Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  7 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  16 mins ago
 Swisso:  33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  34 mins ago
 Hypex:  34 mins ago
 VooDoo:  51 mins ago
 agami:  51 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 ed:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  WooHoooo! AmigaOne X1000 to ship by years end!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrandonLee 
Re: WooHoooo! AmigaOne X1000 to ship by years end!
Posted on 21-Oct-2011 23:53:14
#61 ]

@Spectre660

Quote:
It was never intended to be a machine sold to a huge market.

But it certainly aims to sell to at least a good portion of the existing market, no?
And this is where I can't see it having success.

Profile     Report this post  
Templario 
Posted on 21-Oct-2011 23:59:37
#62 ]
Elite Member

@MacSociety
It is a joke, 2000 euros

realize 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 0:02:02
#63 ]

@BrandonLee

You would actually be surprised how sales can come about for this project. Back when I was a Pegasos dealer and later worked with GEnesi I was shocked by some of the good sales numbers of european peg dealers. Way above what I expected. Also, you wouldnt believe some of the companies that contaced my old company magnetic systems about Peg1/Peg2.. not even amiga related.. more PPC developers and things.

As far as costs go you have to take into account the BOM and Total Cost of Ownership. Even making profit $1k euro a board they probably just break even!

Whats weird is that Hyperion have chosen to make money with HW and SW when maybe they should have just focused on the SW license model of Morphos team? (project moana)

klx300r 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 0:13:03
#64 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Spirantho wrote:
@BrandonLee

Quote:

I wish good luck for the project and the Amiga in general, but this price is probably the final push for me to leave the scene.

Why? I can't afford the X1000 either, but it would never stop me enjoying my A1....?

yes indeed & there's quite a good few used Sam440, Sam460, & A1's for sale lately

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Spectre660 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 2:53:23
#65 ]
Elite Member

@BrandonLee

Dont leave the Amiga scene.
I have been in a situation like yours.
I used Amithlon for about 7 years after my Blizzard PPC died.
I could not justify replacing the Blizzard PPC card due to the cost and these were the days before Amiga OS 4.0 .
I waited until a machine that made sense to me became available ,the Sam440ep-Flex 800hmz.
I even bought my copy of OS 4.1 months before the Flex model shipped.
And yeah I earn less than I did 15 years ago and have for the last 14 years.

Quote:

BrandonLee wrote:
@Spectre660

Quote:
The problem with BrandonLee seems to be that his has no interest in any OS4 machine that has a slower CPU than his damaged A1 with a G4 cpu.
The only model faster at the moment is the Amigaone X1000 .
I wonder what he needs to do that he could not on a Sam 440ep 733mhz or 800mhz or a Sam460 ?

I don't "need" it for anything.
I'm just making a decision that I don't/can't pay for another machine that gives me about the same that myA1 gave me.
Basically, I'm not willing to pay "again" to get my A1.

As I said earlier, this is not a criticism, I don't doubt that this is the best price that can be achieved.
I just tink it's way too much.

Spectre660 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 2:53:59
#66 ]
Elite Member

@BrandonLee

I think that the lable "Limited Edition" means what it means.

If you read the latest press release it indicates that the Amigaone X1000 experience has been positive for A-eon, Varisys and AmigaKit so new models will come to "Improve and extend the product line"
The key is that the design worked. There is confidence to do it again and ideas for different ways to do it.

Last edited by Spectre660 on 22-Oct-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 4:49:39
#67 ]
Hyperion

@realize

"Whats weird is that Hyperion have chosen to make money with HW and SW when maybe they should have just focused on the SW license model of Morphos team? (project moana)"

Hyperion DOES NOT make any money with hardware sales.

Revenues are limited to the very reasonable (sub 100 USD) license fee for the operating system with successive FREE updates. Three already for AmigaOS 4.1 with another one the way.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 9:54:51
#68 ]

@realize

Quote:
You would actually be surprised how sales can come about for this project. Back when I was a Pegasos dealer and later worked with GEnesi I was shocked by some of the good sales numbers of european peg dealers. Way above what I expected. Also, you wouldnt believe some of the companies that contaced my old company magnetic systems about Peg1/Peg2.. not even amiga related.. more PPC developers and things.

I honestly WANT the project to succeed.
I just can´t see it.

This time, by a number of reasons, I think the price is too much.

As for the "breaking even", I've always said I don't doubt about that. Probably can't be done cheaper, I understand that. But I still think it's basically twice the price it "should" be.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 9:58:32
#69 ]

@Spectre660

Quote:
If you read the latest press release it indicates that the Amigaone X1000 experience has been positive for A-eon, Varisys and AmigaKit so new models will come to "Improve and extend the product line"

I understand that.
I've been waiting for 5 months to see what path to chose. But...I can't wait much longer. I need a machine to use daily soon. This laptop I'm writing on served two purposes: to survive without a real computer and to make my mind about not waning anything Windows-related.

But I can't be like this much longer, can't wait for an ellusive affordable Amiga that may or may not come down the line.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 10:23:18
#70 ]

@Spectre660

Quote:
Dont leave the Amiga scene.

For me, the Amiga is all about using it daily. Most here seem to have other machines to fall back on if needed.
I don't.
IIf I buy a machine, that's it. It will be my main machine for as long as possible.
So, investing in one is something that must be really well thought.

As always, I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the pleasure of using an Amiga.
But, if in addition to the known facts (low/no support, lack of software, no full internet experience, etc, etc) I also have to pay a small fortune...then it's no thanks.

kas1e 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 10:26:46
#71 ]
Elite Member

@HyperionMP

While i am fully up to the success of x1000, then, still, if Hyperion its only SW company and want to success by sales of AOS4 licences, then, isn't that clear, that if Hyperion will do port to any MacBook (or ok, to no laptops, but just to some macintosh which cost 200-300$), then Hyperion will have more sales of aos4 ?

I mean most of us not everyday at home, and having laptop will give us many time for programming for aos4 : good for everyone. And if that laptop will just macbook , which cost how much ? 200-300-400$ ? Then for first there will be more developers of OS4 for first, and for second more users (and more sales of aos4).

Why not ?

Someone can say that "let's wait when Acube will make an ppc-laptop", but then, who know when it will be done, and we all know that it will be for first not cheap, and for second, fixing of them when they will have problems will be a nightmare. While with mac's notebooks, user will just buy one more.

All of this will forces to more developing time, and to more users. And what is more important - new users.

Last edited by kas1e on 22-Oct-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 10:35:20
#72 ]
Cult Member

@HammerD

Jeez, I completely missed your blog, thanks: instant-bookmark!

KimmoK 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 12:40:40
#73 ]
Elite Member

@realize
>Whats weird is that Hyperion have chosen to make money with HW and SW when maybe they should have just focused on the SW license model of Morphos team? (project moana)

Morphos team does not have any success in getting new HW for their OS. Only used macs. Not sure if that is too clever.

@kas1e
> if Hyperion its only SW company and want to success by sales of AOS4 licences, then, isn't that clear, that if Hyperion will do port to any MacBook (or ok, to no laptops, but just to some macintosh which cost 200-300$), then Hyperion will have more sales of aos4 ?

To me it seems that it took thousand(s) of man years for MOS team to support Mac HW fully (via reverse engineering). I think hyperion does not have the needed free resources. Supporting new HW is simpler.

IIRC, AmigaInc killed the Moana project, where ACube was doing the adaptation to MacMini. Not sure if Moana would be possible today. It would anyway mean a lot of work for some people.

I would rather like to see a hosted AOS4 for x86. Most likely it would outperform any second hand Mac.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Seiya 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 13:06:11
#74 ]

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@BrandonLee

I think that the lable "Limited Edition" means what it means.

limited Edition = 2500 Euro
New improved model = 5000 euro?

Spectre660 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 13:43:52
#75 ]
Elite Member

@BrandonLee

The best lower end machine for AmigaOS4.1 you will get at the moment is a used
Sam ep-Flex 733mhz or 800Mhz.
For mid range the Sam460.
Remember that OS 4.x has not reached it top performance on these machines yet.
The new radeon HD dirvers will give a big boost to performance plus the finalized sata and sound drivers for the Sam460 .

Spectre660 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 13:55:36
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya

People who spend 2500 Euro will not need a new machine for a while so new machines will have to tap those of us with smaller wallets.

vox 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 14:02:47
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Even with its higher then expected price, OS 4.1u4, OS 4.2 announced and the website done, seems that this month is kind of extraordinary for OS community and that things are starting to have shape and make sense

recedent 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 14:11:37
#78 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:
Morphos team does not have any success in getting new HW for their OS. Only used macs. Not sure if that is too clever.

Apparently we have two models:

1. Increase user- and appbase using dirt cheap used hardware and then going for new hardware ("not too clever")

2. Going for brand new but pricey hardware now with the same/shrinking userbase ("oh so clever")

Quote:
I would rather like to see a hosted AOS4 for x86. Most likely it would outperform any second hand Mac.

Maybe. But who would pay money for that weird, hosted-on-top-of-something-else OS?

Simon 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 14:40:38
#79 ]
Cult Member

Wy don't you all sell a kidney if the world seems to fall apart now that you can't afford the fastest Amiga from day one? You have two of these anyway.

Serious, what's wrong with you people these days ?

Whining and complaining for countless hours for yet another round of the same " It's this or it's that but certainly not good or whatever seems to be wrong this time " ... It ####es me off and I can only imagine how the people feel that did the hard work and put their money in this when they read this constant moaning.

So here is the plan:

Life's to short for the above behaviour, so get out and go get an extra job @ Macdonalds in the week-end, go pick fruit or do dishwashes in the local restaurant.... whatever. Or start an Ebay shop and buy/sell whatever you think is profitable ... and if you don't believe that's possible: here is the URL of my Ebayshop : Ebay Shop ... I started that with an investment of 300 euro 1 year ago. All I did was emailing some local dealerships with the question " do you have some new old stock that doesn't move anymore ? "

Don't forget to thank me when that x1000 is on your desk somewhere next summer.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

itix 
Posted on 22-Oct-2011 14:41:53
#80 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I dont know how many computers Acube and A-eon can sell in a year but I doubt their sales exceed number of MorphOS licenses sold every year.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle