Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

A1200,  DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  9 secs ago
 DiscreetFX:  19 secs ago
 retrofaza:  15 mins ago
 pixie:  21 mins ago
 OlafS25:  34 mins ago
 BigD:  35 mins ago
 zErec:  42 mins ago
 amigakit:  45 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  WooHoooo! AmigaOne X1000 to ship by years end!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
KimmoK 
Re: WooHoooo! AmigaOne X1000 to ship by years end!
Posted on 23-Oct-2011 11:04:11
#141 ]
Elite Member

@Frags

>If that £2500 or whatever it is went on paying coders instead of getting flushed down the hardware development toilet imagine how much better things would be.

I imagine some of that money has gone to SW development. X1000 is bringing new technologies to AOS4, like the support for POWER core and multiple cores per board.

>This custom hardware thing is just wasting money that faithful users are spending to ostensibly support the development.

Only future will prove if the x1000 is worth the effort. So far it seems there are plans of other devices that have the same technologies.

Last edited by KimmoK on 23-Oct-2011 at 11:05 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2011 12:16:32
#142 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_, zerohero:

just for the sake of clarity, i was answering to this sequence of posts, where the initial suject was the number of os4 users estimated by the numbers of downloads, the quality of os or intelligence of users were not the subject. only zerohero brought it up:

by KimmoK:
Quote:

@Shufflepuck

I think there was above 700 SAM440 users about two years ago (according to individual driver downloads).
So, IMHO, amount of AOS4 registrations should be close to 2000 (or slightly above) nowdays.

by kronos: Quote:

@KimmoK

Ohno, not those downloads again ....

How often do you read OS4-users "solving" problems by doing a clean install ?

Add to that that until recently OS4 had only crap browser would fail on download quite regular.

2000 units might be o.k. if you count 4.0 and 4.1 seperate, surely not if you want to count actual (current) users.

@Kronos

Quote:
How often do you read OS4-users "solving" problems by doing a clean install ?
zerohero:
Quote:

Says more about the user than the OS, don't you think?

L8Knight 
Posted on 23-Oct-2011 13:20:31
#143 ]

@umisef

Quote:

umisef wrote:
@recedent

Quote:
Maybe. But who would pay money for that weird, hosted-on-top-of-something-else OS?

Who would, indeed?

Is that some old link that Softhut never cleaned up? Or is AMIthlon for sale again?!?

--Barry Steenbergh

zerohero 
Posted on 23-Oct-2011 16:31:35
#144 ]
Team Member

@Kronos

You forgot NetSurf, which is quite good in the downloading appartment. So we have IBrowse, AWeb and NetSurf handling download quite well, and OWB that won't show you a progress indicator, but handles the download itself correctly.

I'm not countering the numbers, and I also think downloads is not a valid source of information. I am objecting to your other negative remarks, because they're wrong.

Kronos 
Posted on 23-Oct-2011 16:52:20
#145 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

If you need 4 browser just to do (barely) as 1 other browser (Fab's OWB) does, than it's only fair to call those 4 browsers *crap*

Or change it a bit more:
Put one Win,OSX or Linux user infront of those browser and wait till he says "crap".

Putting them in front of OWB will probraly also lead to "crap" just much later and less frequent.

zerohero 
Posted on 23-Oct-2011 16:56:58
#146 ]
Team Member

@Kronos

Quote:
If you need 4 browser just to do (barely) as 1 other browser (Fab's OWB) does, than it's only fair to call those 4 browsers *crap*

That's not what you were talking about, you were talking about downloading, and all 4 do that quite well. Bring up some valid points, if you're going to be negative.

wawa 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 8:10:50
#147 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

cmon, it was numerous times that os4 users claimed to haver repeatedly problems with downloading their updates on this very site in the past. i also know from own experience that i have downloaded several amiga components i required few times for whatever reason, say ixemul.library for instance. therefore the download count is a bad indication of the number of active users. thats all that needs to be said here.

Last edited by wawa on 24-Oct-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 9:08:39
#148 ]
Elite Member

@BrandonLee

Quote:

BrandonLee wrote:
@OlafS25

Quote:

it is premium (Porsche under the Amigas so to say). Who wants it shall buy it... But it will certainly not become a big seller (propably never was intended to)

It may be a Porsche in Amiga terms, but it won't perform like a Porsche. Or at least, keeping the metaphor, you won't find much gas it to run. ;(

But from day one onwards it has been stated that it isn't aimed at end users, but at developers and "geeks".
The machine is there - now the gas for it can be developed (to keep your metaphor)...

Quote:

BrandonLee wrote:

Your assertion that "who wants it, shall buy it" is also wrong.
There may not a more interested person in buying it than me, but I won't buy it.
It's simply too much money, regardless of what it does or doesn't do.

This is really sad for me, I wouldn't want this very downbeat post to be confused with trolling.

Are you a developer or a geek?
If not, there's no reason to be sad - it was never meant for you and that has bees pointed out from the beginning...

Dandy

zerohero 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 10:22:33
#149 ]
Team Member

@wawa

Quote:
cmon, it was numerous times that os4 users claimed to haver repeatedly problems with downloading their updates on this very site in the past.

That is a gross overstatement, and that is what I am objecting to. There has been one episode where users using IBrowse have had problems downloading updates from Hyperions own site. That in itself is bad, I agree, but going from that to "You are using OS4 you have problems with downloading", which is implied here, is factually wrong.

I am not contesting that numbers of downloads is a bad to measure numbers of users.

Dandy 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 10:52:38
#150 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@_Steve_

When Amiga 500 users wanted to upgrade they upgraded to PC and didnt even consider getting Amiga 3000/4000.

Well, I'm one of those that shouldn't exist according to your statement above:
I upgraded from an A500 to an A4000, towered it, added a CyberstormPPC and Mediator PCI and Deneb USB 2.0 and...
And I know a lot others who went the same route...

Dandy

itix 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 14:42:57
#151 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:

I upgraded from an A500 to an A4000, towered it, added a CyberstormPPC and Mediator PCI and Deneb USB 2.0 and...
And I know a lot others who went the same route...

You are in a minority of Amiga users. Amiga 500 sold millions, phase5 PPC accelerators only few thousands. Amiga 4000 maybe tens of thousands.

See, because we are still here doesnt mean everyone else followed with us.

Kicko 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 16:38:08
#152 ]
Elite Member

@itix

I had a500, a1200, a1200T, A4000, A4000PT(cyberstorm) and now only A1G4XE. For future i dont know but X1000 is in plan, probably not the Limited version. For the netbook i dont know, probably not, but if we get a next generation laptop with more muscle then probably. Would be cool to bring with me a netbook when i play at partys and make people go wonder... wtf is that...

My Asus i5 laptop with windows7 i use for the stuff my amigas cant, like flash, and other 3rd party stuff. Its under my 46 inch led tv as mediabox running xbmc :)

Im one of these people that thinks i can live without anything non amiga but a laptop with windows makes life so much easier and faster. Bought it 2 summers ago.

Last edited by Kicko on 24-Oct-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Last edited by Kicko on 24-Oct-2011 at 04:38 PM.

vox 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 18:13:39
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
So yes browsers available for OS4 were crap until recently !

Yes, OWB port saved our asses, and yes, we need Timberwolf also
which is a replacement for AmZilla project, and as open source thing
will be at disposal to be backported to MOS.

Its time (finally!) things are getting better for OS4, step by step, and even ultra expensive AmigaOne X1000 is part of it. But even X1000 users will face OS4 software limits and that is why we look forward to OS get updated with MESA port and RadeonHD drivers. That, as well as some productivity software will be next step forward.

Like you say software is very important but in old chicken and egg paradigm, it was also very bad and sad to be stuck without it at all (as happened to MOS also when Genesi died and before Mac ports become stable). So it would be good to have choices from second hand ClassicPPCs, Pegs II, SAMs 440 to new SAMs 460 and soon X1000 and later that low specs nettop. One more platform and that would be quite a offer from few hundred to few thousand euros And then software developnment would matter even more ...

And as I always say all these could be viable platforms for MOS too .... (and PPC AROS)

A500 
Posted on 8-Nov-2011 20:46:21
#154 ]

@KimmoK

Your logic is not lost on me... I'd love the Mac Pro too, but I can't justify that either, even though I can get it for C$2100 as a refurb :p

And, Apple is looking to sunset the Mac Pro because sales have fallen off, even as mac sales are at their highest. It's a tough price point in this market unless it is used professionally I believe.

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@A500

but because apple does not manage to produce expandable computer (MacPro) below 2400€, we should't try it either....

A500 
Posted on 8-Nov-2011 20:48:57
#155 ]

@Spectre660

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@A500

People keep missing the point of the Amigaone X1000 .

The next models made after the X1000 will be more affordable to normal Amigans.

Quote:
feel disapointed. I was hoping for a system around $1500. In order for the community to grow, it must sell hardware at an afforable price point.

I hope so. I want to see teh Amiga community sustained and even grow a little. New machines do not come out very often, but would it not make more business sense to come out with a more affordable model to pave the way for a professional grade machine?

A500 
Posted on 8-Nov-2011 20:55:42
#156 ]

@BrandonLee

I agree. Your cost concern is valid. I said as much in my posts, but you appear to be getting the brunt of the lashings.

I think it will be a tough go for them. I personally make a good living and can afford one, but $4,000 is more than I want to pay for any machine. If I was a business and could generate 20k per year from the machine, that would be a solid business case. For me, $4,000 is a trip to China, a trip to Germany and about three trips into the US states.

If they are smart, they will offer a mini version for under $2,000, preferably under $1,000.

Look what happened to the iPad sales when they offered it for $499. Everyone expected it to be over 1000 inclduing myself. At that price, I would have said no, but history shows what happens when the price is right. I feel the X1000 needs the same entry level machine.

Paul 
Posted on 8-Nov-2011 21:44:57
#157 ]
Cult Member

@vox

Quote:
OWB port saved our asses

Really?

I've quit using the port of MUI-OWB because of widespread font problems and crashes. RA-OWB is still my browser of choice for that reason and does quite well, even on heavier sites like eBay motors. I guess if you were referring to Joerg's port, than fair enough, but in the context, I think you were referring to the more recent OS4 port of Fab's port to MOS.

Paul

Slayer 
Posted on 8-Nov-2011 22:14:22
#158 ]

This is great news!

Spectre660 
Posted on 8-Nov-2011 22:36:33
#159 ]
Elite Member

@A500

A little tricky in this case as there would have been limited choices for a dual core powerpc CPU option that allowed SMP development for OS 4.X .

Quote:

A500 wrote:
@Spectre660

I hope so. I want to see teh Amiga community sustained and even grow a little. New machines do not come out very often, but would it not make more business sense to come out with a more affordable model to pave the way for a professional grade machine?

elatour 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 2:50:44
#160 ]
Cult Member

Too rich for me I'm afraid when I consider the additional cost with OS license, taxes and shipping to this side of the pond. I'll have to take a wait and see approach on this one. If the value is there and people take advantage of the new hardware in innovative ways and more than just a faster OS4 system, then I'll consider getting one.

Last edited by elatour on 09-Nov-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Last edited by elatour on 09-Nov-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle