Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 80 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 Hammer:  20 mins ago
 pixie:  22 mins ago
 kolla:  35 mins ago
 kriz:  44 mins ago
 clint:  45 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
PosterThread
Leo 
Re: The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Posted on 26-May-2011 21:34:17
#541 ]

Double post, please delete.

Last edited by Leo on 26-May-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Leo 
Posted on 26-May-2011 21:34:46
#542 ]

Quote:

both Win7 and SnowLeopard do not have even a code block "comment" in common with the original OSs

You're right... Windows should have stayed as a layer on top of DOS, and Mac should still be running the cooperative classic OS which could be brought down in a matter of seconds...

The same way the F1-2011 should be powered by the F1-1949 engines... New engines suck, and have no bolt in common with the original F1 anyway...

Or maybe not ?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-May-2011 6:26:22
#543 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

>>You're right... Windows should have stayed as a layer on top of DOS, and Mac should >>till be running the cooperative classic OS which could be brought down in a matter of >>seconds...

That is not what DAX is saying, I would read it carefully once more

opi 
Posted on 27-May-2011 9:24:36
#544 ]
Team Member

@resle

Quote:
to everyone who's writing me in private (quite a bunch of people I must say!) - I am not interested in running AmigaOS

Waaaay too funny.

ddni 
Posted on 27-May-2011 9:38:17
#545 ]
Cult Member

@resle

get ready for health a safety lawsuits from your employees...
Being made to use uncomfortable keyboards for hours on end is a recipe for trouble.

I foresee many repetitive strain injury claims!

eXec 
Posted on 27-May-2011 10:06:04
#546 ]
Cult Member

@ddni

placebo... ;)

damocles 
Posted on 27-May-2011 12:48:58
#547 ]

Barry has posted a update on commodore-amiga.org site.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-May-2011 12:54:38
#548 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

What is Commodore OS?

resle 
Posted on 27-May-2011 13:09:31
#549 ]
Cult Member

@opi

Uh... what's funny about it? :)

I just wrote that was interested in the commodore usa machines because of their design, and got a sled of suggestions on how I could have choose another kind of amiga machine if I want to run AmigaOS (which I never told I wanted to). That's all :)

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-May-2011 13:10:54
#550 ]
Elite Member

@opi

>>to everyone who's writing me in private (quite a bunch of people I must say!) - I am not >>interested in running AmigaOS

Waaaay too funny.

Must agree with you. It IS funny.

It's funny that there is no interest at all in AmigaOS nor in any of its various flavours (AROS, MOS etc...), nor Linux but just in a machine that is able to run Windows.

Funny that to get all this for a member of Amigaworld.net (since 2005) post number 25 is required on the very same Amigaworld.net.

Hilarious.

Last edited by TheDaddy on 27-May-2011 at 01:19 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-May-2011 13:14:36
#551 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

@damocles

What is Commodore OS?

I see you have already answered on amiga.org

So Commodore OS is Linux, thanks for the quick reply

damocles 
Posted on 27-May-2011 13:17:32
#552 ]

@TheDaddy

Quote:
So Commodore OS is Linux, thanks for the quick reply

COS 1.x series - Ubuntu. COS 2.x series, unknown.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 27-May-2011 13:24:50
#553 ]

@damocles

Yes, but...

C=OS will(for the 1.x series) be based on the same underpinnings as Ubuntu was... Debian + Gnome. Ubuntu is going the way of their new Unity desktop instead of Gnome 3(C=OS will remain on Gnome 2.x for now).

Leo is expecting first upgrade (v1.1) by the end of this year.

As for C=OS 2.0, beats me... I know they wanted to get new UI and possibly to do some kernel work, but it's a long way off and things may/will change.

resle 
Posted on 27-May-2011 13:27:01
#554 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

As I explained in my first post on this thread, I knew I wasn't exactly in-line with the Amigaworld philosophy, but I still wanted to take my chance to get an answer from one of the CUSA executives, seeing that they posted on this forum.

Anyway, I am equally puzzled by all the interest of the people here for Linux systems running on "Amiga" machines, and "Amiga" operating systems running on various architectures, but I would never call their interest hilarious or condemn it in any way. That's exactly the kind of attitude that shrinks a culture into a cult.

By the way, I still own two separate notebooks, one completely dedicated to C64 emulation, and the other to Amiga (both equipped with a miminal linux setup which boots directly into version of vice and euae which I personally modified and recompiled)... so I still look at myself at a good son of the Commodore Era ;)

opi 
Posted on 27-May-2011 13:37:31
#555 ]
Team Member

@resle

Quote:
Uh... what's funny about it? :)

People who came forward to show you The True Path of Amiga (CUSA is consider Satan by some). You may say I'm Amiga's atheist when they are religious followers of bouncing balls. Anyway, you'd need catch up on 15 years of infighting to get all our jokes.

Mechanic 
Posted on 27-May-2011 13:40:07
#556 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Quote:

resle wrote:

As I explained in my first post on this thread, I knew I wasn't exactly in-line with the Amigaworld philosophy, but I still wanted to take my chance to get an answer from one of the CUSA executives, seeing that they posted on this forum.

By the way, I still own two separate notebooks, one completely dedicated to C64 emulation, and the other to Amiga (both equipped with a miminal linux setup which boots directly into version of vice and euae which I personally modified and recompiled)... so I still look at myself at a good son of the Commodore Era ;)

That's cool.

What is funny is posting a message for your doctor on a machine shop
bulletin board, and getting results there.

resle 
Posted on 27-May-2011 14:02:20
#557 ]
Cult Member

@opi ... but, actually @everyone

Hah, right :) But honestly, without asking you the effort to make me catch up with the whole fifteen years conflict... what's SO wrong about CUSA for such "crusaders"?

There's a fact here: Amiga is clearly dead as a mainstream computing platform - and definitely alive as a culture. Companies like Hyperion invest into keeping that culture alive from the SOFTWARE point of view, with an os that is reminiscent of the Amiga point of view on computing, and get (rightfully) applauded for that. They can do that, because in terms of computational power/modern usability, Amiga lags a lot behind, but it's still useful - or usable at least. You can browse a good portion of the internet, you can listen music, watch decently-encoded movies, etc.

C64 died as a mainstream computing platform ages before amiga. While someone could still debate about amiga, C64 is as dead as a pharaoh can be, from that point of view. But again, it still lives a culture, I've personally experienced that it even manages to catch the interest of teens who never saw the machine in real life. Enter C.USA - what are they trying to do? They can't keep the c64 culture alive leveraging software - no one could, of course. So what did they think? "Let's keep it alive on the DESIGN front".

Philosophically, CUSA's intent is the same as Hyperion's. You may say "yeah but a Commodore Usa's machine is'nt as useful as Amiga Os 4.0, which is a working piece of software". That's both true, and false - because as a matter of fact the X86 architecture inside the c64 machines can run a myriad of OSes that are far more modern and productive than AmigaOS 4.0.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-May-2011 14:04:49
#558 ]
Elite Member

@resle

>>As I explained in my first post on this thread, I knew I wasn't exactly in-line with the Amigaworld philosophy, but I still wanted to take my chance to get an answer from one of the CUSA executives, seeing that they posted on this forum.

Exactly, which points out the absurdity of it all. To reach your goal of obtaining the needed stuff you had to go through amigaworld.net

>>Anyway, I am equally puzzled by all the interest of the people here for Linux

There are a few heretics around...

>>but I would never call their interest hilarious or condemn it in any way. That's exactly the kind of attitude that shrinks a culture into a cult.

Matter of opinon, I would never call amigans elitist or a cult

>>so I still look at myself at a good son of the Commodore Era ;)

Good for you.

Last edited by TheDaddy on 27-May-2011 at 02:29 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-May-2011 14:27:45
#559 ]
Elite Member

@resle

>>There's a fact here: Amiga is clearly dead as a mainstream computing platform

Really?

>>Companies like Hyperion invest into keeping that culture alive from the >>SOFTWARE point of view, with an os that is reminiscent of the Amiga point of view >>on computing

Reminiscent...what a nasty word...surely more Amiga than Linux.

>> Philosophically, CUSA's intent is the same as Hyperion's.

No and let's not try to explain everything philosophically or I'll puke.

>>You may say "yeah but a Commodore Usa's machine is'nt as useful as Amiga Os 4.0

Nobody of mental and sane condition would even hazard such expression

>>as a matter of fact the X86 architecture inside the c64 machines can run a myriad of OSes that are far more modern and productive than AmigaOS 4.0.

So what? My PC with Windows on ####es all over a Mac or any other PC running any myriad of OSes that are far more modern and productive. What kind of comparison is that?

One runs on PPC the other on cheap as chips hardware that you find anywhere from high street shops to tips (especially the latter).

One has at least some of the Amiga OS DNA the other doesn't.

persia 
Posted on 27-May-2011 14:39:38
#560 ]

@resle

But if an Amiga is a PC or Linux box what's the point of Amiga enthusiasts? There really aren't Asus, Dell or HP enthusiasts. If C=USA succeed then Amiga becomes a known name but the need for AmigaWorld.net disappears. It's a PC, like 90% of all the other personal computers out there. If I have an issue with a spreadsheet or database on a PC Amiga I wouldn't look for Amiga, I'd look for something that matched the Word Processor or Database. It removes all reason to continue to be an Amiga enthusiast.

It's the same thing for the C64, it wasn't the design that made it originally popular, frankly the design sucked. It was bulky and hard to type on. I bought a C64 in spite of the design because a) it was cheap and b) I got the ability to write my own programs, right there at the prompt. A C64 PC carries all the design disadvantages with none of the price and user advantages. It's faux retro.

C=USA and Hyperion are on different paths, C=USA is trying to kill the Amiga and Commodore by making them just another PC brand, Hyperion is trying to kill the Amiga by make it run on obscure expensive hardware.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle