Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  6 mins ago
 Hypex:  16 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  33 mins ago
 saimo:  43 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
terminills 
Re: Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 21:23:43
#41 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Franko

elf is just the binary format the AROS team chose. It doesn't mean it's powerpc.

the BOOT folder should be hidden.

edit: looking at the picture the boot folder seems to not be there.

Last edited by terminills on 05-Mar-2012 at 09:25 PM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 21:30:44
#42 ]
Elite Member

@franko:
as terminills said .elf is not a necessarily ppc format, its 68k in this case.

i would reccomend you again to download a nightly form the link ive provided above and try it. its only 20 megs. and you can copy whatever software you want to test over it.

remember to replace boot/aros.elf with its floppy version as i wrote erlier.
if you follow my instructions you should have working aros 68k setup withink half an hour. you can always copy (parts of) olafs distribution over it later.

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 21:34:31
#43 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Just checked the DVD and the archives for some bizarre reason this ruddy mac didn't burn either the boot drawer or the c drawer to the DVD...

Just burning the entire thing again, hopefully this time with the BOOT & C drawers on it...

Found the .elf file in the boot drawer and see it just the name they have given to it and it's not PPC...

And people wonder why I stick with Amiga's, that's cos I don't have bother like this doing something so simple on the Amiga...

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 21:41:12
#44 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Ok... just burnt the DVD again and the C & Boot drawers are there this time (at least I only have them to copy to HD now)...

Not sure what you mean about "replacing the Boot/aros.elf with it's floppy version" !!!

is there another aros.elf file I need to find in this archive and replace the one in the Boot drawer with !!!

Channel_Z 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 21:43:09
#45 ]

@Franko

Quote:
"BOOT/AROSBootstrap ROM BOOT/Aros.elf" Now even I know a .elf file is PPC so I take it I need to change this to something else...

ELF is a way of structuring executables and is not PPC only:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_and_Linkable_Format

As said previously, if you just want to try it quickly and see if it boots grabbing one of the nighty builds from aros.org would be faster.

The quickest method of transfering data to Amiga filesystems from other computers is ripping out the disk, putting an USB adapter on and mounting the disk in UAE. That will take care of transferring all those files in about 15 minutes on a decent CPU.

Edit: Oops, somehow I thought this thread ended at page 2, sorry if I just repeated what others already said.

Last edited by Channel_Z on 05-Mar-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Last edited by Channel_Z on 05-Mar-2012 at 09:44 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 21:44:08
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:

Not sure what you mean about "replacing the Boot/aros.elf with it's floppy version" !!!

is there another aros.elf file I need to find in this archive and replace the one in the Boot drawer with !!!

look up my post #34 in this thread. but its only valid for nightly builds. i dont know how olafs distro behaves.

serk118 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 21:53:41
#47 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

A video would be nice....

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:01:18
#48 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

I know but getting the thing to work first would be nicer...

Ok... here's what just a happened...

Installed everything and rebooted...

got a black screen with a couple of quick green flashes...

then it went to a dark grey screen and nothing...

Now when I try to reboot all I'm getting is a dark grey screen...

even holding down the reset button for ten seconds isn't clearing things like it normally would on my Blizard board...

Reckon the fact that the 3.1 rom has been mapped in by the blizzkick could be the problem...

I'll try powering off and back on again and this time making sure that blizkick doesn't remap the rom into fast memory...

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:02:41
#49 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

@serk118

actually i wanted to do a small video for long, only im behind a mobile connection which doesnt actually encourage me..

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:03:53
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:

Reckon the fact that the 3.1 rom has been mapped in by the blizzkick could be the problem...

definitely. same here when trying to boot aros with deneb flash on, a custom kick in it.

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:18:54
#51 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Current state of affairs...

Right... I have installed everything on partition DH1:

Rebooted this time making sure BlizKick hadn't remaped the rom...

Got quick screen/cli saying something like "AROS booting up" (was too quick to read)...

The Amiga then seems to reset but it's obviously now trying to boot from DH0: and not DH1: where I have installed it...

Tried resetting and holding down both mouse buttons, got a new slightly different early startup screen (the pointer is huge and hideous by the way)...

Tried to use the new early startup screen to select DH1: to boot from but it doesn't seem to allow you to (clicking on dh1: or anything in the options doesn't highlight them at all)

Tried clicking on the small "+" sign that are beside the the mounted devices on the this new early startup screen but nothing seems to work...

Now from this I am assuming that this part of the early startup is not functional yet and it expects to boot from DH0: by default...

If so, then this is a problem, as I don't want to use my DH0: partition as this is my main partition for everyday Amiga use and contains too much stuff for it to be worth my while backing everything up just so I can test this...

Any suggestions here...

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:26:10
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

sorry to hear that it did not work. Do you have asked Jason?

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:35:25
#53 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Franko

sorry to hear that it did not work. Do you have asked Jason?

Not yet... still trying to diagnose the problem myself here...

It's seems to have installed AROS ok but the problem is it's definitely trying to boot from DH0: and not DH1: where I have installed it...

I know this because its throwing up errors and one of the first ones it throws up is C:Vinfo failed...

VInfo is a small programme I wrote myself and is the first line of my "Normal" stratup-sequence on DH0:...

The early startup screen which can be accessed on boot up by holding down both mouse buttons is there but like I say it doesn't appear to be fully functional and will not allow me to select any partitions on it even though it's showing all my partitions and DVD drives that are currently connected...

I'll have tinker about first and see if I can figure this out and I may as well make a short video of it to show you what is happening...

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:41:36
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

I have sent your email to jason and asked him if he can help (he wants to do that too). I have looked in startup-sequence and user-startup and there are nothing needing dh0 so the problem must be elsewhere.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:53:26
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

congrats. you have booted aros on your machine for the very first time. you have got into aros early startup which isnt just fully functional as yet (still it seems), though this is already aros;)

however its a little strange why you dont get any further.
if you have set your boot priorities properly (as it seems, because why else would you get aros kicked up) then its likely the aros.elf problem i have spoken about.
also the aros bootstrap should take a little longer, only flashing indcates something interrupts it. perhaps the said problem shows not on winuae but matters on real hw. please check the size of your aros.elf and if its below one mb proceed as described in post #34.

and lets try to solve it ourselves. its better to let jason code rather than support.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Mar-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 05-Mar-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:54:25
#56 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I had a good look around at everything (it's not the startup sequence that's the problem here) it's the fact that when AROS reboots itself it's automatically trying to boot from DH0:

Like I say I have installed it on partition DH1: and the way it's checking things it's finding DH0: first and trying to boot from that...

It should work fine if I was able to select DH1: from the early startup screen, although I can access the early startup screen and get a list of all connected devices and partitions, unfortunately this version of the early startup screen will not allow me to select which partition to boot from, so I am assuming that part of AROS is not yet complete !!!

I've just noticed the time and realised I've been at this all day, gonna have to stop now and make myself some dinner and try again later...

If you or Jason have any ideas or suggestion then please post them here or email me and I'll have another go later, right now I need to get something to eat before I carry on...

Cheers...

Franko

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:56:24
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

I googled a little and found that:
"uses conventional names for AROS: and Work: partitions, which are generally mapped to DH0: and DH1:"

and this:
"For instance, on a hard drive DH0: is generally bound to AROS:, while DH1: to Work:"

it seems that AROS is mapped to DH0

Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Mar-2012 at 10:59 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 22:59:06
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

you have to set the priority of aros partition as highest, and have the filesystem it uses in rdb for it to be accessible. also did you marked this partition as bootable? im asking just in case although all that seems unlikely as you have got aros kicking. you also have to hard reset i guess.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 23:00:48
#59 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

it seems that AROS is mapped to DH0

its not. my aros parition is DH1 and called "Leer" or something like that.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 23:08:46
#60 ]
Elite Member

though it may be you shouldnt have both aos and aros partitions called alike, i dont know.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle