Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 144 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  46 mins ago
 clint:  48 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Bounties
      /  Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
itix 
Re: Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 6:12:26
#121 ]
Elite Member

@Toaks

Quote:

nothing stops anyone from running it in Classic Amiga,WinUAE(or Euae etc) or MorphOS though, i am pretty sure they had atleast one of the 3.

I see you never ported anything.

Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 6:38:30
#122 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:

Haha :) But seriusly imho there is just some asm-based parts which can be not that easy as expected. Thats in general the only real parts about which i can think.

Nah, you dont have to port 68k asm to anything. When I ported FileMaster I incorporated 68k asm parts as 68k object code in PPC native binary. It is easier if they were rewritten in C but for initial port it is not a requirement. (Though, I didn't take care of alignment issues so I struggled with it for a while.)

But if you are porting 68k application to PPC you can complete your port much faster if you can run 68k port on your PPC OS (not in WinUAE, real Amiga, another OS etc). You can easily run into problems if you are not careful so the first objective of porting is getting 1:1 PPC native build. If PPC build has broken graphics you have to check if 68k build is also having broken graphics. If not, you made an error. If 68k build is also broken then you know it is just an incompatibility issue in the OS and create a workaround later. But if you can't compare the original 68k build on your system you are only guessing. It is much more work, much more trouble.

Another thing is that some porters are trying to port everything at once. Main application, support libraries, handlers etc... not that I am necessarily any better. My Audio Evolution 3 port is still crashing when it opens its GUI. 68k build is working just fine. But at least I know it is just my fault and not some obscure OS bug/source code issue.

As far as Magellan and OS4 concerned it is possible you never get working port. There is no working 68k build and nobody can guarantee he could get it working.

Last edited by itix on 26-Jan-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Last edited by itix on 26-Jan-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Toaks 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 9:00:22
#123 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@Toaks

Quote:

nothing stops anyone from running it in Classic Amiga,WinUAE(or Euae etc) or MorphOS though, i am pretty sure they had atleast one of the 3.

I see you never ported anything.

umm, aminet (400+)and os4depot (200+) claims the opposite.

kas1e 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 9:16:40
#124 ]
Elite Member

@Itix
Quote:

Nah, you dont have to port 68k asm to anything. When I ported FileMaster I incorporated 68k asm parts as 68k object code in PPC native binary. It is easier if they were rewritten in C but for initial port it is not a requirement. (Though, I didn't take care of alignment issues so I struggled with it for a while.)

Imho having any assembler parts today in any code a bit suck, and if we will take in account AROS on i386 (where those 68k objects will just not works), its still mean that this 1% of asm code of magellan should be rewriting to C , to be fully cross-platform

Quote:

As far as Magellan and OS4 concerned it is possible you never get working port. There is no working 68k build and nobody can guarantee he could get it working.

Not sure that i understand that you mean. Did you trying to say, that if os4 can't handle 68k port, there is unpossible lately to fix it to works as ppc native (when of course, 68k parts will be rewriten to C) ? Imho its just unpossible. I mean, you always can found a bug and fix it, its just can be hard or not so hard. Workorounds and other stuff. By the same logic you can say that port for AROS can't happens (but it of course can)

Last edited by kas1e on 26-Jan-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Last edited by kas1e on 26-Jan-2012 at 09:17 AM.

smf 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 10:01:12
#125 ]

Why not spend the money on making Ambient better and available for all OS'es instead? It's quite good already and with some hard work i'm sure it could be made really usefull.

cheesegrate 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 11:13:51
#126 ]

@smf

ambient is for mos only because we are superiour, all other amiga os must sit at back of bus

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

itix 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 11:20:31
#127 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:

Did you trying to say, that if os4 can't handle 68k port, there is unpossible lately to fix it to works as ppc native

Problem is that OS4 core may have changed so much that you can't get it working anymore without rewriting it from scratch. In this case the problem is deep in AmigaDOS and as I see only way to get it working on OS4 is "fixing" 68k build and then attempt PPC native port.

Or get help from OS4 developers but I guess that was not possible at that time.

Quote:

By the same logic you can say that port for AROS can't happens (but it of course can)

We will see. I am sure there will be developer who can port Magellan II to AROS.

jPV 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 14:36:16
#128 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:

Interesting to learn from GPSoft's words that some people said they were interested in it just to block someone else from having the sources... That's so lame & stupid...

We'd probably have Magellan2 based desktop on MorphOS instead of the clone and maybe overall progress would have been much snappier, but who knows... at least the blocking was successful.

Leo 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 14:46:13
#129 ]

Quote:

We'd probably have Magellan2 based desktop on MorphOS instead of the clone and maybe overall progress would have been much snappier, but who knows... at least the blocking was successful.

Yes, and useless... MorphOS wrote another thing quite nice desktop (Ambient), and since it was fake, OS4 is stuck with the old WB. You might call it "successful", I wouldn't :)

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 14:51:16
#130 ]
Cult Member

@jPV + Leo

Quote:

jPV wrote:
@Leo
Quote:

Leo wrote:
Interesting to learn from GPSoft's words that some people said they were interested in it just to block someone else from having the sources... That's so lame & stupid...

Yeah, this part is equally interesting, especially the bolded sentences:

"While I have no direct evidence but considering the fact that they widely promoted the deal and their future development plans, it has been suggested to us by a few that they were never serious about development and their behaviour was a stalling tactic"

It'd be good to know who were "the few", it's always better to know every side of the story, you know (and some evidence wouldn't hurt too)

Daedalus 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 15:02:03
#131 ]

@cheesegrate

Quote:

cheesegrate wrote:

ambient is for mos only because we are superiour, all other amiga os must sit at back of bus

Superiour like your spelling and grammar? Come on, what sort of cheap shot is that at all? Grow up!

Leo 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 16:46:53
#132 ]

Quote:

It'd be good to know who were "the few", it's always better to know every side of the story, you know (and some evidence wouldn't hurt too)

Oh, you're right: let's hear about Hyperion's "official" answer... Oh wait! Guess what ? They wouldn't tell it even if it was the case, would they ?

So... Well, GPSoft *must* be wrong then, Hyperion *must* be the good guys and this *must* be a coincidence.

(Notice the words *outlined*)

Last edited by Leo on 26-Jan-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Toaks 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 17:19:07
#133 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

what about all the stuff that bbrv etc blocked for os4 then?

To every app/game/tool etc that has been blocked by either side has shown its side effects over the last decade and that is one of many reasons to why the last developers left AmigaOS and its variants, 15 minute port job and they would have sold twice as much... but due to fanboyism and zealots they where forced (bbrv's tactics for instance)to stick with only one of the sides OR ELSE!.

and yes, exclusive software is what defines a platform indeed,i know that but can we really afford that in the state of MorphOS,AmigaOS,AROS communities.. ?

so, what was your point again?
I'd say, stop being a cry baby and move on.

Leo 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 17:33:44
#134 ]

double post: please delete.

Last edited by Leo on 26-Jan-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 17:34:10
#135 ]

Quote:

what about all the stuff that bbrv etc blocked for os4 then?

It's as bad. And should be *acknowledged* as well.

Last edited by Leo on 26-Jan-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 26-Jan-2012 20:24:15
#136 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

Oh, you're right: let's hear about Hyperion's "official" answer... Oh wait! Guess what ? They wouldn't tell it even if it was the case, would they ?
So... Well, GPSoft *must* be wrong then, Hyperion *must* be the good guys and this *must* be a coincidence.
(Notice the words *outlined*)

Don't put in my mouth words i haven't said. I'm not defending anyone (neither Hyperion)... i'm sorry to break your feeble humor but i haven't said anywhere that GPSoft MUST be wrong and Hyperion MUST be right... i've just said that you can't draw a whole set of conclusions based on rumors and vague assumptions and it's not *FAIR* to just listen to an unsubstantiated (by GPSoft's own admission) voice or a single side. It doesn't imply that - at the end - Hyperion MUST be absolutely right and GPSoft MUST be absoultely wrong, i can accept the contrary and live happily - surprise!
This is a valid principle, regardless the case and the players.
Also, you apparently missed the piece about "the few" who suggested that, on which i'm curious enough.
(Notice the *outlined* word)

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jan-2012 6:50:02
#137 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I wasn't making any joke. This time. But which part looked like a joke?

As mentioned, DOpus5 was meant to be ported to AmigaOS4 by GuruMeditation. No joke.

This just disappeared. OctaMED was also meant to be ported to OS4 as well. But I think I stuffed that up when I wrote that MaestroPro AHI handler that allowed OctaMED 68k to play music on OS4 and MOS.

There may have been other projects but these are all I can recall.

OlafS25 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 9:24:01
#138 ]
Elite Member

@ALL

I have the answer of GPSoft. They only want to release the source AFTER payment. I do not know if there is then still interest and I should create the bounty. What do you think? I do not think GPSoft wants to cheat us but nevertheless I do not want to take the risk for the whole sum (but of course for my donation). What do you think?

KimmoK 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 10:35:34
#139 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

It would help if GuruMeditation could share some information of how usable the DopusMagellan codebase is for NG systems and what show stopper they faced.

Could some group of programmers "go and see" the code and comment how portable it is and potentially make an offer to do the porting??? Then donating to get DMagellan opensourced would make more sense.
Could it function as a modern workbench replacement for AOS4+AROS?

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

jPV 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 11:17:07
#140 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@ALL

I have the answer of GPSoft. They only want to release the source AFTER payment. I do not know if there is then still interest and I should create the bounty. What do you think? I do not think GPSoft wants to cheat us but nevertheless I do not want to take the risk for the whole sum (but of course for my donation). What do you think?

Uhm... what else they could do than release it after the payment? Of course they aren't giving it away before knowing if the needed money is get? Or what part I don't get here? :)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle