Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 145 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  13 mins ago
 Rob:  50 mins ago
 billt:  59 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Developers!!! ,Developers!!!, Developers!!!, Developers!!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Developers!!! ,Developers!!!, Developers!!!, Developers!!!
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 6:15:58
# ]

@choochy

I might port a game to Amiga OS4. I have one in mind.

I am currently building an UML/Visio-type application in Java. I might make it native to AmigaOS4.

Report this post  
amipal 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 12:27:14
#42 ]

@choochy
I'd love to develop anything, but my coding skills are next to non-existent.

@DrBombcrater
Pray tell why you need a fast 3D card like the Radeon9800 on a platform where the most advance 3D engine out there is Quake 2?

Profile     Report this post  
HolgerB 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 21:01:32
#43 ]

I am really looking forward developing for our beloved OS, once I've
got an AmigaONE with OS4 (I should really order mine next week).

But it might take some time until I am able to produce something
really usefull. My C/C++ skills are not that good and I have not done
any Amiga-specific coding yet - so I will first do some smaller
projects for myself to learn the most important things. But I think
that won't take too long. At least I'm already programming for quite
some time in various languages and it's not the first time I am
touching C++...

Most important for lots of native programs is good documentation with
many examples (IMHO). There are quite a few people willing to program
- but many of them might stop before they have really begun if its too
hard to get started.

shoe 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 22:11:26
#44 ]

@shadow

Quote:

shadow wrote:
@choochy

Quote:

Just a quick question, how many of us are going to start developing when the pre-release with dev tools is released?

I am gonna start.

Quote:

and what type of apps/games are you writing?

I will port GLMatrix and some of the other screensavers in xscreensaver. Maybe with one unified gui for selecting screensaver and options.

Howhaaa.. I'm really looking forward to that!

I noticed that in a recent version of xscreensaver that had that awesome OSX-alike saver where a "colorful-blur" fades across the screen. OpenGL of course. I'd love that one on my beloved Amiga!

/shoe

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 22:29:29
#45 ]

@amipal

Quote:
Pray tell why you need a fast 3D card like the Radeon9800 on a platform where the most advance 3D engine out there is Quake 2?

If we can't use more advanced cards there will never be any advanced 3D engines. Nobody is going to waste large amounts of time and effort writing or porting a good 3D engine if the best hardware available to run it is a bottom-of-the-pile card like the 7500.

There's also the question of availability: 7500s are getting increasingly scarce now. None of the local retail outlets here have any, neither did any of the on-line dealers I checked (dabs, simply, watford & aria).

By the time OS4 ships what little stock there is may well have dried up, leaving us looking a shelves full of cheap, fast Radeons we can't use

emeck 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 22:30:32
#46 ]
Cult Member

@shadow

Quote:
I will port GLMatrix and some of the other screensavers in xscreensaver. Maybe with one unified gui for selecting screensaver and options.

YES!!

Any chance of making one that can display ramdom PDB files?

The_Editor 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 23:06:27
#47 ]
Elite Member

@DrBombcrater

So use a Radeon 8500, or better .. Whats the big deal ? My Pc is used for non linear editing .. Can (and has) earned a shyte load of money, But NLE is still only 2D !!

Well, I can't speak for anyone else but if I can do NLE on my amigaOne with my Radeon 8500 (or any card, come to that) I will be one happy bunny.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 23:32:58
#48 ]

@The_Editor

Quote:
Well, I can't speak for anyone else but if I can do NLE on my amigaOne with my Radeon 8500 (or any card, come to that) I will be one happy bunny.

I'm glad the lack of 3D capability doesn't trouble you, but it troubles me a lot. It's a huge disadvantage for a (almost!) new platform.

I have a nasty feeling too many Amiga users never go out of the 'software-rendered Quake is good enough' mindset, and have no idea just how useful hardware 3D can be these days. It isn't just about playing games anymore.

It's also not be best incentive for people to port 3D software to OS4: "Please, Mr NewTek, port Lightwave to OS4. I know we only support three cruddy, slow, out-of-date graphics cards, but that's really not a problem..."

Convincer 
Posted on 22-Feb-2004 1:04:23
#49 ]

@choochy

I already started to programming for AmigaOS 4.0 together with AmigaPapst and we will release some tools and many games.

We nearly finished ANotice. It`s an notice program for your workbench with many features. If you want to see an example window, you`ll can download the screenshots:

http://www.amiga-news.com/anotice_window.png
http://www.amiga-news.com/anotice_vergleich.png

blmara 
Posted on 22-Feb-2004 21:51:18
#50 ]

@choochy

Yes, I'm going to port my BibVision bible viewer to os4.0. Whenever I have time I'll look my multi-year project on editing & printing some music.

Marko

salass00 
Posted on 23-Feb-2004 9:25:11
#51 ]
Elite Member

@choochy

LOL I was afraid this would be another "Amiga needs M$ support thread" , I'm glad it wasn't .
Quote:
Just a quick question, how many of us are going to start developing when the pre-release with dev tools is released?

I've already started .
Quote:
and what type of apps/games are you writing?

Well I have quite a few ideas and also a few projects I'm working on but I think it may be a bit too early going into any detail yet, so I won't (at least not yet). Also my main PC has been sent for repairs and it just happens the latest version of the source code was on its harddrive (which I still have though), so I'm having a bit trouble adding new stuff to it.

Anyway here are some screenshots of the program I've been working on the most recently (from oldest to newest): 1 2 3.

What can't unfortunately be seen from those screenshots is that the program is actually multi-threaded in that it spawns a new subprocess for every window, that takes care of more intensive tasks (input handling is still mostly handled by the main process though), and the menus that can be customised the way you want them by editing a simple text file (I also intend to add customiseable button banks to the project windows too).

The formats currently supported (for loading) are: IFF-8SVX, IFF-AIFF, IFF-AIFC (not compressed) and RIFF-WAVE (only PCM, and no fancy list chunks are supported yet either). IFF-8SVX seems to be the only loader that can also handle stereo (I actually thought this one would be the hardest to do since the channels are stored separately), I think it's due to some bug in the routines but I've yet to find it .

shoe 
Posted on 23-Feb-2004 10:16:49
#52 ]

I just wanted to say that this is exactly what makes the Amiga platform so special.. You really make a diffrence here. One small port of a program, or a brand new game. Everything gets noticed!

Go go go !

/shoe

nzv58l 
Posted on 24-Feb-2004 17:46:18
#53 ]

@salass00

It's good to see your working on something... Your example screen shots look like they are for some kind of sound program. Does this mean that the pre-OS 4 will have a voice?

shoe 
Posted on 24-Feb-2004 20:42:13
#54 ]

Hey Guys,

As you might have seen we've announced A.D.P. at AmiGBG this year. Our hope is that we will be able to present as many new applications and games as possible there.

Wouldn't it be great to have a list of new projects for the new Amiga?! I remember the front page of a Swedish magazine called Datormagazin a few years back. It said "123 new games presented".. I think it was computer trade show in London. Must have been 92-93 or something.

We might not be able to break that number, but still from what I've seen so far in this forum we do have quite a few newcomers. So please, pm me or send an email to shoe@acggbg.org and maybe we could prepare some formal way of presenting all the new ports'n projects popping up.

God love Amiga!

Sincerely,
/Stefan (oh man, I really made this sound serious didn't I )

CanGuy 
Posted on 24-Feb-2004 21:59:43
#55 ]

@shoe

from the website:
Here is a list of highlights we´ll be presenting:
-C/C++ programming in AmigaOS.
-3D programming and raytracing.
-OpenGL programming.
-UniversalSpace.NET developers´ community.

It would be great if you could make some of the material showcased available in some format for those of us who love to go, but are stuck on the other side of the world :).

Zoltan

Chris_Y 
Posted on 24-Feb-2004 22:13:56
#56 ]
Elite Member

May as well add my 2p to this thread (that's the development budget for the year gone then )

I keep changing my mind about OS4 projects, and what I end up doing will largely depend on what new features the OS has that I want to try and use

At the moment, I am almost certainly going to port GuideML to OS4 (from OS3). In theory, being a nice friendly standard C program which works happily with ReAction, this should be nice and easy.

I will probably then start adding things that aren't necessary in order to try out the new OS.

Previously there was FactsPPC on the cards but I'm not sure about the viability of that right now. I have a standard C template which works but whether it will turn into something worthwhile depends on the mood I'm in.

Beyond those and maybe some other updates I have no idea. It seems that most of the programs people need have already been written, or are such a large undertaking that I have no chance in writing something from scratch on my own.

Some DVD authoring software would be cool.... maybe I can port dvdauthor from Linux if it hasn't been done already. I don't know how easy that would be, and it probably isn't terribly useful without any DVD writing software (or video capture). Updates to MakeCD and VHI-Studio could solve this though.

Chris

MagicSN 
Posted on 24-Feb-2004 22:34:56
#57 ]
Hyperion

@Chris_Y

>Some DVD authoring software would be cool.... maybe I can port dvdauthor from Linux if it >hasn't been done already. I don't know how easy that would be, and it probably isn't terribly

No, not yet...

> useful without any DVD writing software (or video capture). Updates to MakeCD and >VHI-Studio could solve this though.

There has been a port of dvdrtools to OS 3.x... I do not know if the Amiga-specific Source-Code has been given back to the dvdrtools-CVS, though... if yes, then I guess it could be ported
quite easily to OS 4...

dvd+rw-tools has not been ported to AmigaOS (not even OS 3.x), though, so right now,
even if we'd have a dvdrtools-port, this would be DVD-RW/DVD-R only.

Steffen

tomazkid 
Posted on 24-Feb-2004 22:38:44
#58 ]
Team Member

Quote:
dvd+rw-tools has not been ported to AmigaOS (not even OS 3.x), though, so right now,

That's bad...
But hopefully it is coming soon.
Meanwhile, I guess I have to get me some dvd-r/rw disc:s then.

salass00 
Posted on 25-Feb-2004 13:17:22
#59 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Quote:
Your example screen shots look like they are for some kind of sound program.

Yes, you guessed it (it is a sound editor kind of program). For some reason I forgot to mention that ...
Quote:
Does this mean that the pre-OS 4 will have a voice?

If you mean like that it will work on pre-OS4 then the answer will probably be yes. At first I was aiming at OS3.0 as minimum but since then I've ordered the 3.5/3.9 NDK and started learning ReAction which I intend to use, so for now OS3.5 seems to be minimum OS version supported for it.

One interesting fact I happened to notice when I began writing the 8SVX loader was that just over 50% of the sounds (quite a lot of which I had recorded myself with MegaloSound) just wouldn't work with iffparse.library . It seems there's a bug in MegaloSound making the files not correspond to the IFF standard if the sample contains an uneven number of sample points. Quite understandably that was a big push for me to not use iffparse for this particular loader .

Other problems have been with the scroller and otherwise all kinds of overflow related problems with long sounds, but I've managed to fix most of them. Did a kind of kludge for the scroller and made an assembler 64bit math routine to fix the rest .

At first when I began working on the project, I had been planning for it for some time and was expecting it to be really easy, but since then I seem to have hit one problem after another , but I still think I'll make it .

The PC I've heard has been fixed so I should get it back any day now, so I can continue coding . It seems that for some reason I seem to always come up with my best coding ideas/ solutions when I'm unable to implement and/ or test them.

shoe 
Posted on 25-Feb-2004 21:18:16
#60 ]

@CanGuy

Quote:

CanGuy wrote:
@shoe

It would be great if you could make some of the material showcased available in some format for those of us who love to go, but are stuck on the other side of the world :).

Zoltan

We have a dedicated media team that will document everything. It there is enough intrest we will make an official AmiGBG-DVD with some bonus material and exclusive interviews etc..

But the main material will probably be released as mpeg/divx too.

/shoe

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle