Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 151 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 blmara:  10 mins ago
 miggymac:  53 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 30 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 4 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 50 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 9 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
RodTerl 
Re: Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 12:58:49
#181 ]
Cult Member

The classis AOS has to halt the entire system on an interupt? I always thought that due to the seperation of chip RAM and custom chipset from the CPU RAM space by Gary, that Pauia could DMA audio out, while the Copper and Blitter are manipulating the screen, at teh same time the CPU is isolated, and running a watchdog interupt in Fastram to service the round robin function of the multitasking enviroment?

When did the Classic Amiga stop having 7 independant asynchronous cooperative logic processing units?

Or has Wintel thinking become so embedded in our collective conciousness we can no longer handle even 1980s multitasking thinking? 8(

EDIT:

Apparently the 68030 could carry out up to 5 seperate actions at the same time, read from Instruction cache, read from data cache, set up MMU for page translation, but more importantly, it has 2 32 bit registeres dedicated to block transfers of data between anytwo places in 32 bit memory, independantly of CPU control.

The 68030 has a simple Blitter built in. Which can move data while ht CPU is working on its own internal operations.

How much more parrallel distribution of effort is needed before we no longer have single threaded processors or code?

Last edited by RodTerl on 03-Feb-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
samo79 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 13:00:42
#182 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e & @ChrisH

Come-on boyz ..

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

hotrod 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 13:06:22
#183 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Come on! This is the same old cr*p that's been going on for more than 10 years now I think. The same people are making it hard for some others that are in favour of AOS 4.

IMO it wouldn't matter much if those people got banned because you're nothing but trouble in the way that you act. No you are a difficult one because on one hand you've done things for AOS 4 that are VERY much appreciated but sometimes I don't get you at all.

Why pick on one person, because that is exactly what's going on here and also what kind of users are responsible? They all come from MOS. What happened? Did they close Arkham Asylum and some of those people became MOS users?

Just stop, it's been 10 years... you think that's enough?! Start acting like grown up mature people. When I began with Amigas it was great all up to the point where this silly MOS vs AOS war began. Out of nowhere came MOS users acting like this and it's been going on ever since destroying anything and everyting enjoyable about this platform. I can't see anything sane about that behaviour.
Now, not everyone are like that but there are some that never disapoint when it comes to bad behaviour. Do you think that I regret for one secons that I never bought a Pegasos when I was about to choose? I would honestly had hated to spend my time reading topics written by some MOS users. It got nothing to do with the Amiga, it got nothing to do with anything at all. It's bullying and since everyone is grown ups I find it so hard to accept and even believe, it just shouldn't exist, not at this level.

Stop it and be glad there is anything Amiga left at all IF you care. But that is apparently not what you're after, you're just little trouble-makers that never grew up, I can not see it in any other way.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 13:44:04
#184 ]

@hotrod

Friend, what you don't get from kas1e, exactly? Vlad speaks his mind openly. If something is ####ty, he calls it that way. The same, other ppl do here. Not anyone who says e.g.: "LOL, look at the amateurish 3D benchmarks of AOS", is a troll (call it mos user whatever). If someone can't handle the truth (because in the above example, the benchrmaks will show indeed amateurish results) then nothing can't be done. If kas1e hadn't this can do attitude, we would still rely on the crippled (first) version of (ra)OWB, mui wouldn't improve along with a ton of ports, bugs fixed etc.

And finally, AOS is not a charity. Users PAY for the product. And pay, a damn PREMIUM price. It has a commercial company behind it, developing the OS and partners developing the Hardware. We are all here because we share common roots (1.x-3.x) and all the users of ng aos have paid for the expreience. If they find that experience is ####ty, it is their right to call it this way. You or anyone else, hasn't any right to enforce them how they will express themselves.

zerohero 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 13:46:44
#185 ]
Team Member

@thread

Enough off-topic now, no more discussing users. Last warning.

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 13:56:19
#186 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Amiga_3k

Mac Pro - £2,221.00 incl. VAT

* Part number: Z0LF

Configuration

* One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”
* 6 GB (3 x 2 GB)
* 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
* ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

* One 18x SuperDrive
* Magic Mouse
* Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (British) & User's Guide (English)
* Country Kit

This piece of Apple kit is considered prohibitively expensive and yet is STILL cheaper than the X1000!

In my book £2,221.00 for the Apple is more expensive than £1915.01 for the A1X1k...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

We at least need a Flat Screen LCD Monitor included with our AmigaOne for that price

I already have flatscreens...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

and a software bundle!

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Also, will Timberwolf be included with OS4.2?

Will it be done when OS 4.2 sees the light?

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 14:10:35
#187 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Quote:

-Sam- wrote:
@BigD

Also I am interested to see how exactly the XMOS chip is used.

Tell us if there's enough information on the XMOS chip in the manual, please! And if the manual has suggestions on what it can be used for...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 14:15:11
#188 ]
Elite Member

@amigasociety

Quote:

amigasociety wrote:
@-Sam-

I bet Trevor makes another run.

I bet he continues having beta testers refine things and once all his current X1000 have officially made it to the customers, and he has some $ to put back into paying himself back, he will go for the next round, until at one point not enough are selling and then the official stopage and move onto next model.

I would bet this system since it took 2 years to finally sell will be the tops in its class for a number of years before something newer bader comes out.

tj

Yes - he is working on another batch - I mailed him and asked exactly this question - this is what he replied:
"...Do not despair, we are now working on the next phase and will release more information when it is available.

rgds,

Trevor
"

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 14:17:46
#189 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Quote:

realize wrote:
@umisef

Yeah $3k you can buy a car in usa :P

Do such cars run AOS 4.2?

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 14:24:58
#190 ]
Elite Member

@Georg

Quote:

Georg wrote:
@itix

Quote:
In my opinion A-eon should ask 50% more than what is current price of X1000.

... for those who say price is okay and give that back to those who say it isn't.

Why should all the whiners be awarded for not saving money for the A1X1k?

Dandy

Rose 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 14:33:29
#191 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

Quote:
In my book £2,221.00 for the Apple is more expensive than £1915.01 for the A1X1k...

It's not anymore when you add VAT for X1000 price...

BrandonLee 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 15:34:58
#192 ]

@Dandy

Quote:

The deal breaker here is the software.
On the Apple you have tons of programs/games/whatever. And high quality, user-friendly ones at that.
That's why I'm considering buying one (not the Mac Pro, that is out of my reach. Maybe the lower-specced iMac).

The proposition from Amiga is: buy this expensive hardware on the "possibility" that software will come later on.
That is legit on their part, but it will certainly faze out a lot of users.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 15:37:35
#193 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
Yes - he is working on another batch - I mailed him and asked exactly this question - this is what he replied:

I certainly hope so. And hope the price comes down a little. If it ever reaches iMac territory (EUR1300 give or take), it may become an option for me.

Not sure if I can wait much longer, though. Almost a year now using Windows, I think it's enough. ;)

BrandonLee 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 15:40:15
#194 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
Why should all the whiners be awarded for not saving money for the A1X1k?

Here in Portugal, minimum wage is about EUR450.
"Saving" up for the X1000 is more than 6 months FULL wage.

Not everyone that really wants to buy one can do so. ;)

ChrisH 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 18:52:08
#195 ]
Elite Member

@BrandonLee Quote:
The proposition from Amiga is: buy this expensive hardware on the "possibility" that software will come later on.

The Amiga already has tons of software... just not everything. People need to ask if there is the software to do what they *need right now*. If not then IMHO they should wait until the software does exist. Spending £2000 on the basis of something that *might* come eventually is surely a receipy for some very bitter people. (While I am sure that Timberwolf/Firefox is coming, simply because we have screenshots, other stuff may not be so certain.)

That said, people need to keep their "must have" software list to a minimum. All Amiga users learn to work-around some missing piece of software (as Mac users used to, and in some cases still do). Sometimes we have to use less elegant alternatives, and other times we might need to turn on a Windows PC to get it done. But the need to turn on a PC has decreased over time, especially since OWB & AmiCygnix.

Last edited by ChrisH on 03-Feb-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 03-Feb-2012 at 06:53 PM.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 19:07:57
#196 ]

@ChrisH

Yes, OWB was a real lifesaver. Yet, it still leaves us out in the cold sometimes.
We are behind in almost every respect, software-wise and it's basically impossible to gain ground with so few developers left.

Examples:
- Home banking is hit-an-miss.
- The gimmicks to get YouTube or some printer working.
- The fact that I have a multi-function printer, but on OS4 I can only use about 50% of it, if that.

Some will say: "but you can do it!" and then spew out dozens of procedures to get something simple working.
In the good old days, getting something (or at least trying) was half of the fun. But as you grow old, this appeal starts to dillute. I now prefer things to work, period.

I can live with a slower machine or without the latest killer app, but there are limits.
Windows being so bad in the user-friendly and intuitive areas made it acceptable to learn to live without it, but the emergence of the Mac (especially given its similarities with Amiga) has made me start to really think about what I want/need.
The X1000 price didn't help, either.

I think that decades of uncertainties in the Amiga "world" have taken more life out of it than we like to admit.

djrikki 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 19:16:37
#197 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Yeah as a Mac user since 2004 I often had to go without a lot of software, but still I resisted using a Windows machine - I'd find some solution. The App-Store has changed all that... especially for games... you can actually buy games now that aren't some poor open-source alternative mumbo-jumbo. However, a lot of stuff coming out of the App-Store is also a pile of poo!

Daedalus 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 19:20:13
#198 ]

@djrikki

Quote:

djrikki wrote:
However, a lot of stuff coming out of the App-Store is also a pile of poo!

Yes - but very well polished poo

ChrisH 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 19:30:37
#199 ]
Elite Member

@djrikki
If you want games on a Mac, then IMHO it was *Steam* which changed the game for the Mac (not Apple's AppStore). Steam got there well before Apple, and they have a pretty good selection of modern Mac games. I have a suspicion that many of these games would not have been ported to the Mac without Valve (the makers of Steam) adding Mac support to their game engine (aka Source) as well as Steam itself.

Rose 
Posted on 3-Feb-2012 21:29:12
#200 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
P.S. I will be in favour of moderating ANYONE who categorically says that something controversial (on this site) is "impossible" or "fantasy", as this can be inflamatory.

You actually understand how much that undermines credibility of platform of your choice? And same thing for this site. Moderating for wrong opinions is allways great idea and will bring loads of new users.

BTW Banning active developer was great idea too.

Last edited by Rose on 03-Feb-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Last edited by Rose on 03-Feb-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle