Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 135 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  14 secs ago
 Rob:  29 mins ago
 billt:  38 mins ago
 amigang:  48 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  51 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Trevor's Amiga Blog
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 Next Page )
PosterThread
Krischan76 
Re: Trevor's Amiga Blog
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 18:55:25
#261 ]

This has been addressed!

ADDRESSED I SAY!

Profile     Report this post  
terminills 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 19:07:20
#262 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Krischan76

Quote:
This has been addressed!

ADDRESSED I SAY!

This has been addressed.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 19:27:32
#263 ]

@terminills

This has been addressed, no doubt about that!

Darrin 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 20:25:37
#264 ]
Team Member

@Franko

Quote:
PPS: For anyone wondering... Mods were never Rude Boys and Mods were hated by the Rude Boys just as much as the Punks hated them... couldn't have been easy being a Mod...

The geeky parkers with the bullseye on the back didn't help.

Darrin 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 20:27:55
#265 ]
Team Member

@Krischan76

Quote:
This has been addressed!

ADDRESSED I SAY!

So has this:
http://www.writeonresults.com/Images/Samples/KraftEnvelope.gif

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 21:09:30
#266 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@amigadave

Not going to happen for multiple legal reasons.

And have you done some basic math about the cost of such purchase?

Development cost of roughly 100K euro per year since 2001 i.e. 12 years and running, expensive lawsuits (500K litigation cost).

Sorry but the shareholders are going to sit this one out and you can be glad that they do because they are the ones funding AmigaOS 4.x development for over a decade without any financial return.

If you are holding on to the rights to control the continuing development of AmigaOS4.x because you believe you will ever recover even a fraction of your investment, I am afraid you will be very disappointed. I think it is clear to everyone that your continued support and investment into AmigaOS4.x is done out of your love and affection for the platform, not out of some hope that you will ever recover your investment and make a profit, and for that I want to express my appreciation.

I don't agree with all of your decisions and directions, but I have to respect your commitment and dedication to YOUR ideas of what AmigaOS4.x should be. You have not let development die, which might have happened if Amiga Inc. had remained in control.

My hopes and wishes for a reunified community will never happen in my lifetime, if ever, but that does not stop me from expressing those wishes and dreams from time to time. I hope you don't take my comments too personally, but I know that they are not something you would enjoy reading, so I will not repeat them again for another year to two.

It is just a shame that the Amiga community, which at one time was the most unified and passionate computer community on the planet, has been divided into three bickering old hags, which has weakened our spirit and productivity greatly. I don't blame you personally for the state of our current community, as there are too many people who deserve a share of that responsibility to count. What is done is done, and what we have left is all we can deal with, so I will make the best of what is left of the Amiga community and computing experience(s).

In my own defense, I believe Trevor to be a neutral party, who has avoided all of the previous conflicts between the different Amiga "Camps", and as such, he might be able to make more headway toward cooperation and collaboration, or reunification of our community in the future, which the only reason I made my unreasonable statement(s). I did not, and do not expect Hyperion to ever consider such a sale of their rights, no matter how much I would wish for such a thing to happen, for the good of the platform & community.

klx300r 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 21:28:07
#267 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Trevor is our patron saint to unite the A.A.M camps

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 21:32:12
#268 ]
Cult Member

Did someone allready mention that this edition of Trevor's blog has been once again a nice read?

vox 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 21:33:32
#269 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Back to Blog, it mentions using Catweasel Mk2 which is a clockport Amiga Classic card.
Shouldn`t it be Catweasel mk4 Plus (PCI card)?

Or Nemo has got A1200 style clockport meanwhile :)

Quote:
Ian Gledhill to build on the excellent work of earlier developers to create an updated set of Catweasel Mk2 drivers for the AmigaONE X1000. Of course other Next Generation Amiga owners should also benefit from his work. While I was in AmigaKit's offices I got the chance to try out Ian's latest Catweasel Mk2 drivers on one of AmigaONE X1000 that was being tested before shipment to a customer. Catweasel Mk2 : A1-X1000 I'm very pleased to report that, not only is the Catweasel very easy to set-up and use, the latest version of Ian's driver mounts DF0: (or PC0:) and, just like on a standard Amiga, it auto-senses whether the disk is DD or HD. Magic! You can insert any Classic Amiga floppy disk and it is instantly accessible. You can even create ADF image files if you wish. Formatting FDD on A1-X1000 The Catweasel Mk2 kits, complete with special cable and latest drivers should be available from AmigaKit in the near future. Needless to say I purchased a Catweasel kit from AmigaKit which is now safely installed in my own A1-X1000.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 21:50:39
#270 ]

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@klx300r

Back to Blog, it mentions using Catweasel Mk2 which is a clockport Amiga Classic card.
Shouldn`t it be Catweasel mk4 Plus (PCI card)?

Or Nemo has got A1200 style clockport meanwhile :)

I have one of the original Catweasel Mk2 boards somewhere in my collection and will try to locate it again, with it's instruction manual, but IIRC, it could be connected to a computer in 2 or 3 different ways, with the clock port being only one of the ways to connect it. That would make it possible to connect it to an X1000 through perhaps the IDE, or Floppy controller port (does my X1000 have a floppy drive controller? I will have to look again.)

Edit: Yep! Just checked the Individual Computers website and confirmed that the Catweasel Mk2 can connect to either the Clock Port, or the IDE header, and was advertised to work in both the A1200 and A4000.

Last edited by amigadave on 04-Apr-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 21:52:56
#271 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:

amigadave wrote:

It is just a shame that the Amiga community, which at one time was the most unified and passionate computer community on the planet, has been divided into three bickering old hags,

Three bickering old hags... eh.... you surely mean "TWO Bickering Old Hags" !!!

Allow me to explain...

If the other two "old hags" (which one can only assume are OS4 users and MorphOS users) hadn't split off from the Amigas original 68K based OS then there would never have been "three bickering old hags" bickering over anything...

There would just have been the original 68K OS "old Hags" (Like me) happily using real/ original Amiga hardware and it's 68K OS (which I still do) and the only "bickering" would be which is better ECS or AGA...

Blame the splitters for dividing up the "Community" (ie: the other two old hags OS4 & MorphOS users) us original 68K "old hags" whom never split for 68K seem to be the only ones still happy with out lot...

You can't blame things on others when they weren't the ones who strayed from the path and decided to set up their own wee "Camps" to house their offshoot cults then complain cos your cult didn't workout as hoped or expected...

Seriously though... be happy with your lot, use what makes you happy and stop fretting over what others say or think about your choice...

Cos quite simply it really doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks about what you choose to do when it comes to being an Amigan... (at least it shouldn't unless you choose to allow it, in which case, well... you can't blame anyone but yourself for anything...

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 22:16:53
#272 ]

@Franko

The original 68k Amiga users are not a part of the 3 old hags I was referring to (MorphOS, AmigaOS4.x & AROS).

And it is not that I am exactly unhappy, but I could be happier if those three groups were to merge back together again, but I know it will most likely never happen. Still it does not hurt (much) to express my dreams, or wishes once in a while. Maybe a few other Amiga users share my wishes and dreams.

I just want faster progress and that is hard to accomplish when the limited resources are split into three groups that don't cooperate much (or at all) with each other.

Last edited by amigadave on 04-Apr-2013 at 10:18 PM.

vox 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 22:17:55
#273 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
Seriously though... be happy with your lot, use what makes you happy and stop fretting over what others say or think about your choice...

Nice stance, but why having Classic versus NG attitude?

Both MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 were made to take best of AmigaOS 3 and advance it, even on the path of AHI, MUI and RTG standards already used in last heavily updated OS 3, just adding new drivers, features and support, for at that time, advanced PowerPC arhitecure, which indeed is suceesor to abandoned 68k arhitecture. Done by Amigans, for Amigans, to continue the OS heritage.

Split just came from Amiga Inc decision not to use MorphOS but recompile 3.1 to PowerPC and add features around that - which is AmigaOS 4.

Its great that AmigaOS haven`t been abandonded in development by all tragedies of post Commodore owners, but pays price of small development teams, small market and thus slow development. But compared to any patched OS 3.x recent features of OS4 (and MorphOS) make those biggest jumps forward in features - MOS 2, MOS 3 and OS 4.1 and coming OS 4.2 seems to be great steps.

Quote:
@amigadave Quote:
I have one of the original Catweasel Mk2 boards somewhere in my collection and will try to locate it again, with it's instruction manual, but IIRC, it could be connected to a computer in 2 or 3 different ways, with the clock port being only one of the ways to connect it. That would make it possible to connect it to an X1000 through perhaps the IDE, or Floppy controller port (does my X1000 have a floppy drive controller? I will have to look again.) Edit: Yep! Just checked the Individual Computers website and confirmed that the Catweasel Mk2 can connect to either the Clock Port, or the IDE header, and was advertised to work in both the A1200 and A4000.

Sorry Dave, no clock port, IDE port. floppy controller or classic joystick port onboard on any PPC board including Nemo. In fact some of these features are given by Catweasel mk4.

I don`t think error was made in bad spirit, I assume Trevor also had an Mk2 in his collection and just haven`t paid enough attention in name change with PCI card.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 22:20:33
#274 ]

@vox

Pretty sure Nemo motherboard inside X1000 does have IDE port. Or am I thinking of the CF card port?

Now you are going to make me get up off my lazy *$$ and check my X1000's motherboard connectors.

Last edited by amigadave on 04-Apr-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Last edited by amigadave on 04-Apr-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Spirantho 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 22:23:57
#275 ]

@vox

It's the Catweasel Mk2 "Anniversary Edition", which AmigaKit has in stock now. It connects to the PATA IDE port and allows two disk drives to be attached, but doesn't have joystick ports or SID sockets I'm afraid. The real advantage is a) it doesn't rely on outdated PCI and b) it's still available, and at a good price.

And before any smart alec points out that PATA IDE is outdated too, I'm waiting for a SATA->PATA bridge to test it with. :) That means Sam 460ex and so on can use it without sacrificing an important expansion slot.

eliyahu 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 22:27:47
#276 ]

@Spirantho

Quote:
It's the Catweasel Mk2 "Anniversary Edition", which AmigaKit has in stock now. It connects to the PATA IDE port and allows two disk drives to be attached, but doesn't have joystick ports or SID sockets I'm afraid. The real advantage is a) it doesn't rely on outdated PCI and b) it's still available, and at a good price.

they do? do you have a linky you can share with us? this would be awesome news, but when i head over to their site, i can't seem to find it. i have a MK4 but only one, and could use another catweasel.

jens rocks!

-- eliyahu

sundown 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 22:29:16
#277 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Pretty sure Nemo motherboard inside X1000 does have IDE port.

It does, have a 400Gb IDE drive connected to it right now.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 22:43:18
#278 ]

@sundown

Thanks for confirming that I haven't completely lost my memory and mind.

@vox,

You really need to scrounge up the cash to purchase yourself an X1000, now that there are some more available with a new production run. It is really a nice computer and I think you would be happy with it.

vox 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 22:55:45
#279 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

My bad, I have forgoten the PATA one.

Glad we clarified what Catweasel story is about.

Also mk2 should be cheaper then mk4.

Quote:
You really need to scrounge up the cash to purchase yourself an X1000, now that there are some more available with a new production run. It is really a nice computer and I think you would be happy with it.

Gladly, if I had ~3000 euros to complete system, pay VAT, P&P and import taxes ...
We ll see what my bank says before the stock is ran out. Maybe additional job and some 5 years of slavery would do the trick

Even its considered to be extremely expensive by many, I find it better value / money in expandability and performance over SAM 460. As well as it is twice unique: by PA Semi and Xena/Xorro.

Who knows, maybe next design will offer even better performance / money ratio due to actually avail CPU.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Apr-2013 23:10:16
#280 ]

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@amigadave

Who knows, maybe next design will offer even better performance / money ratio due to actually avail CPU.

That is the plan, I am sure Trevor and partners are doing all they can to make the next A-Eon computer more powerful and at a lower cost than the X1000 if possible.

No small task for low production custom hardware.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle