Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  7 mins ago
 zipper:  7 mins ago
 clint:  43 mins ago
 RickSkid:  53 mins ago
 bhabbott:  59 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Diane:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS 4.1 Update 3 Released
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
tonyw 
Re: OS 4.1 Update 3 Released
Posted on 30-Aug-2011 23:16:27
#181 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

It all comes back to the original instruction: Start with a CLEAN installation of Update2 and install Update 3 over that.

We guarantee that THAT will work.

I can't see any reason why the system would default to looking in Libs/. Perhaps you also have an old User-startup that tells it to look in Libs/MUI/ ? The current User-startup says:

if exists "Sys:MUI"
assign MUI: "Sys:MUI"
if exists MUI:Libs
assign add LIBS: MUI:Libs
endif
if exists MUI:Locale
assign add LOCALE: MUI:Locale
endif
C:version >nil: exec.library 39
if not warn
if exists MUI:Docs
if exists HELP:dummy ; do not remove
endif ; this entry!
assign add HELP: MUI:Docs
endif
endif
endif

... which doesn't mention Libs/MUI at all.

Last edited by tonyw on 30-Aug-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 0:43:54
#182 ]
Elite Member

@Derfs

Quote:

i see you conviniently ignored the fact all MUI issues are to do with an incomplete/incorrect install of MUI, as stated on this very thread, just to suit your own interpretation.

these are issues that previous (obviously not very dependable) subversion of the os had dealed with somehow, so do you call it an improvement, when something even stops to work?

Quote:

I am entertained by all the people here and elsewhere with thier "RAWR!!!11 YOU SEE!!11 OS4 TEH SUXX!!!11" meaning they have never used any sort of computer in thier life before, and if they are involved in IT then they best get out asap.

you mean kinda computer that is supposed to crash randomly so that the user can have to pleasure to sort it out himself? no, not in my normal life, be it windows or whatever else, on a several ocassions i have made my decissions about the future purchuase, based on such experience. sorry, thats my opinion as long as wer are talking about commercial products.

marko 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 0:50:09
#183 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

Holy moly!!!

But... I have to sleep now, gonna do it tomorrow...

I've downloaded it now, though...

Last edited by marko on 31-Aug-2011 at 12:50 AM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

redfox 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 1:41:54
#184 ]
Elite Member

None of my USB sticks show an icon on the Workbench screen.

I get the requester but no icon.

My rear USB ports are disabled from before the upgrade and I use the front USB ports on my case.

I'll check to see if my front USB ports have been disabled by the install.

---
redfox
AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3
MicroA1-C with 750GX CPU & 256MB RAM

rear USB ports disabled, front USB ports enabled

Last edited by redfox on 31-Aug-2011 at 01:59 AM.

redfox 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 1:50:54
#185 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

OK whatever ... I reset my system the third time tonight and USB sticks working ok now.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 31-Aug-2011 at 02:00 AM.

whose 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 3:04:20
#186 ]
Cult Member

Hmm, is it me, or is the gfx signal of a MicroA1 much more crisp since update 3? I noticed a few minutes before, that Im able to read even very small fonts (OWB showing amigaworld.net site for example) now... very strange, but nice :) I noticed signal issues before, the signal was slightly off VESA standard signal range and gave a slightly smeared display. This was due to a pixel clock calculation problem, it was off about 50 Hz all the time. This was most worse on a TFT (quite wavy picture), but my 22" CRT wasnt able to make a sharp view from the signal, too. Is this glitch fixed by the update?

There is still a slight ghost artefact visible, but I think this is due to not-so-high-quality components used for the onboard Radeon.

I must admit, my system is much more stable now, Im writing this using OWB (which is running quite fine now, no lags on closing it for example, and besides this, its faster with several tabs open, showing quite huge sites etc.) while SimpleMail, DVPlayerSE and even IBrowse are running. Uptime around 3 hours now, full load

Very good for a rather flaky 800MHz machine!

@redfox:

In the beginning, I had a problem with USB, too. I got this strange "xxCI Problem" error, but only once. I stressed my machine with OWB, opening several tabs showing huge sites (hence using all the physical memory) and this error happened. BUT for now, it never happened again. Seems that there was something messing with memory, maybe the USB stack, but maybe some other software. I will test some USB2.0 card next days, maybe this error occurs again, and then in a reproducable way.

Last edited by whose on 31-Aug-2011 at 03:16 AM.

danwood 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 5:59:16
#187 ]

@tonyw

Quote:
It all comes back to the original instruction: Start with a CLEAN installation of Update2 and install Update 3 over that. We guarantee that THAT will work. I can't see any reason why the system would default to looking in Libs/. Perhaps you also have an old User-startup that tells it to look in Libs/MUI/ ? The current User-startup says: if exists "Sys:MUI" assign MUI: "Sys:MUI" if exists MUI:Libs assign add LIBS: MUI:Libs endif if exists MUI:Locale assign add LOCALE: MUI:Locale endif C:version >nil: exec.library 39 if not warn if exists MUI:Docs if exists HELP:dummy ; do not remove endif ; this entry! assign add HELP: MUI:Docs endif endif endif ... which doesn't mention Libs/MUI at all.

I suppose a clean install is the safest way, but it's also bloody annoying having to start over every time there's an update, and for one of this size (a few megabytes and just a few files replaced), a lha archive and not an ISO, I really didn't think a fresh install was a requirement. Imagine if you had to reinstall Windows every time you installed Windows updates.

According to a few guys on #Amigaworld IRC channel, AmigaOS will check Libs: before MUI: by default as it's higher in assigns list, that's what prompted us to look there.

Last edited by danwood on 31-Aug-2011 at 06:02 AM.

kas1e 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 7:11:20
#188 ]
Elite Member

Installed update3 for now on my peg2: just unpack, run install script, waiting while all copies, press finish, soft reboot, and all works. That include all mui apps as well of course.

Through, as far as i can see, soft-booting of OS itself start to be a bit longer on few seconds (but maybe its just me). Didnt test USB2.0 speeds (will compare it with morphos later), but found as positive note that in PFTP mouse-wheel start to works now on my ps2 mouse (before are not).

Also tested few opengl APPs, they works, but no radical changes like better speed or kind (but that is expected of course).

So, for now:

- positive:

1. update easy and fast, all works as i expect in that terms on my peg2

2. mouse-wheel in pftp works now

3. updated mui (so mui-owb soon, and mui-mplayer soon or later)

- negative:

1. no new-shell. its make me madness and drive into crazyness, because it was developer for last 5 years for now i think. So, pretty logical to think, that if it all take so long, how much need to wait for having something else ? 10 years ?

2. a bit longer soft-boot.

Related to USB2.0, i do not know for now (as i not test it), but, as far as i read on exec.pl and ppa.pl, ppls have problems with it on peg2, and everything still slow for them, but, as i can read on the support forum, looks like there can be some problems with cross-dos itself, anyway, before saying anything i will test it normally, because as we all know, most of amiga users cant test normally anything :)

Sadly that i cant found any "change_log" of os components, just usual user-related list of changes. I mostly (and not only i) in interest about every change. Just like "impoved mui: check change_log in mui driver", "improved warp3d: chheck warp3d_update3.txt for more details" and so on. I.e. to give more information for potential users and developers.

For example:

Quote:

Updated PATA and SATA drivers;

What exactly updated ?

Quote:

Fixed Amiga shared object issues;

What issues exactly ?

Quote:

Updated Intuition and GUI components;

Which components exactly ?

Quote:

Faster 2D graphics support;

For what machines ? I know DMA enabled was only for sam460, not for example peg2 or a1, right ? I.e. need more details about that string.

Quote:

Various kernel fixes for increased stability;

Where can i found what exactly was fixed (and so, i will know which issues which i report was fixed, which is not, and what i need to test to be sure that it fixed or not).

Quote:

Improved notifications support.

How ? Small bug-fixes or something more interesting ?

In other words, change-log are very small and very user-newbe-related. Need something for developers and not-newbe users as well. I.e. one change-log as it now (just for brief) and one heavy changle-log. Even maybe just some bugzilla parts converted to readable format .. dunno, but just something more detailed are need it for sure.

For example i see there is new version of notepad, more, multiview. What new with them ?

Last edited by kas1e on 31-Aug-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Last edited by kas1e on 31-Aug-2011 at 07:29 AM.

fingus 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 7:38:14
#189 ]
Cult Member

USB-Copytest in comparisation:

File: KNOPPIX_V6.7.iso 731MB
USB-Stick: Kingston Data-Traveller 4GB

PC: Intel Core2Duo E4500 @2,2Ghz
Trasfer from USB-Stick -> HDD (NTFS) 1:15 Min (9,76 MB/sec)

Amiga: AMC PPC440ep @667Mhz
Transfer from USB-Stick -> HDD (JXFS) 1:49 Min (6,7 MB/sec)
Before Update3: More than 15 Minutes!!

Thats a very good result if you face the big performance difference between these machines!

But i´m wondering that such a brand USB-Stick isn´t faster at least on the PC (shouldn´t 40MB/sec netto be possible)=?

I´m very happy to choose the right OS

Last edited by fingus on 31-Aug-2011 at 07:38 AM.

kas1e 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 7:45:30
#190 ]
Elite Member

@fingus

Your usb stick formatted as fat (so working over cross-dos) or formatted as sfs/jxfs ?

fingus 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 9:28:05
#191 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

Quote:
Your usb stick formatted as fat (so working over cross-dos) or formatted as sfs/jxfs ?

It was formatted with WindowsXP and yes it is FAT32.

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 9:59:25
#192 ]
Cult Member

@fingus

Very good, thanks for the report!

royleith 
Re: OS 4.1 Update 3 Released___Not OK Now
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 11:12:00
#193 ]
Cult Member

@royleith

Quote:
The important step was to set the screen to 800 x 600. This allowed Workbench to fully boot. I then saved the mixer prefs to generate a compatible prefs file and put the screen back to its normal resolution.

Well, it was fine yesterday, but today it stops at an empty AmigaDOS screen with some words about it being OS4.1 Update 3 from Hyperion. No fiddling with the resolution helps, after all.

However, an 'execute startup-sequence' gets things going. Something is stopping that script from executing at startup.

I am toying with a fresh install, but I don't like the idea of putting all those third party libraries, scripts and keys back in place. I, particularly, don't want to spoil the MUI improvements with old stuff.

I will let you know if I get any further. It is not a disaster. I am posting this with UD3.

Regards
Roy Leith

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 11:17:15
#194 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
- negative:
Sadly that i cant found any "change_log" of os components, just usual user-related list of changes.

the very positive exception is - mui. there is the complete changelog for it and is is impressively long!
many thanks to thore!

regards...
michael

Panthro 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 11:19:09
#195 ]

@fingus

wonder how fast it would go with a native format.....

Deniil715 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 11:22:07
#196 ]
Elite Member

To maintain a clean install and make updates safe I decided on this solution:

- Create SYS:CustomSys/
- In my CustomSys/ I have Libs/, Devs/, C/, Classes/.
- Now, all 3rd-party libs, commands, drivers and datatypes I put in CustomSys instead of directly on SYS:.
- Now in user-startup (or startup-sequence, can't remember) I do:
assign LIBS: SYS:CustomSys/Libs ADD
assign DEVS: SYS:CustomSys/Devs ADD
assign C: SYS:CustomSys/C ADD
assign Classes: SYS:CustomSys/Classes ADD

and now I can let the OS installers do what they want and I don't have to pollute SYS: itself with 3rd-party stuff which makes it a whole lot easier to find "the bad guys" and to do a "clean" update (just put away CustomSys and update, then put it back again).

OldFart 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 12:20:39
#197 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@tonyw

Quote:
It all comes back to the original instruction: Start with a CLEAN installation of Update2 and install Update 3 over that.
Amen!
One more reason to keep your SYS: religiously clear of ANY third parties enhencement!

Although I had Update 2 installed right after its release, updating it with #3 was a breeze and a joy to perfom. No problems encountered (yet).

OldFart

Chain-Q 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 12:30:37
#198 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715
Quote:
To maintain a clean install and make updates safe I decided on this solution:
- Create SYS:CustomSys/
- In my CustomSys/ I have Libs/, Devs/, C/, Classes/.

Congratulations! You invented the MorphOS way of keeping your system clean. Guess why any MorphOS update works smoothly and usually free of such glitches described in this thread...

OldFart 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 12:32:37
#199 ]
Elite Member

@whose

Quote:
Hmm, is it me, or is the gfx signal of a MicroA1 much more crisp since update 3?

I had this very experience with an earlier update, so any improvement in that area with upd 3 has gone further unnoticed.

Quote:
I must admit, my system is much more stable now, ...

I have the same feeling here! Much more stable, except OWB (3.31) randomly locks up every now and then. I found that, when having followed links which do not open in a separate window, repeatedly clicking the most left hand arrow button in a rapid fashion in order to return to where I started from, the system MAY freeze. More often then not, btw.

Quote:
Uptime around 3 hours now, full load

Wow! Congrats, mate. Congrats. Hats off!

Quote:
Very good for a rather flaky 800MHz machine!

Don't say that aloud please! I do want to sell my µA1-C off one of these days.

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 31-Aug-2011 12:36:58
#200 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Quote:
I suppose a clean install is the safest way, but it's also bloody annoying having to start over every time there's an update, and for one of this size (a few megabytes and just a few files replaced), a lha archive and not an ISO, I really didn't think a fresh install was a requirement.

As I already mentioned elsewhere: keep your SYS: religiously clean of 3rd parties stuff! And have it locked all times. Take this to heart and Bob's y'r uncle.

Quote:
Imagine if you had to reinstall Windows every time you installed Windows updates.

You have to do that twice or trice a year anyway to keep it up speed, so what's the problem?

OldFart

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle