Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 169 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 miggymac:  16 mins ago
 Gunnar:  44 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 cncparts:  4 hrs 26 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 13 mins ago
 Beajar:  5 hrs 32 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 34 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Its there C-USA will sell A1000 A2000 A3000..under Workbench 5.0
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
Arko 
Re: Its there C-USA will sell A1000 A2000 A3000..under Workbench 5.0
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 19:21:29
#181 ]

@amigang

Quote:

amigang wrote:

The whole reason and bases for the case is because Amiga Inc believe using the name would be damaging to its OS...

Oh I just believe they want to win a court case or get a settlement leading to a contract with more income from their IP, they did this once before.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 19:30:06
#182 ]
Elite Member

@ddni

CUSA can do whatever they want if they are not violating IPs, Trademarks etc...etc...

If they have the Amiga name they can slap it on anything they want; toilets, socks, pizzas, toothpaste, you name it, anything.

I honestly don't get the C64 machine (as you can do that yourself, and it has already been done a few times)

This is from seven years ago...

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/c64/

apart from this I think they will sell loads of computers but not to us lot,we are not their market. They will sell lots of machines to people who remember Commodore and the Amiga but left ages ago or newcomers who don't know what Commodore or Amiga were.

Last edited by TheDaddy on 14-Dec-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Last edited by TheDaddy on 14-Dec-2010 at 07:31 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 19:43:12
#183 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero Quote:
And so far it's not a scam, right? They have no product yet and have not taken anyone's money.

Oh, just like iWin then? errr, hang on...

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 19:50:14
#184 ]
Elite Member

@clebin Quote:
AROS has extended OS 3's abilities in just the same way OS 4 has. And it has failed to extend OS 3's abilities in the same way OS 4 has.

Sadly for AROS, that is not the whole story: AROS has had to reimplement AmigaOS3.1 from scratch, and still misses quite a few OS3.1 features. Where-as AmigaOS4 was built on-top of OS3.1, and so has (as close as makes no difference) all the features of OS3.1.

(Yes, AROS has still extended OS3.1, but it does so from an incomplete "base".)

There's no need to make AROS to be out more complete than it is, or it will just get people disappointed when they try it, and then not bother to look at it again.

Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Dec-2010 at 07:55 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 19:53:36
#185 ]
Elite Member

@ironfist Quote:
This is the true Amiga. The brand is everything!

No, the source code is everything...

Leo 
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 21:08:05
#186 ]

Quote:

No, the source code is everything...

You're wrong.

I don't see how you could see a difference between "i = 1000; while (i--) ;" and "for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++) ;"

They do the same, but source code is different.

Very much like you wouldn't see a difference between MorphOS executing 68k code and OS4 executing 68k code, if you were objective that is...

I'm pretty sure you'd be the first to say OS4 x86 wouldn't be AmigaOS if it was ever ported to x86... even though most of the (high level) source code would be the same...

Last edited by Leo on 14-Dec-2010 at 09:10 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 21:18:30
#187 ]
Elite Member

@Leo Quote:
I'm pretty sure you'd be the first to say OS4 x86 wouldn't be AmigaOS if it was ever ported to x86... even though most of the (high level) source code would be the same...

Shows how wrong you are then. If you search you will find that I think OS4 on x86 would be great... I just don't think it is practical for Hyperion given their budgetary constraints (and time, and perhaps technology too if you want it to be backwards compatible).

As to your shameless OS4 vs MOS snark: A totally irrelevant and (somewhat transparent) attempt at starting another flamewar was so-so, 3/10 for effort, please try again. Or alternatively do something constructive.

But here's a hint: I was replying to the suggestion that Linux/etc branded an Amigas was an Amiga as much as anything else (and also the implication that the only thing of importance about OS4 was it's brand name, which is of course ridiculous). I never mentioned MOS, although the poster was a MOS fan, so you might like to take issue with them rather than me.

Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Dec-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Dec-2010 at 09:20 PM.

abalaban 
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 23:30:36
#188 ]

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
I don't see how you could see a difference between "i = 1000; while (i--) ;" and "for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++) ;"

They do the same, but source code is different.

Technically they are *not* doing the same : one is counting forward from 0 to 999 and while the other is counting backward from 1000 down to 1...
And if you were going really technical a while loop isn't generated the same way a for loop is, so at assembly level they would not do the same either (that is even if you weren't mistaken).

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Dec-2010 23:46:46
# ]

@ChrisH

Completeness isn't the issue IMO. You say it lacks 'quite a few OS3.1 features'. Mostly it lacks printing (the biggy) and classic Amiga hardware support (which are redundant on x86, but are being worked on for the 68k port). I started a thread in March because I wanted to find out more about this:

AROS & AmigaOS 3.1 - what's missing?

I'm all for a fair appraisal of AROS and I know it's far from perfect. Stability and Zune bugs are the biggest problems I have with it, but that's a separate topic. AROS could be a rock-solid OS 1.3 clone or a feature-complete OS 4.2 clone with bugs. Bugs and stability are not the same as being a 'clone', or being a 3.x era OS.

OS 4 hasn't done anything significant enough to create a generational gap between it and AROS. It has new features, but likewise AROS has USB 2.0, wi-fi and accelerated graphics which OS 4 doesn't have yet.

If OS 4 gets memory protection and resource tracking, then I'd be the first to say it belongs to a newer generation. But right now some people use OS3.1 as a stick to beat AROS with. They ignore that it's the same story with OS 4. That's what I take issue with.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 14-Dec-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 14-Dec-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Report this post  
linnar 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 6:15:39
#190 ]
Cult Member

I have now read the Commodore's website.
This looks really promising! One of the nicest websites I've seen!

We can finally see the end of the long wait!

What I dreamed of is an Amiga that can run all the classic Amiga program. What do we get? Well, we get a machine that can run all of the Commodore classic programs and forwards, in addition, the run all Windows programs. Some of the software through an emulator seamlessly.

This was better than I expected!

C64 looks cool out and such, one can not fail to buy.

There may be two new computers in my home to come.

We now continue where we left off in 1994, come on!

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 7:13:45
#191 ]

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
What I dreamed of is an Amiga that can run all the classic Amiga program. What do we get? Well, we get a machine that can run all of the Commodore classic programs and forwards, in addition, the run all Windows programs. Some of the software through an emulator seamlessly.

We now continue where we left off in 1994, come on!

ROFLMAO!!!

I 'll bait and comment: Where the #### is the originality in the above? It is x86 components where you can buy everywhere on the world and it will dual boot windows and a customized Linux version. You will run Amiga Software ONLY under emulation and not natively.

We haven't stopped continue from 1994 with all these people behind AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.x.

pavlor 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 7:16:07
#192 ]
Elite Member

@kamelito

I don´t like black designs on the CommodoreUSA site (I´m little bit conservative in regard of design...). Also names of products are little bit confusing (Amiga 3000 should have 68030 and ECS, no? ).

However, I have nothing against Workbench 5 - if it supports proper screen dragging (of course...).

pavlor 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 7:18:34
#193 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:
OS 4 hasn't done anything significant enough to create a generational gap between it and AROS.

New memory system, virtual memory, 64bit DOS and "native" filesystem for bigger hardddisks and files...

neonlite 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 9:12:07
#194 ]

must ADMIT i'm interested in this Commodore project....

A1000 no matter what hardware is in it sounds promising with this new Workbench 5 OS idea....
dual booting between Windows and some Linux Amigalike distro with full back compability
with Amiga and Commodore is a dream...

if they manage to implement seamless windows software integration into this linux distro as they claim will be an option too(again through emulation?) it would be a perfect tricombo of linux-classic amiga/commodore-windows

I'm a big AmigaOS and Hyperion-AEon supporter but....
been waiting sooo long for an Amiga system that would fully exclude my PC windows machine(Sam doesn't do it for me, and X1000 is superb but really expensive)

I must admit this project sounds very interesting and promising...
I'll just have to wait and see what comes out of all these commodore USA promises...

but again,at least on paper,this Workbench 5 idea is very interesting, no matter what me and all you think at the moment

linnar 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 10:50:07
#195 ]
Cult Member

@Cool_amigaN

We do not necessarily have similar views on this but we can strive to love both Hyperion and Commedore.

I am convinced that both are needed, one sells to the mass and one sells to the initiated.

Anonymous 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 10:57:41
# ]

@pavlor

Quote:
New memory system, virtual memory, 64bit DOS and "native" filesystem for bigger hardddisks and files...

Sorry, I don't believe those are enough. You know what features I'm talking about, and they will probably require a break in compatibility.

Classic MacOS had virtual memory and memory-handling improved over the years. It was a bad implementation of virtual memory, but you could even buy a 3rd party replacement. MacOS 8.1 introduced HFS+ which is still being used in OS X 10.6. They added journalling and attribute stuff but it's basically the same file-system.

Does that make OS 8 or 9 a next-generation version of MacOS? No. Only OS X can be considered that. So this "AROS = 3.1, latest AmigaOS = 4.1" is just used as a convenient put-down IMHO.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 15-Dec-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Report this post  
linnar 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 11:03:08
#197 ]
Cult Member

@neonlite

Quote:

neonlite wrote:
must ADMIT i'm interested in this Commodore project....

A1000 no matter what hardware is in it sounds promising with this new Workbench 5 OS idea....
dual booting between Windows and some Linux Amigalike distro with full back compability
with Amiga and Commodore is a dream...

if they manage to implement seamless windows software integration into this linux distro as they claim will be an option too(again through emulation?) it would be a perfect tricombo of linux-classic amiga/commodore-windows

I'm a big AmigaOS and Hyperion-AEon supporter but....
been waiting sooo long for an Amiga system that would fully exclude my PC windows machine(Sam doesn't do it for me, and X1000 is superb but really expensive)

I must admit this project sounds very interesting and promising...
I'll just have to wait and see what comes out of all these commodore USA promises...

but again,at least on paper,this Workbench 5 idea is very interesting, no matter what me and all you think at the moment

Agree 100%

Nothing bad with Hyperion stuff they complements each other well I think.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 11:09:49
#198 ]

@linnar

Well, of course we can have different taste, but that's not what I am commenting.

CUSA will use x86 parts that are freely available to all of us, even right now, to your local store.

CUSA will use an emulator to run Amiga legacy software. Again this is available right now to all of us, aka WinUAE + AmigaSYS / Amikit or custom configurations, you name it.

CUSA will use a dual boot machine of Windows and Linux. Again this can be done right now in every x86 machine worldwide.

Apart from the new C64 chassis all others are generic, again, available right now.

Now, follow the below concept:

1) Fit a fully working Intel mItx under a A1200 chassis. make holes for the usb etc.
2) Customize a linux distro to make it look as much as possible like workbench using skins etc but not functionality i.e RAM icon, draggable screen etc.
3) Implement e-UAE pre-configs with AF/ASYS/AKit pre-installed
4) Setup dual boot windows and my custom linux *
5) Sell it to an unaware past amigan as the last machine Commodore ever produced!

* Or use something like KX Light that Cloanto has already done or like Amithlon etc.

See the problem?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 11:16:46
#199 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

He does NOT see the problem because he/she is biased. Simple.

Any opportunity to bash OS4/Hyperion/A-Eon and he/she is off like a rocket.

I personally don't hate CUSA but I am not sure about the C64...

1) It looks like a C64 but...it isn't!
2) It looks too 80s
3) you can do that yourself in less than a week with a Dremel
4) you can make it even better by using more powerful components.

For the rest, I think there is space for everyone.

pavlor 
Posted on 15-Dec-2010 11:17:07
#200 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

How much more time need AROS developers to achieve such level of features?

If less than 3 years, then you are right...

However, new memory system is in OS4 since 2006/2007, virtual memory and new filesystem since 2008. I don´t think we will see all these features in AROS in 2011.

Last edited by pavlor on 15-Dec-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle