Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  25 mins ago
 Hammer:  34 mins ago
 Birbo:  49 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 MarcioD:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 NancyNash:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Nibiru, what if ? - part 2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 Next Page )
PosterThread
Niolator 
Re: Anybody remember Nibiru?
Posted on 12-Nov-2012 8:27:45
#2701 ]

To reconnect to the title of the thread, Niburu that is. Shouldn't we be seeing it now if it existed? Lets say it has a size similar to Earth and Venus. If it was in say, the triple distance of Venus we should be able to see it with our bare eyes. Say that Venus is 0,5 AU away on average. If we can't see Niburu yet it has to be at least 2 AU´s away. If Niburu is to reach us on the 21 of december it has to head straight at us at a speed of about 60 km/s. That is about the double speed of the Earths speed as it revolves around the Sun.

Isn't it time to scrap the whole Niburu story? Where would the planet have gotten it's momentum from? Also, every day that passes and we don't detect Niburu the needed speed would increase.

I am also a strong critic to prophecies of any kind. If any of them were to come true the free will of humans vanish right away according to my view. If someone says that a thing will happen long before it does and it actually do happen nothing we do or say will affect the events that occur becuse they are obviously already decided. Then our free will is just an illusion.

Last edited by Niolator on 12-Nov-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 12-Nov-2012 8:49:40
#2702 ]
Elite Member

@Niolator

The other day I even saw a reference to a planetary alignment happening this year.

Seriously, planets don't suddenly align out of nowhere. They're nowhere near aligned now, they won't be anywhere near aligned in a months time. Yet people actually believe this stuff.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

BrianK 
Posted on 12-Nov-2012 16:23:11
#2703 ]
Elite Member

SuperSymmetry dealt another blow. another Standard Model observation

BrianK 
Posted on 12-Nov-2012 16:28:31
#2704 ]
Elite Member

@olegil & Niolator

Yes if Niburu has the properties the believers claim it does we'd see it by now.

As for planetary alignments they happen all the time.

Good viewing: Neil Degrasse Tyson on Niburu

Niolator 
Posted on 13-Nov-2012 11:54:13
#2705 ]

@BrianK

I know planetary alignments happen all the time but Niburus speed would be very high, especially if it comes from the outer solar system. The further out the slower is the speed of celestial bodies. It would mean that it has a propulsive system or maybe it's guided by an evil deity?

BrianK 
Posted on 13-Nov-2012 12:49:12
#2706 ]
Elite Member

@Niolator

If my memory serves some Nibiru believers think it's really a spaceship that has a scheduled trip through our solar system. I'd compare it to a bus. Perhaps the bus is late. I hope they don't clear the Earth to make way for a hypergalatic bypass.

If you haven't seen it yet the Phil Plait site on Planet X goes into a lot of analyzing this postulate with the current science. It includes your claim we'd see Nibiru by now. We would. And not only that it'd be one of the brightest objects in our sky.

Last edited by BrianK on 13-Nov-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 14-Nov-2012 16:24:26
#2707 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
SuperSymmetry dealt another blow. another Standard Model observation

SUSY comes roaring back to life...
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre8ab1b0-us-cern/

Lou 
Posted on 14-Nov-2012 16:25:44
#2708 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:

Karlos wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Yes, people with no credentials often make such statements...

Does having credentials preclude one from being able to make mistakes?

No but how does the reverse play out? Does having no credentials mean you know more than others?

Lou 
Posted on 14-Nov-2012 16:26:27
#2709 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Yes, people with no credentials often make such statements.

Do you want to do this dance again?!

An appeal to authority is a logical fallacy. Its akin to science creating Bishops of unquestionable authority. Instead science cares not about credentials.

When describing reality (no matter your credentials) your work must stand up against the universe. Your work must be able to make accurate predictions about the universe. Your work must be backed up by replicable, verifiable, and validated observational data.

A great example is the Nobel Chemist winning Linus Pauling. He made some claims that were able to stand up to the test of time. It earned him a Nobel prize. He, also, made some claims about the nature of Vitamin C being a curative for Cancer. Which has not been able to stand up to evidence and left him disgraced. Just because this Nobel winning Dr. said X doesn't mean X is true. In fact, science uses reality to validate if the Nobel Dr. was right.

So likewise I ask you what work has Dr. Brandenburg's EM_is_God postulates demonstrate that was not done before?

If you want to argue I have no credentials. I'll agree that's true. But, it doesn't mean we get to let the good Dr. Brandenburg make claims and must accept them on faith. They still must be fact checked against reality.

Which this all harkens back to my statements that I can make some really pretty maths which logically follow from themselves. However, there is no dictate that reality must abide to my (or anyone else's) pretty mathemathics. I also recently provided how someone else recently showed my statement to be true Rlyeh math is pretty and not found in reality

This whole thread has been a dance. About time you realized it.

Lou 
Posted on 14-Nov-2012 16:30:00
#2710 ]
Elite Member

@Niolator

Quote:

Niolator wrote:
To reconnect to the title of the thread, Niburu that is. Shouldn't we be seeing it now if it existed? Lets say it has a size similar to Earth and Venus. If it was in say, the triple distance of Venus we should be able to see it with our bare eyes. Say that Venus is 0,5 AU away on average. If we can't see Niburu yet it has to be at least 2 AU´s away. If Niburu is to reach us on the 21 of december it has to head straight at us at a speed of about 60 km/s. That is about the double speed of the Earths speed as it revolves around the Sun.

Isn't it time to scrap the whole Niburu story? Where would the planet have gotten it's momentum from? Also, every day that passes and we don't detect Niburu the needed speed would increase.

I am also a strong critic to prophecies of any kind. If any of them were to come true the free will of humans vanish right away according to my view. If someone says that a thing will happen long before it does and it actually do happen nothing we do or say will affect the events that occur becuse they are obviously already decided. Then our free will is just an illusion.

The originator of all 'Niburu' lore himseld - Z. Sitchin - said Niburu isn't due until ~2900AD. All that is happening at the end of the Mayan calendar, which some people actually calculated to have ended LAST YEAR, is we are at the galactic center and the calendar needs to start over.

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Nov-2012 17:40:30
#2711 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
"The mutation was predicted under the so-called Standard Model" -- You know that thing you told us that doesn't work or find anything.

As for SuperSymmetry it brings it to the front for research. It didn't show SUSY as right but ankled we should check into it. Who knows what we find. We may find it works in some cases and does not in others. Always good to check all corners. But, like anything else we do not accept as true until the evidence is there to demonstrate it being true.

Quote:
No but how does the reverse play out? Does having no credentials mean you know more than others?
Science neither accepts nor rejects based on credentials or lack therefore. It accepts or rejects based upon evidence. So indeed having no credentials doesn't mean you can't do legitimate science. As this 12 year old researcher indicates.

You claimed you believe in Brandenburg's math because his degree is different than Nimrod's degree. What degree has no relevance. It's accuracy of use of mathematical formulas and rules that is relevancy. And the problem was demonstrated when comparing Brandenburg's results to that of reality. We saw how his predicted values were thousands of times incongruent to directly observed values. Indeed that's a huge problem.

Last edited by BrianK on 14-Nov-2012 at 07:12 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Nov-2012 19:17:11
#2712 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
we are at the galactic center and the calendar needs to start over.
The Galatic Center is defined as the rotational point around which the Milky Way (our galaxy) rotates. Neither the earth, nor the sun, nor our solar system is anywhere close to the Galactic Center. Our solar system is roughly 25K Light years from the Galatic Center.

Nimrod 
Posted on 14-Nov-2012 19:48:14
#2713 ]

@Niolator

Lou states that
Quote:
The originator of all 'Niburu' lore himseld - Z. Sitchin - said Niburu isn't due until ~2900AD
however the fact that he conveniently 'forgets' is that Sitchins tales of Nibiru have less basis in fact than Tolkiens "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Sitchin has exactly as much credibility as Von Daniken, and that is a negative quantity. The entire reason that Lou is bringing up all of these alternatives to science is that science disproves the possibility that Sitchin could have any validity. He would rather accept the unevidenced statements of one man who has no credentials than accept the weight of evidence. and part of this means that he attacks my credentials, even though he hasn't got a clue what my level of credentials is, because I have only ever cited evidence, not credentials, or the lack thereof.

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Nov-2012 21:58:21
#2714 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Perhaps Lou does truly know how full of nothing Stichin's stories are. Afterall he did call it lore. Such as the lore of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox . And the lore of 'Brown Mountain Lights' which Natives claimed to be spirits and Americans claimed to be a spectral locomotive. Often time lores are just that something real with an imaginary cause. Certainly the clear lack of evidence in the way of aliens creates a lore not unlike Paul Bunyan or Fairies would likewise support.

Last edited by BrianK on 14-Nov-2012 at 10:02 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 15-Nov-2012 14:22:49
#2715 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Here's another article
This decay pathway is so rare that the Standard Model predicts that it should occur only 3.5 times for every billion B meson decays. The rate measured at LHCb comes out to be 3.23 times per every billion. Within experimental errors, the two values match. That means that, at least as far as we can measure, the Standard Model nails this prediction. The result is that this seemingly takes "some of the simpler (and therefore more appealing) versions of supersymmetry off the table"

Also they're refining Higgs and again it's matching the Standard Model predictions. "the presentations from other detector teams at the meeting are indicating that the Higgs looks like the Standard Model predicts it should"

This was from data taken before the summer shutdown. The LHC is up and running again. It appears more than double the data is now available. I'm sure well into spring 2013 and beyond we'll see announcements of varying sorts as humans continue to shift through the large amount of observed events.

EDIT: Stupid AW site needs a space between url string and quote markings.

Last edited by BrianK on 15-Nov-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Last edited by BrianK on 15-Nov-2012 at 02:23 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 15-Nov-2012 14:29:50
#2716 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

And science does look at the alternative postulates to the Dark Matter postulate. Turns out that MOdified Newtonian Dynamics doesn't appear to completely explain things either. Which is great! It means we keep looking.

BillE 
Posted on 15-Nov-2012 20:30:35
#2717 ]

@Lou

Quote:

Where do you get this bollox from, the sun is well away from the galactic centre (spelled correctly) and this will not change significantly for millions if not milliards (you yanks call them billions, ours are 1000 times bigger) years.

Can you provide me with the latest orbital elements of this Niburu so I can model its approach in Digital Universe. It would be very interesting to observe it.

This thread is almost as crazy as the BigD one !

Niolator 
Posted on 15-Nov-2012 23:28:04
#2718 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
The Galatic Center is defined as the rotational point around which the Milky Way (our galaxy) rotates. Neither the earth, nor the sun, nor our solar system is anywhere close to the Galactic Center. Our solar system is roughly 25K Light years from the Galatic Center.

Yes, I reacted against that too. I suppose Lou means that the Sun has revolved around the center of the galaxy a full revolution. The problem with that thinking is that the Mayan calendar has nothing to do with a galactic year at all. The Mayan calendar is about 5200 year long per revolution but a galactic year is about 240 million earth years.

Lou 
Posted on 16-Nov-2012 2:47:21
#2719 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

And science does look at the alternative postulates to the Dark Matter postulate. Turns out that MOdified Newtonian Dynamics doesn't appear to completely explain things either. Which is great! It means we keep looking.

Recall MOND is something you proposed last year.

Lou 
Posted on 16-Nov-2012 2:50:28
#2720 ]
Elite Member

@Niolator

Quote:

Niolator wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:

Yes, I reacted against that too. I suppose Lou means that the Sun has revolved around the center of the galaxy a full revolution. The problem with that thinking is that the Mayan calendar has nothing to do with a galactic year at all. The Mayan calendar is about 5200 year long per revolution but a galactic year is about 240 million earth years.

There are multiple calendars. Somewhere in this thread there is a link to a lecture on "the Mayan calendar"...

Last edited by Lou on 16-Nov-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle