Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  46 mins ago
 Bruce72:  48 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 Troels:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  OS4 Netbook in 2012?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: OS4 Netbook in 2012?
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:15:32
#241 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
It cannot change the cpu specs. The only e300 chip with PowerVR is the 5121e. The only company building powerpc netbooks in recent years is THTF/Lime. Count 1 and 1 together, no big math needed. This is again typical Hyperion marketing at its best. Generate buzz, don't mention critical things. Why not be honest, would be a nice new feature

Let say you are 100% right (which we don`t know / can`t prove yet)
and that it`s Lime. I`am sad the same scheme didn`t work out for the Genesi,
but that is still platform for OS4 team to go.

Yes, its not much, but just as challenge was with OS 4.1 Classic version,
now it will be up to Hyperion to make most of that hardware.

Like Eliyahu says, it`s sad people complain no hardware / too expensive / too low performing even its cheap ... (even people mentioned exactly Lime as proof OS4 could target cheaper h/w before). Yes, it`s all valid, but that is what PPC hardware can offer at this moment and its either non existing, expensive or if cheap, not so well performing.

We are lucky that MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 are "light" OS`s in demanding resources. Only challenge is to optimize them even more for target hardware and its quite a joy even its high end (g5/X1000) or such low end as Efika/this promised nettop.

Lets wait and see next year.

Profile     Report this post  
eder 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:17:46
#242 ]

@eliyahu

Looks like you took the bait from one of the 5 /6 people on this forum, that for some reason havent been banned for life.

eliyahu 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:24:31
#243 ]

@eder

you're right, of course. i shouldn't have done. it's just that, well, this community is probably the most interesting of the retro-computing communities out there: unique hardware, software, ongoing development, dealerships, everything.

and then this garbage.

see, i only got here last year. i don't care about fights between german developers working on powerpc accelerators back in the 1990s. i don't care about red vs blue. i don't care about lawsuits, comments on legality, theft, or any of it. i just want to enjoy my hobby and enjoy it with other like-minded folks.

i am so tired of the negativity. there are less than ten people on these fora that, when i see their ID in a thread about a platform they don't use, i know exactly what they're going to say, why they're planning on saying it, and what the reaction will be. it just grates, you know?

oh well, i'm not going to be able to change it. i just wish the few rats that haven't already fled to moo would go ahead and do so and leave us alone.

-- eliyahu

T-J 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:25:33
#244 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
that said there are some things unique to this SoC that hyperion can leverage to improve overall performance, the main one being the off-loading of audio processing to the AXE. moreover the power consumption is impressively low, so assuming well-executed power management on the OS side and a modern battery, you're gonna run for a long time before you need to top up.

This is interesting. Even assuming the worst case of 400MHz, its good to know the SoC has features that can keep things moving along.

I would also ask, admittedly from a position of near-total ignorance, whether it is possible for people with the skills to simply overclock the 5121E to a more muscular figure? That's the progression we saw with ACube's original Sam - the first one was 400MHz, but they got that SoC up to 800MHz without meltdown.

Still, I'm hoping for one of those new AppliedMicro SoCs myself. They've got some interesting low-end products at power consumption rates of less than 1 watt. And clocking in at around 800MHz, albiet with less grunt per megahert, they stand alongside the early Sams performance-wise, on paper.

Last edited by T-J on 24-Oct-2011 at 08:27 PM.

ssolie 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:29:10
#245 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea
The exact configuration is subject to change so the specifics are not being made available so that Hyperion does not have to keep explaining why the specs are changing.

@all
It really is as simple as that. There is nothing to hide. There is no conspiracy. There is no special timing to coincide with the phase of the moon.

Hey, we really did want to show it running at AmiWest. It didn't work out that way. But instead of just keeping quiet on it Hyperion decided to share a little.

Please, let's all try to not make this into something ugly. Thank you.

eliyahu 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:29:26
#246 ]

@T-J

Quote:
I would also ask, admittedly from a position of near-total ignorance, whether it is possible for people with the skills to simply overclock the 5121E to a more muscular figure? I only ask because that's the progression we saw with ACube's original Sam - the first one was 400MHz, but they got that SoC up to 800MHz without meltdown.

i doubt it. it's possible you might end up with one at the 'fast' end of the sort out of wafer-test, but the likelihood that you could do that without running into timing faults is pretty low. still, given the price point and the portability, it will still be useable. heck, i was using bill bosari's powerpc-accelerated 4000D just yesterday and it was more than useable. i have high hopes that it will be a worthwhile addition to the ever-swelling ranks of amiga NG hardware platforms.

Quote:
Still, I'm hoping for one of those new AppliedMicro SoCs myself. They've got some interesting low-end products at power consumption rates of less than 1 watt. And clocking in at around 800MHz, albiet with less grunt per megahert, they'll stand alongside the early Sams performance-wise.

hey, if acube ever gets a SAM based on the 476FP, i'll be first in line to buy one.

-- eliyahu

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:30:01
#247 ]

@eliyahu

Don't think that anybody complained here, in this thread. The big two pluses are, imo:
a) The price (finally!)
b) mobility!
Both promise a slightly boost on our user base ;)
Though, some expressed partial skepticism, because IF delivering slightly better than 1999's performance (in *amiga* ppc timeline) isn't a big step forward. Efika, was dirty cheap as well (something like 100Euros I think at some point?) and wasn't *that* well received. I have seen it in action with MOS and it was dead slow with extreme limitations. If one isn't masochistic enough, won't be even thinking touching a 400Mhz system in 2011, even for web browsing, in many cases.
However, in a die-hard / hobby community, it may worth the try.
All in all, for 300USD, I am as well tempted to give it a go somewhere in the future :)

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 24-Oct-2011 at 08:34 PM.

gerograph 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:31:38
#248 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Here I predicted an affordable HW:

thread

Quote:
by the way, a bunch of the OS4 machines at amiwest had ibatch installed

choooice ! Good One... Great ! BTW I am just working on Version 1.4 featuring plugins for gfx Effects (Gamma, Sepia, Watermark), plus new scaling algos (e.g. Becubic)....

Last edited by gerograph on 24-Oct-2011 at 08:35 PM.

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

eder 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:31:43
#249 ]

@eliyahu

Should there be some kind of ID filter??

Or better just: vote for kas1e as moderator, he would have taken care of the problem

Last edited by eder on 24-Oct-2011 at 08:32 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:32:01
#250 ]

@ssolie / @thread

Quote:
Please, let's all try to not make this into something ugly. Thank you.

my apologies to all fellow members if my earlier response contributed to an less-than-enjoyable atmosphere on the thread. i'll try not to take the bait again.

-- eliyahu

T-J 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:34:22
#251 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

I expected as much. I read that the 440ep SoC is really the exception rather than the rule when it comes to stretching its limits through overclocking.

Still, you're right, 400MHz at 2 MIPS per MHz would be usable. Personally, I'd love to get my hands on one of the PPC-accelerated classics for a few minutes, to see how things run on those old 200MHz machines. The videos online are impressive, but its not the same as having the actual thing to play with.

Hondo 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:40:59
#252 ]

@eder

Quote:
Or better just: vote for kas1e as moderator, he would have taken care of the problem

Trust me he's not the only one who would do something about it. I wouldn't hesitate to moderate those 10 guys into oblivion!

Zylesea 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:42:57
#253 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

If you worked with the 5121 you know about its issues. But AmigaOS can tackle these rather well (cache coherence). I played only once a bit with the Hellrosa board a few years back.
And back than I was very positive about the 5121e. It is a nice processor with a good price/performance ratio (21 US$, almost complete motherboard on chip), really good for cost effective things.
Plus I know what an e300/400 is able to do. It is more than a toy, but also nothing too serious. I evaluated it intensively and still have a project ongoing with an e300/400 based processor (5125).

zerohero 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:43:14
#254 ]
Team Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
i am so tired of the negativity. there are less than ten people on these fora that, when i see their ID in a thread about a platform they don't use, i know exactly what they're going to say, why they're planning on saying it, and what the reaction will be.

I'm with you 100% on this one. Always the same people showing up, always doing the same thing.

Somehow it's important for some people to always bring put down the alternatives when there's positive news going on. It borders on inferiority complex, if you ask me. It's also interesting that it's been mainly going in one direction lately. Makes you wonder why it's so important for them to have this particular option fail? Some of them don't even support their own choice, they're only here to put something down. I'm all for a balanced discussion about pros and cons but this isn't even close.

eder 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:49:21
#255 ]

@zerohero

So...

Dont you have the magic powers to make it better ?

Can i be a moderator for 5 minutes? please

zerohero 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:50:41
#256 ]
Team Member

@eder

You'd think I did, but things aren't always what they seem.

redrumloa 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 20:51:13
#257 ]
Cult Member

@Nibunnoichi

Quote:

The cynical side of me says that searching old threads/news on this very site, one discovers that usually happens the exact opposite.

I've seen those allegations in the past, one reason I was cynical initially

Last edited by redrumloa on 24-Oct-2011 at 09:01 PM.

$225 total spent!

redrumloa 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 21:00:19
#258 ]
Cult Member

-deleted-

Taken to PM

Last edited by redrumloa on 24-Oct-2011 at 09:53 PM.

$225 total spent!

zerohero 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 21:00:25
#259 ]
Team Member

@redrumloa

Taken to PM.

Last edited by zerohero on 24-Oct-2011 at 09:39 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 24-Oct-2011 21:02:38
#260 ]
Team Member

@redrumloa

Taken to PM.

Last edited by zerohero on 24-Oct-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle