Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  1 secs ago
 Hypex:  8 mins ago
 AndreasM:  8 mins ago
 kolla:  17 mins ago
 Gunnar:  29 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  New beta of PortablE (r6, the beginner-friendly release)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
carvedeye 
Re: New beta of PortablE (r6, the beginner-friendly release)
Posted on 27-Nov-2011 17:10:43
#21 ]

@mrdarek

Thats great :)

Profile     Report this post  
ChrisH 
Posted on 27-Nov-2011 18:14:35
#22 ]
Elite Member

@carvedeye
The SDK can be installed anywhere, as the SDK: assignment points to it. PortablE can be installed anywhere, but it's commands should be installed into C: unless you know better.

mrdarek 
Posted on 27-Nov-2011 18:32:28
#23 ]

@ChrisH

SDK is like system part - I not have courage install it anywhere.
Portable can be updated and I worry about conflict (like I had on Aros), so better I use default paths.
Ofcourse - is user choice where are install programs...

carvedeye 
Posted on 28-Nov-2011 9:26:27
#24 ]

Ok so i have just installed the SDK and PortablE, now what? how do i open the program ?

mrdarek 
Posted on 28-Nov-2011 10:18:18
#25 ]

@carvedeye

Now download an example from chris example page. Save it as filename.e
open shell and type:
stack 100000
pegcc path_to_file.e

it should start compiling...

Last edited by mrdarek on 28-Nov-2011 at 10:25 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Nov-2011 10:21:16
#26 ]
Elite Member

@carvedeye Quote:
how do i open the program

I'm not sure what you mean. I suggest that you read the manual which comes with PortablE. But using the on-line version, I can point you to where to get started:
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/PortablE.html#2_2 (chapter 2.2. What should I read?)

The first thing it points you to read is the early parts of chapter 4. A quick start:
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/PortablE.html#4_0

Then it says to read the Standard Functionality guide (also included with PortablE) :
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/StandardFunctionality.html

and all the examples in the 'Examples/std' folder.

EDIT: corrected typo (mean=>read)

Last edited by ChrisH on 21-Jan-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Nov-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Nov-2011 at 10:22 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 17:15:30
#27 ]
Elite Member

Today (5th March 2012) I have uploaded a new PortablE beta of my modernised AmigaE programming language. While development has moved slower, I have still made a lot of bug fixes, plus added some new features:

* The Amiga installer has been greatly improved. It uses choice requesters, it has a Simple Installation mode, you can finally change the PEmodules assignment, and more. Thanks to Hypex for suggestions!

* Added some new functions to the cGfx & cGfxSprites modules.

* cGui windows now receive a close request when Exchange tries to remove the app.

* cSnd has been heavily rewritten, and should be rock-solid (not that I noticed a problem before).

* cPath now properly supports soft & hard links.

* Added support for AmigaOS4's application.library .

* Greatly improved memory handling; no-longer becomes very slow in certain situations, won't crash when allocation requests fail (ouch), and also handles low-memory situations better.

* On AmigaOS4 executable sizes have been reduced by up to 60-120KB, thanks to an OS4 SDK discovery made by Kas1e.

* cGfx's drawCircle() now works correctly.

* Fixed various small bugs.

I have also replaced the "Shadow Of The Beast like" demo with one that is much closer to the original game.

scabit 
Posted on 6-Mar-2012 15:09:10
#28 ]

@carvedeye

PortableE is a compiled language, it is not a "Visual" language like Visual C++ or Visual Basic. As Such, you use a text editor to write the code and then use the command PEgcc to compile the code into an executable as you would with the "C" labguage.
To my knowledge it does not have an IDE front end available, although I suspect CodeBench could be set up to easily support PortableE programming and make compiling a little easier.

Scott

ChrisH 
Posted on 20-Mar-2012 18:29:25
#29 ]
Elite Member

Today (20th March 2012) I have uploaded a new PortablE beta of my modernised AmigaE programming language. Fixes a couple of serious problems:

* Fixed a video memory leak caused by bitmaps not being auto-deallocated when the program quits (nor when the window is destroyed), for the 'std/cGfx' module.

* Worked-around the installer failing on Icaros v1.4.0, because it comes with an incorrect config file.

There are also a couple of smaller improvements:

* If you let the installer move the PEmodules folder on Icaros, then you would get a harmless error message every time Icaros booted. Now fixed.

* You can now use CreateGfxWindow() & DestroyGfxWindow() with the 'std/cGfxSpritesSimple' module

ChrisH 
Posted on 9-Apr-2012 11:35:25
#30 ]
Elite Member

Today (9th April 2012) I have uploaded a new PortablE beta of my modernised AmigaE programming language. This brings the 'std/cGfx' module close to being finished:

* The 'std/cGfx' module now uses Compositing/Alpha-blending (where supported) for h/w accelerated drawing of masked bitmaps. This means the new SOTB demo is now fast & smooth on AmigaOS4 & MorphOS.

* The 'std/cGfx' module now supports screens < = 256 colours.

* For 'std/cGfx', added tentative AmigaOS3 support, and compiled almost all the examples for AmigaOS3. (I would be interested to know if they work on Natami.)

* For 'std/cGfx', added missing stuff like reading pixel colours, rotating bitmaps, and generating masks using pictures with more than 256 colours.

* For 'std/cGfx', scaling bitmaps is now much faster on AmigaOS4 (probably uses AltiVec acceleration).

* For 'std/cGfx', scaling masked bitmaps is MUCH faster on AROS. So the SOTB demo now starts quickly.

* For 'std/cGfx', fixed various bugs.

* For 'std/cPath', added the create() method as an (often nicer) alternative to open().

* Added Picasso96 & Cybergraphics modules.

* Added the missing CompositeTagList() for OS4.

* PEGCC's DEBUG switch now creates executables with debug info on OSes other than AmigaOS4 (likely to be useful on AROS).

* Updated the examples StarsXY_ToySpaceshipSprite1.e & StarsZYX_ToySpaceshipSprite1.e to use the now-required addToGfx() method, and corrected the documention about creating a sub-class of cGfxDrawable.

Last edited by ChrisH on 09-Apr-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 09-Apr-2012 at 11:38 AM.

mrdarek 
Posted on 9-Apr-2012 14:01:28
#31 ]

@ChrisH

Very thanks for new release.
I see in documentation that simple gfx module also supported for Amiga OS3 and even cGui - so I try soon compile my programs for Amiga OS3 :)

ChrisH 
Posted on 9-Apr-2012 15:16:58
#32 ]
Elite Member

@mrdarek
cGui module has supported OS3 for ages! But yes, cGfx & all related modules (e.g. cGfxSprites) now work on OS3 (via AGA chipset). Beware that AGA is limited to 256 colours on screen, so you will get poor graphics if you try to use too many colours

I have only tested OS3 via WinUAE, so I don't know how fast it works on a real Amiga... possibly slow? If that is the case then I may have to add Cybergraphics support for OS3. I do not expect cGfx's OS3 support to be finished for final r6 release, but it is a good start.

Compiling OS3 executables is a bit tricky, as you need a working GCC installation. The AmigaE compiler would have been a good alternative to GCC, but I need to fix PortablE's AmigaE code generation. At the moment the simplest way is to use AmiDevCpp on Windows. The Windows version of PortablE can generate AmigaOS3 C++ code, so you can do everything from Windows.

Last edited by ChrisH on 09-Apr-2012 at 03:20 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 9-Apr-2012 16:07:05
#33 ]
Elite Member

Fixed a stupid error, which crept into the new PortablE release, which especially effected compiling on AmigaOS4. Please re-download!

mrdarek 
Posted on 9-Apr-2012 16:08:41
#34 ]

@ChrisH
I want work under AmiKit 1.6.1 installed on Windows. On Aminet is only Gcc 2.7 - is this OK for compiling?
I want install PortablE and gcc on AmiKit - is this enough for work?

I have big trouble set AmiDevCpp under Windows I need screen by screen tutorial for beginners for it :(

At this moment my first try preparing cpp code under AmigaOS4 for AmigaOS3 is fail (shell full of errors). Other errors I describing for you in email... :(

Read post higher: OK - I downloading and try fixed version now!!!

Last edited by mrdarek on 09-Apr-2012 at 04:10 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 8-Oct-2012 9:02:30
#35 ]
Elite Member

Today (8th October 2012) I have released a new PortablE beta of my modernised AmigaE programming language. The changes include:

* AmigaOS4: Added some missing Commodities & Exec library functions.
* AmigaOS4: Memory allocations now follow the latest guidance. This should ensure that swap is fully utilised, which may be especially handy for the PortablE compiler itself.
* AROS: Got rid of harmless "superfluous cast" warnings that happened when automatically compiling a few modules.
* For the 'std/cPath' module, finally added 64-bit file support for AmigaOS4, and improved handling of files over 2GB for AROS, MorphOS & AmigaOS3.
* For the 'std/cGfx' module, it now uses real double-buffering for Full Screen (except on AROS). This can make animation smoother, and on AmigaOS3 it looks much much better.
* For the 'std/cGfx' module, added the ability to change window position & hide the mouse pointer.
* For the 'std/cGfx' module, fixed a couple of corrupted graphics bugs.
* For the 'std/cGfxSprites' module, made setData() & getData() easier to use, and added setDataPtr() & getDataPtr() for the old behaviour.
* For the 'std/cGui' module, windows can now be vertically resizable, and greatly improved the GUI layout code.
* For the 'std/cGui' module, added cGuiText, and changed how cGuiTextBox behaves. (The new cGuiText behaves similar to how cGuiTextBox used to, so switch to that if you only need to display one line of text.)
* For the 'std/cGui' module, the window's size & position can now be read & changed, just like cGfx.
* For the 'std/cGui' module, added some useful methods, and replaced cGuiWindow's setGhosted() with setBusy() & getBusy(). Also iconified windows now use the program's icon.
* For the 'std/cGui' module, fixed a performance issue, and also a crash which could occur when a window closed.
* For the 'std/cPath' module, split it into several smaller modules, which should allow simple programs to have smaller executables & slightly faster compilation times.
* For the 'std/cPath' module, replaced makePath() with getPath() & setPath().
* For the 'dos/dos' module, made BPTR a real pointer type, so that such variables are now auto-initialised to NIL like you would expect.
* For the 'devices/ahi' module, recreated this module for all targets, using the latest AHI header files. This helped fix various minor issues.
* For the 'dos' & 'icon' modules, BOOL return values (0,-1) were actually C boolean values (0,1). Fixed.
* Removed *Tags() procedures from the modules 'Picasso96API', 'dos', 'exec', 'graphics', 'icon' & 'identify'.
* Duplicate RAISE statements would cause a compilation crash instead of an error message. Also RAISE were incorrectly being inherited between modules in certain situations.
* Fixed many AmigaE code generation bugs & a few module problems, such that all the "std" examples can now be compiled using AmigaE rather than GCC.
* Fixed a few other bugs.

For the full list of changes & additional details, please see the documentation's History chapter.

Also note that I have updated & recompiled all the examples.

KimmoK 
Posted on 8-Oct-2012 9:33:20
#36 ]
Elite Member

@all

We need a review of Amiga programming languages....

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

1Mouse 
Posted on 8-Oct-2012 12:28:05
#37 ]

@KimmoK

How about a list of languages, who uses them and what is produced with them?

Possible reviews on said languages as well, so people planning on coding have a clearer view of the languages.

personally I use Hollywood

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

ChrisH 
Posted on 8-Oct-2012 17:38:06
#38 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse & Kimmok
Please take this discussion to a new thread (unless specifically discussing PortablE), as it is Off Topic. Thanks.

EDIT: As far as what programs have been written using PortablE, I list quite a few in the Standard Functionality document, such as:

AmiSystemRestore ( http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=utility/misc/amisystemrestore.lha )
PictureAlbum ( http://cshandley.co.uk )
FolderSync2 ( http://cshandley.co.uk )
AmigaAttributes ( http://cshandley.co.uk )

FlowerWay ( http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=game/puzzle/flowerway.lha )
HueFlow ( http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=game/puzzle/hueflow.lha )
Ami-Scratch ( http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=graphics/misc/amiscratch.lha )
Ami-Bootguard ( http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=utility/misc/ami-bootguard.lha )
Ami-Lineapolis ( http://www.lineapolis.dizzy.pl )

I need to add the best (and most recent) game:
Ami-Ingenious ( http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=game/board/ami-ingenious.lha )
(EDIT: Now added!)

Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 05:45 PM.

ddni 
Posted on 8-Oct-2012 17:48:07
#39 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Hi Chris this looks like a great program to try, however my coding experience begins and ends with 10 PRINT.

How accessible is portableIE?
Do you have time to support complete beginners like me?

ChrisH 
Posted on 8-Oct-2012 17:55:19
#40 ]
Elite Member

@ddni Quote:
How accessible is portableIE?

I like to think that PortablE is about as accessible as is possible for a compiled language (something like Hollywood is interpreted), but learning any programming language IMHO requires a certain ability to work out how to solve problems on your own (by looking up information & experimenting).

I put a lot of effort into making the "std" modules as easy to use as possible, while still being fairly powerful & flexible. I was aiming at being about the same level as (and was inspired by) languages like AMOS.

Quote:
Do you have time to support complete beginners like me?

I don't have the time to "hold your hand", but I can provide help with specific questions. PortablE has a forum where you can do that:
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=28
(Beware that it defaults to only showing threads from the last 100 days - there is much more!)
(Note that the forum supports ALL OSes despite it being hosted on Aros Exec, thanks to their generosity.)

I do however provide a selection of example programs with PortablE, and they are even pre-compiled for you to try out here:
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/examples/

While PortablE has a lot of documentation, it could still do with more:
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/StandardFunctionality.html
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/PortablE.html
(Especially read the What should I read? chapter.)

Years ago Jason Hulance wrote a very good "beginners guide" to AmigaE (upon which PortablE is based). I haven't had time to update it (yet) for PortablE, but you should be able to follow quite a lot of his guide using PortablE's "AmigaE backwards compatibility mode" (accessed via OptAmigaE or OPT AMIGAE):
http://cshandley.co.uk/JasonHulance/

Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 08-Oct-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle