Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RickSkid:  36 secs ago
 bhabbott:  6 mins ago
 BigD:  8 mins ago
 Diane:  11 mins ago
 VooDoo:  14 mins ago
 A1200:  18 mins ago
 pixie:  31 mins ago
 retrofaza:  31 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  52 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  First Contact AmigaOne X1000 question
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigakit 
Re: First Contact AmigaOne X1000 question
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 17:26:44
#21 ]
Amiga Kit

We are now back from Amiwest 2011.

We will be shortly reviewing our sales email box responding to customers requesting to buy an AmigaOne X1000 on a first-come first-served basis on the new production run.

I know some requested to buy the system immediately last Friday once the first announcement was made.

Website is advertised on the press release made by A-EON, this was http://www.amigakit.com/x1000

Last edited by amigakit on 26-Oct-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Mechanic 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 18:30:07
#22 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Done!

I'll be out front waiting for the delivery truck.

wawa 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 18:50:23
#23 ]
Elite Member

ive just viewed trevors speech video and must contribute to common sense opinion that this *is* some personality, or at least convincing stage presence. besides the comment on enigma and polish involvement with decoding it, is spot on (speaking as a grandson of a 315 division fighter pilot, who escaped half of europe ti fignt against the nazis under british sky ;P)

the video is fun, even if it doesnt neccesarily contain much news, but helps to understand some relationships and pulls facts into right perspective. interestingly it confirms all previously elsewhere dienied rumours about problems, but i am fond of this honesty. as result i feel a littlle pity that this amount of idealism and engagement hasnt been put into a more open solution, or into insiting on more openness, but im intrigued what sorts of cooperation trevor envisiones himself.

now, one final thought, even though speaking as a person who cannot justify x1k purchuase. judging by question and answers sections, there is no detailed plan on how to deal with support (how to handle shipments and so on). my advice would be to take it most seriously, because this is what afair was one of main issues witch eyetech.

eliyahu 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 19:07:42
#24 ]

@wawa

Quote:
the video is fun, even if it doesnt neccesarily contain much news, but helps to understand some relationships and pulls facts into right perspective. interestingly it confirms all previously elsewhere dienied rumours about problems, but i am fond of this honesty. as result i feel a littlle pity that this amount of idealism and engagement hasnt been put into a more open solution, or into insiting on more openness, but im intrigued what sorts of cooperation trevor envisiones himself.

openness? what would you like to see more 'open' from A-EON? IIRC they never had any objection to others using the X1000 as a platform for their own OS. and, by the way, commonality requires more than one party to create a standard together, you know?

Quote:
now, one final thought, even though speaking as a person who cannot justify x1k purchuase. judging by question and answers sections, there is no detailed plan on how to deal with support (how to handle shipments and so on). my advice would be to take it most seriously, because this is what afair was one of main issues witch eyetech.

i hope i'm remembering this right, but didn't trevor say that varisys would be handling all issues with the motherboard, hyperion the OS, and amigakit the system integration? if i got that wrong, somebody please correct me.

on a bit of an off-topic point, my personal thanks to you and the rest of AROS team for your terrific work on AROS-68K. not only does it give new life to classic amiga systems, but also to the myriad software and hardware emulation projects now extant in our wider community.

-- eliyahu

vox 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 19:16:42
#25 ]
Elite Member

@ddni

Quote:
@vox I would like confirmation that after the First Contact boards are sold, the mainstream NEMO boards wont suddenly be Rev. NEMO 2.2 Also are the First Contact boards NEW unused or are some of them returned test boards that the beta testers did not want?

Trevor can only answer this, but no need for paranoia, both answers should be NO. And where from comes the idea of "returned beta testers biard"? This should be the final product released on sale with beta OS edition, just like it was with both SAMs

wawa 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 19:39:08
#26 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

openness? what would you like to see more 'open' from A-EON? IIRC they never had any objection to others using the X1000 as a platform for their own OS. and, by the way, commonality requires more than one party to create a standard together, you know?

as a hint, im not talking of hardware suppliers.
Quote:

i hope i'm remembering this right, but didn't trevor say that varisys would be handling all issues with the motherboard, hyperion the OS, and amigakit the system integration? if i got that wrong, somebody please correct me.

here i refer to Q&A section at the end of the video, when trevor is obviously troubled by a question, if in a support case the whole machine or only motherboard has to be sent there and back. i might sound nitpicking here, but as the case looks huge (and i was considering lately to send an towerized 4k to america lately and know the fedex price) this might become an issue at some point. also if warranty covers opening a case and user replacing components. such questions are best clarified in advance to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings and improve the customer satisafction, dont you think?

Last edited by wawa on 26-Oct-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 19:51:58
#27 ]
Elite Member

IMHO the decision to not include AmigaOS4.x on that X1000 was really bad...

That board comes to be used with AmigaOS and AmigaOS wasnt included...why? I cant get that point...really.

Also I think that delivering it with 4GB and 1TB HDD will be a better decision...
However I imagine that AmigaOS still dont support more than 2GB and 500GB for AmigaOS was enoug....

wawa 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 20:02:27
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

i think it is a reasonable decision at least from trevors (aeon) pov.

fristly it remains open if os4.x is the exclusive market for this product, as it might be a proposal for linux users, which was repeatedly mentioned. (linux is reported to run on it, probably better than os4, right?)

secondly, it clearly distinguishes on responsiblities: aeon-hardware, hyperion-os, which is good for healthy business relationship imo.

if os4 was included in price it just would be higher by this amount i expect, so what to complain about? btw in case of announced netbook the situation is different, as it is solely hyperions deal, so no wonder.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 20:03:13
#29 ]
Elite Member

Answer to questions:-

When will pre-order page go online? - When AmigaKit get back from AmiWest and have recovered from jet lag.

Wil it be possible to cancel the pre-order if their is a delay or unforeseen problems? - See next answer.

Will the money be taken stright away or only at shipping? - AmigaKit will take a deposit, final payment will be required before delivery.

AmigaONE White Keyboards? - Black & White keyboards should be available. However, more langauge versions available in the black version.

Backplates for Nemo Motherboard? - It is the intention to supply a back plate.

Come with all cables right? PSU, Ethernet cable? - The system will be full pre-configured. No external ethernet cable will be supplied.

Xmos, not much talk of this, still in development? Accessible in Os4 or Linux? - Still in the works. Varisys on optional low cost Xorro card. Details to be provided.

Users Guide / Manual ? - Yes & pressed AmigaOS4 CD.

Shipped in what Box? Custom Printed Box, Factual Box, or just well package box. - Still under discussion. However. will be well packed (as all AmigaKit shipments are)

Debian Squeeze, hardware wise everything work on this right? - Yes

is this standard or this an added extra on the system? - If Installed by AmigaKit - extra.

How limited are the X1000 First Contacts? - This is the standard AmigaOne X1000 system. For "Limited Edition" read "Exclusive".

Boing Ball Case will that still be available to buy on its own, and if so when and how much? - Yes, AmigaKit will post details on their website in the near future.

Do you gain access to the Beta Forum and latest Patch releases with the X1000? - No. However, once you register AmigaOS4.1U5 with Hyperion you will be able to download official updates (AmigaOS4.2 etc) from the Hyperion website when they become available.

Any other software to be shipped with the X1000? Timberwolf? Would be nice to do a tie in offer, maybe get Freespace 2 cheaper if ordered with X1000 or Hollywood or something like that. - In discussion with Hyperion about what is included in AmigaOS4.1 Update 5.

Full warranty for one year? Correct? - Yes, on parts, materials and workmanship.

And finally thanks for living the Dream! - You are welcome

Trevor

Note: answers are correct at the time of writing.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by TrevorDick on 27-Oct-2011 at 03:10 AM.

vox 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 20:11:23
#30 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:
Do you gain access to the Beta Forum and latest Patch releases with the X1000? - No. However, once you register AmigaOS4.1U5 with Hyperion you will be able to download official updates (AmigaOS4.2 etc) from the Hyperion website when they become available

Quote:
How limited are the X1000 First Contacts? - This is the standard AmigaOne X1000 system. For "Limited Edition" read "Exclusive".

Thanks for clearning out "all of the clouds" (these two answers upper paranoia too)

Thanks for delivering such great high end OS4 desktop, hope it will bring much development and joy and that whole bach will be sold = making investment affordable.

Isn`t about time to change logo from X1000 beta tester to X1000 user?

TrevorDick 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 3:09:40
#31 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Isn`t about time to change logo from X1000 beta tester to X1000 user?

I wish!

My board is being using by AmigaKit as their test bed. I will receive my board last. I'm not even a betatester (of the X1000) at the moment.

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 27-Oct-2011 at 03:13 AM.

klx300r 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 5:17:25
#32 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Trevor, a great presentation as always my friend

You're professionalism and passion for Amiga is infectious and I cannot wait to get my hands on my cherished X1000 !
Thanks whole heartedly for keeping this party rockin and FWIW....I Believe too

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Hondo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 6:33:39
#33 ]

@TrevorDick

Quote:

I'm sorry but I still don't get it. As I understand this "limited edition" machines contain no special things compared to the final X1000 model, the one you want to ship right ?'

So the "special part" is:

Getting your greasy hands on one of the first models, and the drivers aren't written yet, but who cares you'll get them eventually, and everything will be fine. You get to follow the development of update 5 which eventually will transform into 4.2

Is this an okay description of the limited edition offer ?

The MB will not change revision afterwards ?

Sorry for asking this again, but I think this limited edition press announcement was confusing, especially because the next thing people expected was the final systems for sale, and not some confusing halfbetatest package again.

Personally I think it was a mistake making this offer, look at all the time you suddenly need to spend explaining yourself etc. Important time which perhaps should have gone into the actual release of the product instead. After all that's what we all are waiting for. I'm sure we could have waited a bit more.

Deniil715 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 8:33:00
#34 ]
Elite Member

@ddni

Quote:
I would like confirmation that after the First Contact boards are sold, the mainstream NEMO boards wont suddenly be Rev. NEMO 2.2

+1
That's with my SE-XE analogy in my first post. However, I just think that these are the boards from the first run that can be bought now which are tested and fully functional, but are probably limited in numbers. When sold out a new production run can be started (using the money from these boards) and the rest can get their X1000.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 9:32:40
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

I personally thought the news release was very clear. Maybe it's a language thing?

Your assement is correct. There are no plans to change the Nemo 2.1 motherboard.

TrevorD

vox 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 9:57:16
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Yes, its just early release with additional SATA and sound card since built in is not supported by AmigaOS 4.1 yet (as well as some other features will go with OS 4.2)

It doesn`t say "Limited edition" (if I may joke, since all X1000 are limited edition) in terms of package, golden posters etc. but "first contact" (for people to wish to have them as early as possible). This isn`t bad at all, but remember that due to CPU complete X1000 series is kind of limited edition, as almost all OS 4 hardware is.

More people should listen closely Trevors presentation, now
also on You Tube and press release was also quite clear about it.

Yes, it creates some confusion but enables people that have saved for it to have X1000 now, with just getting AmigaOS 4.2 later almost without no pentalty (Limited editions tend to be more expensive, which in X1000 case would be a overkill).

KimmoK 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 12:10:29
#37 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Interesting that Trevor's presentation.
The "xmos on PCI" card is being done and two other new HW projects, in co-operation with Varisys.

I wonder what's the rough time schedule is (other than ). 2012? 2013?

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Tuxedo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 12:17:43
#38 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

welll...maybe because a ppc bpard that have deisgned on it a boing ball and LinuxPPC wasnt more supported officailly maybe 99,9% of the customer will be Amigans?

Sorry but I not lke that point and that will be forever...

However I like X1000 also if its really expensive... :P

divina 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 18:02:59
#39 ]

@TrevorDick

Quote:
Full warranty for one year? Correct? - Yes, on parts, materials and workmanship.

only one year ... ... ... ? (sure ? ... also Apple has many problems in Italy about one year of warranty ... ... ... ... ...)

Zylesea 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 19:39:01
#40 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

According the warranty length I suggest to read EU directive 1999/44 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31999L0044:en:HTML .

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle