Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 161 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Templario

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Templario:  20 secs ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  14 mins ago
 RobertB:  19 mins ago
 Gunnar:  21 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  35 mins ago
 janelancy:  36 mins ago
 -Sam-:  44 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Developer Projects Forum
      /  Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Wepl 
Re: Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 15:11:26
#61 ]

I'm recently switched from OSX10.6 (SnowLeopard) to 10.7 (Lion) and now using samba 3.6.7 via MacPorts with patch for many groups.
It's working fine with smbfs 1.74 on os3.9.
I'm using 'dos charset = CP850' in the smb.conf for character translation.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 16:19:59
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Wepl

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 2-Oct-2013 7:37:21
#63 ]
Cult Member

I really would appreciate a fix so I can SAMBA with my iMac running Mountain Lion.

I can Ping my iMac with Samba in it's current form but can not file share.

Are we any closer to reanimating the situation?

olsen 
Posted on 2-Oct-2013 8:48:31
#64 ]
Cult Member

@Fairdinkem

Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:
I really would appreciate a fix so I can SAMBA with my iMac running Mountain Lion.

I can Ping my iMac with Samba in it's current form but can not file share.

Are we any closer to reanimating the situation?

A litle bit closer, but not as close as I would like. The last change I tested did not resolve one peculiar problem, which I find difficult to reproduce. Namely, at least one user reported that the file system returned junk data in the first few bytes of a file being read from a NAS server.

I'm slowly getting the rework underway again, after having been distracted by something urgent for the past few months, so stay tuned...

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 2-Oct-2013 9:29:35
#65 ]
Cult Member

@olsen

Great thanks glad it is still alive

Matt3k 
Posted on 2-Oct-2013 16:44:25
#66 ]

The biggest issue for me isthe 4 gig file limit. I know this is also an Amiga OS issue as well as SMBFS.

SMBFS 1.74 works with my big box amigas and my Qnap.

The issues I have seen:

1. Can't delete files on qnap.
2. 4 gig limit.

thinkchip 
Posted on 2-Oct-2013 21:25:37
#67 ]

@olsen

I use a program called Amiganetcenter on OS4depot. It comes with a version of Samba. My PC running XP see's the Amiga drives. I have to turn the windows firewall off and assign all the computers fixed internet addresses. It's kind of a hastle and I'd like something that works better. Also I'd like my micro and SAM to share files, but I can't get that working. We could definitely use something better than what we have.

DWolfman 
Posted on 10-Aug-2014 1:01:08
#68 ]

@olsen

I know it's been a while, but just wondering if there was any more progress on this. Been hoping for an updated SMBFS that might just take care of the upload speed issues.

Daedalus 
Posted on 11-Jun-2015 8:23:57
#69 ]

@olsen

Sorry to drag this thread from the dead, but have you had any progress with this? Also, would it be worth looking at the sources of the MorphOS version of SMBFS 2, since that appears to work fine with Windows 7 shares? If the source is available of course - I've no idea what the licencing is like for it...

KimmoK 
Posted on 11-Jun-2015 8:37:39
#70 ]
Elite Member

@thread & appple related...

Not sure if this was here already but old news refresh:
Apple replaces Samba for Windows networking services http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/23/inside_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_server_apple_replaces_samba_for_windows_networking_services/

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

olsen 
Posted on 11-Jun-2015 16:06:19
#71 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
@olsen

Sorry to drag this thread from the dead, but have you had any progress with this?

Not as much as I would have liked to. I spent considerable time trying to figure out where the authentication used by smbfs broke down, and how the protocol implementation related to the old SMB documentation, as published by Microsoft.

I managed to make the authentication not fail all the time, but this was not good enough. At the same time, a lot of work was involved in even trying to dig up the relevant documentation, with little new code to show for it. It's been tough going

Quote:
Also, would it be worth looking at the sources of the MorphOS version of SMBFS 2, since that appears to work fine with Windows 7 shares? If the source is available of course - I've no idea what the licencing is like for it...

That sounds interesting! Where might I find the source code?

Daedalus 
Posted on 12-Jun-2015 7:50:14
#72 ]

@olsen

Quote:

olsen wrote:
@Daedalus

I managed to make the authentication not fail all the time, but this was not good enough. At the same time, a lot of work was involved in even trying to dig up the relevant documentation, with little new code to show for it. It's been tough going

Oh dear, sounds like a bit of a mess really.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, would it be worth looking at the sources of the MorphOS version of SMBFS 2, since that appears to work fine with Windows 7 shares? If the source is available of course - I've no idea what the licencing is like for it...

Unfortunately I thought it would be on Sourceforge since the old version is, but it's looking like it might be implemented from scratch and so sources might not be available after all. So that could range from asking nicely to see them, through needing a bounty to release them, or even never wanting to share them with OS3 / OS4 users, depending on the developer's point of view.

I wonder if it's a port or if it's written from scratch? And if it's a port, what it's based on...

salass00 
Posted on 12-Jun-2015 9:33:06
#73 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

There are FUSE based smb filesystems (MorphOS implementation might be a port of one of them):

- SMBNetFS
- usmb

I haven't really made a serious attempt to port either one yet as they both need the libsmbclient library from the samba project and samba source code is just such a mess (the existing samba port for AmigaOS is much too old to be of any use BTW).

olsen 
Posted on 12-Jun-2015 13:03:34
#74 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
@olsen

Quote:

olsen wrote:
@Daedalus

Oh dear, sounds like a bit of a mess really.

It comes with the territory, I'm afraid The smbfs source code which I worked with was originally reverse-engineered, then used in the Linux kernel, then ported to BSD Unix. Making sense of what the contents of the individual control packets do is a challenge. The documentation is (probably) accurate, but finding the information which describes what the smbfs packets do could be easier (needle, meet haystack).

My plan (well, what goes for a plan) is to get at least as far as implementing a packet "disassembler" of sorts which takes the incoming and outgoing data apart and makes it possible to figure out what exactly is going right, and what may be wrong. To this end I already had to dig around in the Wireshark source code (which may not be authoritative when it comes to SMB) and 3rd party documentation on SMB which covers ground which may or may not be covered adequately in the Microsoft SMB documentation.

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I thought it would be on Sourceforge since the old version is, but it's looking like it might be implemented from scratch and so sources might not be available after all. So that could range from asking nicely to see them, through needing a bounty to release them, or even never wanting to share them with OS3 / OS4 users, depending on the developer's point of view.

I wonder if it's a port or if it's written from scratch? And if it's a port, what it's based on...

It seems to be possible to write SMB code from scratch by following the available documentation, but the people who did so have (as far as I can tell) trouble explaining what they did, and why. A master's secrets are only as good as his ability to explain them to others

I am speculating that the MorphOS implementation may be built around the Samba code, and specifically the client library code. The last time I had a look at it I wish I had not done so. There are things you cannot "unsee".

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle