Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  8 mins ago
 Karlos:  11 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  16 mins ago
 Rob:  35 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 Seiya:  5 hrs 57 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Video for Commodore Amiga Mini
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: Video for Commodore Amiga Mini
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 14:41:39
#21 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Detail posted on the Commodore Custom Configurator Program.

Apparently, an as yet never mentioned term has appeared:

Quote:
ability to install and support the Commodore Operating System, currently Commodore OS Vision and Commodore OS Fusion.

"Fusion"?

Also interesting, and somewhat expected:

Quote:
the CCC is free to install, sell or promote any OS of their choosing.

AROS?

Profile     Report this post  
Nameless 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 18:09:50
#22 ]

@number6

The fusion thing is interesting, but even more interesting (and odd) to me is the fact that the configurator can choose any internal hardware at all.

And seemingly any OS.

So there could be PPC CUSA Amigas, Intel CUSA Amigas, ARM, Pi, or just about anything at all in there? That could be interesting from a customer standpoint, but from a branding aspect, isn't that a bit odd?

Or am I misunderstanding what that agreement says?

The OS thing is also a bit strange, unless they figure it's a way around that Hyperion/Amiga Inc lawsuit thing.

opi 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 18:25:47
#23 ]
Team Member

@edponpon

Boy, your like/dislike ratio is just insane.

Way to shot messanger, you guy. Show how you really hate that CUSA guy!!11 Yeeahh!!!1

number6 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 18:25:49
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Nameless

This was the response after hearing from his lawyer.
The prior posting on the same topic makes that quite clear.

Quote:
Our Commodore Custom Configurator program has passed through our lawyers scrutiny, and will also be formally announced this week. Standby for details.

source

That's different than just making a post about plans, which we've seen before.
We'll see...

Rob 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 20:23:19
#25 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
Quote:
the CCC is free to install, sell or promote any OS of their choosing.

AROS?

On that basis you could sell Commodore or Amiga Hackintosh's.

"This program is not, and does not constitute a “Dealer Agreement”, nor in any way establishes any legal relationship between the CCC and the Company, other than that of an authorized wholesale buyer/system builder (CCC), and seller (CUSA)"

The conditions of the settlement agreement are a public document and it appears that CUSA are absolving themselves of any responsibility of what their CCC's do.

Basically on your own if you decide to be the cause a legal dispute between Hyperion and Amiga INC.

edponpon 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 21:46:27
#26 ]

@opi

I'm assuming you mean for the video on YouTube, yea. . . .It’s not even, but then again - I don't care. I didn't make the video to piss off my fellow Amigans, just thought I'd be helpful and show an alternative. I'm sure my next video, which I plan on making this weekend, will be an even bigger hit; Setting up the Amiga Mini and showing some "Things" paired with the Amiga Mini. I'm also curious, as someone mentioned in this post, if AROS will work on the machine. It should, and if it does, then by THIS site’s own standards, that would make this computer - indirectly, An Amiga computer, since you guys consider AROS an Amiga Alternative, or distant cousin. I have some requests of you guys -

- If you have a request of something specific you'd like to see me cover on this computer, tell me

- As I mentioned before, I'm not going to bash you guys, please don't bash me because I decided to be the "Guinea Pig" and buy one of the Alt/Fake/PC disguised as an Amiga computers. I see potential in it, if not for the Linux, the Amiga Emulation, then the ability of it being a nice small PC that dual boots with Win7 and other OSes.
Thanks all.

Ed

AmigaOne X5000

Raspberry PI 400 - PiMiga 1.5
"That which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" - Someone important, but I forgot who

number6 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 21:55:02
#27 ]
Elite Member

@edponpon

First, I appreciate your video.
Don't worry about my post on MPLayer, since that's a unique issue for a version OS4.x users might have.

However, I strongly recommend you read a bit on Commodore-Amiga.org about the past history, which discusses AROS.
I'm saying this as a friend. I don't want to see users trying to do something positive and end up unknowingly in the middle of controversy.

In short, this is a legal matter, that none of us should have to endure.
Amiga Inc. has been charged with the duty of playing referee between Hyperion and CommodoreUSA over the challenges to the Amiga Inc. vs Hyperion VOF settlement agreement. I hope I don't need to explain that any further.

Nameless 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 22:02:23
#28 ]

@edponpon

If someone makes an informed decision on their purchase, and doesn't try to bash Amiga people, I am fine with people buying CUSA machines. It's only when people, or I should say CUSA, tries to withhold information from consumers or be deceptive, that it annoys me.

As for requests, what I would like to see is:

Compare COS and Win 7, on the Amiga mini. You could try this in a virtual machine, setting up Win 7 as just a trial, or set it up for dual boot, if you happen to have an extra Win 7 license.

The AROS test may be interesting. I could never get AROS set up that nice and it was always buggy when I tried it. But running some Amiga software under AROS on the mini might be fun to try.

Compare it against a lower priced i5 Mac Mini -- only if you happened to own one or knew someone who would lend you theirs.

Regarding that configurator resale plan of theirs...

One thing that strikes me very peculiar is the fact that resellers, if they can use their own hardware and OS, can undercut CUSA pricing. Couldn't someone use similar or better parts (or just stuff a Zotac's internals into the CUSA case), then sell their 'Amiga Mini' for less than CUSA charges?

And if so, why would anyone buy Amigas directly from CUSA? Unless their sales are low enough that they figure it doesn't matter and might as well try to get what cash they can from the barebone cases?

edponpon 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 22:05:04
#29 ]

@number6

Fair enough, I retract my offer/statement to install AROS on the Amiga Mini. I don't have tons of time to do forum reads and "Study" a computer as of late (Getting ready to retire from the Military and start a new career), however, I'll read through the forums as much as possible to see the issues. Thanks.

Ed

Last edited by edponpon on 25-Jun-2012 at 10:06 PM.

AmigaOne X5000

Raspberry PI 400 - PiMiga 1.5
"That which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" - Someone important, but I forgot who

number6 
Posted on 25-Jun-2012 22:36:17
#30 ]
Elite Member

@edponpon

Quote:
I don't have tons of time to do forum reads and "Study" a computer as of late (Getting ready to retire from the Military and start a new career), however, I'll read through the forums as much as possible to see the issues. Thanks.

Congrats and best of luck in your new career.
I'm not trying to be vague. I just know how these threads go once the subject comes up and am trying to avoid that by saying you can get this info yourself.

Manu 
Posted on 26-Jun-2012 8:16:16
#31 ]

@number6

Well clearly he can try to install Icaros on the thing, there's no legal problem for him
doing that. No one can dictate what OS you're going to install on a PC.
Or have I interpreted you wrong here ?

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 26-Jun-2012 9:40:25
#32 ]
Cult Member

@edponpon

Thanks for the vid, at least it is a proof of its existance! The front logos are quite ugly IMHO.. Not that the upcoming "Amiga Mio" looks infinitely better...

Let me nitpick for a second: we all know "Amiga" means friend (female) in spanish, but jezz, "Mio" means mine (male). Correct name should have been either "Amiga Mia" or "Amigo Mio"…

Do you know if the "Amiga Mio" is Mini-ITX?

Cheers,
SP

CritAnime 
Posted on 26-Jun-2012 12:49:46
#33 ]
Cult Member

@Shufflepuck

Yeah it should have been Amiga Mia but hey oh. And yes it's a mini-itx computer produced by Zotac. Both the base "Amiga" Mini and Mio are the same specs. But the Mio is cheaper.

@Thread

I may be wrong on this but once the product enters someone's home aren't they free to do what ever they wish with it so long as it doesn't void the warranty. So if the op wanted to install and use AROS then shouldn't he be free to do so? I can understand someone selling a "Amiga" with AROS installed might cause headaches but to limit a private individual from installing it seems a bit crazy. It's like saying I can't install Linux on my Dell laptop.

Unless CUSA have stipulated in the warranty or EULA that a person can't.......

I am not a CUSA fan by any means but I don't like seeing someone stuck.

Last edited by CritAnime on 26-Jun-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

linnar 
Posted on 12-Jul-2012 5:59:02
#34 ]
Cult Member

You can install what you want in Cusa machines! Nobody can prosecute you for what you install and run.
Cusa has ruled previously that all their machines must be Aros-ready. I see it as their unofficial support Aros.
Interestingly, given that a CCC-dealer can get around AmHyp Agreement and deliver Cusa-Amiga with Aros preinstalled. Hope it becomes so !

Should be very interesting to see differences between Cos / Win7 / Aros / HypOS4.x so on.

Now I'm waiting for the next movie !

@ edponpon
Thanks for all the work you do for us! You should get a medal!

Last edited by linnar on 12-Jul-2012 at 06:02 AM.

vox 
Posted on 25-May-2013 18:49:16
#35 ]
Elite Member

@edponpon

Quote:
I'm assuming you mean for the video on YouTube, yea. . . .It’s not even, but then again - I don't care. I didn't make the video to piss off my fellow Amigans, just thought I'd be helpful and show an alternative. I'm sure my next video, which I plan on making this weekend, will be an even bigger hit; Setting up the Amiga Mini and showing some "Things" paired with the Amiga Mini. I'm also curious, as someone mentioned in this post, if AROS will work on the machine. It should, and if it does, then by THIS site’s own standards, that would make this computer - indirectly, An Amiga computer, since you guys consider AROS an Amiga Alternative, or distant cousin. I have some requests of you guys -

Since you are the only known CUSA "Amiga" Mini owner (as well as owner of A1 500 from your signature) it would be nice to see comparison of out of box Amiga Classic emulation AmigaOS vs COS (where I do believe COS has none without ripping amiga forever) as well as AROS on "Amiga" Mini vs AROS PPC on SAM 460. Dont forget Linux Ubuntu can also be installed on SAM.

Well, as you say, AROS makes any PC indirectly an Amiga. Since hardware in AmigaMini is way more powerful then one in SAM 460 / A1 500, real comparison would be PC of equal price of Amiga Mini with latest mint vs CommodoreOS out of box.

Quote:
After a long wait to make the final (3rd in the series video) of the Commodore USA Amiga Mini, I've decided not to make a video or even entertain the thought of showing what "was" once a computer branded by Commodore USA as an Amiga alternative. My original thought was to show all possibilities of Amigas available, whether we thought of them as true Amigas or not, and to offer people an insight into what is available and for YOU to make up your mind. Now that these guys no longer (as of 27 Nov 12) offer Amigas of any flavor, I see no reason to make a video to show off what you could have bought/made yourself. Thanks.

Edit: just discovered in another thread that you have made up your mind.

OK, it was "Amiga" only by name. You still can show AmigaOS and or LInux on your AmigaOne - SAM 460 board.

Quote:
Cusa has ruled previously that all their machines must be Aros-ready. I see it as their unofficial support Aros.

It was just choice of components, nothing more. That is not that hard to do thing. And CUSA failed to fund HD Audio driver to make it possible to be run on C64x. So, no-no, for Atom based CUSA products.

Last edited by vox on 25-May-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Last edited by vox on 25-May-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 26-May-2013 1:24:12
#36 ]
Elite Member

@vox

CUSA are defunct. Please do give a rest. This obsession of yours can't be healthy.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle