Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  28 mins ago
 Frank:  35 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  55 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:56:39
#21 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Franko
you should be able to open multiple file archive opening the first rar in the row, i suppose, at least under winrar..

Just looking through them now... as far as I can see they contain various dirs/ & files, so I'm assuming here all I do is unarchive everything, burn them to a CD and set up a partition on an Amiga to use them !!!

Sorry for making this sound more complicated than it probably is, just want to make sure I've got everything right and get this up and running on an Amiga as soon as possible...

Update: everythings downloaded now so hopefully now I can go ahead and create a CD, dont want to burn them to an SD card as the SUBWAY USB on the A1200 is dead slow and it will be much quicker just creating a CD...

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:58:14
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

System 6 is still uploading so download it in about 3 minutes
Addition: System6 uploaded. And you need all parts for a working installation

Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Mar-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 15:00:57
#23 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Franko

copy the contents in one dir (or CD). It is my "System" partition (up to WBStartup). Nothing special

no all, starting from System1 up to system6

I am uploading System6 now, so start with System1

i splitted it because it was too big to transfer it in one file

Ahh... right got it now...

Ok, just gonna burn everything to a CD and set up a new partition on one of my Amiga's now (I'll use one of my 060 set ups first to test it)...

Hopefully in the next few hours I'll have a video of it all on YouTube for you to see if everything goes well...

Gonna stop chatting now and get on with it, dying to see if it works myself...

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 15:02:03
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

good luck and ask Jason if you need help

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 15:02:11
#25 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Franko

System 6 is still uploading so download it in about 3 minutes
Addition: System6 uploaded. And you need all parts for a working installation

Strange... I've already downloaded it here...

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 15:02:40
#26 ]
Elite Member

@franko:
to change you video output to default (aga) you should delete screenmode.prefs file, i think it is in prefs/env-archive/sys or somewhere there.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Mar-2012 at 03:10 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 15:05:54
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

now it should be ok

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:12:11
#28 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Franko

now it should be ok

Oh dear....

Believe it or not since my last post I have spent all this time just unarchiving the RAR files to a folder on my Mac...

System6 was corrupt (I must have downloaded it too quickly) and had to do it again...

Strange thing is it has taken all this time just to unRAR the archive and the end result is a folder which is 1.22GB's in size containing 72,141 files !!!

Is this correct (thought you said it was only 500MB !!!)

I'll need to burn it to a DVD instead as it obviously wont fit on a CD or has something gone wrong here !!!

It would have been quicker to burn the RAR archive to a CD or DVD and extract them directly to HD on my Amiga...

Well as they are finally unarchived I'll try burning them to a DVD and putting them on an Amiga but I'm left wondering if something isn't quite right here with the total size being 1.22GB's !!!

Always said if you want something done right on a computer use an Amiga... ruddy dumb Macs...

Last edited by Franko on 05-Mar-2012 at 04:12 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:15:40
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

yes it is correct

I said the DOWNLOAD is about 500 MB

Only Amiga makes it possible

Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Mar-2012 at 04:16 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:26:41
#30 ]
Elite Member

@franko: ermm, then how about to download the nightly first, as described in my poast, as it will only have about 20mb and decompress it to cd for starters? you may create a separate directory the cd and copy the 68k software or libs you want test under aros68k there. in that case remember to copy your 68k libs directory to aros:libs, skipping the native aros.libs (instead overwriting them), as well as copying your mui/libs to aros:classes/zune, skipping the present aros native mcc's of course.
68k mui classes should work under zune with certain exceptions due to current zune bugs. known culprits are for instance tearoff classes.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Mar-2012 at 04:27 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:32:10
#31 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

aros ist still pretty slow on real 030 without fast turboboard memory. its not much of joy on my plain a4k/30. though this is mostly due to wanderer, executing from shell is faster, even if programs load longer the execution speedis actually comparable with original aos on same system. the problem is still gui slowness and therefore laggy user interaction.

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:33:12
#32 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25 & Wawa

Ok... understood, just burning it to a DVD now hopefully (fingers crossed/ everything crossed) I'll have it up and running on one of my miggies very soon...

Gimme a couple of hours and I'll hopefully report back with the results and a video on YouTube...

PS: noticed some .elf stuff in their does this mean I can test it using my Blizzard PPC board as well...

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:36:35
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

You enter new land now (at least regarding my distribution). I do not know where it runs or not. Press my thumbs

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:43:30
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Franko
Quote:

PS: noticed some .elf stuff in their does this mean I can test it using my Blizzard PPC board as well...

no, its not ppc code. its native aros format
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_and_Linking_Format

used instead of amiga hunk format. maybe someone else explains better. dont bother with it as yet.

remembered another thing.
if you download a nightly you will most likely need to replace aros. elf in boot directory with aros-amiga-m68k-ram.elf, found in archive beneath, renaming it to aros.elf

http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aros/nightly/20120305/Binaries/AROS-20120305-amiga-m68k-boot.lha

the fle in question should be currently about 1.4 mb, the faulty original file is about 0.9mb and will not boot.

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:46:19
#35 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Franko

You enter new land now (at least regarding my distribution). I do not know where it runs or not. Press my thumbs

Well that's the DVD finished burning so here goes nothing...

Have to say it's making today a bit more interesting for me on my miggies, instead of the usual coding and hacking stuff I do...

I'll either be back in while with a neat wee video or having a rant at how It didn't work...

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 16:49:13
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Hopefully not too much ranting

I have sent you the email of Jason so he can hopefully help you. It should work.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 20:33:50
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

havent you got aros running on your amiga yet?!!! cmon, how long is it gonna take?

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 20:37:44
#38 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Ok... I want you to take this as constructive criticism (regarding the download)...

From what I am experiencing so far I assume you don't actually use real Amiga hardware !!!

It's now some 4 hours later since I burned the DVD and am trying to install it onto an Amiga. Major problem is the amount of "unnecessary" files involved...

For the past two hours 20 minutes I have been copying across from the DVD to the HD the "Fonts" dir and it's only reached those beginning with the letter L !!!

Now the way DVD's/CD's store data and the rate at which the heads seek (even at PIO 5) means that this is taking forever because you have included over 2000 fonts in that drawer and all their associated files...

All the other "unnecessary" stuff like all those Amos, Blitz files etc... have taken up the other two hours so far just to copy them from the DVD to HD...

For someone to test this using real Amiga hardware the "release" really needs drastically trimmed back to just what is needed for AROS itself and not include all this unnecessary stuff as it's a nightmare to install on real Amiga hardware...

Thousand of files in the one drawer (like Fonts) and the nature of DVD's/ CD filesystems make this a big "no no" to transfer using real hardware...

Think most folk would have given up a couple of hours ago faced with this but I'll persevere and get it done...

But the release drastically needs cut back to just what's actually necessary for AROS itself if you want others to test it. I can do this myself if you want when it's finally finished...

Like I say please take this as constructive criticism and nothing else, it looks like it going to be quite a few more hours to complete the transfer, reckon now I should have just put the RAR files onto a DVD and decompressed them directly onto the Amigas HD...

First time in years I've actually felt like sticking a size 10 boot in me Amiga...

terminills 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 20:40:25
#39 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Franko

Shouldn't the DVD be bootable via say a nightly boot floppy?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 21:16:22
#40 ]
Elite Member

AAAAaaaargggghhhh....

Decide to cut my losses and abandon copying the fonts drawer and just install the Amiga's own system fonts (it was wearing my ruddy DVD drives head out with all that seeking back & forth)...

So I copied across everything else to the partition had a quick look at the "StartUp-Sequence" the very first line in there looks wrong but I'm not sure...

First line of StartUp-Sequence...

"BOOT/AROSBootstrap ROM BOOT/Aros.elf"

Now even I know a .elf file is PPC so I take it I need to change this to something else...

Plus should both these items be on the same line as above !!!

But then I noticed there is no drawer called "BOOT" there isn't even a "C: " drawer !!!

Reckon the archive must be corrupted during download or this ruddy Mac hasn't copied them to the DVD for some reason...

I'll need to check the archives now but I still don't think the first line of Startup-Sequence looks right and do I have to edit it to something else...

Heeeeelp...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle