Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RickSkid:  7 mins ago
 bhabbott:  12 mins ago
 BigD:  15 mins ago
 Diane:  17 mins ago
 VooDoo:  21 mins ago
 A1200:  25 mins ago
 pixie:  37 mins ago
 retrofaza:  38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  59 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Developer Projects Forum
      /  Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
olsen 
Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 10:54:31
#1 ]
Cult Member

There has been increased interest in getting the smbfs file system client working again with 'modern' operating system versions.

This is likely going to be a monstrously complex effort with little joy in return, for the developer, but let's see how far this can be taken.

To get this project off the ground, I need a little help. I have no clear idea of which file servers, NAS hardware, operating system versions, etc. still work with the 'smbfs' that is still in use today. From what I can tell, the picture of what doesn't work is much clearer, e.g. Windows Vista/7 and Mac OS X 10.6/10.7 do not work with smbfs any more.

If you could tell me what works for you, if you're using smbfs, that would be very helpful. Please be specific: if you know which software your file server uses, please tell me. If you know if there was a cut-off point where one server software version still worked, but the next version no longer did (e.g. Mac OS X 10.5 vs. Mac OS X 10.6) then that would be helpful, too.

Thank you!

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 11:46:18
#2 ]
Elite Member

@olsen

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/34742/cifs-vs-samba-what-are-the-differences
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leach-cifs-logon-spec-00

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Dec-2012 at 11:51 AM.

salass00 
Re: Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 12:01:47
#3 ]
Elite Member

@olsen

I have the package samba 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu (I guess this means the samba version is 3.6.3) installed on my Ubuntu PC and the shares work more or less fine when accessed with smbfs on AmigaOS 4.1.

Last edited by salass00 on 03-Dec-2012 at 12:02 PM.

GoosMcGuile 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 12:23:03
#4 ]

@olsen

my smbfs version is 1.74 and work fine with my
Synology DS112+ shares http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS112
(with 1 TB exFat HDD)

the shares on my Fritz!NAS work just fine too.

my connect script looks like this:

in user-startup:
run >NIL: Work:network/homeserver_connect.bat
in homeserver_connect.bat:
wait 5 sec
smbfs domain=WORKGROUP USER=username PASSWORD=password DEVICE=SMB1 VOLUME=HOMENAS SERVICE=//192.168.0.10/HomeNAS

EntwicklerX

jPV 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 12:24:57
#5 ]
Cult Member

@olsen

smbfs works fine with Win XP :)

vulture 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 12:31:19
#6 ]

@olsen

I believe the problem right now is with newest windows and osx versions, but soon I'll have a NAS here to try out so, I'll report back any problems that may arise.

joeled 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 12:54:54
#7 ]
Cult Member

@olsen
I m using smbfs version 1.74 with my Zyxel NSA210 and its working fine.

Daedalus 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 12:55:38
#8 ]

@olsen

It would be absolutely wonderful to have SMBFS work with more up-to-date systems! I can tell you that it works well for me with Windows XP, with my Linksys router with NAS capability, model WRT160NL, and with my Linux PC (Ubuntu 10.04) though I'm not at home so can't tell you which version of SMBFS it is.

My Macs have OS X 10.4 and 10.5 on them, but I haven't used them as a server before. And my Windows 7 virtual machine doesn't work. It allows the connection, but appears to mangle some bytes from the beginning of any files transferred, so possibly some changed header length issue or something like that...

Chris_Y 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 14:09:36
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Yeah, Win7 sort-of works. You can mount and browse, but reading files just ends up with a few bytes of garbage. IIRC writing files works correctly however.

ncafferkey 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 14:31:32
#10 ]
AROS Core Developer

@olsen

The problems with using SMBFS with modern OSes have been partly debugged in this thread: http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6867

Also, I've converted SMBFS into a "normal" handler for use in AROS, and I'd be delighted if you want to include my changes in versions for other Amiga flavours. The sources are in the ABIv0 source package found at http://aros.sourceforge.net/nightly.php in the subdirectory "workbench/network/smbfs/". Some details on the changes made are in the AROS-Exec thread above.

Amigo1 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 16:17:00
#11 ]

@olsen

AmigaOS 4.1 update 6

samba 2.2.5
smbfs 1.74
SMBMounter 1.1

Connects to
MacOS X 10.6.8
LinuxMint 14 (VirtualMachine in OS X)
Ubuntu, Lubuntu,
GNUSense

QNAP NAS firmware 3.7.3 (3.8 built 1414 actual but not tested yet)

Does not connect to MacOS X 10.8 here; Error reads as: "unknown host '192.168.1.30' (1, No error)

djrikki 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 18:08:15
#12 ]
Elite Member

@olsen

Mac OS X Lion broke SMB (Apple removed it) support, any version before that worked fine.

Further info:

http://sambaforamigaos.wordpress.com/

I maintain this site above - if you want to go to the effort of starting a Blog, PM me your email address and I'll add an account on there for you.

Okay...

AmigaOS 4.1 update 6
SMBFS 1.7.4

In my office my AmigaOne 500 connects to these perfectly fine:
iMac MacOS X 10.5.8
Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (X-RAID) RAIDator 4.1.8 firmware, access via CIFS (Common Internet File System), journaled file system, Linux Ext3/Ext4 file system apparently.

( http://www.readynas.com/?p=177#Specifications )

paolone 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 20:58:35
#13 ]

@olsen

That's easy. Amiga's SMBFS stopped working with Windows Vista. Former version of the protocol (used by Win XP and former MS OSes, and by a huge pletora of fileservers, NAS, media jukebox and so on) work.

Please look to NCafferkey's links for a better explanation about what's happening with Vista, Win7 and Win8.

nbache 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 22:37:47
#14 ]

@olsen

That sounds like a great idea! Hopefully a reimplementation will also make it possible to increase the speed (I hesitate to use the term ) of writing from AmigaOS to SMB shares.

As for working servers, I used to have it working with Win XP Pro on my wife's old laptop, but it doesn't with her new Win 7 Home Premium.

Furthermore, I have it working fine from all my Amigas to our NAS, which is (AFAIK) a ZyXel NSA-310 with some Linux distro on it. Only problem is that it uses UTF-8 for filenames, and our SMBFS cannot support this (right?). So when I store all my Danish CD rips on it, titles (filenames) with national letters in them get garbled, and some of the files can't even be read back because they end up containing invalid characters. And of course again there's the write speed issue.

Best regards,

Niels

Tom01 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 23:11:48
#15 ]

I am usin SMBFS on MorphOS with connections to OS X 10.6, Debian-Lenny and Windows XP.
On OS X I had to switch samba from utf to iso support.

Last edited by Tom01 on 05-Dec-2012 at 02:33 PM.

djrikki 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 23:25:14
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Tom01

Welcome to AmigaWorld Tom. =)

Delta_qc 
Posted on 3-Dec-2012 23:57:22
#17 ]

@olsen
I'm using 1.74 with two PC running win7 home and my Buffalo NAS. Took some time to set it up so an install script for OS4 would be great. All software made for OS4 should install itself like all modern systems. I got no time to manually copy files for simple stuff nowadays.

Thanks for asking

Amigo1 
Posted on 4-Dec-2012 6:23:01
#18 ]

@djrikki

Quote:

djrikki wrote:
@olsen

Mac OS X Lion broke SMB (Apple removed it) )

No, apparently they have not. They might have upgraded to the teh newer versions. I can connect in both directions from and to a linux box from mountain lion..

Amigo1 
Posted on 4-Dec-2012 7:00:38
#19 ]

@nbache

Quote:

nbache wrote:
@olsen

Only problem is that it uses UTF-8 for filenames, and our SMBFS cannot support this (right?). So when I store all my Danish CD rips on it, titles (filenames) with national letters in them get garbled, and some of the files can't even be read back because they end up containing invalid characters. And of course again there's the write speed issue.

Best regards,

Niels

The UTF-8 issue is odd.
Have you tried to copy files with umlauts or accents from the Amiga to a NAS for example? The filenames are OK on the destination, be it on Mac or NAS.
However, if I copy files to a Mac via Workbench they display correctly at first but disappear once I update the drawer. The files are still there when I list the contents of the directory from withinMacOS, with umlauts and all, but don't display in the workbench window. If I try to copy the same file over, i get a wb-requester asking me if I want to replace the file, I click "no" and the file reappears with it's umlauts. It disappears again once I update the drawer or after a reset.

This behavior is not shown on QNAP NAS devices (Firmware up to 3.7.3 have not tried the new v3.8 yet), the files and their names are copied correctly, the names are not garbled when accessing from MAC, Linux or WinXP, and they don't disappear and retain their accents/umlauts on the workbench window. The NAS are set to use UTF-8or UTF-16

I get garbled names when accessing a directory from a Mac to an Amiga directly. And strangely enough,

Last edited by Amigo1 on 04-Dec-2012 at 07:14 AM.

scOOby 
Posted on 4-Dec-2012 7:25:20
#20 ]

@olsen

SMBFS does not work with the SMB implementation of the Apple Airport Extreme router to which you can attach HDDs.

I would appreciate an update very much!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle