Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  13 mins ago
 michalsc:  18 mins ago
 amigakit:  54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 Tpod:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 Birbo:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Bounties
      /  Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 12:30:42
#81 ]
Elite Member

@vulture

I will send it this evening for approval and then propably tomorrow to power2people. I think the price is fair for such a program and then we will see how much real interest is here (and not just the typical "I need..." what you can read everywhere). Regarding Magellan ask the users who use it (f.e. under MorphOS)

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 12:33:05
#82 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I think some amiga-users seem to live in a own-world. You will find noone that has to earn money and will port it to several platforms and opensource it for 4000 EUR. Or we could create a bounty for 50.000 EUR, but I doubt that we would collect the money.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 12:34:08
#83 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

and again it is not a project targetting one platform, be it Aros or anything other

kas1e 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 12:51:29
#84 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

As for me, you do everything right and understand the problems pretty clear. 4000E from all the camps is nothing. And while other ones can cry how it old, or how it not interesting, and how filer/ambient/wandarer good, i know for sure, that after it will be released and ported to all platforms, it will rockz. 4000 from all of us, what is that ? It not that someone alone pay the full price.

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 13:27:03
#85 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

aros was only an example. supporting all platforms adds complexity beyond that. actually for the idea you have my full support. what concerns the money it remains to be seen, as i have no cards and paypal account currently.

@kas1e: so you have an idea who might pick it up?

Bit7 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 13:36:11
#86 ]

CLIMate->DMaster->Opus->(can't remember MUI based)
opus was The best!

kas1e 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 13:40:45
#87 ]
Elite Member

@wawa
Quote:

so you have an idea who might pick it up?

Not that i mean that i will do that (i am not good programmer), but if not one else after a while, then i will try to do it the way as i do with muiowb: annoing everyone and everythere till what is need it will not done, with my help, or without :)

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 13:43:29
#88 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Perhaps you can ask Andreas Loong if he would take the OS4 port.

kas1e 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 13:47:16
#89 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

For first we need code :) And better of course its to have and the very latest one , and that version, which works fine on morphos. I.e. to have in the worse scenario working aos4/aros version as well (the same as mos use as 68k).

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 13:50:48
#90 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

I will send the bounty-text today to GPSoft and when I get approval tomorrow to power2people. And then it should start

jPV 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 14:06:55
#91 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

The main thing is that source is made free, it's been in limbo for too many years. It's not that important that porting for each platform is assigned. The most important thing is that it's not in some individual's hands blocking its availablity to certain or all platforms by political or management reasons.

I'm perfectly happy to pay some amount for the bounty even if it only would get small updates to the current 68k version. Or even if it doesn't happen instantly, but it will be possible in the future. If someone ports it to some other platform it's a bonus, but I don't expect it to happen necessarily.

Anyway, it's the best program I've ever bought and I'm still using it on all my classic Amigas from 030/AGA to 060/RTG as well as on next gen MorphOS systems. I've paid it earlier and I'll donate to get it available for future needs for everyone.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 14:48:12
#92 ]

@OlafS25

I, propably, must be, the most hardcore DOpus user on aw.net. I mean, I can't leave without it, be it OS3.x AND Windows. It's running as my explorer replacement since day 1, when it was released for x86.

That said, I can't agree with the amount of money requested. Because, I am fairly sure that the total sum, will surplus 6k Euros, in ease. Remind me a bounty that reached those numbers and it was successful as well. Too ambitious imo. Cause, having the code, may be the first step but I am sure, afterwards, a new bounty will have to opened for porting the software to all platforms.

DOpus on Amiga, made its' life cycle as a product. Asking for 4k Euros is simply ... It is, as if they expect to sell 100 more licences on the market. They either don't have any idea regardung what is left on the Amiga scene anymore or they simply gamble on products' good name.

IMHO, better implement some important features of DOpus on Filer/Wandere/Ambient and move on. Even if we have to open a new bounty with the same price tag that GPS requests, I would pretty much prefer it.

Metalheart 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 14:54:02
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
IMHO, better implement some important features of DOpus on Filer/Wandere/Ambient and move on. Even if we have to open a new bo

I very much agree ! It could be much cheaper aswel

Take Filer and expand the hell out of it !

Last edited by Metalheart on 25-Jan-2012 at 02:54 PM.

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Leo 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 14:56:43
#94 ]

@Cool_amigaN: I have to agree on the fact we'll need to find someone to do the actual work after that. And seeing the amount of dead projects like this one (Aladdin: hello ? ;) previous attempts at porting DOpus by GuruMeditation,...) it's not that easy. But the thing is, as long as it's closed source, there's no way it can evolve, and can be considered dead (even though it *is* still useful of course). If it's open sourced, it can be fixed. It may not be because it's not that easy, but at least the possibility is there... Not to mention the source code of such a big project could be useful even for learning purposes.

Interesting to learn from GPSoft's words that some people said they were interested in it just to block someone else from having the sources... That's so lame & stupid...

AmiKit 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 15:14:29
#95 ]

Quote:
OlafS25 wrote:
I will send the bounty-text today to GPSoft and when I get approval tomorrow to power2people. And then it should start

Olaf, I insist on you. DO NOT HURRY THE THINGS UP! Think twice before you act, otherwise the whole project could crash.

First of all, post the bounty text to some public place first (eg. google documents) and give other people ENOUGH time to send their suggestions, modifications, etc. so at the end it's well written and the bounty is well defined and bullet proof.

Also the bounty text should be different to the agreement you send to GPSoft. They don't care about the bounty. I mean they don't care how money are raised. All they want is the money for the license plus an agreement that the new Magellan will be used on Amiga platforms only.

Regarding the bounty itself, increase the chance of raising enough money and prepare a good plan, a good project! Get some people involved, assure some resources first, whatever, it's not just "let the sources be free, huraaaay!". Otherwise, if nobody takes care of the sources later, we will end up with the most expensive "huray" in Amiga history ever. Contact some people who already have some experience with bounties (eg. Troels and others) and ask them for help. Read what happened to other bounties http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4680 and assure people that your one will be different.

Last edited by AmiKit on 25-Jan-2012 at 03:15 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 15:22:18
#96 ]
Elite Member

@AmiKit

I really have no interest anymore because I have already invested some time. It is better that you take the task I would say.

It is nerving me a little already...

AmiKit 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 15:35:56
#97 ]

Quote:
I really have no interest anymore because I have already invested some time. It is better that you take the task I would say.

No offence, but you have started something and didn't think of what's required to finish it right. In this case better find someone reliable who could finish it instead of you precisely. But if you rush it yourself, you really risk the bounty will fail. For example I personally will not donate any money to such a project because I can easily imagine the 4000EUR will be spent for nothing. The sources will be free but that's it.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate what you did and I thank you for it. It's just necessary to finish it correctly. By you or someone else (not me, sorry, I have no time for this).

terminills 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 15:50:11
#98 ]
AROS Core Developer

@AmiKit

Quote:

AmiKit wrote:
Quote:

No offence, but you have started something and didn't think of what's required to finish it right. In this case better find someone reliable who could finish it instead of you precisely. But if you rush it yourself, you really risk the bounty will fail. For example I personally will not donate any money to such a project because I can easily imagine the 4000EUR will be spent for nothing. The sources will be free but that's it.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate what you did and I thank you for it. It's just necessary to finish it correctly. By you or someone else (not me, sorry, I have no time for this).

I have no interest in a Magellan port to AROS however I would pay towards a bounty that opened the source. To me the source is more valuable than a port any day. :)

Last edited by terminills on 25-Jan-2012 at 03:51 PM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 15:55:32
#99 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

I will initiate the bounty as planned. It is clear that it is about open the source (not porting it to any platform). Who is interested in it can donate, who has a different view shall not...

BrandonLee 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 16:33:37
#100 ]

@zerohero

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree that a privately owned company would owe the community feedback on one of their projects at all. If they wanted to share information with us, fine, if not, equally fine. Besides, several attempts were made to fix this problem, including hiring several developers, all of them failed for one reason or the other.

I think you may have misunderstood me.
In no way was Guru Meditation obligated to share anything with the community.
But I, as a user, have the right to express what I think of their actions

Again, I wasn't demanding better "treatment" from Guru Meditation, just saying it wasn't well handled. I base this on the fact that the community (their potential "client") wasn't aware the project stalled.

Quote:
GuruMeditation released a press release about it, I'm sure Number6 has the link somewhere in his giant link-archive.

If that is true, I apologise for missing it. It seems I was not the only one, though.

Quote:
Do you even know what GuruMeditation tried, or didn't try, to do for this project? I very much doubt you do, to be honest.

I don't, except for what was stated here, namely the reason the project was shelved.

Sorry, but I still feel I wasn't rude to Guru Meditation (to whom I have absolutely nothing against).
In the Amiga world, everyone making the slightest critique is labelled a troll or ungrateful.
If I think something didn't go well, I can and will say it. These forums are made for sharing opinions and feelings.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle