very limited.

ssolie 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 20:48:31
#56 ]
Elite Member

@realize
Quote:
What is the status of Amiga os 4.2? We have not heard much if anything from your company in regards to the latest upgrade to the awesome Amiga operating system...

The last news item posted regarding the next major version of AmigaOS involved adding support for SMP, Gallium3D support and other features. This was announced at AmiWest 2010 and I posted a news item about it.

There is no further public information available at this time. When information does become available it will be posted as a news item.

ssolie 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 20:51:28
#57 ]
Elite Member

@number6
Quote:
Just to add...that list is not complete.

There are plans to publish a much more complete list of credits in the future.

Suffice it to say there are a lot of people involved in Amiga OS and it is truly a large team effort by many highly skilled individuals.

Mechanic 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 21:16:55
#58 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:

zerohero wrote:
@Mechanic

No, they're talking about the people, obviously.

Very well then.

Make sure, as a moderator, that such activity does not go unchecked as there have been
too many instances of such on these forums.

Civility must go both ways. Would you agree?
(answer not required)

zerohero 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 21:19:25
#59 ]
Team Member

@Mechanic

Quote:

Civility must go both ways. Would you agree?
(answer not required)

I will anyway. Look at this thread, who attacked first?

TiredofLife 
Posted on 9-Dec-2010 21:22:46
#60 ]

@zerohero

Quote:

zerohero wrote:
@thread

WOW! Amigans.net closes and we're overrun by red trolls trying to label another user troll. You guys certainly are a nice bunch of people...

realize has every right to ask where AmigaOS 4.2 is, and why there are no news. While he can't demand an answer from anyone I'd agree with him that there's been very little real AmigaOS 4.x news. Certainly not much to play with anyway. There has been a lot of future promises though.

So calm down, take a deep breath, or a few hundred, before you post next time. Not everything is a war that must be won.

You might want to take your own advice.
Overun is a massive exaggeration and the implication that Amigans.net is full off trolls is not justified.
Also there is no justification for saying that posters in this thread are only here because Amigans.net is down.
The posters in this thread have all been members here for a considerable amount of time before Amigans went down, and are regular posters here.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle