Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

agami

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  3 mins ago
 Hammer:  9 mins ago
 Hypex:  20 mins ago
 Karlos:  22 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  28 mins ago
 Rob:  46 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 Seiya:  6 hrs 8 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Gay Civil Marriage In UK at a cost of 3.7 million Updated - you can sign petition after reading, if you want!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 Next Page )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: Gay Civil Marriage In UK at a cost of 3.7 million Updated - you can sign petition after reading, if you want!
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 15:45:52
#1001 ]
Elite Member

@ All

Wow... one of the most viewed threads of all time here on Amigaworld.net with over 21 thousand views and one thousand posts with only about a dozen individuals posting in it...

I suppose you could draw a lot of conclusions from that and spend hours analysing and coming up with all sort of statistics as to what it all may mean...

Personally the only conclusion I am going to draw from all of this is...

Even though we're all here with one common shared interest (the Amiga). it just goes to show that despite all our differences of opinions, arguments, debates and so on about the Amiga, this thread shows that really we all know it's nothing more than a computer/ hobby and there are far more important things in life we could all be discussing...

Hmmm... may we should put stuff about religion and gays into our Amiga posts and drum up a bit of interest in them again...

Oh well, don't suppose it'll be too long now until post number two thousand in this thread, wonder if BigD will have received help by then...

Profile     Report this post  
SpaceDruid 
Re: Gay Civil Marriage In UK at a cost of 3.7 million Updated - you can sign petition after reading, if you want!
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 16:26:10
#1002 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@AndyC

Well done on bagging the 1000th post.

Quick summery if you've just joined us

"ashes to ashes funk to boogie
we know that Big D's a loony
strung out on heaven's high
hitting an all time low"

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 05-Sep-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Google Translate

BrianK 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 16:26:23
#1003 ]
Elite Member

To Recap

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 16:34:12
#1004 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

My favourite of the thread so far is the bit where the guy posts stuff about persecution being bad m'kay and then goes on to persecute people.

Any other favourite bits?

Google Translate

Franko 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 16:40:17
#1005 ]
Elite Member

@SpaceDruid

Quote:

SpaceDruid wrote:

"ashes to ashes funk to boogie
we know that Big D's a loony
strung out on heaven's high
hitting an all time low"

Nah... that honour went to AndyC (My post is number 1001)...

You do realise now that listening to Bowie is never going to be quite the same again...

Thank gawd you didn't come up with new "BigD" lyrics to some of bowies others classics like...

Changes... (BigD don't like Changes)

Starman... (The BigD version would have him with a big white beard)

Life On Mars... (BigD being a Geologist would have a lot say on that one, all wrong of course)

Modern Love... (BigD's strictly against that sort of thing)

Boys Keep Swinging (Erm... this is a family site so I'll leave that to your imagination)

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 18:59:48
#1006 ]

@Franko

Quote:

Nah... that honour went to AndyC (My post is number 1001)...

Now corrected.

I did mention my maths was bad earlier in the thread! It's a mystical magical art that should be undermined because I don't understand it. Everything I don't understand is scary and thus must be wrong and sinful!

Quote:

You do realise now that listening to Bowie is never going to be quite the same again...

The Man Who Fell to Earth is now my favourite film, though technically I'm a SpaceDruid and not a man,

Quote:

Thank gawd you didn't come up with new "BigD" lyrics to some of bowies others classics like...
Changes... (BigD don't like Changes)

The opposite is true! He's changed his opinions to match the latest google search he's found that seems to support his side.

You could also have had,

"Absolute Beginners", to reflect the brief time he tried to learn enough about geology to answer my questions

"Wild Is The Wind", to reflect how fearful he must be at everything he doesn't understand (in case it might be Satan)

"Golden Years", the time before the net when he could spew his bile without people being able to fact check his claims

"Sorrow", to reflect how he felt when they could.

Google Translate

Nimrod 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 19:11:15
#1007 ]

@BigD

Quote:
This really is becoming painful to have to point this basic fact out to you that she didn't shirk her workload;
Yes she did. She refused to do certain parts of the job, and her co-workers had to cover for her. She showed her gratitude by continuing to discriminate against people who were like her fellow workers. When one person can pick and choose what they do and others have to cover for their refusal to do the full job, that is discriminatory. The fact that the workload was covered by people who you treat as subhuman makes her and your bigotry even more distasteful.

Quote:
She had Christian sensibilities that weren't taken into account.
Her "sensibilities" were taken into account, as were counter arguments supplied by her fellow workers and her employers. Having given due consideration to her evidence the judges found in favour of her employers.

Quote:
And you think we are not on our way to totalitarian state
We are not heading towards a totalitarian state primarily because we are not surrendering our freedom to think for ourselves to some theocratic bully boy, which is what happened when the puritans ran the country.

Quote:
99.9999% of Christians believe marriage is between a man and a women and that homosexuality is a sin because that is what the Bible teaches
This is wrong in so many ways.
Firstly the majority of christians are content to follow their religion without demanding that the entire human population become subservient to them. This is why the number of signatures on your petition is less than one sixth of the number of regular churchgoers.
Secondly there are a number of christian churches are actively supporting this change in the law, just as W. Wilberforce went against the majority of his fellow christians when he campaigne to abolish that other fine church tradition, slavery.
Thirdly, I will post a list of church groups and their position on this question. As you can see the split is not 99.9999999%against as you claim.

Quote:
The rest haven't studied the Bible enough or simply don't care what it says and so shouldn't be called Christians
Exacty when was it that your chosen deity retired, and handed supreme authority to decide who is, and who isn't a christian to you. This isn't a remake of Bruce Almighty. Take a look at the number of nines in the statement above this one. There are nine of them, as a hint to you about the ninth commandment.

Also since nine is three to the power of three you may want to take a quick look at the third commandment. You are supposed to obey your deity, not use him as a convenient excuse for your demands for preferential treatment.

Quote:
The Bible is most clear on the prominence of marriage as a core belief.
It is so in favour of marriage that it supports polygamy, though not polyandry. This demonstrates that the bible is basically against equality, and is fundamentally misogynistic in all of its principles. It was not until a roman citizen, Saul of Tarsus, stopped persecuting christians and started ruling them that marriage became a monogamous requirement.

Last edited by Nimrod on 05-Sep-2012 at 08:08 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 19:17:12
#1008 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Over 1000 posts later and we still having legal nonsense like this thrown around;

Regarding Lillian Ladele hearing yesterday;

Quote:
James Eadie QC, acting on behalf of the Government, argued that the rights of the four Christians were only protected in private, and that they could not “insist on being able to manifest their beliefs in any way they choose”.

He argued that a Christian “under difficulty” is not discriminated against if they have the choice of “resigning and moving to a different job”.

How tolerant of the UK government to believe an equal Christian is an unemployed Christian!

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 19:52:26
#1009 ]

@BigD

Is it your new policy to no longer include sources for your quotes so that we can't check up on them and correct your interpretation like we have in the past, or was it just a simple error?

Edit no longer needed.

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 05-Sep-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Last edited by SpaceDruid on 05-Sep-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Last edited by SpaceDruid on 05-Sep-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Google Translate

BrianK 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 20:53:45
#1010 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
James Eadie QC, acting on behalf of the Government, argued that the rights of the four Christians were only protected in private, and that they could not “insist on being able to manifest their beliefs in any way they choose”.

It appears your quote was not about Lillian' refusal to do her job but of wearing religious garb in the work place. Personally, I find no problem with religious jewlrey or attire, assuming it fits in the dress code. For example, if your God says that only sandles are allowed and you're job requires steel toed boots for safety reasons you must wear steel toed boots.

I think it's far reaching to fire someone because of jewlry or dress. It makes good sense to fire someone who is unwilling to comply with the duties of their job. In Lillian's case the result was she was forcing her beliefs onto others and against the nature of her job duties.

Nimrod 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 21:58:05
#1011 ]

@BigD

Quote:
How tolerant of the UK government to believe an equal Christian is an unemployed Christian!
Any person regardless of race, colour, creed,gender, sexual orientation, or criminal history who attempts to dictate to their employer what they are willing to do will find themselves liable to become unemployed. If a self proclaimed christian were made exept from this, then that would be unequal treatment. But of course that is what you really want. Preferential treatment for anybody who says the magic phrase "I am a christian and you can't do that to me.
With regard to the nurse wearing a cross on a chain while working, how many of the people who died of hospital acquired infections, were infected by something carried across the ward in the links of a piece of jewellery. This would explain why she was restricted to desk duties while wearing a cross contamination source.

@SpaceDruid

I think that this may be BigD's source.
And thanks for the tip about the "e".

@BrianK

Quote:
I think it's far reaching to fire someone because of jewlry or dress.
That depends on the circumstance. In my previous job, I very often went into premises where the rule was "No jewellery, including rings, earrings, or wristwatches" In some locations I even had to wear a noddy suit and facemask. Instead of bleating about my christian right to carry contamination around, I simply got on with the job at hand.

BrianK 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 22:10:06
#1012 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
Quote:
I think it's far reaching to fire someone because of jewlry or dress.
That depends on the circumstance.

Did you see my exception and example that was circumstanial based on job safety concerns?

Quote:
Instead of bleating about my christian right to carry contamination around, I simply got on with the job at hand.
Germ Theory is only a scientific theory. It's not like it's real.

BrianK 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 22:31:16
#1013 ]
Elite Member

Just moments ago, the Democratic Party voted to support the freedom to marry as an official plank in the party’s platform, its vision for America. The Democrats are now on record as the first major political party in U.S. history in favor of true and full equality for same-sex couples.

Nimrod 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 23:33:25
#1014 ]

@BrianK

Quote:
Did you see my exception and example that was circumstanial based on job safety concerns?
Yes, but I thought that you were a bit too subtle for BigD to be able to follow your point. Some people need a half housebrick in a sock round the ear to wake them up.

Quote:
The Democrats are now on record as the first major political party in U.S. history in favor of true and full equality for same-sex couples.
Congrats... and good luck.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 23:35:42
#1015 ]

Here is a little bit more info on the four cases

Google Translate

BrianK 
Posted on 6-Sep-2012 19:02:37
#1016 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
Quote:
The Democrats are now on record as the first major political party in U.S. history in favor of true and full equality for same-sex couples.
Congrats... and good luck.

The other thing that's causing concern is the Democratic National Comittee removed 'God' from their platform.

To go on a bit here - the USA doesn't have a choosen religion. Nor was it designed to. The USA was founded out of the period of Enlightenment where people began to see themselves empowered to decide for themselves. As such our Constitution's first Amendment was ratified to support a wall of seperation between Church and State. As such when a law is made we don't impose it because a particular faith believes Jesus told us so. Our nation is one that's supporting all religions to live peacefully along side one another. As such it's improper for a political party to choose to impose their verion of the divine onto the nation.

It really is the proper approach to not kowtow to a particular diety but sponsor those laws, rules, and values which are equally valid to all religions. And yes sometimes a religion may lose out. Society might not follow their particular morals. However, we should build our society such that they can continue to follow those morals should they choose.

Of course there is an element of harm in there that should be a concern there. We really don't want to see people killing their first born because God said so. Nor do we want to see blacks being rejected from marriage because they were the 'descendents of Cain and discarded by God'. The Freedom of Religion is never the Freedom to impose your religion on your neighbor.

BrianK 
Posted on 6-Sep-2012 19:13:32
#1017 ]
Elite Member

Wacko Christian Doctor prescribes castration drugs to gay teen. LINK At the end of the article the Dr. admits in retrospect it was a mistake.

This is what happens in a society if we allow the Lillian's of the world to impose their view of religion on their clients during work.

BrianK 
Posted on 6-Sep-2012 21:52:17
#1018 ]
Elite Member

A test to determine if your religion is at risk

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 8-Sep-2012 0:26:58
#1019 ]

Entirely unrelated to anything in this thread, especially not related to the age of the Earth or anything.

The Telegraph -B̶i̶g̶D̶'̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶i̶n̶i̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶e̶o̶l̶o̶g̶i̶s̶t̶.̶
Oldest living thing on earth' discovered

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 08-Sep-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Google Translate

Franko 
Posted on 11-Sep-2012 4:28:45
#1020 ]
Elite Member

Oooh this thread almost disappeared right off the "Latest Posts" list...

Has BigD passed away, been abducted by aliens, taken up in one of those mass disappearance thingys (forget what their called), been carted off by the men in white coats and wee yellow van or has he just came to his senses...

BigD... you ok... give us a sign... or a postcard even...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle